• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

2nd Gen Old games are better?!?

Smarties-chan

Should've had that name change
    Years
    • Age 22
    • Seen Sep 12, 2015
    Gold Tom, do not bypass the censor. There's a reason for why certain words are censored and you should refrain from using such words on the forums altogether.

Harper

Crazy guy with red hair...
    Years
    • Seen Nov 14, 2009
    I think the old ones were better... i dunno why. they made me feel better while i was playing them. it's like going home to the place you grew up in. But i have to say, i really love leaf green and fire red. firstly because they are basicaly blue and red but with better graphix and easier to play, which makes me feel like i'm laying the old ones again. but on the other hand leaf green is so easy to play, maybe it's just that i've finshed it and all i do is lvl them up but lvling up is a hell of a lot easier. i meen i can get a pokemon to lvl 90 easily. it's not hard like it was before... even ruby and saph were harder to lvl up on.
    i'v got like 18 pokemon on lvl 90 and another 5 on their way.

I really think the originals were better, but i just cant play them anymore. the bag is hard to use, the combat is badly done etc... i dont even know why i like them... i just do! :)

Me2UJus4Free

It's peanut butter jelly time!
    Years
    I think they are harder than the newer versions, but then that might just be me. :D

That because you played Blue back when you were ten. All games seemed hard when your a kid.

The new games have more bad graphics, if you compare to the release year. Especially those on GC. My first and favorite pm-game is Silver. One of the reasons I like it is the large world map. The Pokemon sprites are ugly though, they look so fat and cute. The G/R/B/Y sprites are better.
    I play the new games more though, since few people have the old onces and you cannot link old with new.

Please let this be a parody. There is no way someone would think 8-bit graphics look better than 16-bit.

Npo, I don't think the old games where better. They where unbelieveably easy, and there wasn't much to do after you beat the Elite Four in R/B/Y. The Kanto regin in G/S/C was not even that fun. I don't even remember what happened in that regin. It was very forgetable.

Harper

Years
    • Seen Nov 14, 2009
    I DUNNO MAYBE THEY ARNT BETTER... BUT THEY STILL GIVE ME A TRIP DOWN MEMORY LANE... AND I PREFER LEAF GREEN TO THE OTHER PKMN GAMES FOR A REASON, COS IT REMINDS ME OF OLD TIMES.

Years
    • Seen Oct 21, 2009
    Please let this be a parody. There is no way someone would think 8-bit graphics look better than 16-bit.

I said compared to th erelease year. Also compared to the console. The Stadium games looks better than Colloseum, since its N64 graphics. Colloseum is not GC graphics (was supposed to be released to N64 in the first place anyway).

I think the old games are harder. I played LeafGreen and there is a Rocket that has a very strong Pokemon in Green version. They've changed his Pokemon to weak ones and now he's easy.

Years
    • Seen Oct 21, 2009
    They also feel somewhat more serious. The battle music is not so speedy and "happy", it's more "serious battle"-music. I would like to hear that in the new games, but the closest is FR/LG. Whenever I play Green verison it feels like the main character is a Trainer that alone (with his Pokemon) will have to take on a lot of tough Trainers and his confident rival. In the new games the main character is surroundedby a lot of friends that encourage you and everything feels much lighter and easier. Even your rivals are friendly.

Anti

return of the king
    Years
    Since I'm into the whole competitive battling thing, the new games are better, since they have more moves and pokemon. D/P took a step back from ADV though IMO...pokemon had more charm in the older games, that's for sure. We were all new to it, so of course we all think those are the best. Ruby was my 1st PKMN game, and remains my favorite, probably because of that. We could then argue we all have biased opinions based on that...

ShadowTails

I'm working on a better Avatar
    Years
    • Age 32
    • Seen Mar 7, 2015
    I say the old games because they had a better plot then the new games.

o.o Excuse me? better plot my foot... it's the same exact thing each time "Team _____ is trying to accomplish _____ and you have to stop them, along the way beat the Gym Leaders and the Elite Four." I don't call that better than "Team Galatica is trying to accomplish taking over time/space and you have to stop them, along the way beat the Gym Leaders and the Eliete Four." It's the same exact thing in RYB/GSC, but in GSC you get a watered down Kanto and Pokemon that are way below level in the wild...

