• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

6th Gen No Safari Zone?

Years
    They did have the Friend Safari, which is alright but dependent on other Friend Codes. They didn't have a Safari Zone in Gen V (which would've been nice), but given the game has so many Pokémon you can get even before the post-game i'm not too bothered by it.

Years
    • Seen Oct 22, 2023
    It is kind of strange to not see any Safari Zone make it into X and Y, but I personally wasn't too upset about it; it's a nice feature, and gives you a different way to capture a more wide range of Pokémon, but it's actually kind of nice to see them skip it this time around. Though, they did kind of add an alternative known as Friend Safari, which, in my opinion, completely up makes up for it. Those that don't have wi-fi at home might not be able to access it frequently, but people that do (which, at this point in time, could be majority) have no problem as far as that goes. I haven't been exploring this place too much as of late, but I definitely should.

Years
    • Seen Jul 25, 2014
    I'm actually quite glad they left out the classic Safari Zone. It was way too hard to actually catch anything (unless I was doing something wrong) and every turn there was a chance of the pokémon running away. The Friend Safari was better because you can catch pokémon like you normally can, every pokémon has at least 2 (or was 3?) perfect IVs and there's a chance of pokémon having hidden abilities. The only downside is the need for friend codes.

PlatinumDude

Nyeh?
    Years
    The Friend Safari is the closest thing to a Safari Zone we have in X/Y. As a bonus, we get to battle the Pokemon we find in there instead of chucking Safari Balls, bait, mud or rocks at the Pokemon and hope that we catch it; also, the Pokemon don't flee randomly. It would've been a pain to get things like the starters otherwise.

Years
    As has been stated, there is the Friend Safari, which not only allows us to battle the Pokemon and catch them with our own Poke Balls, but also lets us find Pokemon with their HAs and has increased shiny encounter rates. Given, if you don't have access to Wi-Fi/many irl friends then it's not the best, and I personally don't like how I can't access my own FS. However, the variety of Pokemon is great (can't remember if it's better than HGSS's Safari Zone), and the fact that said Pokemon can have their HAs and have an increased chance of being shiny is good enough for me.

Nah

Years
    • Age 31
    • she/her, they/them
    • Seen today
    I feel that the Friend Safari is better than the old Safari Zone because you can catch Pokemon in the traditional manner (instead of that BS with the fleeing and rocks and bait), and they can have their hidden abilities. It's not perfect, since it's a little too dependent on friend codes and could use a little more variety in the species of Pokemon that appear, but its better than what we used to get, imo.

Years
    I'm gonna be honest, as helpful and fun as Friend Safaris can be, I really miss the traditional Safari Zone. I'm a bit of an oldie, and all of the previous games gradually improved upon the area, like Sinnoh introducing a marsh-like safari to spice things up, and so on. I thought X and Y would renovate the feature, which they did, but not in the way I had hoped. However, I'm definitely not complaining about Friend Safari - I use it all the time! n__n

Cyclone

Eye of the Storm
    Years
    • Seen Oct 3, 2016
    I prefer the Friend Safari. If we could battle normally in the Safari Zone, that would be most ideal. Guess there always has to be a quirk.

Khoshi

[b]とてもかわいい![/b]
    Years
    I prefer the Friend Safari, as it allowed you to choose the types of Pokemon you want to catch, while the Safari Zone has everything all over the place. The FS just seems more...organised, I guess. Granted the exploration the Safari Zone brought was fun in its own right and the choices of Pokemon were pretty good, but I don't feel bad that it's not in the game or anything.

Back