• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

OBJECTION! (An Ace Attorney topic!)

Dragon

lover of milotics
Years
  • OBJECTION! (An Ace Attorney topic!)

Is anyone else a fan of the Ace attorney series of games? Just to give you a list of the Ace Attorney Games:

Phoenix Wright: Ace Attorney
    Phoenix Wright: Justice for All
    Phoenix Wright: Trials & Tribulations
    Apollo Justice: Ace Attorney
    Miles Edgeworth: Ace Attorney Investigations
    Miles Edgeworth: Ace Attorney Investigations 2
    Ace Attorney Dual Destinies

Feel free to use this topic to discuss all about the Ace Attorney games, and your thoughts about them. :3

Years
    • Age 29
    • Seen Mar 22, 2024
    Yes! I've played all of them except AAI2 - to my knowledge it's never been localized except for fan-made ones.

I got Ace Attorney Dual Destinies about a month ago, but only got as far as the second case's initial investigation. For some reason, it's just not as gripping as the previous games to me. Usually I can't put them down after I start, but I'm almost forcing myself to investigate in this one. Maybe it was because I was really looking forward to more familiar faces, and all these replacements are kind of disappointing. I love Gumshoe, and I see no reason at all to replace him.

And I know it's become a tradition to have a new spunky, young female sidekick in all the games, but Athena's just not growing on me. When Maya left, I got used to Trucy, and then Kay pretty quickly and grew to like them a lot, but it's not happening with Athena.

But even characters aside, this Youkai case isn't that interesting to me yet, and neither was the first case, really; hope it picks up.

I do intend to finish the game though, after my finals, maybe I'll be able to get more into it then!

I am loving the animated cutscenes though, those are pretty cool.

«Chuckles»

Sharky
    Years
    • Seen Apr 29, 2023
    OBJECTION! (An Ace Attorney topic!)

Played them all except Duel Destinies. Great series of games and the idea behind them is fabulous. I would recommend this series to anyone who wants a good puzzle game on the DS. Really love some of the cases and they make you think alot. It is a great game with great plots and some bits shocked me. Great series of games that I will try and get into once the second half of my holidays are over.

Last edited:

machomuu

Stuck in Hot Girl Summer
    Years
  • Yes! I've played all of them except AAI2 - to my knowledge it's never been localized except for fan-made ones.

I got Ace Attorney Dual Destinies about a month ago, but only got as far as the second case's initial investigation. For some reason, it's just not as gripping as the previous games to me. Usually I can't put them down after I start, but I'm almost forcing myself to investigate in this one. Maybe it was because I was really looking forward to more familiar faces, and all these replacements are kind of disappointing. I love Gumshoe, and I see no reason at all to replace him.
    I love Gumshoe as well, but I think that Fulbright is a great replacement and step-up over AJ Ema (She's one of few characters that never really grew on me, as much as I liked Apollo Justice. Loved her in AAI and Ace Attorney, though). I understand wanting Gumshoe back, but given that he's played a major role in five games (as well as the fact that he works for Edgeworth mostly, so there'd be little reason for him to come back), I think it's fine that they didn't bring him back for this one. I mean, they bring characters back all the time, so when they introduce new ones, I think it really hits home on the charm that made the original games so attractive to begin with.

And really, I think they did a fantastic job with Fulbright, especially as he develops and you get to see more of his relationship and chemistry with Blackquill. He's well written, funny, and I just think he's a good fit. Though I guess he gets better in the later cases, since I think the cases after the second are the strongest ones.

I do understand what you mean, though, as much as I loved DD, there was something about it that had me less gripped than the others. I can't really say for sure what it was, especially considering that they basically went all-out on this one, as far as mechanics, quality, cinematics, and streamlining were concerned. This was more the case in the Youkai Trail than it was with the others, but it kind of persisted throughout, and I'm not completely sure why.

SomariFeyWright

Seven years is all it takes...
    Years
  • OBJECTION! (An Ace Attorney topic!)

Aw yeah! THIS is what I'm talking about.

