• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Please note that this section is for questions regarding the forum itself - it is not for fan game-related questions. If you have a question about a fan game, ask in the appropriate thread.

• Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

Question: No name change, so alts?

Years
    I certainly wouldn't be opposed to it. I think if that were to happen, it should be limited and restricted the way username changes were. They can only be changed X times a year, every X months. Join date requirements, etc...

I don't think it would be too difficult, actually. Maybe just a change to the usergroup username HTML markups, maybe a template added, and a new profile field that only can be accessed by administrators. I can't see how that would really eat up the database, either. Maybe to avoid confusion, usernames can be displayed in the postbit as well as the display name.

But for some reason, I don't see this happening.
    Forgive me if I don't understand what you're suggesting, but doesn't that mean an extra query every time someone loads a page? They have to call on the variable each time, which is going to be more demanding that just relaying saved text...

Years
    • Seen May 9, 2024
    Can't you just add a replacement variable for all the username hooks?

altariaking

Needs NO VMs...
    Years
    I miss username changes...I hate my username, missed the final changes, and don't want to use my Alt because it doesn't have all my posts, threads, emblems, friends list, and much more. Maybe the admins could re-enable it for a Christmas present? :D

Last edited:

Purple Materia

Shape the future!
    Years
    • Age 29
    • Seen Apr 12, 2014
    I hate my username, missed the final changes, and don't want to use my Alt because it doesn't have all my posts, threads, emblems, friends list, and many more.
    Sums up my current thoughts.

The staff probably won't enable it for a Christmas present if it could crash the servers.

Fushigidane-Chan

Years
    Idea: isn't it possible to transfer posts, threads, friends list, infractions etc. from one account to the other? SPPf also doesn't allow name changes (and for the same reasons), but they do this as an alternative, so users can create a new account, but retain everything from their old ones.

Purple Materia

Shape the future!
    Years
    • Age 29
    • Seen Apr 12, 2014
    Idea: isn't it possible to transfer posts, threads, friends list, infractions etc. from one account to the other? SPPf also doesn't allow name changes (and for the same reasons), but they do this as an alternative, so users can create a new account, but retain everything from their old ones.
    Hmmm. Wouldn't transferring all of that stuff be heavier on the server than just changing the name?

Zet

Years
    Even if the staff were to enable it as a Christmas present, it would mean that people would have to make a post saying what they what their new username to be, and when the changes happen, the forums would have to be inaccessible just to do the changes without any problems.

Poster

Will pixel art for pizza
    Years
    I miss username changes...I hate my username, missed the final changes, and don't want to use my Alt because it doesn't have all my posts, threads, emblems, friends list, and much more.
    I started to get bored of my username, too, along with other things, and made an alt, too. This ^
    You can request your Emblems to be transferred over from a staff member, which is what I'm planning to do. Friends list, you can make again. Posts is something you wouldn't worry about, unless you're going for the blog perk available at 5000 posts. Since you're the same person and you let people know that (and not that you're someone new), it's basically to be expected from others to consider you as they must. Like they did with your previous account.
    That might be too much strain for no big reason, again unless if you're aiming for 5000 posts. Then again, emblems can be transferred. Infractions, I don't know, and if they can't be transferred, then isn't making alts a sort of evasive tactic? ;P

Anyway, it seems though like there's not much reason to lurk on this thread any longer. Moving on...

560cool.

An old timer?
    Years
    I completely despise my username, but I almost got 2,000 posts, enough VMs, and I really want the Veteran emblem for the next years. I would do anything for a name change, but I was really stupid when the permanent change came. ):

Years
    Infractions, I don't know, and if they can't be transferred, then isn't making alts a sort of evasive tactic? ;P
    I thought I'd let you guys know that infractions though may not be appearing on your new profile, but they still count towards you. The staff can always check your IP so you can't evade that. ;P

I really want the Veteran emblem for the next years.

You can get your Veteran emblem if you can prove that the old ID is yours.

Last edited:

Zeffy

g'day
    Years
    • Seen May 21, 2024
    If you despise your username, why did you use it to register? I mean, come on! >.<

Last edited:

Aquacorde

⟡ dig down, dig down ⟡
    Years
    If you all despise your username, why did you all use it to register? I mean, come on! >.<
    Because for most of us, it was chosen while we were n00bs. I'm pretty much stuck with this egotistical name that I chose when I was an anti-social ten-year-old just starting out on the internet. But like others said, I don't want to give up my join date, post count, or anything of the sort. Just the name.

Zeffy

g'day
    Years
    • Seen May 21, 2024

Because for most of us, it was chosen while we were n00bs. I'm pretty much stuck with this egotistical name that I chose when I was an anti-social ten-year-old just starting out on the internet. But like others said, I don't want to give up my join date, post count, or anything of the sort. Just the name.
    Well, I despised my username at first too. Then, time just passed by and I'm used to it. If you don't really want to lose your account, then don't. Your name doesn't tell you who you are, it's what you do that makes you who you are.

