• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

1st Gen Official glitch discussion thread.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Years
    • Seen Oct 21, 2009
    But people went crazy when they heard there was a 151 pkmn. So there had to be a Mew in the game. Only Tajiri and those who programmed knew it though.

>Bent<

awhups
    Years
  • But people went crazy when they heard there was a 151 pkmn. So there had to be a Mew in the game. Only Tajiri and those who programmed knew it though.
    Programming a Pokemon into the game and programming an encounter of a Pokemon into the game are two very, very different things.

It's true that Mew does exist in the game. However, Oddish also exists in Blue, even though he can only be caught in Red.

151 Pokemon were programmed into the game from the beginning, but not all were obtainable. Mew was the only Pokemon who was totally unobtainable -- he existed, but there was no way to catch him.

Remember when Ruby and Sapphire came out? You could only capture 200 Pokemon total, between the two games. Some people thought that the other Pokemon didn't exist any more -- but in reality, the other Pokemon do exist in Ruby and Sapphire (it's why you can trade them to R/S). It' just totally impossible to catch them in it.

The existence of a Pokemon in the game named Mew with its own level-up moves and Pokedex entry was intentional, but the glitch that allows you to encounter Mew was unintentional, an error in the programming.

Years
    • Seen Oct 21, 2009
    Yes, I have seen that in my Pokémon Guide. Some Pokémon is there, said to be in the game, but the guide says their not available and their is no information (stats and such) about them.

By the way, I have heard you cannot trade between the japanese and american version of the games so I tested to be sure. I had a jp silver and an us gold and I was let into the trading room! But when I was about to trade a text said in the us version: 'Your friend's ??????? seems to be abnormal. Sorry, but the trade is canceled.'
    Ok, I thought. You cannot trade. So I was about to cancel, but when the arrow you choose Pokémon or cancel with did not work (in the us verison) as it should have. Instead of the arrow appear before the 'C' in Cancel, it appeared in place of the 'e'. I pushed the A button an data on this Pokémon appeared:

(a Mewtwo sprite) No.150 L.253
    /Mewtwo
    (a HP meter that is half and yellow)
    A21/A21
    Exp. 213954
    Level up 6269876
    To 254
    (the exp meter is full)
    Item: Star piece (don't know what that is)
    Sky Attack PP:0/5
    Transform PP:0/40
    Petal Dance PP:0/20
    Petal Dance PP:61/32
    IDno. 20640
    OT/?
    (And each of its stats is A21)

I was named Satoshi in both verisons, but the jp said the friend was suriiputekumo (sleeptecmo maybe) and the us said the friend was KTL. In the US you could not see the friend's pkmn, but in the japanese the friend had (which I did no thave):

No.006 Teatosoteku/Rizaadon(Charizard in the US) Lv.0
    HP: 0/(some strange symbol)48
    Exp. 5111808
    Lv.1 (full exp meter)
    Reitoupanchi PP:13/21
    Atk:0
    Def:(a strange symbol)44
    SPCL. Atk:(other strange symbol)96
    SPCL. Def:(other strange symbol)96
    SP:(strange symbol)44

There was also a Zubat (which I had) but this one was strange.
    Also 3 ??????. One had the attack Hasamu PP16/30, the other had Tsubasadeutsu (wing attack) PP16/35, the third Kaminaripanchi PP:7/24

At the US version, in the empty list od friend's pkmn you could find these:

Lv.153
    78/Nidorino
    HP: (full meter)-52/ö37
    (its techniques:)Spore, Poison Gas, Petal Dance, Petal Dance
    Atk:149
    Def:;79
    SPCL. Atk:I01
    SPCL. Def:ä60
    SP:ö23

No.00 L.0
    (The info about this pkmn changes from)
    Type: Steel
    (to)
    (and then to strange symbols)

Again in the jp verison:

/Yadoran

(no attack here) PP:10/67
    Haganenotsubasa (metal wing) PP:63/28
    Daatarukoudoru PP:48/24

US version: (a sprite of Hanekko/Hopip, which I have at the jp verison) L.0
    77777777777777777777777777777/Hoppip
    HP: (full meter) 60/60
    Item:SlowPokeTail
    Confusion PP:0/25
    OT/;J
    Atk:60
    Def:28
    SPCL. Atk:0
    SPCL. Def:0
    SP:60

There was also a strange Haunter, Lv.0 with a SlowpokeTail and OT/mj

It's a very strange and funny glitch when you try to trade betwen two non-compatible games. I wanted to see what happened if you started a Pokémon battle:

US version: you encounter ! (a mewtwo sprite)
    JP version: you encounter (a sprite of Sakaki) He sends out an Arboc.

The next time I tried, Sakaki in the US version send out himself, called '!'
    Unfortunatley the game froze before the battle started.

So, this is what happens if you try to trade/battle bewteen the US and JP versions of the games. No effects on the games afterwards though that I have seen.

omfx___harley

http://dragcave.ath.cx/user/18
    Years
  • omg you know how they all say missingno can't corrupt your game?

well, they're wrong!

i had 3 and after releasing 2 and saving/rebooting my game file was gone and its as corrupt as my gold and silver games:'(
    i'm ganna get a new red and gold soon though i saw them for 5 bucks at a used game place^_^

Years
    • Seen Oct 21, 2009
    By catching Missingno your save file will be deleted. I have heard you shouldn't try to catch it.

