• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

5th Gen Official English Name Discussion

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ho-Oh

used Sacred Fire!
    Years
    • Seen Jul 1, 2023
    ...dreamyard? OH GOD. I don't really like that. :x

I dislike the bringing two words together thing, but meh (like dragonspiral, skyarrow, etc), but at least White Forest and Black City were kept. Those two I think are the most important out of all the names, and keeping them means well, it could've been worse, so I'm not going to really judge on the rest, since they sound okay as a whole. I guess this is one advantage of trying to avoid name spoilers and get attached to them, because otherwise I'd complain a lot more.

Zelda

⍃⍍⍄ ⍃⍍⍄
    Years
    • Age 8
    • +
    • Seen Sep 15, 2020
    I actually find Skyarrow to come off better without a space like the Japanese names have it to be; Sky Arrow. Maybe I've just been seeing it this way more than I really payed attention to when it had a space, I guess. :<

To be honest, Celestial Tower and Tower of Heaven both sound like suitable names for the tower. XD In my opinion Celestial rolls off the tongue better though. Tower of Heaven is a nice simplistic name, but I prefer the former over it. Celestial Tower also happens to have meaning of the word heaven as well, since it is "Belonging to aerial regions, or visible heavens."

Years
    • Age 33
    • Seen Aug 21, 2021
    They probably didn't want to refer to "heaven" exactly either, they might be worried the whole "pokemon are demon spawn" thing would come up again. :S

King Gumball

Haven't been here for ages...
    Years
    I quite like Opelucid City and Tubeline Bridge. Opelucid is a nice sounding word that is easy to say, much, much better than Souyyu City. One of my overall best sounding City names in Pokemon :) Tubline Bridge is better than Cylinder Bidge IMO. It sounds more modern and sort of makes the bridge sound... 'faster' if you know what I mean, like Tubeline makes it sound like it is for faster transport i.e. trains. It is more fitting.

Wellspring Cave is a thousand times better than 'the opening of an underground vein' XD

But I don't really like 'Cold Storage', Lostlorn forest', and 'Marvelous Bridge'. I liked the Japanese names better.

PlatinumDude

Nyeh?
    Years
    I like "Illusion Forest" better than "Lostlorn Forest;" it suits Zoroark better. Chargestone Cave sound more catchier than "Electric Rock Cave."

Ho-Oh

used Sacred Fire!
    Years
    • Seen Jul 1, 2023
    But I don't really like 'Cold Storage'

The original name "Freezer Containers" didn't even make sense as it was imo. :x (In fact it sounded boring). At least cold storage somewhat makes sense, but just seems like poorly used grammar.

King Gumball

Years

The original name "Freezer Containers" didn't even make sense as it was imo. :x (In fact it sounded boring). At least cold storage somewhat makes sense, but just seems like poorly used grammar.

Yeah I didn't really like 'Freezer Containers' either ;x I do like Freezer Containers better than 'Cold Storage' though. Cold Storage doesn't resemble a suitable name imo. Who calls something cold storage? XD I think the Freezer Containers should have been re named to maybe '______
    shipping co.' like given a company name, that would have made better sense :/

Years
    • Seen Mar 15, 2011
    They probably didn't want to refer to "heaven" exactly either, they might be worried the whole "pokemon are demon spawn" thing would come up again. :S
    I think it may be more of a religion reasoning behind it's name being changed. When used in the way Tower of Heaven does, it more ore less seems to point towards Christianity. Others religions may have a Heaven-like afterlife themselves, but Heaven just has that Christian or Catholic link. The individuals who translate and rename these creatures and structures in the game probably chose to change this to keep any religious connotations out of a child's game for fear of effecting sales and bringing up possible lawsuits. People sue over anything these days and having something religious in a game directed towards younger individuals is pretty much Shark Sugar for these people. They could argue that the developers are "covertly attempting to convert children towards their religious beliefs and followings" which may, again, cause bad press and effect sales. It's better to just avoid things like this all together.

And about the Cold Storage conversation, it reminds of the Halo 3 map. Now every time I hear that, I will think of the Flood floating in test tubes.

