• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

On Suicide

Years
    I totally agree that suicide rates would be lowered if it were discussed more openly and seriously. People should realise that the whole mystery and intrigue of suicide stems from the fact that it's completely taboo to talk about. So people who don't think about suicide don't understand why some people do and it's a vicious cycle for those people. People should be able to talk freely about their feelings without judgement, but that's not really a solution more of an overarching goal.

Elicoor

Elicoor
    Years
    I have been reading this and I need to give some information because this is driving me crazy.
    I have personally gone through multiple suicidal periods, so I know where I am coming from.
    I wish the idea of suicide being a selfish act would stop being thrown around as if it is a cold hard fact. What trials have been done? What double blind studies have you seen to state that suicide is selfish? None, because it is your opinion. There are people who think suicide is selfish and people who do not. It is all opinion.
    When I first was told by my friend that I was selfish for wanting to kill myself, I wanted to punch her in the face.
    I believe that the people who are saying that suicide is selfish are themselves selfish. These people are unwilling to listen to or understand the suffering of their loved ones just because they do not want to be left behind. They say it is selfish because they don't want to deal with the aftermath, be it emotional or physical.
    It is just like that terri shaivo (no idea if I spelled that right) mess that happened. They did not want to let her die because of their attachment to her, thus being the selfish ones.
    A friend of mine has actually been in a vegetative state for a few years now, and his mother refuses to let him go because she is so selfish.
    I do not think that we should be so terrible as to become completely numb to the suffering of others.
    If someone has killed themselves, they should not be thought of as selfish. We should be glad that they have been released from whatever was afflicting them to make them suicidal. We should not be angry with them because of our own attachment to them, because that shows selfishness. We should try to understand that they were apparently suffering and more negativity thrust upon the situation just does nothing to help.

Maybe I am just not making any sense, but I wanted my opinion on here. :3

Last edited:
    Years
    I can see how it is selfish. In fact, that's what caused me to stagger over to my roommate's bedroom after over-dosing three years ago. At the time, my life felt pointless. I had just gotten out of an abusive relationship, and had kinda spiraled out. I had hooked up with a few too many guys, dabbled in drugs, and yeah. I felt like I hit rock bottom - what was the point?

So, after I took my first initial 8 pills (mind you, these were for ADHD, and the strongest dosage), I messaged my friend and told her I loved her.
    She freaked out, and..I realized what a jerk I really was. How could I put her through that? How could I put my family through that?

I staggered over to my roommate's room, who then took me to the hospital.
    I think I really realized the folly of my actions, though, about a year later during the funeral of one of my cousins. My grandmother was especially distraught, and all I could think was about how she'd have reacted if I hadn't reached out when I did (she's always said I was her favorite grandchild, because she basically babysat me all the time). I felt even more selfish, then.

Long story short, I think realizing I was just thinking about myself and my misery was inherently selfish. One could argue one doesn't owe anyone happiness, but..really, by death, an impact is made.

Eevee3

╰( ´・ω・)つ━☆゚.* ・。゚
    Years
    I get really pissed off at hearing suicide stories because the majority of them are from problems that can be fixed. If you were dying of a disease that could never be cured and were in so much pain you just wanted to die, that's more understandable than if someone laughed at your My Little Pony sweatshirt.

I just think that it's a selfish way to go. You put your family and friends in pain and sadness forever. Nothing is that bad. Nothing.

Astraea

The Storm of Friendship
    Years
    Why should i Run away from my life?
    Do you know that a few years ago i also felt i should suicide but then a thinking came in my mind, For last 19 years i have done so much, I have planned so much for future and Should i destroy that all, Should i run away from life. You'll die some day for sure its a must thing thats gonna happen. Just live your life with fun and what you want to do, And if you start thinking i am gonna die in this period of time and get feared of iit, The clock's will start running like a time bomb. So dont be feared of dieing and never think of suiciding! Its the worst thing you can do!

