• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

4th Gen Official New Girl Thread - Opinions and Discussion

Your feelings?

• Yes

Votes: 276 49.4%
  • No

Votes: 77 13.8%
  • Ram her in the face!

Votes: 206 36.9%

• Total voters

Zelda

⍃⍍⍄ ⍃⍍⍄
    Years
    • Age 8
    • +
    • Seen Sep 15, 2020
    What I put in bold is sad. She is not an old character, try playing GS. Crystal has Kris instead of empty HEX values, although her sprite is in GS...?

I have played the game, just never got that far. Excuse me for not knowing though.

I am kind of getting used to the girl now, she seems to just be like any ordinary girl character except more unique in my opinion.

Mumei

Pokédork
    Years
    If you are referring to May's outfit compared to this one, then just keep in mind that Pokémon is not about style, it's about you playing the role of a character and traveling through a region overcoming problems and catching new Pokémon to become the Champion.
    Isn't that what this whole argument is about? Style?
    && I was more referring to Kris, but I haven't really seen a good picture of her in a while so I dunno.

Years
    I HAS A REVOLUTIONARY IDEA.
    Maybe people are getting annoyed at people b/c saying that you don't like the style of a character, while someone else does, is like insulting their fashion sense.

Seriously though, someone please tell me how skin-tight spandex shorts are more fashionable than overalls and knee socks.

I'm speaking for myself and myself alone when I say that is not the reason why I got upset. I shall use a quote that I have posted in another thread.

I never said you couldn't complain. I was just annoyed over the way people were doing it. Others were talking about it in threads that had nothing to do with the new girl. They kept repeating themselves, and didn't defend their points well enough in my opinion. There is a huge difference between:

"I HATE THE NEW GIRL SHE IS UGLY CRYSTAL IS WAY BETTER! WWAAHHH!"

~and~

"I would have preferred that Crystal was given an updated look instead of putting in an entirely new girl altogether. Personally, I'm not too fond of her clothing. I much would have preferred Crystal, because that is what I'm used to, and I feel as if it would have been more nostalgic."

The second example is still in a way complaining, however, it's doing it in a much better way, and doesn't make a person sound "spoiled."

But really, it's not like us people who have been complaining about the complaining were any better.

Instead of saying "get over it" in a mean way.

We could have said.

"I'm sorry you dislike the new girl, because of her clothing, or because she has replaced Kris. But, I liked playing as Kris in Crystal, too. However, I like the idea of a new girl, because it seems like a fresh idea. The original Gold and Silver versions didn't have a girl in those games at all. I think Nintendo was worried about putting Kris in because then people would expect the game to have elements from Crystal version. If it didn't, that might be considered as false advertising. I don't know for sure if that was the reason, it's just something to consider. Though the outfit may not be perfect on the new girl, I can point out some details I like about it. Thus, leading me to believe that this new girl is a pretty character. I like both Kris and the new girl equally. I am looking forward to getting this game."

If both parties have been mature in their explanations, people wouldn't have been so defensive with their arguments. I am one of those parties who should have understood that people have the right to complain and it's not my place to judge those who I do not know. I apologize deeply.

It's not my place to tell you what to do, and it's up to you whether or not you want to agree with me. Whether or not you like the new girl, it's your opinion and I shouldn't complain about it. I am sorry.

Personally, I like the new character as much as the original Kris. I'm looking forward to seeing the sprite in the remakes. I have made a DPP version sprite of her for my sig, seeing as this is how I think she would look.

Zelda

⍃⍍⍄ ⍃⍍⍄
    Years
    • Age 8
    • +
    • Seen Sep 15, 2020
    Isn't that what this whole argument is about? Style?
    && I was more referring to Kris, but I haven't really seen a good picture of her in a while so I dunno.

I am pretty sure it is about the style.

I must say I think they could've made her socks a bit shorter but I am getting used to it. The hat and everything else I have no problem with.

Artemis

i'm no goddess
    Years
    • Seen Dec 10, 2013
    Yeah, I mean right now all we can do is judge by her appearance, but when more news is given out about her/Gold's supporting role, then some people may change their thoughts on her.

Artemis

i'm no goddess
    Years
    • Seen Dec 10, 2013
    Of course she'll look better, I mean what bassface used was the old GS graphics, but the new games will have the DPPt graphics.

