• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

New Pokémon anime series announced, final saga for Ash leading to new characters

Ash Ketchum to retire after one more series

Ash Ketchum to retire after one more series

After over 20 years of being the star, Ash is retiring! He gets one more short season before stepping aside.
Years
  • Age 29
  • Seen Dec 17, 2022
Even though it's going to be sad to see the anime with Ash and Pikachu finally end, but at the same time I'm also happy that they are finally going to make a new series with new protagonists.

Also as someone who has grew up with the Pokemon anime, this really hits hard for me.

Iceshadow3317

Fictional Writer.
Years
Some funny thoughts to lighten things up:

Considering how Ash is still 10-11, I think it's safe to say the anime has condensed the incidents that happened over a period of around 25 years in the games into more or less a year. Now the inhabitants of the Pokémon anime universe can finally have a break from all the apocalyptic villains and world-ending catastrophes.

Kudos also to Liko and Roy from saving us Spanish speakers from the potential cringe that could result from Ash speaking broken Spanish in the Japanese version. Although... that comes with the possibility that the new protags might not be in Paldea for long, so we'll see. God, I still really wish the new series had been a more straightforward S/V adaptation like the web series were (think Twilight Wings or Hisuian Snow) instead of a pseudo-sequel to the original anime. That would have very much saved the mess that were the games.

Not necessarily. Given we have time traveling in all that in pokemon, that doesn't mean everything in Ash's time happened in a year or so. We know from Kanto and Johto, at least a year passed. Then it was never mentioned again until Unova, which was confirmed a soft reboot I believe, And in Kalos it was obvious he was supposed to be older they just didn't mention it.

I know we don't have an official age for the other series. But the writer has said that the Ash in Kalos and the Ash in Alola were not the same Ash. And then we had the movie adaption. These are all different timelines or alternate universes which we know exist in pokemon.

Anyway, to add more to the new girl be Ash's daughter, possibly, I am not saying she is. But she has the hair clip that is the exact same symbol as Ash's Hat.

The Mega Champion

Strategist
Years
I hope Ash and Pikachu continue their journey in the reboot movie series. It has a lot going for it and it should hopefully satisfy fans who want to see more of Ash and those who want the series to go in a new direction.

Don't count on it. There has to be a reason there hasn't been a new one since the Zarude one

Most importantly... what'll become of Team Rocket's antics now?

They might be getting replaced as well. If they want to do a true 'hard reboot' then that's what will happen. But I could also see them returning in an attempt to lure people to continue to watch it so they have some sort of semblance of what the show was before.

Years
  • Seen May 1, 2023
Add me to the list of people who thought they should have changed protagonists ages ago. But I am intrigued to see what new direction this will take the anime...

Iceshadow3317

Fictional Writer.
Years
What's going to happen to James?

All the voice actors from the Pokemon Anime are starting to get older, so with how VAs are handled in Japan, they will all have to be retired in time. So he will probably be retired.

I mean the voice actress for Ash is 54 and has been the same person from the start.

Years
  • Age 24
  • Seen Oct 26, 2023
I got mixed feeling about this, its like letting go of someone who has been real close to you for 25 years. Ash and Pikachu were not only my first friends but my first teachers. I learned the word Pikachu before joining a school and started drawing the Pokémon cartoons. I am truly gonna miss these guys. Not sure, what the future holds for them. But, I would've loved to see Ash age and explore a little more, destroy team rocket once and for all. Have a final battle with Giovanni. Catch Ho-oh and literally become a Pokémon Master. Right now, he is a Champion, strongest in the world but being a Pokémon Master is not only about being the strongest trainer, its all about understanding Pokémon and respecting their feelings. In a sense, Ash is already a Pokémon Master. There have been times when Ash kept his feelings aside and let his Pokémon choose for themselves. This is what a true Pokémon Master is.
In my opinion, Ash has always been a Pokémon Master, and now he is The World Champion. There couldn't have been a better way to end Ash and Pikachu's journey. This is the end of an era. You will always be missed. No one can replace you!

