• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

5th Gen Opinions on BW/Gen V?

Maple Leaf

dazed and abused
Years
  • The storyline was brilliant, I agree.

The Pokemon weren't the best, but I didn't dislike them all too much.

Honestly, I think that B/W is better than HG/SS. It had a completely new feel to it.

dozo

party hardy
    Years
    • Seen Feb 3, 2014
    The story line was ok for me
    I just despise Munna and Musharna.

hah

Years
  • BW was an excellent game. They're tied with Emerald for my favorite games in the series and Unova is my second to Hoenn as my favorite region. Yeah, I love Hoenn. The Pokemon were pretty disgusting, but I still managed to find a good amount that I like. Still, I see many people enjoying the ugly little monstrosities, so maybe I just have high standards when it comes to my Pokemon.

Anyways, whole not being a huge step for the franchise, it certainly improved many aspects. The battle aesthetics are obvious, the storyline is longer and more interesting, and there are many interesting characters; complete with Gym Leaders that don't sit in their gyms during the entire game.

Really, the only thing I didn't like was the new Pokemon, but I approve of Game Freak's decision to keep the older ones out of it until post-game. I liked seeing "Youngster Bob sent out _______" and not knowing what the heck it was. I had no idea what its type was, what it's ability and moves were, etc.

So yeah, Game Freak dazzles me again.

Last edited:

Elite Overlord LeSabre™

On that 'Non stop road'
    Years
  • Good ideas, poor execution. The storyline was good, but too many things were left out, the experience system was completely messed up, the playable trainers look like they were drawn up after a long night at the bar, and don't get me started on the post-game.

B/W aren't as bad as R/S/E, but they don't measure up to the likes of HG/SS, D/P/Pt, or FR/LG.

~*!*~Tatsujin Gosuto~*!*~

Buffalo State College
    Years
  • There were certain Pokemon designs that just looked stupid (like Klinklang and Munna) but I really loved the story line. I wish that they put a Pokemon Battle Frontier (not a subway)

:t354:TG

Years
  • I liked Gen V overall, but i found it less advanced and kinda a step backwards in how some things are.. such as not all terrains producing a noise when walking and the factor that when you finish battles, you have to manually continue. Oh, and that you cant lock in the running shoes.. that kinda upset me lol

Dodq2

Black Knights Commander
    Years
  • BW was an excellent game. They're tied with Emerald for my favorite games in the series and Unova is my second to Hoenn as my favorite region. Yeah, I love Hoenn. The Pokemon were pretty disgusting, but I still managed to find a good amount that I like. Still, I see many people enjoying the ugly little monstrosities, so maybe I just have high standards when it comes to my Pokemon.

Anyways, whole not being a huge step for the franchise, it certainly improved many aspects. The battle system is obvious, the storyline is longer and more interesting, and there are many interesting characters; complete with Gym Leaders that don't sit in their gyms during the whole games.

Really, the only thing I didn't like was the new Pokemon, but I approve of Game Freak's decision to keep the older ones out of it until post-game. I liked seeing "Youngster Bob sent _______" and not knowing what the heck it was. I had no idea what its type was, what it's ability and moves were, etc.

I did enjoy the new feel. I'm sorry to say, but I didn't really care for Hoenn all too much.

Years
    • Seen Sep 18, 2013
    I love pokemon black and white and belive they did a great job with the sotryline

West the Hardcore Nerd

Giggles at the ghosties!
    Years
  • Looking at them sans Nostalgia Filter, B/W are probably definitely my favorite games in the series. I got to say, although it took me awhile to adjust to them, I now think that the new Pokemon are some of the most creative in the franchise.

Unova has a highly varied environment, and each of the Routes seems to actually do something; in the past games, I've noticed several Routes that do little to nothing other than connect two cities. In Unova, however, the Routes are longer and much more memorable.

The story is indisputably the most complex and developed in the series, that goes without saying. Darkest villains, too!

The music has always been great, but B/W's music just "popped" out more, and fit the mood much better. The gradually-developing music they used for the Badge Check Gates comes to mind.

...And that's just to name some things.

Years
  • The storyline was poorly designed ("Let's use pokemon to stop people from using pokemon, chyeah!"), but it shows to me, as well as the general Pokemon community that Gamefreak is trying to take Pokemon to a new level in the story direction. I have a feeling the next installment to the series will be more about story, and less about collecting the 8 badges and achieving the Champion status.

Apart fro the story being subpar, but cinematics being awesome, I'm happy with the rest of the game. The region offers a lot of diversity, Chargestone Cave was the only annoying place to traverse if you didn't carry repels (and Twist Mountain to an extent, but not as bad), and N is possibly the coolest rival ever.

Cheren and Bianca suck though. I really do not like either one of them. Cheren is annoying with his cocky "MUST BE PAWERFOOL" attitude, and Bianca's whiny "I'm not good at battling, what do with mah lif?" attitude also annoys me.

The pokemon were all wonderful and the region offers enough diversity to find a pokemon from each type that you might like, and I like how it felt like its own game entirely up until beating the main story line (meaning, Unova only pokemon up until then).

It's my favorite generation, save 3rd Gen. 3rd Gen's story was great, and I loved everything about it.

Years
  • My personal opinion was that BW failed to reach the "fun" level of HGSS. I disliked the new Pokemon, though the story was epic. How about you guys?

i agree. the storyline is quite intreguing but it hasnt reached my expectations of the "ultimate pokemon game" quite yet. i do think its better than the previous generation games. my all-time favorite was crystal version and that will never change but the way the pokemon battle on b/w is just so perfect to me. how could i give this game up? i really do love it.

