• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

5th Gen New Types?

Status
Not open for further replies.

0m3GA ARS3NAL

Im comin' home...
Years
  • Honestly, I doubt Gen IV and Gen V will have compatibility beyond a time-capsule or pal park type thing. The logistics of doing anything else are just crazy.

Agreed
    The Time Capsule Idea was a good one back in the days of G/S/C, and it worked.
    It kept the pokemon out that it wanted out, and it let pokemon in that it wanted in.

JakeyBoy

Riddle me this
    Years
  • BleuVII said:
    Yes, which is why martial arts masters cower at the sight of birds (Flying>Fighting)
    Can't beat what you can't reach, hon. ;D

Surely the reason new types weren't added in the last two generations was because the typing is as good as it needs to be now. Steel was added to great an absurdly defensive type, and Dark is there knock Ghosts and Psychics off their pedestal. Though I wouldn't be totally against new additions, Light seems like it could apply to too many existing Pokemon, especially legendaries.

fenyx4

HOENN CONFIRMED!
    Years
  • Personally, I'd be fine with the types if Light-type was the last one added. Aside from counterparting Dark (as many have seen, 'counterparting' is a big thing in the Pokemon games, which I enjoy as well), it could introduce newer concepts for Pokemon (just look at Incensire in Pokemon Garnet Version being developed in the Showcase thread here on PC). Furthermore, new moves could be played off of this type (the thing that bugs me is that moves like Flash Cannon, Doom Desire, and Luster Purge already reference light, so adding Light-type would possibly mean changing the types of those moves of well, which as of now, I'm not entirely in favor of)...

And though I'm not an expert in the supposed "Pokemon metagame", I am sick and tired of people stating that the Dark and Steel-types were added simply for "balance" . What if Satoshi Tajiri and the game developers just added them for the sake of Pokemon diversity? Yes, balance could have played a part in adding the types, but it is not the sole reason for the addition of the types. Pokemon wasn't created simply for the metagame; there are a plethora of other enjoyable aspects of the franchise, which includes all the stories, legends, and so forth...

And I agree, a game needs balance, but that doesn't mean that new types are banned in Pokemon forever...sheesh. Let's just be a bit more open-minded...

And lastly, adding a new type hasn't been done since the days of GSC (barring Colosseum and XD's Shadow-type, which doesn't really count because it is unusable in the main series games anyway). Generation V needs some form of innovation, and the battle system, IMO, is running out of ideas...

Light-type FTW (with balance in mind)!

Juu-Chan

partGiratinabutwon'tsaywh ere
    Years
  • I agree with all the confusion Light types would bring. But I'm mostly for, anyway. Although Pokemon would begin to seem a lot like Yugioh then :s

I want an Irish type dammit! ><

Esmas

General
    Years
  • I'd love to see a Light-type. Though it may be considered 'unnecessary', I think the Pokémon world needs another 'legendary' or 'sacred' type, such as Dragon.

But there are other type possibilities out there as well. I've seen fan games with types such as Virus.

Cyberglass

the stuff Porygon are made of
    Years
    • Seen Jun 1, 2022
    One type I thought of while trying to design fakemon was Glass type, since it doesn't seem to fit into any of the previous type designations. It would be weak to ground and rock, and resistant to fire, water, and electric.

Xanatos13

Pokemon Whisperer
    Years
  • To me Psychic is the Dark equivalent. ^_^ But I would like to get Light Pokemon, something that can take down Houndoom and Weavile easily.

typhlosionLV80

Son of Arceus
    Years
  • Although it would be a perfect time to add this "light" type, I just don't see it as being needed. I'm not a huge fan of the idea myself.

"needed" no, probably not. fun to have, yes, defiantly. the only thing i wouldnt get would be weaknesses, obviously Dark types, but what else? i take no side in the debate over weather it is needed or not, but i do in weather it would be fun or not. i say it would be fun.