I've played every single game, except AAI2 for obvious reasons. Phoenix, Apollo, and Athena have really grown on me on protagonists, and I adore every single game. Ace Attorney did an excellent job kicking things off, JFA gace some excellent development for Nick, T&T tied up the loose ends perfectly, AJ... existed... and DD made Apollo amazing, introduced Athena, and showed us a grown-up Pearly, as well as introducing Athena, not to mention it had more charming typos than a Harvest Moon game.It's great franchise.

Plus Maya's kinda mai waifu and the love of my life so yeah why was she just glanced over in DD if she isn't fully there in GS6 someone suffers

Years
    • Seen Jun 17, 2015
    I've only ever played a single game of the series, but I loved it. I never expected to enjoy a game about being a lawyer but I believe that game is one of the most engaging games I've ever played. This is essentially a digital book, but I think I've been smitten by it.

Aquacorde

⟡ dig down, dig down ⟡
    Years
  • I played everything except AAI2. In order. Within a month. Still on an AA trip ngl. But I really enjoy them all- even though the transition from 3 to 4 was a little hard, 3 had wrapped up most of the characters' stories pretty brilliantly. And I like the cast of 4 a lot. Though Apollo was pretty much a catalyst for the continuing saga of Phoenix's life and drama in that game and didn't actually receive a lot of personal development, the interactions between the cast totally made the game. It was interesting and charming and well could have been better but it's lovely anyway.

idk I think I'm really invested in post-timeskip era because it hasn't really been resolved. Like pre-timeskip is nice and wrapped up and beautiful and I loved it, but it's done now. I'll go back and enjoy it when I'm ready, but right now I'm having fun with post-skip. Apollo is my favourite overall too and 5 cemented that. ;w; yay development and heartbreak

AAI was... different lol. I liked it but I've heard AAI2 is like miles better.

and shawn im so happy about your forum splashes you dont even know sdfghj

Last edited:

Dragon

lover of milotics
    Years
  • yes the forum splash is the best asdfghjkl;

Anywho, I've played all the Ace Attorney games, of course, except for AAI2, which is only in Japanese. Ugh, I'm still pretty disappointed over that, but, oh well, I guess. I really loved AA5, because it had really great character promotion, like Apollo who was -behind- the spotlight in his own game, was really magnificent this time around!

Did anyone play the DLC case of AA5? Thought that was pretty cool!

Aquacorde

⟡ dig down, dig down ⟡
    Years
  • The DLC case was fun and lighthearted and silly in the middle of the darkness that was the rest of 5. er imma put the rest in spoiler i guess because i'm actually about to talk about the conclusions and such srs dont look if you intend to play it
    Spoiler:

You know what I want now? More DLC cases. I want an Apollo&Phoenix case and a Phoenix&Trucy case. I want to see Klavier again because boy did they not address his suffering or what? Considering what AA4 put him through you would think they'd at least mention it. Brother and best friend gone and band broken up within a short period of time and he's still smiling and has no issues apparently and not even a significant haircut. ???? And considering various things, I'd like to see Ema back as the lead detective for a case. And maybe learning to accept her position and bring her talents/interestes into her job. i just want lots of things that im not going to get ok

Years
    • Seen May 28, 2019
    I heard a great idea of a case with Phoenix and Franziska meeting Athena in Europe and a "what if" case where Trucy and Apollo switch roles, and you play as lawyer Trucy.

Diablerie

Exceptionally Adequate
    Years
  • Played all of them except AAI2, and have just beaten the third case of Dual Destinies. I didn't really like the first two cases, but I genuinely got into Turnabout Academy, the best one in this game so far, in my mind.

Spoiler:

Having completed case 3, what would you guys recommend now? Is it preferable to do the DLC case immediately, or move onto case 4 and save DLC for later?

Dragon

lover of milotics
    Years
  • Hey well, Professor Layton vs Phoenix Wright will be coming to stores in EU on March 28th! Whiiich no mention of NA release dates yet, but, I assume they'll be right around the corner too!

Aquacorde

⟡ dig down, dig down ⟡
    Years
  • @Spino I'd be interested in both of those tbh. Would the swap one be like an AU case or would there be an in-universe reason for that switch?