Years
    • Seen Oct 21, 2009
    Yes, it's the same plot in all the games, but it was new in the old ones. That's why it was better in the old games, because then the plot was new. They should have changed it in the other games released after. In G/R/B it was original, now, it's not any more.

Anti

return of the king
    Years
    Yes, it's the same plot in all the games, but it was new in the old ones. That's why it was better in the old games, because then the plot was new. They should have changed it in the other games released after. In G/R/B it was original, now, it's not any more.

IT was still a suckt plot...I was about 8 years old and I predicted that, and thought it was "lame" lol...

Tamaki

☆ Puh puh puh poker face ☆
    Years
    i prefer the newer games, only because they have better graphics, and im HUGE on good graphics

Improfane

hiatus
    Years
    • Seen May 24, 2010
    Me2UJus4Free (and you ShadowTails), you cannot refute the opinion that old school games are preferred by fans. It's like person A and B go on two rides together. Person B prefers one ride and tries to tell person A it is better. You are person B and you are wrong.
    The older games are harder because there's no help menu built in game.
    You can't rematch trainers. You don't always know what to do.

The newer games are technically superior but the old games have well designed Pokemon, storyline and are always memorable.
    Me2UJus4Free said:
    Yes. I can. I don't really like the Pokemon in Pearl/Diamond. If I can play without them, in a game without bad Pokemon, I'll think that game (and its associated graphics) as better.

You're saying that if you put two pictures beside eachother - a RBY/GSC Charmander and compare it to a D/P Charmander. The D/P Charmander will look better. That is obvious. That is a technical superiority! You're comparing the graphics alone next to eachother. I don't play games only for graphics ;)

Ruby/Sapphire Pokemon were pushing it for me but Diamond and Pearl is just a joke.

Me2UJus4Free, you are way to hostile. Just accept that someone (fortunately) thinks different to you :)

Last edited:

Anti

return of the king
    Years
    Me2UJus4Free (and you ShadowTails), you cannot refute the opinion that old school games are preferred by fans. It's like person A and B go on two rides together. Person B prefers one ride and tries to tell person A it is better. You are person B and you are wrong.
    The older games are harder because there's no help menu built in game.
    You can't rematch trainers. You don't always know what to do.

The newer games are technically superior but the old games have well designed Pokemon, storyline and are always memorable.

Yes. I can. I don't really like the Pokemon in Pearl/Diamond. If I can play without them, in a game without bad Pokemon, I'll think that game (and its associated graphics) as better.

You're saying that if you put two pictures beside eachother - a RBY/GSC Charmander and compare it to a D/P Charmander. The D/P Charmander will look better. That is obvious. That is a technical superiority! You're comparing the graphics alone next to eachother. I don't play games only for graphics ;)

Ruby/Sapphire Pokemon were pushing it for me but Diamond and Pearl is just a joke.

Me2UJus4Free, you are way to hostile. Just accept that someone (fortunately) thinks different to you :)

I agree that D/P is a joke. the graphics continue to improve...ironically, the pokemon designs keep plummeting. Just look at happiny, or magmortar. I could've drawn something better than that!

TB Pro

Old-timer
    Years
    seriosly.I have drawn something better than that and i'm 13!They need to take time to design the pokemon like they did back in toe old games.but other than that I like the new games better.....kinda.

Harper

Years
    • Seen Nov 14, 2009
    Yeh, ive noticed some of the newer pokemon were... ugly
    they just looked to unreal. i rekon they went in a downward spiral after G/S/C. those were the last of the good pkmn...

Years
    • Seen Oct 21, 2009
    i prefer the newer games, only because they have better graphics, and im HUGE on good graphics

I you think the Pokemon graphics are good you haven't played many other RPGs. And if you still think the graphics are good, I would like to know what makes you like them. I've heard many people say the graphics in Pocket Monsters are bad.
    I should not complain too much on the field graphics, but the battle graphics are the worst.

Back