560cool.

An old timer?
    Years
    If you despise your username, why did you use it to register? I mean, come on! >.<

Basically sums up what I was about to write. My change from noobness happened this summer, not in February. And I don't really want to give up my join date...
    even though it's not that long ago compared to tso's, it's better than December 2010

King Gumball

Haven't been here for ages...
    Years

Same with what the others said. We were still in our noob phase. And for me it was more of signing up with a name I use somewhere else, which I have now lost interest in, as well as the fact as I didn't put much thought into it as I didn't know if I was going to be hooked to this site, or just forget about it after a week. I ended up being hooked. My user name now makes me sound kind of noobish and immature. I would have liked to change it to something 'smarter' sounding (like TheSmartOne lol) .

Zeffy

g'day
    Years
    • Seen May 21, 2024
    Basically sums up what I was about to write. My change from noobness happened this summer, not in February. And I don't really want to give up my join date...
    even though it's not that long ago compared to tso's, it's better than December 2010

Same with what the others said. We were still in our noob phase. And for me it was more of signing up with a name I use somewhere else, which I have now lost interest in, as well as the fact as I didn't put much thought into it as I didn't know if I was going to be hooked to this site, or just forget about it after a week. I ended up being hooked. My user name now makes me sound kind of noobish and immature. I would have liked to change it to something 'smarter' sounding (like TheSmartOne lol) .

Your names doesn't sound noobish at all. Its all in your little head.

altariaking

Needs NO VMs...
    Years

Your names doesn't sound noobish at all. Its all in your little head.

That's your opinion, however, neither are your name, so you're obviously going to have a different opinion towards it. And tbh, that sounded a little harsh, as well as your other post.
    I don't like my username because I was one of the n00biest of the n00bs when I joined, I had absolutely no knowledge of anything to do with the internet at all, the day I first got my Laptop was the day I joined (Christmas last year), and my username is not capitalised, and contains the name of a Pokemon that tbh, I don't really like too much anymore. I just named myself after my best Pokemon at that time (I thought level 100 made you unbeatable -_-), and added "king" to make it sound "cool", although that completely backfired on me. I would - if all of my posts, threads, emblems and everything else were moved over - use my alt, "Flygon_", even though I hate the underscore, or if username changes were brought back I would change my username to "DarkShadowFlygon", or some other variable of Flygon.

Years
    • Seen May 9, 2024
    Really, Zeffy? Really?

It's their username. Something that's used to identify with for other online users. Sure, it doesn't make who you are, but it's a name - and names are important whether you'd like to admit it or not. A name's really the only thing you can identified someone to when it comes to being online.

If someone doesn't like their username and thinks that it's noobish, who are you to say it isn't? Your definition may not be the same as theirs, and I really don't see why you're arguing against bringing username changes back in one way or another. A lot of members didn't really think their usernames through, grew up out of their usernames, or when they joined after the username changes were stopped. I'm sure some of the administrators would like to bring usernames back for the same reasons, but server strains are more of a concern.

Besides, being a former noob and growing out of it, then being stuck with a username that's so relatable to the nooby state, isn't a good thing on internet forums.

Star-Lord

withdrawl .
    Years
    I think it would be more constructive to get used to the names that aren't going to be changed, rather than complaining about it.

Sorry, it's just the truth. Yet again, I've stuck with this name everywhere I go and always love it so ^_^

King Gumball

Haven't been here for ages...
    Years

You're welcome to ask (since all staff members can give emblems) but don't expect it just because you decide to switch accounts. Mods do have other stuff to be doing than re-handing out emblems. :P

As for name changes, when we first decided to get rid of the system we talked about alternatives, ways to keep it around without straining the server, but we couldn't come up with anything.

I think one of the biggest problems is that people on PC changed their names the way they changed their avatars or signatures, it like a fashion thing. Usernames should be your identity. That said, I get that some people regret the names they've chosen and want the option to fix it, and for cases like that I'm fine with looking at alternatives to name changes. But for the people who literally counted the days until they were able to change again and changed on a whim... I don't want the hassle of it. :/ It can be confusing, it takes a lot of time for admins (those threads got riiiiiidiculous), and overall just messy blah blah blah.

So yeah, I'll brainstorm.

Yeah, A lot of users would change their name each time the day restriction limit is up. So if name changes do come back there should be some serious restrictions for the privilege.

So is Patchisou Yutohru's suggestion out of the question? I think it could work if we find out for GTS+ does it, as they are a very busy site, with hardly any name change restrictions (so names are being changed all the time) and it doesn't make the site seriously laggy (the adoptable section causes all the lag) . I mean it is worth a try isn't it?

Back