• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

On the subject of button mashing.

VinceLevi

Do A Barrel Roll!
Years
    • Seen May 17, 2015
    When I was a kid, I was taught to mash the 'A' button as much as possible. For anything...
    Need more damage? Spam A.
    Better chance of Catching a Pokemon? Spam A.

I was wondering, does anybody else do this? Not just 'A' but any combination or certain button you press when trying to increase damage or capture pokemon?

~*!*~Tatsujin Gosuto~*!*~

Buffalo State College
    Years
  • When I was little, I use to think that buttom mashing the A buttom will capture the Pokemon. I stopped doing that until I read online that it does not increase or decrease the chance of capturing the Pokemon. I sometimes catch myself holding the buttom to capture Pokemon

:t354:TG

phonastik

Strange Quark
    Years
  • I used to press A and B when I was trying to catch a Pokemon. Then I read that it doesn't help. I still do it anyway.:P

Last edited:
    Years
    • Seen May 16, 2014
    Up until R/S/E I'd sometimes press A when the Poke Ball opened in the air, and B when it closed, or A when it opened and hold B + down as it shook on the ground. To this day I know it doesn't do anything, but I still sometimes do it, lol. I did it a lot in Black because I wanted to see what a Critical Capture looked like, but I still never got one >.<

U.Flame

Maker of Short Games
    Years
  • I do something a little more strange. For some reason, when I throw a Pokeball, I tilt my head the same direction as the Pokeball wiggles, just for good luck. Even though I know it does nothing.

Azure Wish

Haha. No.
    Years
    • Seen Apr 7, 2012
    Even though I know it wont do anything, I still press the "a" button when I am trying to catch a pokemon. Leftover habits die hard.

Frisky Arcanine

Jumpluff Hugger
    Years
    • Seen Sep 11, 2011
    Indeed, I always held down the A or B button when the ball would open up and "poof," and I still do it sometimes out of old habits. But for grinding, yea, I totally mash the A button pretty hard :p Multitasking works too

Alinthea

I have nothing to say
    Years
    • Seen Jun 16, 2015
    Haha, at least I wasn't alone. I can't remember the exact combination, but I use to press some when trying to catch a Pokemon in the very early games.
    As for button bashing now, I do it when I am at the Pokemon center to skip through all the dialogue.

deoxys121

White Kyurem Cometh
    Years
  • I used to think that it made it more likely to catch the Pokemon if you mash certain buttons or move the D-pad in a certain way. But then I found out it was a waste of my time because the number of times the ball shakes and whether or not you catch it is determined from the moment you choose to use the Poke Ball.

Scat Away

Screws the Rules
    Years
    • Seen Nov 21, 2011
    i used press or hold down the b button to up my chances of catching a pokemon , also i used to mash the a button when a foe took damage, hoping it would faint in one hit

Years
    • Seen Aug 22, 2011
    I mash A a LOT. I know it doesn't do anything, but I've been doing it for as long as I've been playing Pokemon games. Old habits die hard.

foxninja

On that day, seven years ago..
    Years
  • Back in the days of Red and Blue, I held down A and B, moving the D-pad back and forth..

These days, I've developed a strange habit. When the pokeball is over the Pokemon, I put my stylus on it. i follow it as it bounces and slide it back and forth on the screen, (top screen!) then if it catches I draw a circle, if it misses i draw a line up... Not really draw, make the motion. I have no idea why I do that...

Superjub

Pokémon Aureolin
    Years
  • When I was younger, I was told loads of rumours about Pokemon (you will find x if you do y... etc.), and I was told, I think, if you press right on the D-Pad, you have a higher chance of catching Pokemon. Funnily enough, if I'm desperate to catch a Pokemon, I'll sometimes do it these days as well. XP

VinceLevi

Do A Barrel Roll!
    Years
    • Seen May 17, 2015
    Back in the days of Red and Blue, I held down A and B, moving the D-pad back and forth..

These days, I've developed a strange habit. When the pokeball is over the Pokemon, I put my stylus on it. i follow it as it bounces and slide it back and forth on the screen, (top screen!) then if it catches I draw a circle, if it misses i draw a line up... Not really draw, make the motion. I have no idea why I do that...

^ This deserves an award. I thought my button code was complicated.

*Latias

It's so cool.
    Years
    • Seen Jun 26, 2012
    When I was a kid, I was taught to mash the 'A' button as much as possible. For anything...
    Need more damage? Spam A.
    Better chance of Catching a Pokemon? Spam A.

I was wondering, does anybody else do this? Not just 'A' but any combination or certain button you press when trying to increase damage or capture pokemon?

Yes, I always did, thinking that it would increase the probability of catching a pokè. But I still do it automatically, without even realizing it. I fear I will break the button but I just can't help it. xD

Genesect

Team Plasma Failure
    Years
  • I'm a srsly impatient guy so, every time there's a dialogue, or a cutscene or anything similar, I always mash the A button in NDS -_-". Impatience makes my fingers sore, also like when catching a Pokemon, when the Ball is popping, I'm STILL mashing the A button, bcoz of impatience,

P.S : Waiting is my enemy

Back