The Lord of Smug
    Years
    • Age 31
    • Seen Oct 17, 2013
    I always thought the name was Tower of Heavens, which makes a lot of sense, as its a tower reaching into the heavens. (notice the uncapitalized heavens.)

The Red Chain

All of the English names are a bit confusing, and most of them are unnecessary changes to me. Such as :

• P2 Lab is now P2 Laboratory - .. Why?
    • Ancient Castle is now Relic Castle - .... x.x; Really?
    • Giant Hole is now Giant Chasm - Same difference. D:
    Those are only a few, but.. I'm just not understanding the absolute need to change simplistic things. It's not a horrible game-changing thing, but it does irk me really badly. ;_;

Some of the names are kinda complicated, and it makes it a little hard to say certain names.. much less to understand them. D; I guess overall, they are okay, but eh.

King Gumball

Years
    All of the English names are a bit confusing, and most of them are unnecessary changes to me. Such as :

• P2 Lab is now P2 Laboratory - .. Why?
    • Ancient Castle is now Relic Castle - .... x.x; Really?
    • Giant Hole is now Giant Chasm - Same difference. D:
    Those are only a few, but.. I'm just not understanding the absolute need to change simplistic things. It's not a horrible game-changing thing, but it does irk me really badly. ;_;

Some of the names are kinda complicated, and it makes it a little hard to say certain names.. much less to understand them. D; I guess overall, they are okay, but eh.

Yeah those minor changes were pretty unneeded. Though the name 'Giant Hole' needed to be changed though XD Giant Chasm gives it a more exciting feel, and I wont be expecting just a giant... hole.

Rai

Quarter Life Crisis! @.@
    Years
    Has anyone noticed how close Sewaddle's and Dwebble's names are? That are pretty much the same name and they aren't even in the same line.

PlatinumDude

Nyeh?
    Years
    Has anyone noticed how close Sewaddle's and Dwebble's names are? That are pretty much the same name and they aren't even in the same line.
    I don't see any similarities to those names at all. Other than the fact they're Bug Pokemon with good Attack, they don't have much in common.

Sewaddle comes from "sew" and "swaddling" and Dwebble comes from "dwelling" and "pebble." I don't see any relation between those words.

Ho-Oh

used Sacred Fire!
    Years
    • Seen Jul 1, 2023

Lillipup. Lilligant. Petilil.

That's the annoying ons tbh. :x For that reason I kinda wish Lillipup had a different name because IT IS JUST NOT A FREAKING LILLY. And yeah I know the name concept behind it, but haaaaaaaaaaaate.

Rai

Quarter Life Crisis! @.@
    Years
    I don't see any similarities to those names at all. Other than the fact they're Bug Pokemon with good Attack, they don't have much in common.

Sewaddle comes from "sew" and "swaddling" and Dwebble comes from "dwelling" and "pebble." I don't see any relation between those words.

Sewaddle - S = ewaddle.
    Dwebble - D = webble.

I know the concepts behind them are different, but without the first letters they look very similar.

Lillipup. Lilligant. Petilil.

That's the annoying ons tbh. :x For that reason I kinda wish Lillipup had a different name because IT IS JUST NOT A FREAKING LILLY. And yeah I know the name concept behind it, but haaaaaaaaaaaate.

I agree completely D:

Dillon_68

Lover of Winter
    Years
    Sewaddle - S = ewaddle.
    Dwebble - D = webble.

I know the concepts behind them are different, but without the first letters they look very similar.

I agree completely D:

I don't see the similarities. Lower case d's and b's may be inverses of each other but they aren't the same letter.

Ho-Oh

used Sacred Fire!
    Years
    • Seen Jul 1, 2023
    Maybe it's the way you're pronouncing them? I don't see how Dwebble and Sewaddle are similar, either :x

Talking about Sewaddle's line, Swadloon sounds kind of terrible. D;

Ho-Oh

used Sacred Fire!
    Years
    • Seen Jul 1, 2023
    How does a cowboy relate to a bug? --Ooh, I googled. Swad is like a pod, so it actually does relate to Swadloon perfectly. Just sounds bad, they used up all the good ones on earlier generations!

Status
    Not open for further replies.
    Back