• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

5th Gen Official English Name Discussion

Status
Not open for further replies.

Everyone Esplode Noaw

Resident Russia Fanboy
Years
  • Pansage is a bit... confusing (I don't even know what "sage" means O_o). But like always, we'll get used to them eventually. :3
    Sage is a plant used in cooking and sometimes religious ceremonies. It is supposedly good for warding off evil spirits / demons.

I really like the monkeys' names, except for Pansear. It sounds too much like Pan + Sear, as in searing something in a pan, but whatever...
    I don't hate it, I just like Pansage and Panpour a bit more than Pansear. Especially Pansage.

Dillon_68

Lover of Winter
    Years
  • The names also probably coincide with the waiter Gym Leaders, being culinary related.

Sage: Herb used in foods.
    Sear: To scorch (like with a frying pan)
    Pour: To pour water or a drink.

Years
    • Age 33
    • Seen Aug 21, 2021
    The names also probably coincide with the waiter Gym Leaders, being culinary related.

Sage: Herb used in foods.
    Sear: To scorch (like with a frying pan)
    Pour: To pour water or a drink.

I was just coming here to post the same thing, but you got here first.

You could also say Pan is referring to a frying pan. At first I thought it had something to do with the greek god Pan....but don't seem to have anything in their design or moveset that hints at a relationship...

I have some predictions for their evo names....some are a bit silly though:

Pansage --> Panasil (Basil), (Could be based on another random herb so it's hard to predict....)
    Pansear --> Panscorch (as in Scorch), Panloaf (as in loafing around, he looks like a lazy loafer :p) Pansaute (As in Saute...something similar to searing)
    Panpour --> Pantain (as in Rain or Fountain)

I think Pantain sounds the best of my predictions...for some reason I think they'll keep the Pan part of their names when they evolve.

Last edited:

Gokey Shuckle

Bisexual and Proud
    Years
  • I like the names for the Monkeys so far. They are pretty ingenious. I have some name predictions for the Gym Leaders:

Gym Trio: Bloom, Blaze, and Blake (from lake)
    Aloe: Norma (from Normal), Ava (from average), Vera (from average), Noreen (from normal)
    Arti: Beesley (from bee), Critton (from critter)
    Kamitsure: Voltara (from volt and Tara), Ellie (from electric), Kammy (in reference to "kaminari" meaning lightning), Electra/Elektra (from electric).
    Yacon: Sanders (from sand), Lando (from land)
    Fuuro: Wendy (from windy), Wynnie or Wynn(wind + winnie), Bree (from breeze)
    Hachiku: Burchill ("brrrr" + chill) - PERFECT!
    Shaga: Nogard (dragon backwards), Hyde (from hydra), Tallon (from talon)
    Iris: Kiyo (Kiyo was a Japanese waitress who, when spurned by a priest, turned herself into a dragon to seek revenge), Skyla (based on a mythical dragon named "Scylla" that was once human)

Perriechu

i make this look easy tik-tik boom like gasoline-y
    Years
  • Minccino - Chillarmy
    Gigalith - Gigaiath
    Sandile - Meguroco
    Blitzle - Shimama
    Pidove - Mamepato
    Klink - Gear
    Darmanitan - Hihidaruma
    Professor Araragi - Professor Juniper

Sheer force - Encourage
    Overconfidence - Moxie
    Pigeon Heart - Big Pecks.

Castelia City - Huin City.

At least Munna gets to stay as Munna :D

Some of those names are terrible though, especially Chillarmy ;~;

Dillon_68

Lover of Winter
    Years
  • Every single new name is genius and clever, I love it.

Minccino = Mink + Chino cloth (Sounds italian, "min-cheeno")
    Darmanitan = Daruma/Dharma + Orangutan
    Sandile = Sand + Crocodile
    Pidove = Dove + Pidgeon (I'm glad they cleared up which one it is, lol, I thought it resembled both)
    Klink = Onomatopoeia for the sound gears make. (LOVE IT)
    Blitzle = Blitz + Gazelle? (Has a ring to it but makes no sense to me.I wouldh've used "Zeblitz" instead.)
    Gigalith = Giga + -lith (Suffix for stone/rock)
    Munna = Munna (lol)

Professor Juniper = BEST FREAKIN PROFESSOR NAME

PS: I live about 10 miles from a town called Castelia. lol.

Last edited:

The Lord of Smug
    Years
    • Age 31
    • Seen Oct 17, 2013
    I thought Blitzle and Sandile were uncreative, but I love all the others, especially Klink.
    But, seriously, Moxie?

Be afraid of my Moxie Waruvial!!!!

countryemo

Kicking against the earth!
    Years
  • Minccino - Chillarmy
    Gigalith - Gigaiath
    Sandile - Meguroco
    Blitzle - Shimama
    Pidove - Mamepato
    Klink - Gear
    Darmanitan - Hihidaruma
    Professor Araragi - Professor Juniper

Sheer force - Encourage
    Overconfidence - Moxie
    Pigeon Heart - Big Pecks.

Castelia City - Huin City.
    Pansage
    Pansear
    Panpour

I bolded the ones I dislike
    I did this for the ones that are ok, but kinda weird
    I can live I guess.
    But how does Pigeon Heart turns into Big Pecks? o.O
    And wth is Moxie..

