• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

6th Gen No Love For XY

lamePotato

DeviantArt - SimplyPixelizing
    Years
    • Seen Apr 9, 2016
    After almost wrapping up replaying through XY, I'm seriously beginning to wonder why this game gets so much hate? The music, graphics, and storyline, especially AZ, are superb. The rivals, for me, are highly like able, and a cute set of friends. I find myself saddened once leaving 3/4 of them on the bridge to Snowbelle, as I feel they really are a fun set of characters. Although they don't undergo much change, they do each have personalities, even if not all of them are all too interesting (Tierno, looking at YOU). I also really like the designs of the gen 6 Pokemon, the trainer designs are great, and the region is stunning.

I digress. Here's my real question; why don't people love and praise this game much more?

Sean

Years
    It's probably my most replayed pokemon game at the moment, considering ORAS has no replay factor at all due to same pokes over and over. XY is defo underrated

Other games are just superior I guess. People also seem to hate gen 6

lamePotato

DeviantArt - SimplyPixelizing
    Years
    • Seen Apr 9, 2016
    I do prefer Gen 5 for storyline, and Gen 4 because of unfortunate nostalgia, but I definitely feel it beats out many individual games, even though it's generation (since it's officially complete) doesn't beat out the two specified previously.

machomuu

Stuck in Hot Girl Summer
    Years
    I loved XY when it came out. Haven't had as much fun with a Pokemon game since GS. I was hooked to my 3DS from start to finish, was a huge fan.

Now, after many attempted nuzlockes, I still like it a good deal. The story's pretty subpar and the music went the atmospheric route so there aren't any particularly standout picks (save for the Power Plant/Pokeball Factory theme, that's a song that sticks in the head), but the changes it brought were pretty solid and mobility felt good in general. It was marred by having a- well, basically no postgame and, really, in terms of things to do it relied more on the minigames than looking to its older brothers in Gen 5 for how to keep the player occupied during and after the game.

Also, the capture rates. I shouldn't be able to catch Mewtwo with a Pokeball on the first turn repeatedly. That's just not funny.

But yeah, of the main games, XY specifically're my second favorite games. And even with the various improvements brought by ORAS, plus the overall better OST, better animations, and debatably better region, that whole "7.8 Too Much Water" joke resonates with me all too well. The general dependence on HMs (and Surf/Dive specifically) in that game have me picking XY as my ideal Gen VI pick any day. Granted, it has a lot of flaws and cut corners, but there's hope for Gen VII to not fall into the same pitfalls.

Years
    Surely OR/AS is more criticised? People don't generally consider both mostly disliked, after being played, because then the whole gen would have been put down. In any case, though, perhaps the adoption of friendly rivals, and many of them, and persistently, was grating, as people still associate such a role with Gary and Blue, because they do not like such friendly 'rival' types, or feel they express what people found cool about Pokemon and the games. While the story is probably a modified R/S/E spin-off, and people didn't mind the reliance on an 'evil team' for story-line in R/S/E because Team Magma and Team Aqua weren't portrayed as particularly bad compared to Team Rocket, and generally quite neutrally, since then it's been effectively admitted that story-line equals to there being an 'evil team,' which the games apparently like because they make them exciting, such that other than more arbitrary ways of making them look worse to some assumed players, they've probably begun to obscure that element of things more clearly. There hasn't been a 'story-line' as such separable from this since around G/S/C, where that was still border-line. If they include such as the source of plot and excitement, which was their aim, then they probably like it. Anyway, the Pokémon themselves (and listing elements of Pokémon games is just a technical specification) are also relatively obscure, as you might expect from people still after over a decade being unclear that there was such a thing as a Taillow which evolved into a Swellow, alongside Zigzagoon and Poochyena/Mightyena, and they have not made that many Pokemon as identified with the series as in R/B, which gave Pikachu, Mewtwo and Charizard, while more recent creations have generally not endured. Mostly, they don't actually seem that interesting in isolation, and mostly might come off as making Pokemon for their own sake, as they in fact are. They don't necessarily have the same sense of meaning as some of the earlier Pokémon, and are frequently just repetitions of Dialga and Palkia.

We could probably say that the legendary Pokémon since were mostly frozen at Diamond and Pearl, and the plot-lines since at R/S/E. Once you have such a plot-line, they can change gimmicks for things while relying on this for sustenance. However, it means they're unlikely to stand out. If people wanted 'stunning' regions, they might instead play 'Shadow of the Colossus,' while in X/Y regions are more likely to be placeholders or collections of locations expected, where people add the interesting things, than actual regions, in which sense R/S/E's placement with abandoned ships, shoal cave, and their water town near Rayquaza, is probably far better, in part because X/Y is still mostly restrained to an 'Animal Crossing' style progression due to graphics, etc. In this sense, outside of the graphics, which are only better in an abstract sense mostly, without this necessarily meaning much, the other aspects don't necessarily stand out from the crowd, which might bring some animosity.