Carlu

Don't Get Mad, Get Carlu!
    Years
  • I had this strnge glitch in silver from when I used to mess with it on my exploder like a year ago. Nothing was strange at first but I found this glitchy load of repels so I used one, then 99 items appeared aout of nowhere and changed each time I usedor gained a repel. But the problem was that I needed a certain item but couldn't pick anyhting up due to my bag having millions of weird items in that I couldn't delete and I couldn't get enough repels to get the item to appear. Not sure whether I started a new game or not now :)

Years
    • Seen Oct 21, 2009
    I used a glitched I saw on the Internet. It's like the Mew Glitch but you have to do it before the first Gym. I tried it at Yellow Version and got a Nidoking at Lv. 1. When it leveled up it was at Lv. 100. I think it's right that the Lv. 100 gains more stats for their EV; I just let it fight a few battles, dumped it in the PC and suddenly all its stats rose by 3. Also, since this is an old game Pokémon get even more stats (I think)
    There was soemthing strange with this Lv.1-Pokémon-glitch though. When encountering Mew your start menu pops up. I don't remember if it did that this time when I found the Nidoking, but instead there was a text saying something like: "Hello! You got a Pikachuu with you?" The next time I tried, with Pikachuu not as no. 1 in party it said something about "there is no Pikachuu". I think there is only a text appearing in Yellow Version though. The glitch on the Internet was not the Pikachuu Edition.

destinedjagold

You can contact me in PC's discord server...
    Years
    • Seen Dec 23, 2023
    I have a glitch of a Mew in Red, Blue and Yellow and it really works.
    Honest!

Somehow, I don't think that its a glitch but its more like a cheat.
    That Mew, can be caught in Nugget Bridge in Level 7.

Years
    • Seen Oct 21, 2009
    I have a glitch of a Mew in Red, Blue and Yellow and it really works.
    Honest!

Somehow, I don't think that its a glitch but its more like a cheat.
    That Mew, can be caught in Nugget Bridge in Level 7.

I know. You can use the cheat in another place too. The cause of this glitch or cheat is that all Trainers in the old games (even youself when you start the game) will always be looking south. So when you walk until a Trainer is visible, it will be looking down, but may turn swiftly another way. If you walks in front of such a Trainer, as long as you walk the up, left or right side you have a chance to access the menu before the Trainer can challenge you (since he/she has to turn around). You can use an item or Pokémon to leave the place where the Trainer is. He/she will see you but has no time to reach you before you escape.
    One way to get Mew you have to do this with a gambler at the end of route(I don't remeber the name).
    Afterwards you cannot use any buttons but those used for walking around. You have to talk to someone, let them see you so that you can talk to them. In the Mew Glitch you have to let a Trainer efter Nugget Bridge challenge you. In the glicth about Lv.1 Nidoking, you have to let the man outside the city see you and lead you to the gym, then you have to battle a wild Pokémon.
    Depending on what Pokémon you encounter and what attacks you use, the glitched Pokémon spieces and Lv will change (at Nugget bridge I think its your or battled pokemon's Spec. stat that will affect this, I'm not sure). To encounter the glitch Pokémon, walk to the place where you escaped from that Trainer.

I also encountered a Lv. 7 Mew, but I will try to use Growl six times during the last battle, and maybe it will be a Lv.1 Mew (which will level up to Lv. 100)

Do you know if the Truck Cheat works? I know someone who said it did, but once you pushed the truck the wrong way you had to reset and start over. Which way to push the truck was different every time.

>Bent<

awhups
    Years
  • Any cheat involving the truck is completely false. The truck does nothing, ever.

And yes, the "Mew cheat" is a glitch and not a cheat, if we want to go into definitions...

AlexPriest

The Last of a Generation
    Years
  • Ah...the days of glitches everywhere, I ran into something one tiem really wierd in my blue version, i had just gotten surf and went south of Fuschia City to fight a swimmer, he had a Horsea and I had a Venusaur, well I used Razor Leaf and the Horsea's bar just kept depleting over and over...well after about 2 minutes it fainted and the battle was over, though I'm pretty sure he had more pokemon, I didn't think much of it so I started surfing south and fought a few normal tentacools. Everything seemed ok until I ran into a Mr. Mime. I fought it, caught it, and kept going. I was like awesome...til I ran into a swimmer that glitched up and froze my game...not sure what caused it. Just one of my memories of Blue Version that stands out the most.

icycatelf

Alex
    Years
  • A couple years ago I was playing my red version. I had just caught Mewtwo and I was on my way out of the cave. I got to a narrow pass between rocks and I realized that I had better save the game... I think that was it anyway (it's been quite a while). Well, after the menu closed, I was standing on top of the rocks instead of between them... I couldn't move. I turned the game on and off, but it was no good... It was saved on top of the rocks. I didn't have anything that could let me escape like Teleport or Dig... so I was practically forced to reset my game.

