• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

Nintedo 3DS and Wii U be turned off by April 2024

Palamon

Silence is Purple
Years
  • This is really sad. Oh, well. It is what it is. I know servers can't stay up forever. But now this means there's no free Nintendo online service which is...the worsts part, I guess.

Years
  • at least pokémon bank isn't going anywhere

I'm surprised it took them this long tbh. The DS/Wii servers went down basically right after they stopped getting games.
    big difference between the ds/wii servers and the 3ds/wiiu servers is that the latter were in-house at nintendo whereas the ds/wii servers were hosted by a third party known as gamespy. gamespy's shutdown was the big reason behind the ds/wii servers going offline.

Last edited:

Drayton

Chilled Dude of The Elite Four
    Years
    • He/They/Them
    • Seen Feb 21, 2024
    For a sec, I always thought DS/Wii was hosted by nintendo themselves, but was that before gamespy came in and took down

Years
  • Wow, so sad to hear. I never got to experience the online stuff with Wii and DS myself.

Me neither, I've done some stuff with Wiimmfi and while it's really cool; it'll never truly emulate the experience of hanging out online on the DS in like 2008; there are simply too few users. Not to mention certain things like Dream World still haven't been able to be revived.

Back