• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

[Let's Go] New Pokémon Let’s Go footage shown at E3, Mew Gift from Poké Ball Plus

Years
    • Seen May 6, 2023
    Really don?t understand the backlash behind forcing you to have a grass or water type before the first gym. You guys need to understand that not every game is catered towards us. The developers have EXPLICITLY stated that the purpose of this game was to be catered towards a casual, newcomer audience. This audience might not know typing and might not explore every aspect of the world before charging off to the first gym. Also has everyone forgotten that the games are called ?Let?s Go?? And that they are connected to the mobile game Go? The main purpose of that game was to catch as many Pokemon as possible. Junichi Masuda said during E3 that he wanted people to catch as many Pokemon as they could in Let?s Go.

!

because weakness for rock isn't really that hard to understand and like bobandbill have said they could have suggested subtlety to have gym guy to say "rock is weak to water and grass" like they have done every gym. This is just GF looking down on "causal players" saying "hey newbie! I bet you don't know about type match ups so let me educate you noobs! follow after me Rock is weak to water and grass! "

The Best there was

Training To Be The Best
    Years
  • I cant believe how upset so many people are over this.
    Yes many of us have played for years (myself since R/B/Y) but not everybody has.

Also in the anime and Origins, Brock goes over type advantage a fair bit so its kind of following that anyway.
    I am sure it will only be for the first gym, no biggie.

Just saw this on Eurogamer website who had a chance to play the game, talking about Viridian Forest.

"You could catch the traditional Kanto starter Pok?mon in this area, although otherwise it was an exact replica of the area from Red, Blue and Yellow."

So we will have Squirtle and Bulbasaur to get us inside the gym door and then use whoever you choose.

Last edited:

Altairis

take me ☆ take you
    Years
  • I don't mind the aspect of it being to educate newer players to the series. My qualm is that it forces you to put them in your party. Consider the first gym in Black and White. The setup up was all about type advantages, and you also could get a free elemental monkey Pokemon nearby to help you overcome it too. But you were never forced to take it with you! The game was very clear about how typing works at that stage of the game, but it didn't outright make you have to carry the "right" Pokemon. For me, this does go against the whole "use your favourites" of Pokemon, and even if it's Kanto only we have over a hundred to choose from.

Encouraging catching as many Pokemon as possible can be done in other ways like sidequests and instant rewards (exp, Candy - so that's already happening), so I don't see this as being helpful to it either. The Gym guy could have just said "welcome! I suggest using Water and Grass types - if you don't have any and want an easier time here, check out Viridian Forest for some Grass types", and that would have sufficed in teaching new players. If they went ahead and ignored that text and lost, well, losing in a video game is also a learning experience. They could also be told that advice upon revisiting the Gym if they lost, an easy thing to track. Furthermore (not saying you specifically do this mind), nobody needs to pretend that mobile games or young kids now won't be able to overcome losing once in a while, despite Masuda's comments on that of late.

Multiple game sites have commented that apparently the PC storage is actually in your box. So we don?t have to go back to the PC and we really do just have to show him anything, then swap the mon out without backtracking. Has this been deconfirmed? Is it really that big of a deal?

While i don?t agree with their decision to make the game easier, they?ve said they want a more casual pick up and play experience, which to me is synonymous with less grinding and easier play.

because weakness for rock isn't really that hard to understand and like bobandbill have said they could have suggested subtlety to have gym guy to say "rock is weak to water and grass" like they have done every gym. This is just GF looking down on "causal players" saying "hey newbie! I bet you don't know about type match ups so let me educate you noobs! follow after me Rock is weak to water and grass! "

sure it?s not that hard for you, a Pokemon fan, to understand, but many series use types differently so it?s good to have an explanation. sure water and rock is kinda obvious but Grass might be kinda iffy, and other types especially are DEFINITELY not intuitive (ice/water, poison, dark, etc), so no, they?re not looking down on casuals at all.

bobandbill

one more time
    Years
  • Multiple game sites have commented that apparently the PC storage is actually in your box. So we don?t have to go back to the PC and we really do just have to show him anything, then swap the mon out without backtracking. Has this been deconfirmed? Is it really that big of a deal?
    The PC storage being on person is correct, think it was shown outright in the videos. That's something I quite like. Poor Name Rater may be out of a job though.

