• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

[Sword & Shield] Nintendo's first pokemon game that.....

Veil Loreraven

Ghost Master
Years
  • Isn't for their main handheld system. They keep mentioning that the 3ds is not gone and they still plan on keeping it around, and since the switch is capable of and marketed as a console for your t.v, this, and I cannot believe I just now realized it but, This is going to be the very first Pokemon game introducing us "fully" to a new gen of pokemon and Not be exclusively for their main flagship handheld system.

Everywhere I looked there is no signs of it being ported to the 3ds at all, it's just, a switch title. I have long said the Switch is nothing more than a port system and it is, Every time I see the system, all I see is a system filled with, not quality third party exclusives or a populous amount of ultra high quality first party titles, but instead it is filled with ports from the best games from the wii u instead of sequels to them, ports from older games and ports from games I already played on my 360 and steam account. Now I have a reason to buy that stupid system. Pokemon main game for a console...never thought I would see the day. Now all we need is a pokemon stadium 3 for the switch, with all the amazing powers of clefairy and magikarp flopping mini games and that bad ass announcer!

Nah

Years
    • Age 31
    • she/her, they/them
    • Seen today
    Nintendo is probably not going to bother with the 3DS for much longer really, there's no reason to anymore. It's aging technology and the Switch is essentially its flagship handheld now. But because of what the Switch is, it is also like you say, our first (depending on what one considers LGPE to be) main series Pokemon title on a console and not a handheld. Which is nice.

Last edited:
    Years
  • The entire concept of the Switch is that it merges the handheld and console lines of gaming systems. The distinction between the two just doesn't exist anymore now that the Switch exists. The Switch is both the successor to the Wii U and to the 3DS. And I think that's a good thing.

Last edited:

BrandoSheriff

Has a tendency to figure things out
    Years
  • The Switch is a handheld/stationary console hybrid, so it makes sense the next games would be on the Switch. I don't see a reason they would be ported to the 3DS tbh. If anything, the 3DS was holding their potential back, and the extra power provided by the Switch will allow them to shine ever brighter (especially in battles; hello, stable framerate!). And with the Switch becoming, in a way, Nintendo's main handheld, there's really not much reason to keep supporting the 3DS for long.

Also, you can't really blame them for porting most Wii U games to Switch. It sold poorly due to bad marketing, and now the numerous people who bought a Switch can now experience those games from the console they never bought, lol.

Pinkie-Dawn

Vampire Waifu
    Years
  • Nintendo is probably not going to bother with the 3DS for much longer really, there's no reason to anymore. It's aging technology and the Switch is essentially its flagship handheld now.

At least until Nintendo announces their next new handheld to replace the 3DS because as of now, the Switch lacks the advantages true handhelds have. But right now, it's lasting as long as the original Gameboy.

Years
  • I think the use of handheld console is already on the decline, the smartphone is becoming a heavy replacement for handheld due to advanced technology, so i am thinking Pokemon developer Game Freak should focus on developing games for Smartphones and even release their own smartphone as well.

(sorry for my poor English)

Last edited:
    Years
  • I think the use of handheld console is already on the decline, the smartphone is becoming a heavy replacement for handheld due to advanced technology, so i am thinking Pokemon developer Game Freak should focus on developing games for Smartphones and even release their own smartphone as well.

(sorry for my poor English)

agree on Game Freak taking a shot at the smartphone market, but don't really agree with them releasing their own smartphone. the smartphone market is incredibly oversaturated and it's already super hard for once well-known smartphone companies to stand out, so Game Freak has no chance of any phone of theirs being well-known beyond Japan (they're also a tiny dev studio not a hardware company so it's difficult for them to get started in that area in the first place).

also I may be wrong but I highly doubt Nintendo is looking at a 3DS successor after the Switch's sales so far. it seems kind of contradictory to make another handheld that's going to end up cannibalizing the sales of the Switch so far. maybe when the Switch is at it's end of life cycle, but I'm skeptical it'll be a thing even then.

all in all though really looking forward to what Game Freak can do with these titles since they aren't really restricted so much hardware-wise like they were with the 3DS systems, which should allow then much more breathing room to experiment.

Last edited:
    Back