• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

New Voice cast - Discussion

Years
    • Seen Apr 2, 2023
    This won't be for discussion of the special, just the voices. Keep things civil though.

So far I don't like any of these voices, it was a pain to see what Nintendo did to the cast.

Last edited:
    Years
    • Seen May 9, 2008
    Were we supposed to like them? I can live with Max's and the narrorators but ash and may sounded horrible. Max AND ASH SOUND EXACTLY THE SAME. I cannot live with these voices. Change them back. Ash's voice is horrible. I can believe we were supossed to like these. NO bring back Veronica Taylor, Eric Steurt(sorry bout the spelling) NEVER I cannot live with these voices. NO stop being so cheap PUSA and rehire the old Voice Actors. Your fans will thanks you. If you cant get them all back at least restore Ash, May, and Brock as they sound absolutly horrible. NO NEVER can I lie with these voices. I am disappointed. Bad pics, go back and get the old VAs.

Years
  • At least Ash sounds older but that's quite the same.

Misty's doesn't have the quiet shift to energetic and muted that Lillis' had.

Max is generic, so it's not so bad.

Considering I'll be seeing Brock and James in every episode I can't endure that. Too much.

Years
    • Seen Feb 17, 2017
    Yes. I don't like the new voices! I hope I can get use to them. But it sounds like Max and Ash have the same voice now! Max voices sounds real close and the end announcer sounds the same at lest. I guess 95% voices changed.

Watch the start of Pokemon and you can see how they changed the voices later. But not drasticly like they have now! I hope I get use to it. They voices they had before were very good. Mistys voice now does not sound like a kids voices. I could see if they all got older then there voices would change something like this.

I hope I can get use to it and like them.

-Raymond Day

Years
    • Seen Apr 2, 2023
    As I said before, Brock sounds like a chain smoker. The one voice I didn't like at all was Ash's though, it's just one of the worst I've heard in a long time. May's voice wasn't bad, it was a good VA, but it just didn't match the character's age. Eric said this was just to "test the waters" so it may not be the cast we get for the new season. So I assume if Nintendo gets enough letters and e-mails stating how much people don't like the new cast, they'll reconsider using new VAs and go back to the old cast.

Aegis

The Savage Nymph
    Years
  • I was under the impression that they were going to use sound-a-likes, but apparently I was wrong. 1- Ash sounds like he has a cold, or some sort of larangitus, 2- May sounds like shes 70, 3- Max sounds like he has a cold also, 4- Brock sounds sorta drunk I guess ( cant think how to word it), 5- Jessie and James sound like they don't care what they are doing anymore. Overall, out of 1-5 (1 being worst, 5 the best), I give it a 1

Years
    • Seen May 9, 2008
    Ash sounds like a little kid and Im sure I heard that voice on another 4kids production. No for all thats right in the world, if you change nobody else change May and Ash back. i can get used to the new Misty voice but not Ash's. I like the old one better. This is unforgivable PUSA.

Koriaku

...Like a Circus?
    Years
  • I just saw it. And it's pretty okay. Except I didn't find that Ash's and Max's voice sounded the same. I thought that May and Jessie sounded the same. But I think that they should change the VAs back. It really sucks when these things happen.

P.S. - Jessie, James, And Meowth sound normal to me

Tbone2356

Time keeps on tickin' by
    Years
  • Ok I Can Live With These Voices And I Like Them Too:
    Prof. Oak (We Never See Him Anyway, So Whats A Lil Voice Change Going To Do)
    Ash (I Can Live With His Voice I Mean I Always Liked Ericas Voice, I Think She Is The Voice Of Luphey Right? Because Its A Familiar Voice)
    Misty (She Sounds Exactly The Same But The VA Needs To Stop Making Her Deep Throat Sounding And Going Off Tone.)
    The Pokemon (They Are All The Same, Even Pikachu)
    Max (Sounds Exactly The Same)
    Jenny (Exactly The Same)
    Nurse Joy(Sounds Like The Same Voice But Just A Little Off Tone, She Always Goes Up Up Up, Down, Up Up Up. It Sounded Like She Was Holding Her Breath While Talking.)

I Hated:
    Jessie (She Sounded Like A Dementad Girl Her Voice Was Like I Cant Descirbe How Horible It Was)
    James (Was As Horibble As Jessy But Cant Describe It, Sort Of Like The Va Was Using The Throat To Make The Voice They Both Make)
    Mewoth (What The Hell! It Didnt Sound Like Him At All And It Sounded So Human Like.)
    May (What Did She Go Through 10 Years Of Age In 2 Episodes?! She Sounds Like A 28 Year Old Woman! Replace Her Now!.)
    Brock (He Had A Really Deep Voice And It Didnt Sound Like The Original Or Anything Good At All, I Cant Stand His.)