Townes

Gentlemanly Hazard...
    Years
    • Seen Sep 15, 2011
    ILOVEBLACKANDWHITEGIVEMECHROMENOWNOM

On the other hand, I do think that they had the best story lines of any game thus far, and the idea of a whole new region and new Pokemon gave it a kind of fresh feel not felt since the days of Silver and Gold.

Nakuzami

[img]https://i.imgur.com/iwlpePA.png[/img]
    Years
  • Okay, just to name a few things...

Amazing story? Check. (If I need to explain, then you probably can't see the greatness in it, so there is no point for me to explain.)

Amazing Pokemon? Double Check. (Munna is one of my favorites (yeah, I'm lookin' at all you Munna haters) and the only ones I don't like are Simisage, Simisear, and Simipour.)

Amazing Characters? Check. (N is just amazing, and so is his story. Cheren... his personality isn't what I thought it would be... but it's along those lines (I thought he would be "Oh, I know all about pokemon, and you don't, so I'm better than you) but I think it would have been amazing if Bianca was champion. I mean, she complains that she's weak the entire story and that she can never be strong, so wouldn't it be great it she proved herself wrong by becoming champion?)

Amazing Region? Check. (Do I need to explain? Well, basically it's just really diverse and a lot better than previous games.)

That's just a few of the many things. It beat Hoenn for my favorite region (let's see if the remakes can change that ;P) and it contains some amazing pokemon that I just fell in love with.

Years
    • Seen Aug 10, 2011
    I really liked how it was like a fresh start. I liked going up against pokemon that I had no clue what they could do, and then catching EVERYTHING so I could learn about them. It reminded me of when I first played pokemon actually. Because I did just that with Blue.

Only thing I didn't like was the post-game and how it falls flat. What would've been cool is if you visit the "far off region" *cough Hoenn cough* that N is and either beat him into accepting your view point or turn him to your side. Either way, you get to beat another 8 gym leaders, which is what I liked from gen 2

Years
    • Seen Dec 16, 2022
    I would say that B/W is better than any pokemon game, bar Emerald. The story isn't a carbon clone of any of the old games. The majority of the new pokemon are welcome additions and it's just a great game overall. My only issue is that it has rather poor re-playability. It's not a terrible as HG/SS, where I couldn't even hit 100 hours, but I haven't played B/W for about a week, seeing as the after game is rather shallow.

As a whole, B/W is a evolution of the series done almost perfectly.

Zelda

⍃⍍⍄ ⍃⍍⍄
    Years
    • Age 8
    • +
    • Seen Sep 15, 2020
    BW was an excellent game. They're tied with Emerald for my favorite games in the series and Unova is my second to Hoenn as my favorite region. Yeah, I love Hoenn. The Pokemon were pretty disgusting, but I still managed to find a good amount that I like. Still, I see many people enjoying the ugly little monstrosities, so maybe I just have high standards when it comes to my Pokemon.

Anyways, whole not being a huge step for the franchise, it certainly improved many aspects. The battle system is obvious, the storyline is longer and more interesting, and there are many interesting characters; complete with Gym Leaders that don't sit in their gyms during the whole games.

Really, the only thing I didn't like was the new Pokemon, but I approve of Game Freak's decision to keep the older ones out of it until post-game. I liked seeing "Youngster Bob sent _______" and not knowing what the heck it was. I had no idea what its type was, what it's ability and moves were, etc.

I couldn't agree more with this post (Hoenn ftw, the best region evur).

And from the fact that they've improved some aspects of the games such as the battling system and whatnot, in due time when a third game comes out, they can add in the little features that help improve generations. While I can agree the new Pokémon aren't the best made, I don't see how they are so bad either. A lot of them are simplistic, where most designs allow you to see what type they might be (herdier does look quite like the normal type, Petilil looks just as a grass type would etc.) whereas I guess some of them just have a lot going on (Emboar perhaps? Klinklang). But I mean once you go along through the game you get used to 'em, and they're really not so bad. I guess that's just how I see it anyway.

Not wanting to get too off topic talking about their designs here, Black and White really isn't that bad, as said. The storyline is great, and the character dialogue fit what happens throughout the game very well, I don't have nothing really bad to say about the games. The only thing I'd probably mention really, is how the game takes full on attention to little kids; seeing as it's very understandable and not really difficult at all to get through. I like challenges and unfortunately I don't think I really got very much from B/W. ...I remember throughout Ruby/Sapphire, the first time around I had to use a guide to get through Victory Road (meh, it was probably easy but I was little), and now it's really not that hard at all to reach the Elite Four. If anything, and from all the games really, I'd like to see more challenged situations, if that makes any sense. :cer_smile:

I liked Gen V overall, but i found it less advanced and kinda a step backwards in how some things are.. such as not all terrains producing a noise when walking and the factor that when you finish battles, you have to manually continue. Oh, and that you cant lock in the running shoes.. that kinda upset me lol
    Haha, funny part of the feature to lock in running shoes, is that I always held down B anyway.
    But I see where you're coming from in how it's just not...advanced from the other generations, and I'd like to see that from Pokémon. Or at least from how I see it and from what I've said above, new generations should come with new challenges, and they've done that partially I'll admit, but I'd like to see the concepts become harder as well. Still, Black and White are pretty decent games and I like them. They're enjoyable with the storyline, battling system, characters and everything, and if I had to give it a rating from one to ten, I'd say an 8.5. (o:

PixelTyranitar

Johto Region Game Expert
    Years
  • The after game was shallow. You just get stuck kinda doing nothing. The Battle tower was wiped out and introduced a subway, which in fact was too weak and early.

Other than that, it was a great game.

Years
    • Seen Mar 10, 2013
    The game was rushed out at an unreasonable pace (the past few years the development teams were busy making other games to work on BW as much as they needed to) because they wanted to get the last pennies out of the DS's sinking ship.

Otherwise, not bad.

Back