• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

1st Gen Okay, I have to ask. Anyone else playin' since '97?

Weber

Thats Farfetch'd
Years
    • Seen Oct 29, 2013
    i've been playing since the beginning, stopped for a while before emerald came out and then got back into 6 months after platinum came out, and i still love the series and can see myself still playing for many years to come.

(also picked up emerald and fire red later on)

Years
  • I first touched my brother's Yellow version back in like 1999 or so when I had no idea what Pokemon even was, because all I did when i touched it was just move Red around with the controls xD and got confused why the colors changed ;;

It wasnt until 2001 that I touched Gold version, officially as mine (and not my brother's)!, and he and I started our journeys at the same exact time.. he had Silver while I had Gold, and from then, I began to play the games as a regular.

~*!*~Tatsujin Gosuto~*!*~

Buffalo State College
    Years
  • For the U.S people that said that they played an American copy of these two games in 1997 is lying because it came out in 1998 of September.

Anyways, I've been playing the games since the beginning and until this day, I am still a hardcore fan.

:t354:TG

Years
  • Same here, I got Red right when It came out with my Gameboy Color, and the world was changed. Had every incarnation of the Pokemon franchise and every Gameboy incarnation since.

Years
    • Seen Sep 30, 2013
    Heck yes

Yes! I was in 4th grade when the my older brother got Red and then we started collecting the cards (which I still have!). I would play his until one year I got a gameboy pocket and Yellow for christmas. After a few years though I sold my gameboy and games to buy a playstation 2, what a waste! Then in highschool I bought a gameboy color and pokemon red off ebay and me and my best friend who had Blue were determined to catch them all! We got one away then he accidently evolved his Omanyte before trading first...Big mistake. In retaliation I "accidently" evolved my Kabuto without trading so neither one of use could complete our pokedex. 5 years later I find yellow on ebay and decide to finish my pokedex. Let me tell you it feels good! Now I just need a gameboy printer to print my certificate, frame it, and put it on the wall next to my diplomas!

So in short. Yes, I am married with a daughter and I still play pokemon Red and Yellow on my Gameboy Color and it brings me much joy!

I never played any other generations though. Maybe I will now that my pokedex is full. Any suggestions? How are Gold and Silver?

Houndoomed

Battle Master
    Years
  • Yes! I was in 4th grade when the my older brother got Red and then we started collecting the cards (which I still have!). I would play his until one year I got a gameboy pocket and Yellow for christmas. After a few years though I sold my gameboy and games to buy a playstation 2, what a waste! Then in highschool I bought a gameboy color and pokemon red off ebay and me and my best friend who had Blue were determined to catch them all! We got one away then he accidently evolved his Omanyte before trading first...Big mistake. In retaliation I "accidently" evolved my Kabuto without trading so neither one of use could complete our pokedex. 5 years later I find yellow on ebay and decide to finish my pokedex. Let me tell you it feels good! Now I just need a gameboy printer to print my certificate, frame it, and put it on the wall next to my diplomas!

So in short. Yes, I am married with a daughter and I still play pokemon Red and Yellow on my Gameboy Color and it brings me much joy!

I never played any other generations though. Maybe I will now that my pokedex is full. Any suggestions? How are Gold and Silver?

Sounds just like my story, but if you like that play Fire red on GBA or DSlite and it will blow your mind.

Zeus

Last edited:
    Years
    • Seen Aug 25, 2014
    At the time it was released, I initially didn't like Pokemon because my sister thought they looked stupid (I was a follower), then she caught on to it and I followed it too. Since then, I became a Poke-addict, then I quit playing right around the time the 3rd Gen was going to be released because I thought it was associated with Satanism.

Years later, once my senses became clear, I saw my sister playing Platinum and I wanted to beat her in a Pokemon battle, so I got HG/SS and I've returned to my fandom of the franchise. :D

SyngthaSuyeon

Specialty: Rare types & UU/NU
    Years
  • I used to have all 3 of the first gen when they first came out. Lost Blue when I lost my purple Gameboy color, but to this day, I still have Red and Yellow, Gold, Crystal (Gold and Crystal's batteries are dead tho), Sapphire (I think the battery is dead for that one too), I think I still have Snap, and Stadium 2. Since I - to this day - have never gotten a DS/DSi/3DS, all my games are played via emulator. I liked the remakes of GSCRBG, meh about DPPt, and ♥ BW.

Years
    • Seen Sep 30, 2013
    I guess sometime around '97, a little more maybe. My first game was Pokemon Blue, which I got it from my cousin who finished it first. Yellow, Gold, Silver, etc proceeded. Great years.

Meganium

[i]memento mori[/i]
    Years
  • Been playing since 98, actually. My first game was Red, and I still adore that game ever since. Then it was Silver, Gold, and so on. :3

Mr Cat Dog

Frasier says it best
    Years
  • I've been playing since Red and Blue came out in the UK, which I believe was 1998. I can even remember my parents buying one copy of each for my brother and I, which is unusual as I normally can't remember what I had for breakfast this morning! (Although I think I was being a petulant 8-year-old and acting with seething jealousy that my brother was going to have Pokemon as well as me. That's probably why it's stuck with me.)

Years
  • Hmmm, I could have sworn it came out earlier than that... but if it was in '97 then yup, I'm with you on that. I'm 22 right now and have played pokemon since it first came out. I'll never forget my Pokemon Red Version... I remember I had a problem if you saved the game where you cut a tree and turned it off then turned it on, you sometimes were stuck in that spot because the tree grew back... And I think it was also in Pokemon Red where if you use cut in front of grass, it would cut a small square of grass...

Houndoomed

Battle Master
    Years
  • Hmmm, I could have sworn it came out earlier than that... but if it was in '97 then yup, I'm with you on that. I'm 22 right now and have played pokemon since it first came out. I'll never forget my Pokemon Red Version... I remember I had a problem if you saved the game where you cut a tree and turned it off then turned it on, you sometimes were stuck in that spot because the tree grew back... And I think it was also in Pokemon Red where if you use cut in front of grass, it would cut a small square of grass...

That all brings back fond memories of my blue game, also surfing up and down the right coast of cinnibar after a cup of coffee wink wink.....XP

Good times, strong pokemon.

Zeus

Razer302

Three Days Grace - Break
    Years
  • I got red for Christmas the first year it came out. Since then I have bought every single pokemon game and I don't regret any of them. All of the games are great and now I play hacks and things making the game even more fun.

Years
    • Seen Sep 11, 2021
    Got pokemon red for my Birthday in 98, and I never looked back! I was turning 7 years old were the good ol days go?

Back