• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

5th Gen New Types?

Status
Not open for further replies.

blue

gucci
    Years
    I'm sure if they were going to introduce a new type, they would have by now, there's been 3 generations since Steel & Dark was introduced and that was to balance it out and when Pokemon was getting started.

Ger Japa

Pokémon Master
    Years
    If new style, make it sound type, pokemon who fights with loud noise, that sounds great...

Years
    What? Logical and constructive debate isn't beating anyone down. I for one was completely against light as a type but because of this thread I'm much more open to light and reversely much more against sound type which makes little sense and doesn't have the depth to be a full on type. In my opinion at least.

Yeah, I agree with Waffle-san. We don't agree on whether or not to include new types, but the only people that have been disrespectful are the ones who don't read the thread and post about stuff we already talked about long ago. Waffle-san has brought up some really good points.

Anyway, I am STILL intrigued by a Glass/Crystal type as a Sp.Def parallel to Steel. You know, weak to Rock, Steel, and one other, but resistant to a whole lot of other types. I haven't sat down and made a type chart for it, but I have awesome ideas in my head for Glass/Crystal type pokemon designs, including parallel evos for Pokemon traded holding a "crystal coat." A glass/crystal onix (Crystix) and a glass/crystal Pinsir are at the top of my list.

................. and I'm not a kid. I'm 26 ................

Years
    I like the idea of glass or crystal pokemon, but not as a new types. Glass is essentially melted sand and crystals (in the sense of precious gems) seem very rock-like to me. I can see Fire, Ground or Rock types covering any conceivable glass or crystal pokemon and therefore no need for a new type to cover them.

Circuit

[cd=font-weight: bold; font-style: italic; backgro
    Years
    That's like saying the electric type should be super-effective against bug. That doesn't make any sense now does it?

How about electricution?

Anyway, Light type does seem unnessessary, but would be good addition. I don't see why so many people are against it. It makes sense to add it now, seeing as the title is Black and White, Dark and Light. I see Bug, Dragon, Fire, Electric, and possibly Psychic types thriving against it, making them a more common threat, instead of the usually. It would create a whole new chalenge to the in-game and metagame, making it more fun, trying to create ways to defend against it. The metagame specifically. I see light being used as a Special Sweeper. This is all speculation however, and is equally likely not to happen.

Mifune

*Lurk Lurk Lurk*
    Years
    Because adding the one Light type would screw up the metagame who knows how much (though I don't fully understand the metagame, and I won't try for a while. lol), I'd propose that along with the Light type, there'd be Void type, which would be the opposite. Light is pretty much the creation of things, while Void is desctruction; emptyness. The two types would be super effective against each other, but neutral to everything else. That way, the whole type setting effectiveness doesn't get screwed much, and we get our Yin-Yang idea.

Forgive me if this idea was already said, I didn't really want to read through six pages of posts. Lol

JokesterJesee

JokesterJesse*
    Years
    • Seen Jul 22, 2011
    I hope they have like a light type I think that would be cool, well maybe.

It really would probably screw the game up so. Honestly No light is necessary, thats pretty much normal but lighter haha

~JKJesse~

xDaisuke0

Aspiring Professor
    Years
    ChrisTom i'm totally on your side here, and have been thinking this way before Black And White was introduced and now it's definitely going to happen!!
    I think the best way they could introduce it would be to make it something like this:
    Maybe in this new Isshu Region, Dark types are many and the main plot could have something to with Darkness taking over? So the Light type is created. Some old Pokemon will have to change, but it can still work with them not changing due to some fans being stingy ~_~.
    Simple enough? it can be like...a Light Pokemon Revolution at first? And they might go out of control with their power and turn evil? hence making the light side evil for one game and the dark side evil in the other game.
    Light types could definitely work and people should stop complaining that it will "upset the balance" :O

Because adding the one Light type would screw up the metagame who knows how much (though I don't fully understand the metagame, and I won't try for a while. lol), I'd propose that along with the Light type, there'd be Void type, which would be the opposite. Light is pretty much the creation of things, while Void is desctruction; emptyness. The two types would be super effective against each other, but neutral to everything else. That way, the whole type setting effectiveness doesn't get screwed much, and we get our Yin-Yang idea.

Forgive me if this idea was already said, I didn't really want to read through six pages of posts. Lol

Light is not creation ~_~ If anything Water is, or Grass which is Nature and the opposite is destruction which is Fire. We already have that grass/fire. But with light the opposite is DARK, i think that's pretty clear there...
    The opposite of Void is hmm..idk, Void just seems strange to be a Pokemon Type, it's not an element at all.

Last edited:

PKMN Trainer Silver

PKMN Master
    Years
    Lets think about this for a little bit with Ying and Yang meaning that Dark and Light would have to be polar opposites.

