• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

Nicknames

Status
Not open for further replies.

GoGoShinyDunsparce

And Flounderp too!
Years
  • I find it great fun to nickname my pokes! Just see my Nuzlocke challenge x) I had a run once where I wanted a party of:
    Charizard
    Fearow
    Dugtrio
    Jolteon
    Seadra
    Dragonite

I named them:
    Apollo
    Olio
    Cello
    Leo
    Arrow
    Io

Those were my favourites :) Also, when I breed pokemon en masse, I end up nicknaming them for reference. I had a letter/number system going with my multiple Corphishes :> My Aerodactyls and Bulbasaurs (over 20 each, on FireRed) were all nicknamed properly, though. The best Aero I bred also had the best name - Sawfang : D
    So yes, I'm a fan of nicknames.

mal'akh

Hate this place. Gone for good
    Years
    • Seen Jun 21, 2011
    Sometimes I will. I like naming some of my epic Pokemon with the word "troll" somewhere int heir original name. Like, "Trollados" for Gyarados. xD
    Or "Electroll" for Electrode. c:

mal'akh

Hate this place. Gone for good
    Years
    • Seen Jun 21, 2011
    Sometimes I will. I like naming some of my epic Pokemon with the word "troll" somewhere int heir original name. Like, "Trollados" for Gyarados. xD
    Or "Electroll" for Electrode. c:

Years
  • I only nickname Pokemon if an idea comes up, which is pretty rare. A Swinub I caught was nicknamed "Truffle" because the description mentioned locating mushrooms. The rare truffle mushrooms are most commonly harvested by pigs who have a natural tendency to dig for them.

PlatinumDude

Nyeh?
    Years
  • I don't nickname my Pokemon at all, but when I do get B/W, I have the strong urge to give them nicknames, naming my Pokemon after BIONICLE and Yu-Gi-Oh! characters, such as:
    Jaroda = Kongu (Jaroda isn't as strong as the other starters, but it's pretty fast)
    Ononokusu = Kardas/AxeDrago (Axe Dragonute)
    Doryuuzu = Grand Mole

Years
    • Seen Nov 8, 2010
    I only give nicknames to the pokemon I cherish most in my game. Which as of now is just 3 xD
    I give them names that I adore or feel is suitable for them, just like how I name my pets or anything else.

Cold Fusion

When you laugh, you gain luck.
    Years
  • When I was a child I used to nickname all my Pokemon (or nearly all of them) as I thought it was cool to do so. But as I grew up, I found that I'd just use the same type of nickname for each Pokemon repeatedly which became boring, after that I just basically stopped almost completely. Not fully as I do nickname some just because I'm bored, but most of the time I tend to keep the name in its original state.

Aquacorde

⟡ dig down, dig down ⟡
    Years
  • I nickname all my Pokemon, and come up with names for them on the spot. For example... my Typhlosion is named Torchwood, my Ampharos is Felicia, and my Sandslash is Harlow. I just pull names out of thin air, and generally end up liking them.

EPIC Shedinja Hollow

Fallen Angel
    Years
  • I often nickname any Pokemon that I plan on using. For out-of-battle situations like breeding, I nicknamed all of my Ditto to whatever nature they are to make it easier for me to pin point them. For other Pokemon that I am more attached to, I usually give them some creative nicknames depending on what I have sparked in my mind. I nickname my Pokemon to show people that "sure, you may have the same Pokemon as me, but mine stands on its own as something more!" Some are MegaMan references, some are from other games, some I base strongly off of that Pokemon's power, and some are epic names that I happen to find on the internet. Here are some examples: Plusle and Minun- Respectively Gemini Spark B and R (of course, I had to shorten it to make it fit...), Magmortar- Apollo Flame (Again, had to shorten it), Giratina-Nahtaivel, Gyarados-Daedalus.

On a side note, I notced that I have a hard time coming up with names for "cute" Pokemon.... o.e lol? Clefable was a fairy... nothing came to mind, 'cept Navi from Ocarina of Time. XD

Quirky

The satellites are down..
    Years
  • If I name a Pokemon, it'll be something that randomly springs to the top of my head. If I can't think of anything, I just leave it.

Agent Clank

Bye PC
    Years
    • Seen Jan 11, 2011
    I never nickname my Pokemon unless I'm going to trade it for a rare Pokemon (I don't have Wi-Fi, I'm talking about local trading)
    But yeah, I don't like nicknaming my Pokemon.

