• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

Old? Or New?

Phantom1

[css-div="font-size: 12px; font-variant: small-cap
Years
  • This is surely to waste at least 30 seconds of your life. Ready? GO!

You are thirsty. You go to the nearest vending machine to look for a drink, noticing all drinks only cost one dollar. As you browse you notice you have two dollars (or whatever currency) in your wallet/pocket whatever. One dollar is nice and crisp and new, the other is faded, old, and all wrinkled, but would is probably still good enough to be accepted by the machine. Which one would you use? The new one? Or the old one?

I seriously know people who would choose one or the other, for example, someone choosing the new dollar might think the old one might get rejected by the machine. Someone might choose the old one for the machine because the new one is all nice and clean looking and looks better for their wallet. Other people might just not care.

PlatinumDude

Nyeh?
    Years
  • I'd use the new dollar because it can easily get accepted by the vending machine. If I used the older one, then it might take some time before I get my drink.

Alice

(>^.(>0.0)>
    Years
  • I would naturally go for the old one, because I would want the nice one. I wouldn't really care one way or the other if it rejected the old one though.

Elite Overlord LeSabre™

On that 'Non stop road'
    Years
  • New. I have an appreciation for the classics. And I tend to rage when vending machines spit my money back at me, so I take no chances when it comes to those overly fussy machines.

curiousnathan

Starry-eyed
    Years
  • Old, I hate wrinkled notes. (I don't live in America) so one dollar comes in coins. xD; nevertheless, out with the old, in with the new.

Years
    • Seen Sep 18, 2020
    If the old note actually looks battered beyond non-human recognition, or if it's torn anywhere, I obviously won't use it; otherwise I don't care.

Shining Raichu

Expect me like you expect Jesus.
    Years
  • Oh this dilemma happens to me all the time. I work retail, so when I'm at the registers I always give people the old/crinkled/faded notes first and save the nice ones because they look cleaner and neater in the register. If somebody asks me to change a $50 note into two 20s and a 10, I make sure I pick out the worst ones I can possibly find because I hate when people do that (it's a liquor store not a bank!) and I don't want to encourage this sort of behaviour with pretty notes.

Ayselipera

Ummm I would literally just grab either dollar without thinking and shove it in the machine. I'm not going to carry either of those dollars on me for the rest of my life so whether one leaves now or later doesn't really matter to me nor do I even think about it.

-Jared-

Certified Responsible Adult
    Years
  • I use whichever one is easier to grab from my wallet or pocket. >__> If I can easily grab either, I would use the new one since I want to get my drink quicker and not spend time making the old bill work with the machine.

Ho-Oh

used Sacred Fire!
    Years
    • Seen Jul 1, 2023
    New, since chances are the old one will need to be put in my coin collection in the future (in other words whenever I get around to it). However I wouldn't use the vending machine anyway, so!

Years
  • If I'm in a rush or people are waiting behind me, it'd be the first coin that I find, however given the time, I'd try the old coin, if it rejected and dropped through, go with the new on the next try.

Maka Chop

【・ヘ・?】
    Years
    • Seen Aug 28, 2013
    Probably the new one, just to make sure that the machine would accept it.

Years
  • For me, it depends on the age of the machine (newer machines are less fickle about wrinkled dollars) and how much of a hurry I'm in. On older machines, I'd use the new dollar, while on newer ones, I'd use the wrinkled dollar first. Though, above all, I vastly prefer to use quarters in vending machines.

Briar

how do you make coffee sexy?
    Years
  • i would use the old one and keep the new one -- and never use it (i'd probably just add it to my collection of nice bills or something :-P).

Years
  • I'd use whichever I grabbed first. It would be a case of me rummaging through my stuff looking for a dollar as quickly as possible and then stuffing it in the machine. I've never had my money rejected.

oocyst

SOFTware
    Years
  • I'd probably go for the new one as it would fit more easily. I don't have this problem with euros cause its all coins! I dont look at the state of coins when I spend them.

Mr Cat Dog

Frasier says it best
    Years
  • I'd never use a note in a vending machine, as the smallest denomination would be £5, which is waaaaaaaay too much for a Coke or a Twix or something. But, in the interest of not being a douche for the purposes of the question, I honestly wouldn't care. I'd put the first note I could find in, and hope for the best. I try not to have too much cash on me in any event, so I have no real attachment to new or old money.

Back