Dark
    Weak To: Bug, Fighting...I think that's it. It doesn't hurt Rock or Steel much
    Strong Against: Psychic (immune) and Ghost

Now that's not a very big
    So Psychic would have to cripple Light and Bug be an immunity (since Fighting is immuned by Ghost). If anything I think that Light and Dark will probably SE each other

GoldvsRed

Geodude is a pretty cool guy.
    Years
    So long as Poison-Types and Bug-Types are super-effective against it, I'm fine with it. If they don't make the Light-Type, they should at least make Poison-Types strong against Flying-Types (air pollution). A Light-Type will be quite the expected addition, and I'm not really against it.

Waffle-San

Blue-Steel
    Years
    One of the biggest thing that makes me question the possibility of new types is just simply, why not gen. 3? I mean it would have been perfect since the addition of Dark and Steel were still quite recent in memory, the pokedex was still relatively small, 3rd generation added the largest amount of Pokemon that we've seen so far (barring generation 1) and it had already sacrificed connectivity with the previous two generations. If a new type was to be added, generation III would have been the time to do it in my mind.

cystar

Favorite Pokemon is Politoed
    Years
    I would say becasue the dark type is already in there would be no light type

Mifune

*Lurk Lurk Lurk*
    Years
    For me to clarify on m earlier post; I was referring to light as sunlight. Without sunlight, you can't have grass, water, etc. Therefore, a Light element would more alligned as "Creation"

And Void is destruction, the absence of life, so a Void element would be alligned with "Destruction"

I say this, because we have the Dark type, but it's considered Dark from it's cheap way of fighting (see sucker punch, payback, taunt, pursuit, bite, and crunch if you don't get it. They're cheap ways to fight) which is why the fighting type, or the noble way to fight, is super effective, and why psychics can't control them, because of their nasty minds and such. It's why the Dark type is called the Evil type in Japanese

(forgive me, most of you know this, Im just restating it to backup my idea)

So if you look at it that way, the Dark type can't really work against the Light type if that were to happen, so to add a Void type would be a god parallel.

Years
    One of the biggest thing that makes me question the possibility of new types is just simply, why not gen. 3? I mean it would have been perfect since the addition of Dark and Steel were still quite recent in memory, the pokedex was still relatively small, 3rd generation added the largest amount of Pokemon that we've seen so far (barring generation 1) and it had already sacrificed connectivity with the previous two generations. If a new type was to be added, generation III would have been the time to do it in my mind.

Yeah, I was thinking about this. Maybe, if it's added now, a "precedent" could be set that whenever two generations come out for the same system, we can expect a new type or two.

But it really does make sense now, since the new region is so far removed from the others. That will allow them to make basically any change without having to retcon.

Haza

☆A Life of Pokémon and Beyoncé ☆
    Years
    • Age 32
    • Seen Oct 1, 2021
    Oh my, that could be true... the fact that we are getting this generation on the same system as the last was strange enough, so I wouldn't be too surprised if it were to bring a new type or two.

Setosama

LegendaryPokemon Trainer
    Years
    • Seen Sep 24, 2010
    Oh my, that could be true... the fact that we are getting this generation on the same system as the last was strange enough, so I wouldn't be too surprised if it were to bring a new type or two.

Yeah, the last time we got a set of games on the same system from different generations we got a PLETHORA of new additions to the game! Namely the two types and gender, which allowed for actually BREEDING in the games. (players could now become Brock/Takeshi! Horray for you! :D)

And as for the addition of a new type(s):

Is it necessary? I don't really give a damn about that. Probably isn't though.

Would it be fun? HELLS YES IT WOULD!!!

If they came out with two new types though... Light would be an OBVIOUS choice... But what, if more than one new type, else could they add?

We've already have info about that one technique that boosts Atk and Accuracy! What's to stop them from making an entirely new type?

Ravecat

I'm Right.
    Years
    I highly doubt there will be a "plethora" of additions, just as I do not believe one would consider it a plethora in GSC.

There will be lots, maybe. An enjoyable amount, hopefully.

Haza

☆A Life of Pokémon and Beyoncé ☆
    Years
    • Age 32
    • Seen Oct 1, 2021
    Also, does anyone agree that Psychic is somewhere in between Light and Dark... here is how I think of it

Light: generally Holy, angelic, innocent, and pure. Of course there will be times where it does actually involve illumination, but this is not the general basis of the type. It opposes the Dark type in every way, being weak to it, while simultaneously being Super Effective on it...

Dark: Sinister, evil, and often the absence of light. Already, most Dark types have a very intimidating appearance and are often black in color.

Psychic: Telepathic/Telekinetic. Mind Control/Reading, Magic... I think of Psychic as the one which would bring darkness and light together, but not actually being apart of either. Just think of tarot cards and voodoo.

Status
    Not open for further replies.
    Back