It's not a big deal, relatively speaking, but it is still bad game design to force the player to do something like this, especially when Game Freak have examples of doing it well in previous games. And the best case scenario is still assuming the person has something they caught that qualifies or hasn't already been released for stat-boosting candy. There's still a decent chance the player, after thinking they are ready to take on the gym, will be turned away to find a grass type as opposed to merely being encouraged to do so, or rewarded via a sidequest, compared to only being allowed to continue the game.
    sure it?s not that hard for you, a Pokemon fan, to understand, but many series use types differently so it?s good to have an explanation. sure water and rock is kinda obvious but Grass might be kinda iffy, and other types especially are DEFINITELY not intuitive (ice/water, poison, dark, etc), so no, they?re not looking down on casuals at all.
    have you ever tried to punch a bird

Years
    • Seen Nov 5, 2021
    Regarding the difficulty, all I can say is that I was like 7 when I first played pokemon red, and I did get through it (with a charmander no less. sidenote:Whoa. it just dawned on me that Charmander was my first ever pokemon. I'm not even a charizard stan), despite the need to grind, the nonlinear storyline, the lack of handholding and, in my case, the fact that I was a non-native english speaker playing in english. So I think with all the quality of life improvements and the exp. share, casuals would be fine with a bit less handholding.

Altairis

take me ☆ take you
    Years
  • The PC storage being on person is correct, think it was shown outright in the videos. That's something I quite like. Poor Name Rater may be out of a job though.

It's not a big deal, relatively speaking, but it is still bad game design to force the player to do something like this, especially when Game Freak have examples of doing it well in previous games. And the best case scenario is still assuming the person has something they caught that qualifies or hasn't already been released for stat-boosting candy. There's still a decent chance the player, after thinking they are ready to take on the gym, will be turned away to find a grass type as opposed to merely being encouraged to do so, or rewarded via a sidequest, compared to only being allowed to continue the game.
    have you ever tried to punch a bird

Not really sure why you brought up fighting/flying when I didn't, but what i meant was many other series use fire/ice as a classic pair, where ice can KO fire and vice versa (Zelda as an example), and sometimes ice is sometimes more powerful than water or part of the same element. You can use a rock to pretty easily dig up grass and ice, but why is only one weak? Its obvious that Earthquake shouldn't affect Flying-types, but what about Bonemerang (which is usually depicted as Marowak throwing a physical object)? Why is ghost weak to dark when theoretically ghosts only appear at night, when it's dark and they should be more powerful? Why is dragon weak to ice when there are plenty of ice dragons existing in fiction? Just saying, stuff like that isn't obvious to everybody.

But yeah, punching a bird is hard I guess.

I hadn't thought about the chance the player had already released the 'mon for candy, I see that as a legit concern. I guess they will just want you to go out and catch another then.

Last edited:
    Years
  • I don't mind the aspect of it being to educate newer players to the series. My qualm is that it forces you to put them in your party. Consider the first gym in Black and White. The setup up was all about type advantages, and you also could get a free elemental monkey Pokemon nearby to help you overcome it too. But you were never forced to take it with you! The game was very clear about how typing works at that stage of the game, but it didn't outright make you have to carry the "right" Pokemon. For me, this does go against the whole "use your favourites" of Pokemon, and even if it's Kanto only we have over a hundred to choose from.

Encouraging catching as many Pokemon as possible can be done in other ways like sidequests and instant rewards (exp, Candy - so that's already happening), so I don't see this as being helpful to it either. The Gym guy could have just said "welcome! I suggest using Water and Grass types - if you don't have any and want an easier time here, check out Viridian Forest for some Grass types", and that would have sufficed in teaching new players. If they went ahead and ignored that text and lost, well, losing in a video game is also a learning experience. They could also be told that advice upon revisiting the Gym if they lost, an easy thing to track. Furthermore (not saying you specifically do this mind), nobody needs to pretend that mobile games or young kids now won't be able to overcome losing once in a while, despite Masuda's comments on that of late.

