• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

Old or New Series?

Which Generation of the Anime did you like

• Total voters

Ársa

k.
    Years
    Do you rather the old or new series of pokemon anime? Perhaps I should split them.

1st -> 4th = Old
    5th -> Current = New

I personally prefered the older ones, I think they were created much better, and more thought was put into them. I also find I like the older graphics for some reason, and the new voice really piss me off... >_>

How about you?

~T_S

Ársa

k.
    Years
    I suppose, but I like the limited amount of pokemon. One of my Fave eps. was Ash vs that dude in Vermillion with the Sandshrew, that we really cool.

Another reason I liked the older ones, the gym battles were far more intense. These ones are stupid, and I wish we could have the move "Dodge It!" in the games, you could win all the time! o.0

~T_S

Katsu Koneko

明日がある
    Years
    Older Series + Diamond and Pearl for me. :3 So I guess both.

Diamond and Pearl is just so awesome~ X3 The unexpectedness woot~

Though I don't like the new voices. I watch DP in Japanese. :3

Isom

Kari Byron is still my lady.
    Years
    Yeah, I would always watch the shows and when Ash yells [insert name of Pokemon here] dodge it then use [insert name of move here] I would ask why can't it be so simple in the game.

Yeah I was content with the orginal 151, it seems like they make 400 new ones every year. It's hard to memorize all of 'em.

Olz.

The Magic Auroa
    Years
    I like the old! When the voices didn't change :( They sounds horrible now.

Ársa

k.
    Years
    I far enjoyed the older anime, and I actually only saw about 1/4 of the GSC series, as it didn't air where I lived at the time, and I had to get my Grandad to tape them and send them to me, but the program skipped quite a few, and kept replaying some, so I told him to forget it...

~T_S

Tonya

Brilliant Loser
    Years
    There were a few of the older episodes I quite enjoyed (the Sabrina arc, the episode with A.J. and his Sandshrew as someone mentioned earlier, the Bridge Bike Gang, stuff like that), but I really like a lot of the Diamond and Pearl episodes as well (I haven't seen any of the Hoenn episodes).

Sanctuary

Member #11,352
    Years
    I definately like some aspects of the old version, especially the voices and mainly the originality of the episodes, in comparison, I thought that D/P episodes were certainly a bit repetitive from old episodes. ;O

Although the new ones.. there is just a reason why I like it better. Strange, but I just do. For no reason I can really state. >:

Commander_Latios

The man of Eternal Boredom...
    Years
    i liked the old one better. I also agree with the whole battle system thing, in the games it's just based too much on luck (whther you hit or miss, what damage it does, critical hits, etc.) and it's really too confusing.

I really didn't like the battle frontier (except for one episode which i will get to in a minute) because of three reasons.

A) Ash sucked up to Scott, thus reducing the amount of work he had to do, by getting to skip both the silver symbol set AND cutting straight to the brains every time instead of going through the facilities the right way. It kind of defeats the whole purpose of these big buildings if Ash gets to skip straight to the boss fight.

B) it was just too widespread, the battle frontier is supposed to be on one island and easy to get from one place to another, not spread throughout the whole of kanto like a chain of cheap amusment parks.

C) The frontier brains, with the exception of Brandon, sucked compared to their game forms. For example, where was tucker's latias, anabel's latios, spenser's suicune, shall I go on? The only good one was brandon, who still wielded the regis at Ash.

The one exception to the "I hate battle frontier" was the time Ash got possesed by that evil spirit. He knew how to play dirty. REALLY dirty. That episode was awesome.

Crystal Clair

Shinji lover
    Years
    Diamond and Pearl
    I'm starting to get this weird reverse nostalgia. It's like I remember the older seasons but in a way, I'm glad they're gone. I guess my love of Shinji and Pokemon DP (raw only) made me get a little too used to the current seasons (10 and 11).

I do like watching Johto episodes when I want to go back because they're not back too far. But I just feel funny watching Kanto, a sad kind of feeling.

I actually used to prefer the old animation but I've gotten so used to the new digital coloring. My eyes adjusted only when Pokemon DP began and the colors got more dark and rich (according to Dogasu from Bulbagarden, it isn't a richening of the pallette, it has to do with Pokemon being aired on a terrestrial station or something). Of course some character will only look like theirselves if they're in the old coloring (Cassidy, Butch, Misty and Kenji come to mind. Some characters kinda improved (James, Jessie, Ash, Pikachu)

Fortunately, I left the dub once PUSA took over (despite totally loving Sara Natochenny in the first two episodes). I just fell in love with the raw. Pokemon was itself, and it felt more natural and normal. With the dub, it feels kinda "OMG TOTALLY HIP!"

Tendoman77

Formerly known as "Da Man"
    Years
    • Seen Jun 6, 2024
    I never saw the D/P episodes and heard the new voices yet. What do they sound like?

BeachBoy

S P A R K of madness
    Years
    Do you rather the old or new series of pokemon anime? Perhaps I should split them.

1st -> 4th = Old
    5th -> Current = New

I personally prefered the older ones, I think they were created much better, and more thought was put into them. I also find I like the older graphics for some reason, and the new voice really piss me off... >_>

How about you?

~T_S

Old school bro, I completely agree with you, I loved the first ones, detail, some intense, this morning I watched an episode, and honestly it was as predictable as ever, though they've gotten better at missing things up, there was just so much fun in the older ones in my eyes, so Im going with old school...

Crystal Clair

Shinji lover
    Years
    Oh, one thing. I'd think that the old series would be any episode pertaining to the Pocket Monsters title in Japan. From the end of the fifth season (judging seasons by openings, not by episode count here), it would be considered Pocket Monsters Advance Generation and then Pocket Monsters Diamond and Pearl. I dont know where the original poster got his numbers from, as they dont make any sense to me whatsoever
    (excuse my fancy words, I'm writing an essay about how the the Pokemon anime fandom complains about certain things and big words are replacing small words in my essay mode)

Jessie

Don't forget to be awesome.
    Years
    The older series was so much better. All the advanced episodes just sucked for me. May was way too whiney and her brother was annoying. I like D/P though...not as much as the original obviously, but it's still good.

Ronin

Lazlo Woodbine’s apprentice
    Years

Same. The only reason I watch he new ones is because I'm addicted to pokemon

Back