Chikara

ʕ´•ᴥ•`ʔ
    Years
  • I always name my Pokemon ;3;.... it adds personality, I think.

But I wait until I know their nature and get to the name rater, so I can name them according to their nature. I'm OCD like that 9_9...

Sapeiro

Random Trainer
    Years
  • Unless I'm playing on an emulator, and randomly skip nicknaming; I always nickname my Pokémon. Be it something serious, jokes, or complete randomness.

My last playthrough of a game, had me as a female character named Zelda, and my pokeys were named after the other six sages (TLoZ: Ocarina of Time).

Also, I am not able to get over naming my hoot-hoots 'YaRly' or 'ORly'. It's stronger than me xD

Pokemonguy1990

Pokemon Shoto Saga Creator
    Years
  • Normally, I Nickname my starter, if it's fire, it's normally blaze, Turtwig and squrtile get shellshock (yes, like the Blastoise from the movie "shellshocker"). and I normally give Nick's to my Hall of Fame Team.

Years
    • Age 31
    • AU
    • Seen Feb 18, 2023
    Yeah I always name my pokemon horrendous, offensive and lullable nicknames. For example, JONFreeman the Arcanine, fagalicious the Quagsire, PuffyPotty the Ampharos.

fenyx4

HOENN CONFIRMED!
    Years
  • I've developed a trend of ALWAYS nicknaming my Pokemon (I even have a whole Microsoft Word document set up for just this purpose, but mainly for if ever my save file gets wiped and I forget nicknames), mostly due to the argument of "calling a Pokemon by its original species name is like calling all of your friends 'HUMAN' all the time when trying to get their attention." Thus, nicknames are applied just like humans have given first names and pets have given names, in order to differentiate between members of the same Pokemon species and provide an iota of personality to them. :)

The only Pokemon that I will never nickname are legendary Pokemon (Uxie is the exception. When I first saw its name I misread it as "UXLE", not "UXIE" (must have been the lowercase "L"/uppercase "I" confusion with certain fonts), and got disappointed when I learned it's true name. I was like "UXLE (I pronounce it "ooks-lay") sounds way better than Uxie!")
    The reason? The first time I caught a Latias :t380: in elementary school, me and some of my friends began brainstorming for a name. The best we came up with was "LT. STAR" (as in "Lieutenant Star"). So yeah... Don't ask. :cer_laugh: In short, because of that odd but funny incident, all legendaries bar "Uxie" so far will keep their original names, which is why I always hope they sound cool.

I name my Pokemon in uppercase. I tried the lowercase thing once, but it looked way too weird, especially in the summary screen when you see the lowercase nickname to the uppercase species name all the time. Plus, all of the proper nouns and names of people, places, and things were all in uppercase, so I just followed suit. Though I assume it'll look weird when seeing virtually everything in DPPt/HGSS in lowercase, with nicknames and species names being the only things that can be rendered in uppercase. I don't mind though; it's fun "yelling" your Pokemon's name! :D

---------------------------

I had originally started a trend where my starters would all have the "-er" suffix in their nicknames:

Charizard: Flamer
    Blastoise: Blaster
    Venusaur: Forrester
    Raichu: Volter/Charger
    Typhlosion:Flarer
    Feraligatr: Feraller
    Meganium: Leafer? (really had trouble)
    Blaziken: Blazer (first ever nickname I devised!!! :))
    Swampert: Swamper
    Sceptile: Razor (exception)
    Infernape: Breaker (reference to fighters typically breaking stuff)
    Empoleon: ?????????? (had trouble, but in retrospect I might've picked Emperor)
    Torterra:
    ?????????? (had trouble as well)

...But this later seemed tacky/too forced in my opinion, so I scrapped the "-er" theme and changed it up to just standard nouns, etc.:

Charizard: Wildfire (stemmed from Blast Burn animation)
    Blastoise: Blaster, Blast Boss, or BlastrBoss (undecided)
    Venusaur: Venom (stemmed from "Venu-" prefix which seems to actually come from Venus. But whatever! :rambo:)

Raichu: Lightning (for now)
    Typhlosion: Override
    Feraligatr: Thundrclap (from Totodile clapping so dang much {albeit in a cute manner} in the anime! :))

Meganium: Vitamin C (reconsidering as it has nothing to do with oranges really, but shiny variant is more 'convincing' in coloration)