Years
    • Seen May 17, 2016
    Yes, but in addition I'm just going to use the old "Psychic is already here in place of the light type" argument, because y'know, it's actually pretty true, if you really think about it. Psychic, Light screen, Psybeam, Reflect, all of these attacks have something to do with utilizing light in some form to either an offensive or a defensive advantage. Now consider if the light-type were to be added. What kind of attacks would the light-type that would make it stand out so much from the Psychic-type?

The Light type would have to involve some sort of...force behind it, wouldn't it? Wouldn't it be a psychic force or something of that sort? Isn't that what the Psychic-type is there for?

Why be an entire copy of Psychic if Psychic is already there?

I get what you mean, and I'm glad that this is an actual discussion rather than just two people berating each other for having different views.

It seems to me that the principal difference in our viewpoints is that you consider Light and Psychic to be (near enough) the same thing, whereas I do not. There's nothing wrong with either of our points of view, and I won't be disappointed if Gamefreak don't introduce the Light type, even if I would see it as an opportunity missed.

But with reference to the moves you mentioned, Psychic (for me) doesn't reference any actual light. It's more a mental attack, which doesn't really have anything to do with light; in fact, if I were to visualise the move Psychic being used, it would have no visible manifestation. It would take the shape of either a telekinetic attack, or it would be an invisible, "internal", mental attack.

Also, Light Screen and Reflect could potentially be re-typed, as Bite was in Generation II.

I think there are lots of potential Light-type moves, although I don't have the time to list them now (I may well do later!). Also, to the person who suggested the Glass-type: I think that's a great idea, and think it's definitely worth thinking about.

Waffle-San

Blue-Steel
    Years
  • I think there are lots of potential Light-type moves, although I don't have the time to list them now (I may well do later!). Also, to the person who suggested the Glass-type: I think that's a great idea, and think it's definitely worth thinking about.

Glass is created from Sand (generally Silica) which is covered by Ground. If you go further with it though and start looking at grass crystalization than rock now covers glass just fine. And finally steel can represent it's shinyness as well as the fact that the Steel type is generally there to represent man made and industrial objects. So, to me, I think it's clear that glass makes about as much sense as a wood type (>.<) unless I understood you guys wrong.

EJ

everything is purple
    Years
    • FL
    • Seen Mar 19, 2022
    Another issue though is the necessity of this. I'm worried about whether we could implement a new type due to variety of Pokemon and whatnot (especially something as narrow as Light-type), but there's also complexity. We're already at 17 types, and that's a lot. We might be able to add in another type, but there's no real reason to. In the least, I'm not arguing that Light would imbalance the game (although that is quite likely), but I am saying that this would add a whole lot of complexity that we don't need.

If it ain't broke, don't fix it. Most of this time we've been arguing whether it could be included or not, but we need to ask why it'd be included. There are no pressing needs to balance anything, nothing's dying for a re-type, and, at least in Light's case, there aren't enough ideas for Pokemon to justify a whole redesign of the element system.

Now see I agree with you because this is something I've argued throughout the entire thread. Any new type is simply unnecessary as there is nothing that warrants it.

But then again most people arguing that light types should exist don't realize the point I'm trying to make.

Years
    • Seen May 23, 2010
    i like the idea but i agree with the inbalance, sorry, but who would light be hurt by? dark vs light wouldnt work cos things already hurt dark yet only dark would hurt light. also, if there was a light type, it would screw up my artwork on eevee drawings. there are 7 existent (umbreon, espeon, etc) and 7 nonexistent i drew, so that would be an inbalance in my artwork ^_^

Years
    • Seen Oct 22, 2012
    And why would a LIGHT type be super-effective against steel? Do you realize that most steel types are not in the OU tier?

That's like saying the electric type should be super-effective against bug. That doesn't make any sense now does it?

Well, there are bug zappers...