Arylett Charnoa

No one in particular.
    Years
    • Age 32
    • Seen Jan 5, 2023
    For myself personally, it's just that I really really enjoyed the fifth gen. The story and characters made me feel something, unlike every other Pokemon game preceeding it. An immensely pleasant surprise. And I was riding high around that time. HeartGold and Black and White were games I truly enjoyed.

When I played Y, the feeling dissipated. The story was lackluster, and now that I had expectations for a decent story, I was immensely disappointed. Then there were the 3d models, which just looked so pale and had obnoxious outlines. They made the games seem more boring and dreary when compared to the striking colors and animations of the sprites in B/W. I even played them a second time to see if my feelings had changed, but they only got worse. There was a lot of potential there, but it just felt really rushed and poorly executed.

Lastly, the difficulty was what truly clenched it for me. I tried the first time with the experience share, which completely killed any sense of tension or interest in the games for me. Then I tried the second time, and I had to impose a lot of arbitrary limitations to try to prevent the games from getting too easy. This wasn't fun, because it was kind of stressful trying to preserve the difficulty to a right level for myself. Sometimes, it got too hard and I had to grind. I'd only grind up about 5 levels, and then it'd become painfully easy again. That's what happened by the end of the game. Once I beat Diantha, I just felt nothing. No satisfaction. This felt like a pale and hollow version of the Pokemon experience that I enjoyed.

Starry Windy

Everything will be Daijoubu.
    Years
    Personally I started to enjoy more when playing X and Y nowadays. Sometimes I'm wondering if it was overshadowed by ORAS in terms of new Mega Evolutions, or for it having more post-game content than in XY.

Even though, yes, initially I was not quite satisfied with Pokémon X in terms of post-game and all, when I'm decided to starting fresh with Pokémon Y (yes, I'm not restarting my X playthrough), I find myself enjoying it much more for some reason, not to mention that there are many good rivals like Tierno, Trova, Shauna and also Calem/Serena. Both of them are likable characters that I'm having good time with them, and this is one of the reason I'm starting to like Pokémon game again after being bored for a few months back then.

Given that X and Y are the first main Pokémon games to have their debut in 3DS, I think they are still quite good even though they're not as complete as ORAS is, and I think X and Y needs more love.

Nah

Years
    • Age 31
    • she/her, they/them
    • Seen today
    They're not bad games, it's just that for me I'm tired of Game Freak giving less than their best for each entry in the series. We know that they can make a better story, we know that they can do a good post-game, we know that there's all these little features that can make the games slightly more enjoyable, yet they routinely refuse to consistently have those things in the games. I know they can do better than this, and it's a bit frustrating to see them not try. It's not like they don't have the money or time to do so either. I've been playing this series since Gen 1, I am no longer interested in seeing them just put out what's par for the course.

In general I would imagine that X/Y's not a terribly loved pair of games because they're relatively new and don't have the nostalgia factor ORAS does. Every generation gets its share of hate, but you generally hear about it less for previous generations since they're old news.

Years
    I agree with Nah. Game Freak has potential to make a great game with great story, features, postgame content and fleshed-out characters. They just seem to often make excuses for not including most of these features in the games for some weird reason.

That is part of why X/Y is unloved. Team Flare is regarded as the worst villain team, Diantha is said to be the most underdeveloped champion, the rivals had some personality but people found them way too much like friends and not rivals, Fairy-type copped some hatred when it was first revealed, the Gym Leaders (sans Korrina) did nothing than just hand you a badge, and the only true postgame were Looker missions and Battle Maison.

OR/AS, being a remake of a popular region (Hoenn) just had more nostalgic appeal, especially with the attention to detail in most parts, along with the story being more expanded and adding new features. The Delta Episode was also something new as far as postgame content went. Not exactly HG/SS or B2/W2 level, but still a decent postgame nonetheless.

Years
    • Age 31
    • USA
    • Seen Mar 30, 2024
    There are definitely individual games that can't hold a candle to XY because they are also lacking in content and a decent set of characters in a decent story. So when compared to those games, XY is pretty good because it has at the very least well-built lore and solid mechanics. But generally, we compare to the best the series has to offer, not the worst, so in that case XY just doesn't hold up.

As people have already said, it's that major lack of in-game content coupled with the non-existent characters that bog down the games. And the worst part is, the characters actually have potential, but they're not taken the full nine yards, and are instead left as mindless dialog machines with no impact. And considering the previous generation had elevated the series's storytelling to new heights, it was more than a letdown to see XY revert to what it had.

It's a game full of potential. Potential that is left untouched. I wish it hadn't come to this, but since that potential is still left alone, I can't think of it as better than the series's best.

And honestly, if they had given it better-written characters, that would have actually made the story good enough that I might have excused the lack of content. But it didn't give us either.

Years
    • Seen Oct 22, 2023
    I believe majority of fans found their storyline to be underwhelming. If it weren't for that, X and Y likely would have been ranking much higher.

Back