Tbone2356

Time keeps on tickin' by
    Years
  • Jirachi-master said:
    I cannot live with ash's voice. NO WAY. The voice actor is talented just not for Ash.

Well Even If You Cause An Out Cry Nothing Is GOing To Happen. Pusa Did This For A Reason. The New Line Up Coming Soon Does Not Include Pokemon, So They Decided Since They Know Any Other Network Could Pick It Up, They Would Want To Trash The Ratings Of The Show By Replacing All The VAs, So That When Another Channel Does Pick It Up It Wont Make That Much Money From It And Would Have To Cancel It. All Other Networks Would See This And See What A Waste Pokemon Is And The Show Would Die In America......Forever.

So To Prove Them Wrong Of This Everyone Has To Watch The Show On The Next Channel It Goes On. Wether You Like It Or Not.

Years
    • Seen Apr 2, 2023
    Tbone2356 said:
    Well Even If You Cause An Out Cry Nothing Is GOing To Happen. Pusa Did This For A Reason. The New Line Up Coming Soon Does Not Include Pokemon, So They Decided Since They Know Any Other Network Could Pick It Up, They Would Want To Trash The Ratings Of The Show By Replacing All The VAs, So That When Another Channel Does Pick It Up It Wont Make That Much Money From It And Would Have To Cancel It. All Other Networks Would See This And See What A Waste Pokemon Is And The Show Would Die In America......Forever.

So To Prove Them Wrong Of This Everyone Has To Watch The Show On The Next Channel It Goes On. Wether You Like It Or Not.
    ...no. Just...no.

PUSA did this as a TEST to see what the reactions to the dub would be. There's still a good chance we'll see the old cast back if people keep writing to Nintendo.

Tbone2356

Time keeps on tickin' by
    Years
  • Kazuhito said:
    ...no. Just...no.

PUSA did this as a TEST to see what the reactions to the dub would be. There's still a good chance we'll see the old cast back if people keep writing to Nintendo.

I Know They Could Change It But What I Dont Understand Is What Do They Care Anymore?
    They Practically Killed The Show Already. And There Killing It Off Soon, So I Dont See Pusa Going Through This Whole Process Of Changing And Rehiring And Doing All Work To Replace The VAs Just Knowing That They Are Taking It Off.

I Mean If They Were Gracefully Taking It Off The Air, Like With A Season Finale, Then I Could See Them Putting The Old VAs In The First Place. But The Way They've Been Acting Around Pokemon, It Seems That They Dont Want It On Anymore And If It Werent For The Viewers Would Take It Off The Network Right Now.

Years
  • This was..horrible. The voices didn't fit at all. I noticed that Proffessor Namba is now Oak, and Richie is now Ash (I'm not 100% on this, but they sure sounded like it). May, like others have said, just sounded like a woman when she's ten (and had very little emotion in her voice), and Misty was a whole lot more breathy than Rachel Lillis' voice (she could barely scream anything). Brock was just.... like a 40 year old (which is funny, since Eric Stuart is also at that age and can sound successfully like a 17-year-old). James, of course, was the biggest dissapointment- he was trying to be...suave or something and failed and just sounded dumb. Jessie couldn't "yodel" (that's how Rachel Lillis has described her Jessie voice) and just sounded fake. Meowth was horrible- an even dirtier New Yorker.

The writing was also different- the characters said things they would mever say. Ash- "Mew's the BEST, Pikachu!" and Misty- "Oh pah-LEEESE! What-EVER!" and Jessie- "Oh, Rattata!"

And now begins my enthusiastic letter campaign...

Arcanine

There is no "-tina"
    Years
  • Civil? I'll keep it civil by giving Nitnendo (or whoever owns the rights to the show) the pain they gave me by getting them STUPID VAs. XD

Ok, I was laughing by the way everyone sounded. Ash most of all. But I'll give a run down by what I think about the characters as well as the new VAs.

Acting: First of all I got to say that not only were the voices wrong, but the acting was soooo wrong by everyone. Like when Max was hit by Shadow Ball all May said was "No, Max", I mean COME ON that was so wrong in it self. I was sitting there going "WTF?" when I heard her say that, the "normal" May would have went "NOOOOO MAX!!! *Runs over to him*". And Ash saying stuff like "That was too close for comfort | Oh I forgot about Pikachu | Pika... Pikachu......" and other things. And that Brock rant about Jenny, good lord that was wrong on so many levels. We all know how Brock is, but THAT isn't how Brock is.

Max: I'll start off with him since he changed the least. The VA wasn't half bad, Max did sound a little more grown up and I think I could get used to him because he does more or less sound the same (like I said, a little grown up).

Misty: Well she wasn't all that far off but still it sounded wrong (to me the acting was worse then the voice). Some of the parts in the movie it was hard to tell the difference in the old and the new Misty.