Years
    I've acutally heard the same idea as Phantom.
    "Suicide is just a permanent solution to a temporary problem."
    I think I've even used it before.

Anyways, I think we actually have been trying to be told more suicide things earlier on. In middle school, I'd watch bullying videos and things like that. However, I guess it was more from a 'don't bully' standpoint and not a don't committ suicide video. If we can tie that in early on in a person's life that when it happens you hurt EVERYONE.

Of course, there are people who have mental illnesses and are extremely depressed and they just can't control it. However, there are way too many suicides with teenage girls (and some boys) due to bullying. They don't understand life yet, and they almost do it for attention sometimes. I know that's rude to say, but it's true. We just need to tell teenagers right when they start middle school that there may be bullying and to be strong and don't be scared.

However, you can't be sure if that'd really work. Suicide is really just a hard topic to address to people without terrifying them.

Treetwig

Banned for being awesome
    Years
    Suicide?Ain't nobody got time for that.Why the hell would someone can commit suicide?If you have a problem,face em!If you can't face em,ignore em!Just relax and take a deep breath.Every problem has a solution.Remember that if you have a problem,your friends is standing by your side.Instead of commiting suicide why not have fun and do what you wanna do.

Years
    • Seen Jul 22, 2016
    I get really pissed off at hearing suicide stories because the majority of them are from problems that can be fixed. If you were dying of a disease that could never be cured and were in so much pain you just wanted to die, that's more understandable than if someone laughed at your My Little Pony sweatshirt.

I just think that it's a selfish way to go. You put your family and friends in pain and sadness forever. Nothing is that bad. Nothing.

This statement ignores the fact that suicidal thoughts are indicative of a mental health issue. It could be depression. It could be post traumatic stress disorder. It could any number of ailments that affects a person's mental state. To make the claim that suicide is a selfish act is to ignore the underlying issues that brings a person to consider taking their own life.

People do not suddenly think of committing suicide because someone makes fun of the clothes that they wear. It is a culmination of many things that lead up to that point. And its wrong to assume that people have a support network in place that they can turn to for help. Not every one does, and even those that actually do, in that frame of mind their in, they cannot see it, so in order to relieve themselves of the pain and suffering they are experiencing, sometimes the only way out that they can even see is death. Is it rational? No. But people who suffer mental health issues, such as depression, can't always think rationally.

And I will say something else about this. It's not that people are being selfish by taking their own lives. It's that they are desperate for relief from the pain and suffering that they are experiencing. Attitudes like yours that automatically sees these people as being selfish only ends up adding to the problem.

Last edited:

Poki

Banned
    Years
    I don't feel like putting myself through that because of others.

Write things down that make you happy. Would it be worth it to let go of them? Don't make decisions when you're sad/angry.

Oryx

CoquettishCat
    Years
    • Age 31
    • Seen Jan 30, 2015
    I think that a lot of people here are using the word "selfish" as if it's an inherently negative thing to be selfish. It's not at all; everyone is selfish every day. Every time you get food that's more interesting than the cheapest food you can buy, and thus spend more money on yourself, you are being selfish because that money could have kept a starving person alive one more day. Every time you choose not to hang out with someone, you are being selfish and putting your wish not to hang out with them above their wish to hang out with you. Every time you put off a phone call with someone, you are being selfish and putting your convenience ahead of theirs. I'm not saying that doing any of these is bad; rather, I'm saying that putting your own emotions ahead of the emotions of others is part of everyday life and it's hypocritical to criticize someone for it. We are all selfish.

It also a very unempathetic argument to think that someone who is in so much pain that they would rather never feel again than continue with what they're going through that they should keep going through whatever's hurting them so much for everyone around them. We don't even expect people to donate blood as much as possible, even though it saves lives and for most people it isn't that inconvenient and it is easy and painless. Those with nothing really wrong with them shouldn't be obligated to do something easy and painless that will save lives, but those most likely with a mental illness in constant emotional pain to the point of suicidal intentions should be obligated to deal with that pain so others won't be sad? There's a disconnect there.

