• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

5th Gen New Protagonists or Hilbert and Hilda?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Oryx

CoquettishCat
Years
  • Age 31
  • Seen Jan 30, 2015
Netto pointed this out last night when the news came out and I thought this was interesting.

Hilda and Hilbert both had brown hair and blue/brown eyes respectively, like the two main characters shown there. They also had similar color schemes. However, nowhere is it mentioned that they're Hilda/Hilbert, so it's assumed they're new characters. Do you think they're new or the old ones redesigned?

Bonus: If they're the old ones redesigned, does that make the rival a redesigned Cheren?

Edit: Pictures!

Hilbert:
Spoiler:

Hilda:
Spoiler:

Cheren:
Spoiler:

Last edited:

Ho-Oh

used Sacred Fire!
Years
  • Age 32
  • Seen Jul 1, 2023
I really do think they look similar but I'm... not sure. Like basically all the clothing reflects everything in the other character BUT I kinda wanna believe that they're different. tbh though, they do look more "grown up" than the possibly "other versions".

Rival doesn't look like Cheren imo, but I'd be willing to play with the idea of them growing up and becoming these new people. :3

Comerion

DGXZ
Years
They probably will. In platinum they changed, (well, in clothing) and as they seemed to be changing stuff up a lot, its even more likely.

Chiar

Years
  • Age 25
  • Seen May 5, 2014
If they are the same characters then why would they start their journey again after 2 years and becoming a champion? Doesn't make any sense in my opinion.

User19sq

I'll admit, they look similar, yes, but I highly doubt that they're the same people. My top reasons being that, if they announced who the Gym Leaders are, then they surely would announce that these characters are also the same as the prequel. My other reason being that, if they're the same people, then they'd be set to continue their journey, rather than restarting their journeys. And an extra reason is that Bianca's missing from the picture (unless she suffered some sort of fate, be it death or simply leaving).

But that's just me. XDDDDDDDDDDDDDD

SolarAbusoru

Go Go PokéRangers
Years
They all look nothing alike, plus, the new rival has a quote saying 'It's time to get angry.' which completely contradicts Cherens character development. So no, they're new characters.

Cello

Tonight!
Years
The story takes place 2 years in the future, and somebody had to be there during the events that took place prior.
I personally think it would be a bad move if they replaced the old characters with someone new, as it would make you feel like your progress in B/W was meaningless when you see that someone else prevented Team Plasma from doing their thang.
Not saying that your data will carry over in any way, but I personally think it would be doing the fan better service if they saw Hilda/Hilbert as a hero in B2/W2 so they can relate and say "Hey, that was me!"

I think they're unrelated.

Ho-Oh

used Sacred Fire!
Years
  • Age 32
  • Seen Jul 1, 2023
If they are the same characters then why would they start their journey again after 2 years and becoming a champion? Doesn't make any sense in my opinion.

Well, same thing has happened to third game characters before. ;x Just take the events of Black and White out of mind and it's just a matured region tbh.

Years
They all look nothing alike, plus, the new rival has a quote saying 'It's time to get angry.' which completely contradicts Cherens character development. So no, they're new characters.
This, plus it says he's a "new character" so unless they're trying to trick us or just wandering aimlessly in the dark it's not Cheren.

Cello

Tonight!
Years

Alright, I like the new rival, but "It's time to get angry"?
That's.... not something you should pursue with such enthusiasm.

blue

gucci
Years
They could have maintained the appearences to keep the Unova feel to the game, either that or they are relatives.. they just look too similar.

Years
  • Age 31
  • Seen Apr 21, 2024
The game is set two years after the events in Black and White. They're completely new characters.

PlatinumDude

Nyeh?
Years
Until I came to this thread, I didn't see the resemblance between Hilbert/Hilda and the new protagonists. As said above, I don't think those are actually Hilbert/Hilda because since B2/W2 take place after the B/W storyline, it doesn't make sense for the older protagonists to start over again. Maybe Hilbert/Hilda and the new protagonists could be long-lost cousins?

I still think that Cheren and the new rival are completely different people, however.

SinisterEternity

→ Friends call me SE, or Neo ~
Years
Yeah these guys are just brand new protagonists.
Not sure if I like it as much as Hilbert and Hilda though. Don't know, well, I like the guy good enough, the girl is okay, but the new rival ... certainly design-wise I personally find Cheren to look much better. But that's me. xD

Though I don't like the girl's shirt and skirt together, but at least it's nice that she's wearing something for her legs unlike Hilda.
I just hope that the sprites will look good, and I wonder if Hilbert, Hilda, Cheren or Bianca will be mentioned in the new games or not at all. :I

Bluerang1

pin pin
Years
They look very, very similar and are said to be older (17). However Hilbert and Hilda look older haha.

Whom I prefer? Hilbert and Hilda because the were a fresh breeze to the younger protagonists and looked good. These guys, though highly fashionable, look younger which I don't like. But really, what a great set of protagonists!

Also I like the slyness of the rival. I wanted two but this guy seems good enough to pull that weight. This is going to be an amazing game.

Edit: Eww no, the guy's shoes, no. I like the compression tights but the shoes are just wrong. So fully prefer Hilbert and Hilda, but these two, again, are really cool. Great job Mr. Sugimori!

Years
  • Seen Apr 28, 2012
Probably just me here but It'd be nice to create our own a pokemon protagonist, considering the fact that they expect us to get attached to these characters and so on but that won't happen, but if I had to pick Hilbert of course

miltankRancher

Mega Ampharos is the one.
Years
Looks a grown-up version of H Duo, but the rival is nowehere near Cheren IMO. It could posiible be a whole new rival.

of course, Cheren COULD be the league master.

Mista T

Pityin' fools.
Years
The new protagonists actually look younger than Hilbert and Hilda (something I wouldn't have noticed had those pictures not been in juxtaposition). Their eyes look significantly more youthful, and we know that Hilbert and Hilda were already fairly mature, being 16.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back