• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

ONE FIFTH of the ENTIRE pokedex is WATER???

Are there too many water pokemon?

• Yes, we're drowning in them.

Votes: 77 79.4%
  • No, I love them because I'm a water baby.

Votes: 20 20.6%

• Total voters
    Years
    • Seen Sep 25, 2010
    after playing through the Hoenn games, i feel a need to buy a life sized tentacool statue and burn it.

Timbjerr

[color=Indigo][i][b]T-o-X-i-C[/b][/i][/color]
    Years
    well of course it makes perfect senese.u do know that there are a lot of water creatures in earth so that much water pokemons are fairly normal

Allow me to turn your logic around. The vast majority of animal species on earth are insects, arachnids, and crustacians...all of them perfect candidates for being caracatured into bug-type pokemon, but the bug-type is only the fourth or fifth most numerous pokemon type.

Hell, there are more species of plants than there are species of fish, yet grass-type pokemon are being surpassed by water-type pokemon in every generation.

Lockmaster24

Wise words of FizzyStardust
    Years
    I order my boxes by type and my water box is always full i have to chuck them in other boxes. 92/493 is just way too many but most are useless 12 are starters, 5 are legends and the rest are every other water creature there is

.Gamer

»»───knee─►
    Years
    we need moar steel and more unique typings, but less "invincible" pokemon. we have enough dark as it is i think, moar ice types too, but not ice/water. like an ice/electic would be cool or an ice/rock

Opposite Day

too old for name changes
    Years
    Ice/Rock is a big NO screaming at you D:
    It'll have a 4x weak to Fighting and Steel, a 2x weak to Water, Ground, and Grass, and only resist Normal, Flying, Ice, and Poison, ffs. They don't really grant that good coverage together either, with Rock's real few benefits over Ice being the ability to hit the Fire and Ice-types SE, and Water-types for normal damage. I mean, would you like to create a thingy that screams "Scizor bait!!!!" ?

As for the topic, I'm proud to say that my favourite poke actually removes some of the water from the game by evolving - go go Masquerain! (:

Years
    • Age 28
    • Seen Mar 29, 2019
    I don't care about fire types, I want more ice types =/
    But yeah, I see your point. Gamefreak definantly went overboard with all dem fishies.

EDIT:
    @ above post -----> Masquerain ftw! =D

.Gamer

»»───knee─►
    Years
    i dont think more ghosts and dragons are necessary, they are cool because they are rare, kind of like psychics used to be. and as for the Ice/Rock i was just thinking about how cool the designs could be, like a rare one of a kind crystal onyx. or something BA like that.

Years
    92 water pokemon and and I only run into bloody tentacools and wingulls when surfing!

I think Hoenn has a lot to answer for here lol

I think the issue is the need for quality over quantity and some interesting typing. This goes for all types not just water. As for types I'ld like to see I think some type of Dark/Dragon has potential to look pretty nasty.

But that being said I don't feel like there are too few dragons as I like the fact that they are rare. But I do believe that when Gen V rolls around that you should have multiple options which are viable for each basic type as I made the selection of Piplup when starting pearl only to find the only fire Pokemon in the game was a blood ponyta. New and more interesting fire types are needed as there are only so many times I can play through with an Arcanine.

Some new Ghosts and maybe some Psychic as well.

*Minun*

Loves ponies, hates phonies
    Years
    There are lots of water places in the games, so they need lots of water pokemon. It's like complaining that there are too many golbats/zubats. There is, but there is actually a good reason.

Enilias

Successor to Hokuto Shinken
    Years
    Water is not only abundant, but also extremly broken. Water Attacks do at least normal damage against 15 types and only plant and dragon resist it - both weak to ice which almost every water type is capable of learning.

Back