Blaziken: [Trail]Blazr (originally going to be Blazer as he was my very first Pokemon. I lost 2 Sapphire cartridges and an Emerald save file. So, the "Trail" prefix represents that no matter the trials and tribulations, Blaziken and I will keep on chuggin' trailblazing through our Pokemon battles and adventures, persevering! :D :t257: The most meaningful name I've come up with so far, and the main reason I'd like a shiny Blaziken! :cer_boogie: (the colors IMO evoke a more powerful, experienced Blaziken)

Swampert: Swamper, Hammer, Slejhammer (undecided)
    Sceptile: Razor or RazorBlade (undecided; leaning more towards Razor. Any shiny version I manage to receive later on will get nicknamed Knifejaw)
    Infernape: Crossfire
    Empoleon: Hatchet or Larry {01} (leaning more toward Hatchet. Derived from Steel-typing, apparent resemblance of a hatchet weapon for some reason, and from the term hatch relating to birds. Larry (-01) is derived from the name of one of my high school dorm mascots, which coincidentally turned out to be a penguin! Larry (01 suffix being optional) might be what I spell out using PokeBall seals, though)

Torterra: Forrester (seemed more fitting considering the epic MASSIVE forest on its back; derived from Venusaur's original nickname)

Enbuoo: Razorback (cool alternate name for boars; but IMO it'll look awkward whenever sent out with my Sceptile :()

Daikenki: possibly Daikenki if English names turns out to be Samurotter or something different (Daikenki is fun to say IMO and has "dai" prefix meaning great/big. Also, kanji relates to fire, evoking a samurai otter that uses water with a sheer ferocity that is equal to that of a flame. :D)

Jaroda: Poison Ivy (poison stemming from snake attribute; ivy relating to plants)

---------------------------

Hmm...that's all I can say for nicknames from my personal experience. They're very fun to come up with, though. One of the most memorable/funniest/cutest nicknames I've come across was McShockers the Electabuzz :t125:, which I plan to use when nicknaming my Electivire. :cer_laugh: :laugh: I made a nickname for Magmortar to sort of match McShockers as well, but I can't recall it at the moment...

EDIT:
    Just remembered the nickname for Magmortar - Berserker the Magmortar :t126:! Mostly relates to the other one by the "-er" suffix... Sounded EPIC for Magmortar, IMO... (Ballistic(s) was one I was considering as well before I settled on Berserker...right now I don't know you to use it on...)

Last edited:

La Denryu

WITTY CAPTION
    Years
    • NZ
    • Seen Oct 18, 2010
    I always nickname my team. Something that the pokemon reminds me of.
    But mostly it's themed. For my Sinnoh starters, I named them after fast food
    Turtwig- Burger
    Chimchar- Chips or Fries
    Piplup- Cola or Nugget

I named most of my Heart Gold Pokemon after Greek Gods, or just random Greek names, because I took Classical Studies this year.
    Meganium-Lysander
    Pidgeot- Persephone
    Suicune- POSEIDON
    Lugia- Artemis
    Ho-Oh- Apollo
    Raikou- Zeus
    Latias-Andromeda
    Latios- Perseus
    Entei- Ares

I became fascinated with Pokemon Creepypasta, so I named my Blue pokemon after things to do with death, hell, dark things. Yes. Emo, much?

Blastoise- Kira (After Death Note)
    Butterfree- Shion (After the Japanese name of Lavender Town)
    Persian- Shetani (Swahili for demon)
    Flareon- Oni (Japanese for demon)
    Marowak- Sakura (Haha, it sounds contradicting, but apparently in Japanese culture, Cherry Blossoms are an omen for death)
    Aerodactyl- Charon (One of the beings of the underworld that guides souls down the river Styx)

Yep, I love nicknames.

fenyx4

HOENN CONFIRMED!
    Years
  • I always nickname my team. Something that the pokemon reminds me of.
    But mostly it's themed. For my Sinnoh starters, I named them after fast food
    Turtwig- Burger
    Chimchar- Chips or Fries
    Piplup- Cola or Nugget

Yep, I love nicknames.

"You are challenged by Pokemon Trainer!"
    "Go! BURGER!"
    *Poke Ball opens*
    "TORTERRA!!!"

I feel so sorry for those Starters, especially Turtwig. :cer_laugh: Hope it doesn't get eaten!

Status
    Not open for further replies.
    Back