OmegaRuby and AlphaSapphire

10000 year Emperor of Hoenn
    Years
  • Hey, I'm actually pretty pleased with them. For those worried about how they aren't really chimpanzees... well... I mean... Charmander isn't exactly a Salamader now is he? At least, I've never seen an amphibian that becomes a lizard, since Amphibians are generally seen as more genetically complex.
    Still, I'm going with Oakkey, Smokkey, and Soakkey for my nicknames. :)
    uh there are two types of Salamenders the real life one which is the amphibian and the mystical fire breathing lizard one...Charmander is based on the second type...
    I don't like the prof's new name...but I guess I'll get used to it, I like all the other names though specially Blitzle :)

I bolded the ones I dislike
    I did this for the ones that are ok, but kinda weird
    I can live I guess.
    But how does Pigeon Heart turns into Big Pecks? o.O
    And wth is Moxie..
    I was curious to what Moxie was/meant and here it is it means:
    1. The ability to face difficulty with spirit and courage.
    2. Aggressive energy; initiative: "His prose has moxie, though it rushes and stumbles from a pent-up surge" (Patricia Hampl).
    3. Skill; know-how.
    So just like overconfidence it has to do with Spirit so it does make sense for it to be "Moxie"

Last edited:

Crysta Blade

Shooty Refutey
    Years
  • (copied and pasted from another forum)

All this information...! Now that's a nice birthday present!

Pidove: It's okay. Not bad, but it doesn't particularly stand out or anything.

Sandile: Makes me think of sandals. A couple of people saw this one coming, didn't they?

Blitzle: Ah, I do love me some gratuitous German. I'm loving this Pokémon even more now! Didn't think it was possible, but hey.

Minccino: To be honest, I thought it'd keep its Japanese name and give a name like this to the evolution.

Klink: Much better than its Japanese name, then again anything would. Now I'm thinking of incarceration. You know, the clink? Anybody?

Darmanitan: Nice to see the daruma reference hasn't been thrown out. And am I the only one reminded of Darmani the dead Goron from Zelda: Majora's Mask?

Gigalith: The giga-sized monolith. It works.

Strange that Munna is staying the same. Huh.

Castelia City: I like it, but where does the name come from? The towns are named after patterns in Japanese, any sign of that here?

Professor Juniper: Also a lovely name. Nice!

Sheer Force: It gives more of a clue to its effect than its Japanese name, so that's good.

Big Pecks: ...I can only wince and cough politely. That is all.

Moxie: This word needs more love. I would've called it Arrogance myself. Meh, I'll live. *shrug*

Wild Charge: Sounds more like a physical move now, so that's a plus.

Tail Slap: Well, all the Pokémon who can use it have tails... More specific than Sweep Slap.

I was wondering if they'd change Telekinesis, but I'm totally cool with it staying the same.

On a more speculative note... Some Gym Leaders.

Dent - Reid (from reed)
    Pod - Bernard (from burn)
    Corn - Shaun (from shore)
    Arty - Timothy (from moth)
    Kamitsure - Farah (from farahday, a unit of electricity)
    Yakon - Clayton (from clay. I've heard this name suggested by many and I quite like it)
    Fuuro - Gail or Abigail (from gale)
    Shaga - Vern or Vernon (from wyvern)
    Iris - Tia (from Tiamat, a dragon from Babylonian legend)

OmegaRuby and AlphaSapphire

10000 year Emperor of Hoenn
    Years
  • (copied and pasted from another forum)

All this information...! Now that's a nice birthday present!

Pidove: It's okay. Not bad, but it doesn't particularly stand out or anything.

Sandile: Makes me think of sandals. A couple of people saw this one coming, didn't they?

Blitzle: Ah, I do love me some gratuitous German. I'm loving this Pokémon even more now! Didn't think it was possible, but hey.

Minccino: To be honest, I thought it'd keep its Japanese name and give a name like this to the evolution.

Klink: Much better than its Japanese name, then again anything would. Now I'm thinking of incarceration. You know, the clink? Anybody?

Darmanitan: Nice to see the daruma reference hasn't been thrown out. And am I the only one reminded of Darmani the dead Goron from Zelda: Majora's Mask?

Gigalith: The giga-sized monolith. It works.

Strange that Munna is staying the same. Huh.

Castelia City: I like it, but where does the name come from? The towns are named after patterns in Japanese, any sign of that here?

Professor Juniper: Also a lovely name. Nice!

Sheer Force: It gives more of a clue to its effect than its Japanese name, so that's good.

Big Pecks: ...I can only wince and cough politely. That is all.

Moxie: This word needs more love. I would've called it Arrogance myself. Meh, I'll live. *shrug*

Wild Charge: Sounds more like a physical move now, so that's a plus.

Tail Slap: Well, all the Pokémon who can use it have tails... More specific than Sweep Slap.

I was wondering if they'd change Telekinesis, but I'm totally cool with it staying the same.

On a more speculative note... Some Gym Leaders.

Dent - Reid (from reed)
    Pod - Bernard (from burn)
    Corn - Shaun (from shore)
    Arty - Timothy (from moth)
    Kamitsure - Farah (from farahday, a unit of electricity)
    Yakon - Clayton (from clay. I've heard this name suggested by many and I quite like it)
    Fuuro - Gail or Abigail (from gale)
    Shaga - Vern or Vernon (from wyvern)
    Iris - Tia (from Tiamat, a dragon from Babylonian legend)
    I like your Speculation gym leaders names specially Tia and Gail, some of my favorite english names :)

Perriechu

i make this look easy tik-tik boom like gasoline-y
    Years
  • I want Iris/Dento/Aloe/Arty to keep there original names...

Please Gamefreak? :3

GlitchCity

GlitchxCity
    Years
  • I am loling at "Big Pecks". Also Im loving Professor Araragis new name; Professor Juniper.

offtopic: her english name reminds me of that show The Life and Times of Juniper Lee :D

Status
    Not open for further replies.
    Back