Years
    Long story short, I think realizing I was just thinking about myself and my misery was inherently selfish. One could argue one doesn't owe anyone happiness, but..really, by death, an impact is made.

Suicide, and depression, not only hurts you, but also those around you.

I've personally experienced a couple phases of extreme depression myself, and one of them last year nearly drove me to the point of considering suicide. Even though there are individuals who look to suicide as an easy escape from life, and have no intentions or actually hurting anyone other than themselves, the reality is that it may actually hurt them more than it does you. From my personal experience, I could tell that my parents were deathly worried about me; I never outright told them that I was suffering from depression, and had suicidal thoughts, but their parental instincts alerted them. They constantly asked me whether there was something wrong, if there was anything they could do, etc. Now that I look back to last summer, as hopeless as I felt, and how I viewed my life as having no purpose, my parents were the ones who were hurting.

So I understand the perspective where people believe those who are suicidal are "selfish," but in their own mind, they're not doing anything wrong other than relieving the world of one single individual who probably doesn't matter (in their perspective).

Monophobia

Already Dead
    Years
    Not all problems can be fixed. I've learned that lesson the hard way.

Life is stressful. So stressful, that sometimes, we don't want to deal with it anymore, and decide to disappear. Honestly, isn't it the person's decision, not anyone else's? Who are you to tell someone that they can't open themselves to the sacred silence of death? Maybe I'm the only one who feels like this.

I take depression medication, I cut myself, I've attempted suicide and failed - and those were all my choices. To say that someone is "selfish" for wanting to take their own life is a ridiculous accusation. It's my stance in the world - if I dare destroy it, well...it wasn't someone else's was it?

I'm not telling anyone to kill themselves. It's really difficult for people who have the thoughts in their heads. However, if someone is 100% certain that they no longer wish to live, let them do as they please.

Ultraviolence

alt account for Eros
    Years
    • Age 28
    • UK
    • Seen Sep 3, 2019
    Suicide is a rather grey area for me. But I guess I'll post my opinion here.

I've never felt depressed or like I want to kill myself. Ever. But I have been effected by someone wanting to commit suicide - my mother. Had my gran not seen the signs of her depression worsening and came over of her own accord, my mum would've topped herself during the night for me to get up for college and discover. I know why she wanted to do it and I totally understand why she did. But she got the help she needed, she had her family around her and managed to climb out of that episode. Of course, having chronic depression means she could have another episode like that. But ever since that night, I do think of suicide as an act with many, many levels of causes and effects.

I do find suicide to be a "selfish" act to some degree. But if that individual person is so emotionally wrecked inside they can't face life anymore... It is most unfortunately their choice. I'd be devastated to have lost my mum that night and I'm sure all of my family would've been too. Suicide does have an impact on the people left behind, and it's sad because a lot of problems can be fixed.

Years
    • Age 29
    • Seen Jan 28, 2019
    Before I say anything, understand this is my opinion.

Suicide is a solution for some people, a way to escape. I don't feel like it's selfish at all, and on the other side of the coin I feel as if it's a bit selfish for the surrounding people to not want them to. What do you know about the persons life, how can you tell them it's going to get better, how can you tell them that you've been through what they've experienced, and what gives you the right to tell them not to? If they're suffering beyond belief, do you really want to try to stop them from doing the inevitable?

As stated, "Not all problems can be fixed.". You're making lies by telling them it will get better when you don't realize the situation at all. Sometimes it can be fixed, sometimes it can't. However, if they're determined or ultimately chosen their fate, you can't stop them.

Years
    Before I say anything, understand this is my opinion.

Suicide is a solution for some people, a way to escape. I don't feel like it's selfish at all, and on the other side of the coin I feel as if it's a bit selfish for the surrounding people to not want them to. What do you know about the persons life, how can you tell them it's going to get better, how can you tell them that you've been through what they've experienced, and what gives you the right to tell them not to? If they're suffering beyond belief, do you really want to try to stop them from doing the inevitable?