@Diablerie The DLC case can pretty much be done at any time. I did it after I finished everything else buuut... it'd be perfectly fine for you to do it now. idk I can't explain my reasoning without potentially spoiling a lot D:

wah I have to play all the Layton games before then I suppose (because I'm like that). I haven't really looked into it much but I've seen gifs and a few cutscenes and it looks really cool!

Diablerie

Exceptionally Adequate
    Years
  • Yeah I've only played one of the Layton games, but I do feel like I have to do the rest now before the crossover game gets here. Their marketing strategy is working. :)

After hearing the DLC case was mostly filler I decided to go with it first, and I've already shot right through to trial day 2. So far it's fun, seems a lot like the circus case but with more likable characters. This is also the first case in the game I'm genuinely a bit uncertain about who the killer is, though I suspect
    Spoiler:

Aquacorde

⟡ dig down, dig down ⟡
    Years
  • Yeah I was pretty much ahead of the game for that entire case except for the question of motive. I tend to see the best in people so I'm always like "oh but they can't have killed for that reason..." It's certainly a cute case. And I had that damn song in my head for DAYS ugh.

Diablerie

Exceptionally Adequate
    Years
  • I agree with your earlier comment about Klavier, found it a bit odd how the Gavinners have only just broken up and they're now immediately getting back together to play at Themis. Still, he's a fun character and the mock trial was a neat little touch - I didn't realise how badly I'd missed Guilty Love until it turned up again. Was I the only one a tad disappointed by the fact that his voice wasn't more German or more rock-n-roll than it was?

Off to play the rest of the DLC case now, gonna be interesting to see how close to the mark I was with my predictions...

Aquacorde

⟡ dig down, dig down ⟡
    Years
  • I wonder if he pulled some strings to get Daryan out of jail or just went with a substitute. I mean there wasn't even a mention of THAT. im so annoyed. I don't even know why lmao I was just kind of "eh" about Klavier until I finished DD and started poking around fanworks and started noticing "hey, they didn't address hardly any of that boy's issues." And the more I think about his character the more I adore him like... what a dork. A prosecutor that has a rock band made up of law people like what even. With his (even textually) obvious affected Eurorock accent and image just. What are you like, Klavier Gavin???

laughed my ass off at his voice acting ngl. Totally not what I imagined.

machomuu

Stuck in Hot Girl Summer
    Years
  • Yeah, but he was voiced by Yuri Lowenthal, a fantastic voice actor, so I can't really complain. Back in the AJ days, I thought his voice was deep, though not as deep as his brother's, but Phoenix made it perfectly clear that he had a light, Euro-rock voice.

But eh, I think it turned out well.

Years
  • I remember my brother playing one of the Ace Attorney games a few years ago on an emulator and he showed me, but I don't really remember what it was about. What is the game like? What makes it such a great game? I've been looking for a good DS game to play.

Diablerie

Exceptionally Adequate
    Years
  • Ace Attorney is a series of visual novel games centering around a rookie defense attorney Phoenix Wright (in the first 3 games, at least) and the various murder cases he deals with. The gameplay is made up of investigation and trial chapters with the aim of defending your client in court, solving each of the complicated crimes and exposing the true culprit. The games are known for having a large cast of eccentric and exaggerated characters and a clever murder-mystery type story. It's a heavily text-based game.

I'm sure everyone's mileage varies, but for me I enjoy the character interactions and the process of unravelling the increasingly complicated plots.

I wonder if he pulled some strings to get Daryan out of jail or just went with a substitute.
    I get the feeling they probably weren't too keen on the idea of bringing a convicted murderer to a school just to play a couple songs. But then again, they brought a convicted murderer to prosecute trials, so hey, who knows really.

And I'm probably being nitpicky, but did no one recognise Junie's outfit as Lamiroir's? Phoenix, Apollo and Gavin were all there, and none of them seemed to notice (or mention it, at least, if they did). I do like the anime cutscenes as a whole though, definitely a cool addition, it's nice to be able to put a voice to the usually-silent characters. Klavier's was a bit unexpected for me, but Fulbright's was exactly as I expected. :) "Yup! Prosecutor Blackquill's an inmate!"

Back