• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

Nintendo Switch Lite

Years
  • I think it's more about saving Nintendo money.

Removing HD Rumble, IR sensor, bluetooth, batteries etc. from the would be joycons saves a LOT of money on their part.
    Removing the docking feature also saves them money, no need to manufacture a whole new dock for the smaller system, no need for the video out circuitry.

Then they can sell the Lite at 200 and still make a decent profit, a much larger margin than the original switch.

Also with the tariffs closing in, I'm sure they want to reduce costs as much as possible for NA sales.

Last edited:

LilyGardy

The Flowering Pokemon
    Years
  • Yellow and Green? Seem strange choices for launch colours but the grey one is a little plain. I wouldn't of minded purple in truth. Doubtless they will have every colour eventually.

The Pokemon special edition does look very nice though. If I get the Switch in November I may get this one...if I can find it. Otherwise it's grey or yellow.

The Switch is a console I will only play a few games on so I may get the Lite.

Years
    • Age 29
    • Seen Mar 22, 2024
    I think the colors are adorable and I wish the original switch + dock came in these colors, but aside from that I agree with Aaron - I get it's for people who just want to experience Switch exclusives without all the bells and whistles but imo it's not big enough of a discount to justify taking away the "switch" part of the Switch.

Taemin

move.
    Years
    • he / they
    • USA
    • Seen Apr 2, 2024
    I have no super convenient way to play normal TV Switch, and in the end I'll play it a lot more if its handheld anyway, so I'm super hyped about these!

I also don't have to save up quite as much now, which is NICE.

Really tempted to go for that Pokemon edition, because I like those colors.

Years
  • While I like the idea of being able to dock my Switch, in reality 90% of the time I've used it handheld, and if I had the option of buying a Lite version a year ago, I probably would've done that instead (because tbh, the only reason I justified getting one in the first place was because I managed to save $100 off regular price, and knew I wouldn't get a deal that good again).

I'm not going to sell my Switch and pick up a Lite when they come out or anything, but if they come out with a special Animal Crossing edition one next March, I might be a little sour over it.

Years
  • I actually do really like the colors (especially yellow fhdjsks) and am pretty torn on what I would want to buy now. I don't really have a TV and would probably just play a few Switch games such as AC, Zelda.. and the price is really cheap ;v;; 100$ is still a huge chunk for me esp when I want to buy a Switch asap.

But it would have been so good if it was dockable fjdiammflf

Circuit

[cd=font-weight: bold; font-style: italic; backgro
    Years
  • This really seems like Nintendo making the most amount of money possible, in the most justifiable way. The Switch is already a portable console, with a bunch of power and extra gadgets behind the screen, and the price is definitely a good value considering the value of the parts inside of it (I mean heck, nvidia graphics processing? That's about as expensive and high-quality as it gets). This Lite version removes not only the gadgets they mentioned in the video, but due to its size decrease, the hardware inside the case is going to have to be adjusted as well. Power reduction, processing will become a bit slower, and in such a small body, this thing will heat up fast. The Switch already has a bit of an issue with getting hot, but the Lite will have that twofold, unless they tone down the power some. So you're losing a fair bit more than just 100$ worth of size and gadgets.

I get the move, it's appealing to a market the Switch might have put off due to not using the docked mode or the pricing being too high. However, I can't help but feel that this handheld-only Switch is a bit on the overpriced side of things. 200$ is a lot of money for a handheld, especially a handheld not only missing many core features of the flagship, but also being a step down, which realistically is what it will be power-wise.

On to the positives I see, the colours are unique for a new release and I love it. I have nothing to say about the Pokemon editions cause I haven't even looked at them yet tbh. It will provide accessibility to a market that is seeking a way into this branch of gaming, and honestly Nintendo is a great introduction to gaming in general and I'd never oppose it. And whilst I do feel its overpriced, it is still a cheaper alternative to the Switch for those with financial difficulties, so definitely relieves some pressure there too.

All in all it's not the worst thing ever, but I definitely feel like this is an underwhelming piece of equipment for the price, and I'd have loved for it to remain dockable at the very least. I wasn't considering it anyway, since I'm super happy with the flagship I finally bought at Christmas, but I don't think I'd have been all-too enthusiastic about the Lite if I didn't have it yet. I'd prefer to save for the flagship with full accessibility to all titles and functionality, even if some parts are more quirky than others. Not to mention the power boost the flagship is sure to boast over its Lite addition.

Cid

Years
  • I love the Swosh skin. It made me consider buying this instead of the LGPE one, but the upgraded battery Switch takes the cake for me.

I hope this sells well, though! Nintendo did good by releasing this, despite it being a Switch that's literally unswitchable anymore.

Back