Years
    • Seen Feb 26, 2011
    I absolutley dispise her with a firery passion! I dont care that Crystal was created in Crystal, SHE IS GENERATION 2'S FEMALE CHARACTER! They had no right to replace her!

OMG yes! I totally agree with you. Besides, while this new girls might be cool as an assisting character, I don't really like her look. Needless to say, I won't be picking her as my character.

fenyx4

HOENN CONFIRMED!
    Years
    Done. :)

Spoiler:

I had to give her a more conventional-looking backpack, though, because the bag she's carrying is a little too difficult to draw clearly on a tiny, 16x16, 3-color character sprite.

I based the overworld sprites on Gold's and Crystal's sprites, and based the back picture slightly on Crystal's back picture, but the trainer card picture was drawn completely from scratch. (I think I could have made the hat a little bigger, though.)

I'm really getting to like her, too. I think she would have looked great alongside Gold back in the original Gold version.

Awesome GSC sprites! They just make the already-cute Soul even cuter! :3 Can't wait to see her HG/SS ones! (Man...how far we've come in technology and graphics since GSC days!)

Last edited:
    Years
    • Seen Oct 22, 2016
    The socks are just horrible. Kneesocks only belong on redheads and similarly curvy girls.

Years
    The socks are just horrible. Kneesocks only belong on redheads and similarly curvy girls.

(I'm a red head, and I don't even wear knee socks. lol Why do knee socks only belong on red heads? Do you mean they only look good on red heads? I don't wear knee socks. (I don't even wear socks unless it's with sneakers or boots.) I'm not sure what you are saying with that post. Sorry for asking so many questions.)

I would prefer if the new girl's shoes were black instead of red. Or if the black part on the knee highs were red or not there at all. Better yet, I'd remove the socks and sneakers and give her Gold's sneakers.

Years
    • Seen Oct 27, 2010
    Do you think her back sprite/ OW sprite will look better than the drawing? I hope so. (come on, I don't REALLY want to cross dress as the boy...)
    They always do. I just wish I could see some screens of her moving, at least. All we ever see is Gold D: And as much as I adore him, I wants me some Heart OW action.

My only fear about her is that her 'supporting' role in the games will be that of a pushover like the other NPC players who follow you around (Damnit Lucas, get out of the way! I'm trying to challenge a gym here D:<) and she'll only garner even more disdain from the Crystal purists.

Akira Uchiha

Akatsuki Shinobi! ^^
    Years
    LOL, when did that happen? Lucas blocking a gym? Oh well... I REALLY hope she looks better than her artwork though, otherwise I will be even MORE inclined to play as Gold and hate Heart... which I don't really want to do cause she's new and I'm trying to give her a chance, but its just hard to get past the looks. -.-

LOL, Crystal purists? XD. I'm assuming you like her, from your signature? ^^

Edit: By "her" I mean the new girl.

Last edited:
    Years
    I kinda like Heart...
    Her hat, bag, and pokegear remind me of the decora style.

I wish the colors were a little bit more vibrant. Blue and red are a little plain to me.

but I still miss Kris.

Last edited:
    Years
    I hated her at 1st but I learned to deal with it she's not half bad but I still have more love for Kris

PS. Her name better be Heart so the boy could be named Soul.

Years
    • Age 37
    • Seen today
    I don' get why people are complaing about the new girl
    Its just a design
    Complaining is awesome. :D

But seriously, some people are just into the way someone/something looks than other people. Everyone has their own opinion on how much they like the way a drawing looks. Some people are totally in love with the new girl's design; some people are neutral to her (they like some parts of her, but not others) and wait to see more about her; some people just think she looks awful and so they don't like her. It's just the way people work, and people really should respect that more. It'll cut back on the amount of borderline flaming (and even actual flaming!) that has been in this thread.

Anyhow, the new girl is growing on me the more I see her. Her hat still takes a little more time for me to get used to it, but her overall design amuses me right now. Reminds me of Mario, and I've seen some funny fanart of that. XD

Artemis

i'm no goddess
    Years
    • Seen Dec 10, 2013
    How many new fan drawing of this girl do they have, and where is most people getting them? I've seen some nice banners with the new female, and it makes me like her even more.

Back