• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

New mode of transport? Is it time they scrapped the bike?

jappo

[b]Thank you for being you![/b]
    Years
    Yeah, and give your dolphin Pokemon a few tricks and manuevers like Latios/as in ORAS had for a little added fun!

[Set the youtube video I posted in my last video on the background, while thinking about this]

Yeah I totally agree! maybe make it so so the wave influence the animations of the Pokémon. Some sorts of extra animations when riding wave, a cute happy cry when you pick up speed or succesfully ride a wave for 10 seconds.

Make it a trick where you can go underwater with your dolphin pokémon, and the burst out for a small jump.

Add some other fishlike pokemon (pre evolution of the dolphin pokémon) that can swim alongside you, like a dolphin would with a boat.

MissedtheMarx

The People's Battler
    Years
    • US
    • Seen May 15, 2016
    Man I want this so bad now. It would be cool if there is also a shiny sprite programmed into the game in case you get a shiny. Also, maybe incorporate animations for moves in the overworld, like whirlpool/waterfall.

jappo

Years
    Man I want this so bad now. It would be cool if there is also a shiny sprite programmed into the game in case you get a shiny. Also, maybe incorporate animations for moves in the overworld, like whirlpool/waterfall.

Yeah, Where your character sometimes almost fall off when the dolphin goes throught a whirpool, and is drenched for a few seconds when going up/down an waterfall. How about an awesome Dive animation, where the Dolphin is speeding around the diving spot for a few seconds, to pick up some speed, before jumpdiving into that spot.

There are so many possibilities!

Why did we talk about this when the game only comes out in November? Now we have to wait 6 months :O. This is going to be difficult.

MissedtheMarx

The People's Battler
    Years
    • US
    • Seen May 15, 2016
    I know, it'll be really hard to wait xD I've been reading through hype and idea threads for the last hour and now I'm mad at myself because I have to wait. I have the game on preorder but the wait is still forever long XD

Nintendo really delivered with Gen 6 in my opinion, so I know they'll make Gen 7 awesome. The trailers alone are enough to make me desperately want this game XD

Sirfetch’d

I don't mind the bike at all so I want it to stay.

I think a surfboard would be awesome in these games! It'd make so much sense too! That said, I agree with you about the bike staying. If they did implement a surfboard, it wouldn't be very reliable as it could only be used in water.

I also wouldn't mind seeing the roller skates make a comeback. They were quite nice IMO!

jappo

Years
    Lucky you! Wich one are you pre ordering? and do you have a starter in mind?

At the time of release, I will be backpacking in Australia, but big chance ill just buy a 2ds/3ds with Pokémon Sun & Moon there.

I need something to do in the busrides ;) Maybe some X&Y and Oras, and I will have 10 months worth of games to play while waiting.

4 days ago I wasnt planning to buy a 3DS for this game, but welp, hang out too much with other hyped people, and you get infected as well. Looking at gameplay from gen 6 and the information about gen 7, I think we are in for a new addiction.

Years
    If they did implement a surfboard, it wouldn't be very reliable as it could only be used in water.

Yeah, I agree. Not a practical item to be carrying around, but if we're going to have too much water water routes then a surfboard might be one way of getting from island to island, or at least a way to navigate around an island from one beach to another instead of crossing over land.

jappo

Years
    Also, one question I've had that kinda bothered me....

why can't your character swim normally like...most other NPCs do? Is that such a hard thing to implement? oO

It does sound more badass to use your pokémon as a ferry than to swim for 5 miles. ;)

Years

why can't your character swim normally like...most other NPCs do? Is that such a hard thing to implement? oO

Because they don't have their bathing suit? I dunno. Your character is supposed to be a kid and iirc the only kids in the water have those inflatable tubes. The rest are professional swimmers or athletes or whatever else which makes them seem like they've trained to stay in the water for a while.

Years
    • Age 37
    • Seen yesterday
    It might just be a way to help build the supposed "bond" between the player trainer and their Pokemon. Like the NPC swimmers can be on their own in the water and use their Pokemon in battle, but the player trainer has to rely on their Pokemon for help.

Or maybe it's just because there's usually a long distance that needs to be covered while surfing in the games, and the routes are usually in the ocean. Swimming in the ocean across long distances is difficult without training, and since the player trainer is just some kid or a young teenager, their body isn't ready to swim through the ocean well. It's easier and safer to just hop onto a Pokemon and swim that way.

That said, to answer the question in the first post, I still think the bike is fine. Bicycles aren't out-dated, and the item worked well in previous Pokemon games. I wouldn't mind an option like the roller skates, since I don't use the bike that often but would like some way to move faster than just running. While a surfboard mechanic would be interesting to see, there also still needs to be a way to get across the land quickly, and a bike works for that.

I thought this was going to suggest all the trucks we've seen as a way to get around in the games!

Sirfetch’d

I've always assumed it's because you'd be able to access otherwise inaccessible towns and cities way too early if you could swim naturally. For example, in Kanto you'd be able to reach Cinnabar right at the start.

COOLTRAINER♂

Speedball 2: Brutal Vanilluxe
    Years
    • Seen Jul 1, 2019
    The in-game reasoning is that you aren't an experienced long-distance swimmer like the Swimmer Trainers are.

Back