I definitely do stand with you on this topic, Marcin. While these games are trying to appeal to younger audiences, forcing them to have a certain type in their team is going too far. I feel the Striaton Gym in B/W did a really good example at an introduction to type matchups, and getting the free elemental monkey (Pansage/Pansear/Panpour) to help you beat that Gym. At least with the monkeys, you're not forced to use them, and since the elemental monkeys are notably hated by most Pokemon fans, it's clear why I hear so many people boxing them after beating that Gym.

And as you said, forcing a certain type on your team definitely goes against the "use your favourites" quote. It will also completely ruin self-imposed challenges like Nuzlockes and Monotypes.

bobandbill

one more time
    Years
  • Not really sure why you brought up fighting/flying when I didn't, but what i meant was many other series use fire/ice as a classic pair, where ice can KO fire and vice versa (Zelda as an example), and sometimes ice is sometimes more powerful than water or part of the same element. You can use a rock to pretty easily dig up grass and ice, but why is only one weak? Its obvious that Earthquake shouldn't affect Flying-types, but what about Bonemerang (which is usually depicted as Marowak throwing a physical object)? Why is ghost weak to dark when theoretically ghosts only appear at night, when it's dark and they should be more powerful? Why is dragon weak to ice when there are plenty of ice dragons existing in fiction? Just saying, stuff like that isn't obvious to everybody.

But yeah, punching a bird is hard I guess.

I hadn't thought about the chance the player had already released the 'mon for candy, I see that as a legit concern. I guess they will just want you to go out and catch another then.
    Ah, sorry, it was a reference to a webcomic rather than a serious response, haha. http://www.awkwardzombie.com/comic1-081610.php

Agreed that a lot of them are just weird or not immediately obvious.

Years
    • Seen Jan 22, 2023
    I don't like that you are forced to have a Grass or Water type in order to face Brock. This is handholding at the most excessive.

Years
  • I don't like that you are forced to have a Grass or Water type in order to face Brock. This is handholding at the most excessive.

If that wasn't annoying enough, I also have a massive disdain over the new rival, Trace. Not only is he a dumbed-down excuse of a replacement for the iconic Blue, but then there's the fact his character traits describe him as "being scared of everything".

Friendly rivals definitely are something most fans are sick of, but what I feel makes Trace worse than even the XY rivals is the fact that he's a coward. Having a rival that's actually a coward is probably the dumbest character to give to a rival.

Years
    • Seen Jan 22, 2023
    If that wasn't annoying enough, I also have a massive disdain over the new rival, Trace. Not only is he a dumbed-down excuse of a replacement for the iconic Blue, but then there's the fact his character traits describe him as "being scared of everything".

Friendly rivals definitely are something most fans are sick of, but what I feel makes Trace worse than even the XY rivals is the fact that he's a coward. Having a rival that's actually a coward is probably the dumbest character to give to a rival.
    Yeah. I am not a fan of Trace. I think that he is the worst rival in the entire franchise.

Years
  • Yeah. I am not a fan of Trace. I think that he is the worst rival in the entire franchise.

Yeah.

I feel even the XY rivals are better than him. I'd rather tolerate a cute girl, a dancer and someone who's obsessed with the Pokedex rather than a blatant childish coward.

Years
    • Age 122
    • Seen Jan 27, 2019
    I hope the rival at least develops his character beyond weak coward rival to make him a little less generic pushover. Actually that might be too much to ask for in a Pokemon GO spinoff.

Last edited:

EmTheGhost

I say a lot of words
    Years
  • I have some pretty bad anxiety issues, myself, so the concept that Trace is "afraid of everything" makes him much more interesting to me as a character. I hope he gets a good (or at least decent) character arc.

Years
    • Seen May 6, 2023
    I have some pretty bad anxiety issues, myself, so the concept that Trace is "afraid of everything" makes him much more interesting to me as a character. I hope he gets a good (or at least decent) character arc.

HA HA HA HA HA! Good one!
    We already had a character who were wimpy and anxious on everything that became a badass earlier...
    remember this kid?
    latest

pocketmonsterrealm

Fan since Crystal
    Years
  • i got the impression that the Let's Go games are introductory games for newer players while the 2019 games will not be and be more for the old time pokefans

Back