• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Please note that users with less than 6 posts will have their threads/posts go to the approval queue if it has links or messages. This counts edits made to threads/posts after they were already approved and is intentional anti-spam behavior that is unfortunately necessary. Once you reach 6 posts, this will no longer occur.
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

Emerald hack: Obsidian Emerald v1.4 Release [VGC/Doubles Challenge/QoL/Modernization Hack, Story Completed]

Days
    • Seen yesterday
    OBSIDIAN_EMERALD_BANNER.png
    A PvE experience for VGC Fans
    Hello Pokécommunity! This is my first post, and it's to tell you about my ROM hack, Pokémon Obsidian Emerald, made together with co-designer Speaker. We love the VGC format of competitive Pokémon, which pits players against each other in Double Battles. It has always been our opinion that 2v2 battles offer a much richer experience than singles. We have also been huge fans of difficulty/enhancement hacks for a long time. A little over a year ago, we began to wonder whether there were any ROM hacks that would offer a VGC fan like ourselves a fully Doubles experience that would force us to craft competitive teams with well-thought-out synergies to overcome powerful VGC-inspired opponents, all with a modernized battle engine and quality-of-life features. After a lot of searching, we came up empty, so we decided to make it happen! The result is Obsidian Emerald Version.

Obsidian Emerald Version is currently on v1.4, which has just released! We will continue to update the game, and have already implemented many community-suggested features, balance changes and more. Currently, the game is complete through defeating the Champion. The post-game will be updated in version 2.0, which Speaker and I will begin working towards soon!

To download the game, you can use this Google Drive link, which also contains a full Changelog and the documentation:

If you're up for it, please join our discord! We have a great community growing there, and would love to hear your suggestions, receive your bug reports, and see your Hall of Fame teams!

Trailer (outdated):
    Spoiler:

Screenshots:
    mGBA_TIrcy7s1l1.png mGBA_TIrcy7s1l1.png
    mGBA_zsP1Bk2LV3.pngmGBA_bzx9a9E82m.png

Features:
    Spoiler:

FAQ:
    Spoiler:

Many thanks to everyone who worked directly on or provided features for this project!
    Contributers:
    Spoiler:

Last edited:
    Days
    • Seen Jun 8, 2024
    I love playing difficulty hacks, but spamming single battles tends to get monotonous very fast. This will take me out of my comfort zone for sure but I am hyped for it

Years
    • Seen today
    Thank you very much for this. There's a lot of features I love from what I'm reading :smile:

I'm doing a test run on the Nuzlocke mode, and I found something strange:

Obsidian Emerald v1.4 Release [VGC/Doubles Challenge/QoL/Modernization Hack, Story Completed]
    Obsidian Emerald v1.4 Release [VGC/Doubles Challenge/QoL/Modernization Hack, Story Completed]
    For some reason, the game allowed me to catch a second Pokémon on Route 102 (it locked me to one in 101 and 103), not sure if it's intended or the catch limit may glitch sometimes.

Days
    • Seen yesterday
    I love playing difficulty hacks, but spamming single battles tends to get monotonous very fast. This will take me out of my comfort zone for sure but I am hyped for it
    love to hear it, i hope it's a fun change of pace!

Days
    • Seen yesterday
    Thank you very much for this. There's a lot of features I love from what I'm reading :smile:

I'm doing a test run on the Nuzlocke mode, and I found something strange:

View attachment 160097
    View attachment 160098
    View attachment 160099
    For some reason, the game allowed me to catch a second Pokémon on Route 102 (it locked me to one in 101 and 103), not sure if it's intended or the catch limit may glitch sometimes.
    Thanks for the heads up! We've noticed that sometimes this happens, and are working on nailing down the reason. If you think you have a guess as to any specific circumstances that cause it to happen, don't hesitate to reach out - discord is probably the fastest way, but I'll check this thread periodically too

Edit: This has been fixed, along with a few other minor bugs, namely:
    • Static overworld encounters now properly count as an encounter (like Voltorb in New Mauvile)
    • New Mauville and Mauville City now count as separate maps for purposes of Nuzlocke Mode
    • Shiny odds for chaining with the DexNav were too low due to a bug; they are now correct and approximately twice as high for large chains
    Thanks for letting us know and hope you have fun!

Last edited:
    Back