• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

OMG, Its evolving!

TheFuturePokemon

Natural.....
Years
  • Why do the characters always over exaggerate over pokemon evolving and they act all shocked. I remember the episode where ash's turtwig was evolving and all the pokemon looked in shocked with 2 out of the four already have evolved, and ash has seen alot of pokemon evolve over the years..

Vernikova

Banned
    Years
  • Because the kids watching will think it's mega cool. Sure, we've already seen Pokémon evolve a million times but the kids that are just starting to watch haven't seen it before (In the animé anyway) so they have to hype it up.

Zeta Sukuna

Descendant of the Inchlings
    Years
  • Besides, you don't know when it will happen. And since Ash doesn't know the new pokemon well, and he has the mentality of a 10 year old, he's going to be easily amazed by it over and over.

The anime isn't as predictable as the games in THAT way, you know.

PlatinumDude

Nyeh?
    Years
  • Maybe it's because the characters are happy that their Pokemon would assume a stronger form. In Ash's case, maybe it's because he's interested in what Pokemon his Pokemon will evolve into.

Katie_Q

Pokemon master in the making
    Years
  • Well they're pokemon trainers. They love pokemon. And they get excited when their own evolve. and because they go all silver and shiny and stuff.

rockets>u

The Champion of on-and-off
    Years
    • Seen Jul 27, 2011
    Because Ash is a noob.

I remember an episode where a giant Alakazm appeared and screamed "ALAKAZM!"

Ash "Look! Is that a Kadabra?"

Mew~

THE HOST IS BROKEN
    Years
    • Seen Apr 13, 2016
    I've always found it really awsome when you see a pokemon in the anime evolved, its looks great and stuff :3 you can't just keep a straight face when your pokemons evolved, im the same when one of my pokemon evolve in my games!~

Masterge77

Robot Mienshao
    Years
  • I just hate it how they point this out when a Pokemon evolves and act all shocked that it's evolving, let me tell you this: EVOLUTION IS NOT THAT STARTLING, I was not afraid when my Riolu evolved, the anime just loves to point out the obvious.....

Speaking of pointing out the obvious, the anime apparently has the need for a character (usually Brock) to point out what type the opponents Pokemon is, it's okay when it's weaknesses most people don't know about (like Bug types on Dark types), but not when it's an obvious weakness that anyone should know about whether they played the games or not (like Electric types on Water types). Pretty much EVERY battle has this conversation:

Brock: "(Insert Pokemon here) is a (Insert Pokemon's type here) type."
    Whoever: "That means it should be good/bad against (Insert opponent's Pokemon here), right?"
    Brock: "Right. But who knows what will happen."

bwburke94

Forever Aspertia's Aspie
    Years
  • I hated it when Max stated incorrect type effectiveness in AG, which was happening ALMOST EVERY EPISODE by the Battle Frontier. Usually it was ignoring the defending Pokémon's second listed type (especially Ground-types of course.)

Years
    • Seen Jul 19, 2014
    I guess evolution is amazing no matter how many times you see it occur.

Years
    • Seen Sep 14, 2010
    Think about it, when you were a kid and you got a new pokemon game. you didnt know when the pokemon would evolve, but when it did you would be so excited and happy. wouldnt you? If you didnt, man you had a rough childhood :P

cyan.

▲ 愛してる .
    Years
  • well i guess it depends.
    if theyre in the middle of a battle, and suddenly it starts evolving, i guess they could be pretty shocked. you never know when a pokemon will evolve in the anime, but in the games theres a set level and you can always find out by just googling it.

PiPVoda

water, Forever
    Years
    • He / Him
    • USA
    • Seen Dec 2, 2022
    When you have a close bond with your pokemon, you get amazed everytime you see 'em evolve. It's just apart of welll...loving pokemon. ;)

fenyx4

HOENN CONFIRMED!
    Years
  • Well, anime Pokemon evolution tends to be sporadic, so I guess it's a pretty interesting event to see... (plus, since the anime hardly ever references Pokemon leveling, Pokemon evolution can be very unexpected.) In any case, it feels like a very rewarding event...especially when you have to undergo (sometimes monotonous) Training in the games. And hey, everyone loves it when the starter Pokemon evolves! That cute ally you started out with earlier has just toughened up to reach a whole new level of EPICNESS!

I mean, catching a Pokemon is all nice and dandy. You're like, "Whoa! I got a cool Pokemon!" When it evolves, you're like "*gasp!* It gets stronger?!" Well, if you're playing a Pokemon game for the first time with no advance knowledge, I'm thinking that's what it tends to feel like... Anyway, I guess they just try to preserve the magical/mystic sensation during an amazing unexpected event... :D

And as long as we get to hear epic pieces like this, I'm not complaining! :D
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jaHs1GSHMI4 (I know it's not the anime version, but it still references the same event - well, half of it does!)

mervyn797

What? I'm right here. >D
    Years
    • Seen Nov 28, 2011
    Because the kids watching will think it's mega cool. Sure, we've already seen Pokémon evolve a million times but the kids that are just starting to watch haven't seen it before (In the animé anyway) so they have to hype it up.
    What? Kids? Well, I'm a 15 year old and I still find a scene where a Pokémon evolves very special and awe-inspiring. Many a times Pokemon evolutions are unexpected and surprising in the animé unlike the games where you know that at this particular level your Pokémon is about to evolve. And I'm sure quite a lot of people agree with me.

Vernikova

Banned
    Years
  • mervyn797 said:
    What? Kids? Well, I'm a 15 year old and I still find a scene where a Pokémon evolves very special and awe-inspiring. Many a times Pokemon evolutions are unexpected and surprising in the animé unlike the games where you know that at this particular level your Pokémon is about to evolve. And I'm sure quite a lot of people agree with me.

Kids are the primary demographic for the show. As a result, I put kids. I never said that teens and adults couldn't find it exciting.

Years
    • Seen Dec 31, 2012
    Why do the characters always over exaggerate over pokemon evolving and they act all shocked. I remember the episode where ash's turtwig was evolving and all the pokemon looked in shocked with 2 out of the four already have evolved, and ash has seen alot of pokemon evolve over the years..
    190 episodes, eight evolutions in Ash's team.

That's one evolution every 24 episodes, and those episodes not only cover multiple days in-show, they're also missing days the show doesn't cover.

Eight evolutions, four years, one every six months on Ash's team. Brock got two evos (and that took four years, too, since Sudowoodo evolved 176 episodes ago), and Dawn got three (Swinub to Piloswine to Mamoswine was as amazing as Zubat to Golbat to Crobat).

Thirteen evos, that's one every 14 episodes, which is on average one every three months, episode wise.

TT;DR
    Let them be happy that their partners are evolving. I'd be happy, too, if it took that long (or in two cases, so damn soon)!

Back