Years
  • Glass is created from Sand (generally Silica) which is covered by Ground. If you go further with it though and start looking at grass crystalization than rock now covers glass just fine. And finally steel can represent it's shinyness as well as the fact that the Steel type is generally there to represent man made and industrial objects. So, to me, I think it's clear that glass makes about as much sense as a wood type (>.<) unless I understood you guys wrong.

Well, fire is created from sparks, which are caused by electricity--a type we already have. Water is simply melted ice, which we also have covered. So, by your logic, 2/3rds of the starters don't make sense.

Anyway, glass has some intriguing possibilities. I could see it having ridiculously high Special Defense in exchange for next to no Physical Defense. I could also see it being resistant to just as many types as Steel, really only being weak to Fighting, Rock, and Steel. Just my 1am musings.

I wonder if there would be a way to combine the ideas of Glass type and Crystal type......

Kanto_Johto

Never glimpse the truth
    Years
  • I was laughing my head of after hearing about Light, thinking "wow, these guys are complete idiots". Then I saw Sound.

Seriously guys?

Cyberglass

the stuff Porygon are made of
    Years
    • Seen Jun 1, 2022
    Anyway, glass has some intriguing possibilities. I could see it having ridiculously high Special Defense in exchange for next to no Physical Defense. I could also see it being resistant to just as many types as Steel, really only being weak to Fighting, Rock, and Steel. Just my 1am musings.

I wonder if there would be a way to combine the ideas of Glass type and Crystal type......

You forget about the Ground-type weakness, since glass shatters when you drop it. I really like the idea of the strong Special Defense; that would make Glass sort of the Special equivalent to Steel (although its weaknesses to Physical-oriented types would make it a bit, well, fragile).

EJ

everything is purple
    Years
    • FL
    • Seen Mar 19, 2022
    Well, there are bug zappers...

Well the point I was trying to convey in that case was how dumbfounding it is to relate two unrelated types in the games. I should have said bug and water since I forgot about bug zappers. Really good point though, I completely forgot about that.

Years
  • You forget about the Ground-type weakness, since glass shatters when you drop it. I really like the idea of the strong Special Defense; that would make Glass sort of the Special equivalent to Steel (although its weaknesses to Physical-oriented types would make it a bit, well, fragile).

Well, I see ground as more sand and mud, which don't shatter glass. Plus, as a counterpart to Steel, I think it would need to be resistant to ground. But it MUST be super-effective against flying type! I don't know HOW many birds have flown into my picture window JUST THIS YEAR. :D

Waffle-San

Blue-Steel
    Years
  • Well, fire is created from sparks, which are caused by electricity--a type we already have. Water is simply melted ice, which we also have covered. So, by your logic, 2/3rds of the starters don't make sense.

Wait, what? Fire can be created by electric sparks but that's certainly not the only way to start a fire. Plus there's a difference, electricity and fire are still two very sepperate thing, fire when created with the help of electricity is not created from that electricity but as a result of that electricity and another flammable material meeting. You need sand to create glass and you can directly trace glass back to having sand it in unlike fire and electricity.

I would put it the other way saying that ice is frozen water, which it is. You've got me there, I won't deny it, having an ice type and a water type make little sense and if we didn't have an ice type I'd certainly argue against it's inclusion. One thing Ice does have going for it though is that it can be used to represent "cold" since most ice types have little to do with water and tend to have cold bodies or live in a cold climate. But just because a type that makes little sense was created in generation I doesn't mean we should be making any (or multiple) ones now that Pokemon is in it's fifth generation and has sold 193 million worldwide copies. When you've got a world wide audience as big as Pokemon does adding a new type that makes little to no sense like Glass would certainly anger more people than the ones it pleases. I mean Mijumaru is judged for having a sea shell on it's chest I don't even want to imagine the firestorm if a glass type was added. I can't believe I'm saying this, but please stick to the light type idea. >.<

Status
    Not open for further replies.
    Back