• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

Old or New Series?

Which Generation of the Anime did you like

• Total voters

Jorah

What do I put here?
    Years
    • Age 33
    • UK
    • Seen Aug 18, 2021
    I feel sorry for people who refuse to watch DP because of the new voices, its really good.

I think 1-5 counts as "old" Pokemon, seeing as 5 is in the Pocket Monsters series, not Advance Generation. Anyway, I like the 1st and 2nd out of the old series best. Master Quest is alright with the Gyarados/Larvitar story and there are good episodes through Johto dotted around. But other than that, Johto wasn't very well written. If it was, why did the same filler episode play throughout the whole thing? ____ needs help. Lets help them. Oh noes, Team Rocket, yay helped them...this is basically most filler episodes. I'm not saying it doesn't happen anywhere else but it happened most in Johto, you can't argue about that. And the "climax" was always Team Rocket. Again, not saying it doesn't happen anywhere else...I'm went mad trying to watch Johto League Champions, seriously. But there were some other problems like the GS Ball and both Misty and Brock doing next to nothing most of the time. At least with AG and DP its not only Ash. I like DP much better than AG, anyway.

But I like old and new, so I vote both

I never saw the D/P episodes and heard the new voices yet. What do they sound like?

Here's DP051 Part 1, see for yourself. Its honestly not as bad as what everyone else makes out to be. If anything, Ash's voice is less annoying than his old voice. You don't want to shove a cough sweet down his throat anymore

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5btTn49OAkY

Years
    • Seen Feb 9, 2008
    The old episodes definatly! !! I think the new ones suck! And the voises.... they creap me out 0_o

Tater Tot

I used to be popular here~
    Years
    • Age 16
    • Seen Jan 15, 2017
    Surely Old series, the old series episodes were so awesome, the new series have the new voices, which I hate.

Years
    I'll go with Jorah's observation, but for me, it's also the writing. AG-onward had more... effort in the writing process, and D/P is the best of the lot (so far). That and with the recent acknowledgements of Western writing (the original Galactic cameo), I have to take notice.

Although, OI had decent writing, because of the freshness of the concept. However, it wasn't as good with AG and D/P.

Years
    • Seen Apr 7, 2011
    This Is alittle off topic but why would they change the voices? The new ones suck....
    I do like the old show better it grew on me as a kid and when AG started i didnt get into it...D/P alright it is repetitive and Dawn is annoying. In the Older generation it seemed like Ash was the most important and stayed like that Brock and Misty were just side-kicks. It seems that in D/P Dawn is really important to the series.

nakoma

gothic pokemon person
    Years
    I like the old serise better because it was less watered down and not so kiddy. people got hit alot more, brock hitting on officer jenny and nurse joy, its just funnier in genral. also it had the original voice cast some of those voice actors i've had the pleasure of talking with. i just find the quality of the show has diminished since it stopped pulling in the ratings. so yea my verdict seasons 1-5 good right up till misty left after that only a few good things came into play like contests and some more impressive battles. though i find d/p to be going back to the orignal. they have the old jokes back in and such so maybe d/p is worth counting in the good seasons.

Shiny

content creator on twitch
    Years
    Well I haven't watched any episodes of D/P but in the older series, only Ash battled, on the odd occasion (Once a series 8P) Brock or Misty would battle instead

Katsu Koneko

明日がある
    Years
    This Is alittle off topic but why would they change the voices? The new ones suck....
    I do like the old show better it grew on me as a kid and when AG started i didnt get into it...D/P alright it is repetitive and Dawn is annoying. In the Older generation it seemed like Ash was the most important and stayed like that Brock and Misty were just side-kicks. It seems that in D/P Dawn is really important to the series.

Because Pokemon USA has the license to it now.

How is D/P repetitive may I ask?

Um...isn't Dawn being as important as Ash, and not being in the sidelines, a good thing?

Sweet Candace

So Awesome! /)^ɛ^(\
    Years
    I like it beacuse we have a main character who won't be overshowed by Ash [By that, I mean Dawn]. Dawn isn't annoying, she's awesome. Everyone who says she is, is jealous that Pokemon isn't afraid to make a main character like Ash

kasumi_chan_x

Nevermore
    Years
    Old School all the way.
    Kanto (season one) gives me nostaglica. It actaully gives off a happy and a sad feeling. Sad in that I miss the old' three (just ash, brock, and misty) it was all good. Just the original 150 were I could name them all...ahhh.

well things happen, and you have to keep the show fresh. Plus animation seemed to improve a crap load in 8 years haha. ^__^

|D

Rai

Quarter Life Crisis! @.@
    Years
    Frankly, I like the old series by far. I honestly can't stand the new series =\ No offense to those who do.

GKS

Retired Hacker
    Years
    • Seen Dec 23, 2013
    I really liked the old version, but I like both of them actually. It seems kind of boring at the latest, it is not funny like before. The introduction of a new Pokemon and Ash saying how strong it is i pretty annoying. It is also not realistic how Team Rocket's balloon blows up when a small Pokemon hits it. Plus how does Team Rocket's Pokemon lose just by one not effective hit, especially by a pokemon that join one of their group the same day. The new episodes really really starting to get boring. I am still happy they make Pokemon though, even if it is a little boring.

Charchic

The 3rd Member of the Elite 4
    Years
    Haha. The old series was good, but then I don't watch the new ones. If I go to my little cousins and he has it on the voices of the people annoy me. And it is annoying the way he always defeats Team Rocket! WHY CAN'T TEAM ROCKET WIN! PLEASE! JUST STEAL ONE OF ASH'S POKEMON AND GET AWAY WITH IT!

Years
    • they/them
    • Seen Apr 19, 2024
    Both the new and old versions were totally unrealistic and immature. But the old one at least didn't have a shining white light for every single attack that was made, and whirly eyes at all times when pokémon got "unable to fight".

Jorah

What do I put here?
    Years
    • Age 33
    • UK
    • Seen Aug 18, 2021
    Both the new and old versions were totally unrealistic and immature. But the old one at least didn't have a shining white light for every single attack that was made, and whirly eyes at all times when pokémon got "unable to fight".

When DIDN'T they use the swirly eyes when a Pokemon fainted? o.O "shiny white light" for Thunderbolt? Wha?

Back