• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

Older people: Have you become less into Pokemon?

FreakyLocz14

Conservative Patriot
    Years
    • Seen Aug 29, 2018
    Like when I was a kid I watched the anime, collected the trading cards, played with Pokemon toys, etc.

Now that I'm older I haven't stopped loving Pokemon but I have matured in it. Now I'm into competitive battling, ROM hacking, and enjoying the main series games.
    I've stopped watching the anime though I'll watch if I catch it channel surfing. I don't even know what became of my TCG cards.

Last edited:

Kendall

Fool of a Took
    Years
    I seem to go through an in-and-out phase. Though my last "out phase" was a few years, I'm heavily back into it now. And yes when I was younger I was much more naive and wasn't aware of the more serious factors in gameplay/battling. I started watching the anime from the first episode and I am currently in Hoenn. I am also into the Adventures Manga now, which is something I wasn't into before.

FreakyLocz14

Conservative Patriot
    Years
    • Seen Aug 29, 2018
    I started reading the manga and also read some other non-Adventures mangas.
    I really only like the Original Series of the anime. Hoenn and Sinnoh have their moments but they're too childish.

Pokémon Ranger ✩ Moriarty

I lit a wee fire...on a boat!
    Years
    Hmmm. When I was first into Pokémon I played the games, collected the cards (card-collecting seemed so much easier back then, though!) and watched the Anime. I had no idea that a Manga existed (as these were the pre-Amazon and eBay days) and thanks to us only having dial-up and one computer that my Dad neurotically played Heroes of Might and Magic on, the only way I could get involved with the fandom was at school. And people didn't really fangirl/boy at the school I went to, so we mainly talked cards.

Now that I'm older, I play the games (all of them), I'm just starting to research competitive battling (but all of the people who are advising me are way younger than I am, so I don't think that competitive battling is an "older" person's thing necessarily), I still watch the Anime (but mainly for the older characters like Professor Oak, Brandon, Byron, etc., although I do also root for Paul/Shinji) and I'm just starting to look into scripting because it seems fun. Oh, and I'm collecting the PokéSpec and DP Adventure! Mangas and heavily fangirling everything about them ^^.

But I don't think that from my angle any of these things are to do with my age; I think it's because I now have my own laptop, my own internet, so I'm able to research and do more of these things on my own steam. I miss absolutely nothing about a dial-up modem other than the rare happy windows when it would actually connect to the internet. -.-

Also, I need to dig up my old cards. I want to make bookmarks from them. XD (I have like 32 Bulbasaur cards from where I went through a MAN I LOVE BULBASAUR stage lmao).

curiousnathan

Starry-eyed
    Years
    I seem to go through an in-and-out phase. Though my last "out phase" was a few years, I'm heavily back into it now. And yes when I was younger I was much more naive and wasn't aware of the more serious factors in gameplay/battling. I started watching the anime from the first episode and I am currently in Hoenn. I am also into the Adventures Manga now, which is something I wasn't into before.

Yeah, that's the same for me as well.
    I go through in and out phrases. But now I am really into pokemon more than ever.

THIRTY-SIX

Banned
    Years
    • Seen Nov 18, 2015
    I'm only really into the figurines now. Never was much of an avid fan of pokémon anyway. xD

Code

Stealcase
    Years
    • He/Him
    • Seen Apr 23, 2021
    Same as the above....only after I lost my wifi, my interest has been fading...

Guy

just a guy
    Years
    There was a point when I would fade in and out of the franchise. Watching the anime and playing the games were what I used to do mostly. I also had a large collection of trading cards too. Though, as I did get older, I began to neglect my cards, just keeping them in a book. It was until I decided to sell them all that I finally moved on from the trading cards (not knowing how to play the TCG anyway).

Recently, I slowed down on watching the anime however. I still follow up on what's going on with every episode, such as who catches what, who earns what, etc. but I don't watch it as much like I used to.

Right now, it's all about the video games for the DS and Wii. I have a pretty strong point here and I don't think that will be fading away any time soon. Though, I think growing older and slowly fading from the different parts of Pokémon is what everyone goes through (at least those who are into it). It is pretty much like everything else, we grow attached to one thing, but as we get older or move on we start enjoying something else to our fascination.

NiKaNoRoU

we are but particles
    Years
    I'm in an "out" phase right now, as the games are really my only interest in the franchise and I'm finding myself with little to do in Platinum.
    Shouldn't you be taking your pension, sitting in a couch by now, old lady? :P

Uh, to me, age doesn't matter. One is only as old as they feel they are.

But, personally, I was always only playing the gameboy game series, not even watching the anime, but I used to do trading cards.

Seriously though, if my friends did the TCG by now, I'd still do it as well.

Currently, I only ROM hack, about what's relevant to pokemon.

Years
    • Seen Oct 22, 2016
    Though I never actually played anything other than Red and Blue (probably didn't even play Yellow), I've arguably become more interested in Pokemon as I've matured. I've as of late written at least one fanfic, with plans of another, and several articles discussing various topic important to the fandom. I've also explored the PokeGods, which were probably one of the single most important aspect of the Pokemon phenomenon in our youth. (My writing can be read below, in my sig)

Some people have different interests as they age. They say wine matures, and your tongue matures with it for a better experience. My interests have likewise grown-up, as have I and how I appreciate them.

FreakyLocz14

Conservative Patriot
    Years
    • Seen Aug 29, 2018
    Younger people can be into competitive battling yes many players who help me are younger than me as well but they're not little kids most of them are at least in high school.

I've seen a few episode of the current anime but I do not follow it like I used to follow the Original Series I just watch it whenever I happen to come across it while surfing through channels though I did go out of my way to watch the 12th Movie. I do; however, watch older episodes and the epic 1st Movie.

I actually knew how to play to TCG but have forgotten over the years and I'm sure the rules I played by have all changed anyways so remembering wouldn't help me.

For me it's not so much becoming less into the franchise as it is becoming involved in it in different ways.

Years
    I've arguably become more interested in Pokemon as I've matured.
    I'm the same. I could be very focused and single minded when I was younger, but now that I'm older I can appreciate the franchise in different ways. I still have my talking Meowth figurine, but I don't play with it anymore.

iLaxbe!

by Duke R
    Years
    My family thought i would forget about it after i grew, but i keep into pokémon more and more. Sometimes it's embarassing, when i have to show my notebook to other people of my age and it's all covered with pokémon stickers. (cool stickers!) But there are excellent Pokémon video and card games, so there is fun for grown-ups, too.

I just can't stand that cartoon anymore, i'ts too childish (= boring) for me. Only the movies are worthy now, imo.

Emotion.

Mentally Burning Rainbow.
    Years
    I'm into it in a different way then I was all those years ago, back then I was only a little kid, I saw it like all little kids did, but now I can look at everything in a different light.

And now I've got my little 10 year old nephew into it all, He's now got platinum, and a few toys, and now some of the PMD games, I feel like I'm passing it down to the next generation, gives me a warm fuzzy feeling :3.

I do; however, watch older episodes and the epic 1st Movie.

You are so right, I remember going to see that when I was 5/6, I was so exited, I was well into it all back then :D. The Movies of today just don't have the same excitement, or is it only me looking at them too maturely? :3

Ayselipera

When I was young I would say I was more into all the different things of the franchise. I watched the show, collected cards, played the games, watched the movies, and collected little toys. Now though for the most part I just play the games. Occasionally I'll watch a few older episodes of pokemon just for the nostalgic feel, but besides that I really only play the games.

Back