As stated, "Not all problems can be fixed.". You're making lies by telling them it will get better when you don't realize the situation at all. Sometimes it can be fixed, sometimes it can't. However, if they're determined or ultimately chosen their fate, you can't stop them.

Thanks for posting this response! I completely agree with your entire post!

I think there's two opinions on suicide that it's acceptable or it's wrong. The idea of suicide being selfish tells us something greater about the individualistic society we live in. I definitely think everyone should have their opinion and voice it. If you believe suicide is wrong that is your opinion.

But as to the "selfishness" of a suicidal act.. it is all based on perspective. Our individualistic society breeds this idea that suicide is selfish.. why? Are these selfish suicidal people easy scapegoats for blame? And how does their so called selfishness rank compared to the selfishness of the rich and greedy?

If suicide is selfish is it then morally wrong for anyone to commit suicide?

Does the fact that a person has relations/knows people/ has friends make it morally wrong for them to commit suicide because they will leave 'loved ones'... If so, then what of the hermit who has no friends.

It just seems crass to me, the idea that the individual act of removing yourself from the living world could be a "selfish act" anymore so than eating meat, competing for jobs or debating!!

Years
    • Age 29
    • Seen Jan 28, 2019
    Suicide?Ain't nobody got time for that.Why the hell would someone can commit suicide?If you have a problem,face em!If you can't face em,ignore em!Just relax and take a deep breath.Every problem has a solution.Remember that if you have a problem,your friends is standing by your side.Instead of commiting suicide why not have fun and do what you wanna do.

Don't know how I skipped over this, but in my opinion, this is wrong. You can't face certain problems and you can't ignore certain ones too. Not every problem has a solution, and what if the person is alone or can't go to anyone? If it was that easy for them to do what they wanted to do then they wouldn't have committed suicide.

Suicide isn't something someones does because of a small problem. Sure others may think as if it was a small problem, but they don't know how important it was to the person and how big it really is. You can't understand someone and what their problems are/what they're going through until walking in their shoes.

Years
    • Seen Sep 26, 2021
    I would only if I had anyone in my life. After what friends and family sacrificed on you, to be left with death.

Years
    • Seen Mar 29, 2015
    Before I start, I'll say that I'm not for people committing suicide by the masses. However, those of you that are thinking that such a thing is selfish, I have this to say to them: You've got no understanding as to why they are like that. Some of them see it as a permanent solution to a temporary problem, but this isn't always the case. Sometimes, their lives could overwhelm them, & might possibly drive them into suicide.

Just remember, they're not doing this just so that they can leave you - they do this because they see no way around their problems, & that suicide is their only form of relief. With that said, the bottom line is that suicide =/= selfish by any means. However, trying to keep one from doing the act for the sole reason that you don't want to deal with the aftermath? That is selfish.

Years
    • Seen Jul 31, 2014
    Some people here don't seem to understand what goes through people's minds when they are suicidal. They're not weak, they're not trying to be selfish.

I used to think people who commit suicide are over dramatic - surely there must be another way out.

But my boyfriend, the first person I've ever fallen in love with, is suicidal. Right now he is contained at a medical centre because they are so worried about him. Am I angry at him for wanting to leave me? No. He is ill. Telling him that there is so much to live for, that he's being silly, will not help. To be honest, I don't know what will.

Last edited:
    Years
    You know, I tried to kill myself some years ago because I was hating my life in that moment, I consider suicide as the end of a big and difficult game, if you're tired of this game, if you know that this game is too difficult for you, then you're free to do a game over; in fact right now I'm not so much happy about my situation, I've spoken with so many psychologists that I can not even count them, and then comes up that I got some disorders.

Neither now I know if it's really worth living, I have too many years left.
    A lot of people (including me) think about suicide as the end of all sufferings, once you've done it nobody can never disturb you anymore.

Back