Oak: Boy did he get old fast. I mean the first time I heard him it sounded like he was ready to drop over dead because he sounded so old. I heard time catches up with you but it happened all at once for Oak.

Jessie: I'm trying to think of what to say about her, and the only thing that comes to mind is she sounds strange (I can't think of anything else XD).

Meowth: He sounds sort of like the first Meowth (if you haven't watched the first few Pokemon eps then forget it XD). Just way less cocky then what he was in the first eps.

James: Ok so James sounded gay before. This new VA did a really well job of making him sound more gay then before. And I'm sure we'll all miss the James squeal.

Brock: He sounds like Butch, really it just all around sounds sort of like Butch. The acting and all that sounds the same as Butch.

May: I'll just give what I said on MSN. XD
    "Andy: says:
    But I do think May's voice is sexy (even if it doesn't sound right). XD"
    I do admit that May's voice does sound way older and sounds sexy (yes yes I said that XD). But I'll take the old May over the new one.

Ash: It's not Ash, it's Oliver (the kid with the pet Lugia). I said that on MSN and I'll say it again, that is Oliver. I have never laughed so much because of the voice of the character. That Ash is sooooooooooooooo wrong it's not only not funny it's WHACKED OUT! That dude sounds NOTHING like Ash, did they even try to find someone that sounded like Ash or did they go "Hey, lets pull something funny and get a real kick out of it. Lets get someone that sounds nothing like Ash and watch everyone get pissed.". That has to be what they were thinking when they got this new Ash VA. Because it's not even funny how Ash sounds, it's so wrong that that alone might even do the show in. Ash is the main character, and if he doesn't sound right what kind of show will there be? Well the big head hot shots that does the shows will go "Oh who cares about them. They'll watch the show even if we don't keep the old VAs". That might be true, but as a fan to the show (who watches it every Sat I might add) I am totally pissed at the new style (and that is both the VAs and the sorry acting).

Last edited:

Tbone2356

Time keeps on tickin' by
    Years
  • RocketCat said:
    This was..horrible. The voices didn't fit at all. I noticed that Proffessor Namba is now Oak, and Richie is now Ash (I'm not 100% on this, but they sure sounded like it). May, like others have said, just sounded like a woman when she's ten (and had very little emotion in her voice), and Misty was a whole lot more breathy than Rachel Lillis' voice (she could barely scream anything). Brock was just.... like a 40 year old (which is funny, since Eric Stuart is also at that age and can sound successfully like a 17-year-old). James, of course, was the biggest dissapointment- he was trying to be...suave or something and failed and just sounded dumb. Jessie couldn't "yodel" (that's how Rachel Lillis has described her Jessie voice) and just sounded fake. Meowth was horrible- an even dirtier New Yorker.

The writing was also different- the characters said things they would mever say. Ash- "Mew's the BEST, Pikachu!" and Misty- "Oh pah-LEEESE! What-EVER!" and Jessie- "Oh, Rattata!"

And now begins my enthusiastic letter campaign...

Yeah I Know, Why Would They Make Remarks Like That, It Was So Stupid. And I Was Dissapointed How Misty Was Full Of Herself Saying Shes A Water Gym Leader And How When She Fell Over The Edge Ash Was Just Like, "She Needs Help.....Pikachu!"
    I Mean You Could Say "Misty!" Then Misty COuld Say "Ash!"

And When May Grabbed Misty Why Did She Say "Im Not Useless After All"
    She Said It Like She Hated Misty For Liking Ash And Was GOing To Throw Her Off The Cliff Or Something.

EDIT-Also What The Above Post Said, May Shouldve Said "NOOOOO MAX" And Run Twoards Him And Hold Him.

Years
    • Seen May 9, 2008
    So they basicly replaced 4kids VAs with other 4kids VAs. Yeah, that really makes a heck of a lot of sense. If it aint broke(which thiswasnt) dont fix it. The new VAs SUCK.

Years
    • Seen Aug 30, 2021
    I only had to watch 10 seconds of the show to realize that I needed to start working on a letter to send to Nintendo as soon as possible. I just don't know where to begin, because all of the voices were horrible... My mom even paused and had to do a double take when she walked by the TV and heard Brock's voice! O_o She had the exact same reaction as me when I first heard it.

I'm really torn between Ash and Brock on who I think was the worst--Both of their voices were so different from the originals, and did NOT fit the characters at all. Ash sounded like a brat, and Brock... OH MY GOSH, IT WAS PAINFUL!

May sounded waaaay older than she's supposed to be, and Misty sounded waaaay younger than she's supposed to be. Max's voice didn't sound too different, but Professor Oak's was totally different. James sounded... well, I don't want to even say it, and Jessie sounded like she was just trying too hard to sound like she used to.

And ugh, Mew sounded more like a cat who was busy coughing up a hairball, rather than one that was very sweet and gentle... Nintedo's definitely going to hear from me.

Back