• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

Nintendo Revolution (Revived)

DeltaSuicune

Retired
Years
    • Seen Dec 31, 2008
    Not to seem to critical of the article.. but you people DO realize that this page is posted on Nintendo's own website, not a 3rd party reviewer's site right? Hence implying that all this is (partially at the least) media oriented hype, not a reviewer's honest surprise at the console's power via first impressions.

In retrospect parallel, Nintendo said something very similar when launching the N64 right after the Playstation came out, boasting how it could render Toy Story in realtime while running. Complete BS.

~DS

Arcanine

There is no "-tina"
    Years
  • Well at least Nintendo did say a little about the Revolution.

In its final form, Revolution will be about the thickness of three standard DVD cases and only slightly longer.
    Here we go again. The super small system and everyone thinks "Well it's so small it can't do anything". Maybe they still will be able to get a lot of good stuff into that little box.

The versatile Revolution will play either horizontally or vertically, allowing the user total flexibility in setting up a gaming session wherever they have a television.
    I like this. I don't have all that much room for another game system so I will be able to stand it up (I think both the Revolution and XBox 360 took a page out of the PS2 book and made their systems be able to stand up like the PS2).

Thanks to Nintendo's hardware development partners IBM and ATI, the small system will be packed with power that will enable it to wow players with its graphics.
    So they are working with ATI like the next XBox. I hope they will stick with their word and wow people when they see the graphics.

Nintendo's legions of loyal fans will be happy to learn that Revolution will be backward compatible, playing both Nintendo GameCube 8cm disks along with its own 12cm optical disks in the same self-loading media drive.
    I'm glad I can pack away my GC when I get the Revolution so I can save space.
    And I see they are going with a standard size CD as well.

In the next generation, the addition of the Internet will be important to all consoles and particularly important to Nintendo. Revolution will be wireless Internet ready out of the box.
    Now I'm happy I want wireless internet. And I'm glad that it's ready to go when I pull it out (no need to buy this or that to add on to it).

I hope they live up to what they said. I hope Nintendo makes a great system that will be as good or better as the PS3 and the XBox 360.

Years
    • Seen Mar 13, 2022
    I'd have to agree with everything Arcanine said =D

I think people are really underestimating Nintendo's bid in teh Next Generation. Nintendo, believe it or not, HAS been in the console business for a long time, and they have a good feel for the market. After the N64 and GCN, they've learned a lot!

DS- I'd guess it does have pretty good graphics. =P

devilicious

dream
    Years
  • They didnt say a word about the Controller... Fear...
    WHOAMOG HOLOGRAMS GRAPHICS AND VOICE-BASED CONTROLLERS! xD

Nice. Now, I want it, and I want to sell my GameCube... xD

Wireless Internet is nice too. Has anyone thought about a connection with NDS?

Dark Penguin

[Insert text here]
    Years
  • Plus, i read that for an example of its innovation, the controller will be pressure sensitive (ign.com), but it didn't say anything else. Sounds really, cool, though (a lot cooler than having a video game consul that can double-up as a computer).

devilicious

dream
    Years
  • cmatz0 said:
    Plus, i read that for an example of its innovation, the controller will be pressure sensitive (ign.com), but it didn't say anything else. Sounds really, cool, though (a lot cooler than having a video game consul that can double-up as a computer).

Pressure Sensitive?
    OMFGWTFBBQ I'LL SIT ON T3H CONTROLLER TO ATTACK!1!11!!111

Arcanine

There is no "-tina"
    Years
  • I hope it isn't pressure sensitive. I'll have to buy a new one with every game I get (I tend to take my controller and hit the bed with it). XD

Casty: I don't think there is a game out for the DS that is wireless (That you can play online).

devilicious

dream
    Years
  • Arcanine said:
    Casty: I don't think there is a game out for the DS that is wireless (That you can play online).

Yes there is... Well, not yet, but they're being developed~
    And DS's Internet is Wireless, ya just need to be in a HotSpot.

I was talking about Revolution-DS Conenction via Wireless, like GCN-GBA, but without cables~

Years
    • Seen Mar 13, 2022
    Andy has a bad temper xD

Animal Crossing To Go, Ultimate Brain Games, and Ultimate Card Games are the only announced online titles so far.