Jiggykoopbob

Local Pokémon loving Goomba. (Flair theme: SM64DS)
Years
I'm mostly concerned about this also being Team Rocket's departure. The talking Meowth made them all the more special and unique then pretty much all the other characters in the show in my opinion.

I'm sure i'll pass on watching this new Gen 9 series if Team rocket won't be in it.

pastelspectre

Memento Mori★
Years
im personally very excited for this, this has been needed for a while. that doesnt mean that i wont miss ash and pikachu, theyre a huge staple of the series and i am curious if pikachu will stay the pokemon mascot, or if it will change to something different. i am also curious to see how the new main character is personality wise.

i will also miss team rocket, and i am curious to see who will be the new main villains.

Years
im personally very excited for this, this has been needed for a while. that doesnt mean that i wont miss ash and pikachu, theyre a huge staple of the series and i am curious if pikachu will stay the pokemon mascot, or if it will change to something different. i am also curious to see how the new main character is personality wise.

i will also miss team rocket, and i am curious to see who will be the new main villains.

Yeah I've also been thinking about the new mascot. Pikachu is so iconic, closest well get is Eevee and maybe Meowth but those have served their time too so I'm not sure if they'll use them. Looks like the protagonist has a Sprigatito and I wonder if that one will become a new mascot or if they'll shift it up each year with each new gen. Either way Riko has a cute design and Sprig is adorable so I look forward to it! ❤️

pastelspectre

Memento Mori★
Years
Yeah I've also been thinking about the new mascot. Pikachu is so iconic, closest well get is Eevee and maybe Meowth but those have served their time too so I'm not sure if they'll use them. Looks like the protagonist has a Sprigatito and I wonder if that one will become a new mascot or if they'll shift it up each year with each new gen. Either way Riko has a cute design and Sprig is adorable so I look forward to it! ❤️

yeah! i didnt think abt sprigatito potentially becoming the new mascot, but i wouldn't be opposed. they're a cute pokemon and i think it would work well.

tigertron

Pokémon Master
Years
From what I can tell, the one special that is airing before the 11 Episode Final Arc is about the Ash in the new movie universe. He is wearing the same hat that he has worn in the other new movies. They could very well continue making movies with Ash. While the last one was good, it wasn't the greatest one to be the final movie. Not counting the remake of the first movies, we are sitting at 17 movies total. I think it would be nice to make at least three more in the new movie universe.
You're right, I've just been watching the first episode. It's a real shame that Ash's reboot story is also coming to an end, so I really hope we have a satisfying conclusion.

The Mega Champion

Strategist
Years
I'm mostly concerned about this also being Team Rocket's departure. The talking Meowth made them all the more special and unique then pretty much all the other characters in the show in my opinion.

I'm sure i'll pass on watching this new Gen 9 series if Team rocket won't be in it.

If it's a true 'hard reboot' I would expect them to be leaving/replaced as well and new villains to show up. That's what a 'hard reboot' means. Funny how everyone complains about how the villains in the anime are 'bad' and shouldn't be 'jokes' yet when people are given what they want... the contradict themselves and then claim they never wanted it in the first place. I'm not saying you are one of these people I'm just generally speaking here.

Pretty ridiculous excuse to not watch it but you do you

Years
  • Age 24
  • Seen Jan 22, 2023
I'm currently believing that this saga will not focus as much on battles and will instead be more focused on research and exploration.

Iceshadow3317

Fictional Writer.
Years
I'm currently believing that this saga will not focus as much on battles and will instead be more focused on research and exploration.

I don't really care about research side of things given that Journeys was simi like that. But this is what I am hoping for. Exploration and Story. I am sure there will still be plenty of battling it is pokemon after all. But it doesn't have to be the main focus.

Sweet Serenity

Advocate of Truth
Years
All I could say is good riddance to one of the worst protagonists in fiction history. Goodbye Ash Ketchum. You will not be missed. Pikachu? Good riddance to you too while you're here!

randompokemonfan02

i like pokemon
Days
  • Age 15
  • Seen Mar 10, 2024
The end of ashs journey was sad for many and its crazy to think a whole new generation will grow up on the 2 new protagonists and not now the journey of ash Ketchum a kid who had to catch em all and wanted to become a pokémon master

Back