Last edited:

~Night

~!~Miss Cow~!~
    Years
  • I wonder if the Mew glitch can cause any harm to your game. I have caught a mew in green version, I trained it a little and then I hadn't played for awhile. When I started the game it said Fail Data something and the save file was gone. I do not think it was the mew glitch though, there was another reason.

The mew glitch doesn't harm your game in any way. Your game is probably just old.

It sad that Celebe is so hard to get. You need pkmn Crystal and connect it to a cell phone. Those who released the american version did not want this so it only works at the japanese version. Is there some other way, a glitch or something, to obtain Celebe?

I've heard that you spell out Celebi in unown letters in your party and go to the Celebi Shrine and Celebi will appear. Please correct me if I'm wrong.

By catching Missingno your save file will be deleted. I have heard you shouldn't try to catch it.

It doesn't always delet your save file. Sometimes it just makes your game glitchy when it is in your party.

Ah...the days of glitches everywhere, I ran into something one tiem really wierd in my blue version, i had just gotten surf and went south of Fuschia City to fight a swimmer, he had a Horsea and I had a Venusaur, well I used Razor Leaf and the Horsea's bar just kept depleting over and over...well after about 2 minutes it fainted and the battle was over, though I'm pretty sure he had more pokemon, I didn't think much of it so I started surfing south and fought a few normal tentacools. Everything seemed ok until I ran into a Mr. Mime. I fought it, caught it, and kept going. I was like awesome...til I ran into a swimmer that glitched up and froze my game...not sure what caused it. Just one of my memories of Blue Version that stands out the most.

Wait. You found a Mr. Mime in the middle of the water? If that happened to me, I'd just turn my game off right away! How far did you go down? Did you use a cheating device on your blue version at that time?

A couple years ago I was playing my red version. I had just caught Mewtwo and I was on my way out of the cave. I got to a narrow pass between rocks and I realized that I had better save the game... I think that was it anyway (it's been quite a while). Well, after the menu closed, I was standing on top of the rocks instead of between them... I couldn't move. I turned the game on and off, but it was no good... It was saved on top of the rocks. I didn't have anything that could let me escape like Teleport or Dig... so I was practically forced to reset my game.

That's why I always save after I get out of caves :D
    You couldn't move at all? You couldn't move in that spot at all? Not even just swirl around? If you could, then you couldv'e just done that until a pokemon appeared and all your pokemon fainted.
    Did the rocks join together or did your charactor appear on on of the rocks?
    Once I got stuck in seafoam islands in firered version, but then I realized that I had a paresect with dig, so I got out.

~!~Miss Cow~!~

Last edited:

AlexPriest

The Last of a Generation
    Years
  • The mew glitch doesn't harm your game in any way. Your game is probably just old.

I've heard that you spell out Celebi in unown letters in your party and go to the Celebi Shrine and Celebi will appear. Please correct me if I'm wrong.

It doesn't always delet your save file. Sometimes it just makes your game glitchy when it is in your party.

Wait. You found a Mr. Mime in the middle of the water? If that happened to me, I'd just turn my game off right away! How far did you go down? Did you use a cheating device on your blue version at that time?

That's why I always save after I get out of caves :D
    You couldn't move at all? You couldn't move in that spot at all? Not even just swirl around? If you could, then you couldv'e just done that until a pokemon appeared and all your pokemon fainted.
    Did the rocks join together or did your charactor appear on on of the rocks?
    Once I got stuck in seafoam islands in firered version, but then I realized that I had a paresect with dig, so I got out.

I think the Mr. Mime was about halfway down. I never used cheat device back then. I can think of no reason for what happened. I never could get it to happen again.

omfx___harley

http://dragcave.ath.cx/user/18
    Years
  • another thing on my old blue is that i once found a lv. 0 pikachu in the v. forest but when i try to catch, it says "you missed the pokemon!" and then my game freeze so i turned off and then i was stuck in the battle with this lv. 0 pikachu and i couldn't kill it because its hp kept going and even when it hit 0it was attacking me and it koed all my pokes (charmander, caterpie, ratatta, pidgey) and i was sent to the center but joy never healed my pokes so all my pokes was still dead and i was fighting with them and they were infinite hps until i saved and turned on then it said "JOBOB BLACKED OUT!" and sent me to the center where i last was so i went back to forest but there was no more lv. 0 pikachu. =(

SytheXP

Net Labs/UG Founder
    Years
  • Onr thing that happened to me was on red version(used) I had a mew and charizard both in the lvl 70s the charizard wouldnt listen to my comands. But anyway they had yet to obtain the celedon city badge or do any of the events so I got the badge and went to take out the rockets. When I got to the guy who drops the lift key It said i had a full inventory but I noticed the razorwind i believe is the TM on the other side and sucessfully got it no problem and then I tried to toss an item to get the lift key but for some odd reason I had the item POKEDEX in my bag and um it glitched up but also after I tried to start the game up again I couldnt exit up the stairs so I was stuck down there. I ended up having to reset my game.

Status
    Not open for further replies.
    Back