Arcanine

There is no "-tina"
    Years
  • //ShedRain said:
    Yes there is... Well, not yet, but they're being developed~
    And DS's Internet is Wireless, ya just need to be in a HotSpot.

I was talking about Revolution-DS Conenction via Wireless, like GCN-GBA, but without cables~
    A hotspot or have wireless internet at your hosue.

I was reading somewhere (might have been a post on PC) that the Revolution and the GameBoy Evolution will be able to connect wirelessly. But I'm not that sure about the Revolution and the DS.

Years
    • Seen Mar 13, 2022
    I heard that the Revolution won't connect with the DS. That was a LONG time ago, so there's probably not much truth to that.

Dark Penguin

[Insert text here]
    Years
  • I saw a pic on ign.com where it showed a diagram of nintendo's wireless connections, and it was a pic but showed something like this:

Nintendo DS -> Revolution -> The N (internet)

Of course it was more artsy but showed that the revolution will connect to the DS, and it looked offiical. Of couse i don't know if it is or not. Also, i read somewhere that the revolution will let you get online through your DS, and then play DS games on the Revolution (kind of like i-net, wireless gameboy player?)

Years
    • Seen Mar 13, 2022
    Ummm.....here:

Nintendo president Satoru Iwata has revealed the company's plans for the Nintendo DS's wireless capability, saying that the handheld system will connect to the Revolution console via Wi-Fi.
    In an interview with Japanese gaming website Game Watch, Iwata said the service will be free with over 1000 new Wi-Fi hot spots being set up in Japan. No additional peripherals will be needed to connect, and the service will require no user registration. Although some simple network setup will be required when connecting wireless at home, Wi-Fi connections at the public hot spots will require no such tinkering.

The service will be free, but Nintendo has not ruled out the possibility of third-party publishers offering fee-based services--potentially paving the way for handheld MMOs.

Cross-platform connectivity is nothing new for Nintendo; games such as Harvest Moon allowed GBA users to connect to the GameCube to explore different content.

An official launch date has not been revealed, but Nintendo will likely go into more depth at E3, held next week in Los Angeles.

Got this from https://www.gamepro.com/nintendo/gamecube/games/news/45166.shtml

Bay-kun

<That's me Oo
    Years
  • ^Well, it makes sense to me, seeing as how the DS is their current handheld console. Also, I heard somewhere that the Gameboy Evolution will be targeted toward younger audiences, and if the Revolution isn't, (Which I have no idea) connectivity between the two and not the DS wouldn't make much sense. =/

Also, I found this part a bit worrying. "the service will be free with over 1000 new Wi-Fi hot spots being set up in Japan." It doesn't mention anything about creating hotspots in the U.S, Europe, etc. at all. O.o

Years
    • Seen Mar 13, 2022
    US has hotspots in most libraries already, not to mention coffee shops, stores, parks, etc. No worries ^^

Rumour:
    Here's the real 4 processor rumour. I accidently switched the numbers on teh speed. Oops.

MoSys, a large computer memory company, were the makers behind the Gamecube?s 1T-SRAM memory. According to CEO Mark Voll, this will be repeated in the Revolution. "We are excited to be a participating member of the Nintendo team once again as Nintendo will roll out its successor game console to the Gamecube in mid-2006." This final comment is important as it gives a hint as to when Nintendo is currently looking to release the Revolution.

Along with this, some very beautiful rumored specs graced us. Four, that?s right, four 2.5GHz G5-class IBM PowerPC processors. Each processor has 128KB of L1 cache, and 512KB of L2 cache. ATI comes into the picture with a dual-core RN520 chip, containing 16MB of in-package frame buffer DRAM. For those of you who don?t understand tech-talk, that?s very, very, impressive.

Bay-kun

<That's me Oo
    Years
  • pokejungle said:
    US has hotspots in most libraries already, not to mention coffee shops, stores, parks, etc. No worries ^^

Good point. I wasn't thinking about that. XD

Also, since I don't understand tech talk, I'll talk your word for it that those specs are really impressive. ^^

Back