• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

Opinions on Fakemons?

Years
    • Seen Oct 4, 2018
    I used to not like games with them, but I have come to like a few. Btw, is there a fan-favorite version of an evolution for Jynx, it unsettles me how they unbalanced the magmar-electabuzz-trio. Also, I'm a fan of well-made eeveelutions

Jynx has an evo in pokemon Vega.

Years
  • Nope, they don't have the feel as legit Pokemon

Some are outright lazy while others overdo it and stray too far from something Game Freak would make.

Years
    • Seen Dec 29, 2020
    I personally didn't really encounter a lot of good fake pokémon. However I think some fake evolutions or pre evolutions could have some potentional if it fits in the hack. For example if their is a hack your are trying to make pinsir available early in the game. Than something like a pre evolution could be very intressting. Another possible thing could be a scenario where you noticed you don't have a lot of dragon pokémon in it. Than you could do something like an new Eevee evolution to spiece things up. I personally think that fake pokémon are clearly underused for these type of situations. Offcourse the design needs to be perfect and that quality you don't find a lot. I saw a lot of fake pokémon roms recently and the art just doesn't fit the standards that it should have been. It doesn't really help that the art quality seems to be reduced over the course of generations what makes it an even more difficult task to create them.

Years
    • He or They
    • Seen Jun 19, 2022
    What I think too many people do is create fanmon hacks with an entire new pokedex with no old pokemon for familiarity. For me that can be kind of overwhelming, and with so many new fanmons, the quality inevitably slips. What I've noticed is people who do good fanmons usually end up doing just a couple because they are so time intensive, and this often means their fan-dex ends up not ending up completed if it's just a few people.

Years
    • Seen Sep 1, 2023
    Do you like fakemons? Yes I Do Provided they are looking good i'm looking at you quartz
    Do you have an interest in fake moves/abilities? Heck Yes but only if they are actual new moves and not the same moves with a different name
    Have you ever played a fan-made game, if yes what has been your favorite? Yes, Pokemon Vega

Last edited:

Absolitetion

Deemed to be a demon, but an angel inside.
    Years
  • Personally, no, I am not very keen on Fakémon.

I am rather conservative when it comes to including Pokémon (also Moves, Abilities, etc. though to a lesser extent) that are not in the original games. I tend to avoid such fan games.

Years
    • Seen Aug 13, 2019
    I only like the Fakemons if they are well made and if they are well drawn. But most of the time, I prefer the real, official Pokemon.

Years
    • they/them
    • Seen Apr 19, 2024
    I love the idea of fakemon, but I admit there's been very few fangames I've seen that pull it off in a way that's at least half on par with the official ones. I can definitely look past a half ok sprite if the idea, name, overall design and typing is cool though! But overall, games with fanmade mons seem to be a whole extra endeavor compared to using existing ones, so naturally it can be difficult to do well.

Years
    • Seen Jan 16, 2024
    Do I like Fakemon? Only if they're good. The stats/EVs need to be different from existing Pokemon, the movepool needs to be unique. (not fakemoves but not moves copied from another Pokemon's move for move.) Finally, they need to be actual Fakemon. Chaos Black was a disaster. The Fakemon Magid was cool, but all the other Fakemon were actual Pokemon with a Fakemon image. The cloud thing was a Fearow, the yeti was a Seel, the orange armored dinosaur thing was a Cloyster, and not only was the dragon a Dratini, but it even made your (or at least my) game crash when I tried to use it. Disgusting.

Am I interested in fake moves/abilities? Yes, as long as they're unique. Devihell's Meltdown from Pokemon Ruby Destiny Rescue Rangers was just a Heat Wave. Not impressive.

Have I ever played a fanmade game? Of course.

Which is my favorite? Rijon Adventures, but I only just started playing them recently. Rijon Adventures, Outlaw, and Rescue Rangers are the only ones I've given a decent amount of time to.

HeavyMecha

Weighed Down By Technology
    Years
  • Fakemon are kind of that unknown medium ground, they are intriguing, but if the effort put into them is well... for a better word, lacking... then they tend to lose interest. But if they are well made, have a fairly decent background/backstory, then they tend to be much more appealing.

Take for example Pokemon Clover, every sprite (for the most part) were custom made and had a uniqueness to them, had dedication put into them. If more hacks that included fakemon were as dedicated and actually detailed their work, then more fakemon hacks would be appreciated... but as it stands, a lot of fakemon hacks seem to be of a Microsoft Paint kind of art, very amateur to say the least.

Don't get me wrong though, hacks like Quartz and Marble are neat and all, but they just feel like a mess of artwork from a 10yr old. (no offense, but throwing a couple of shapes together, adding a face, and some color... doesn't count as an actual Pokemon).

(ALSO... stop mixing REAL and FAKE pokemon together, fakemon need their own region, not a region that is already claimed)

Last edited:
    Years
    • Seen Sep 22, 2020
    As long as the art design is good and it has canon moves that makes sense. Also I think stat wise they shouldn't be great. I don't want a OU tier fakemon, personally I believe they shouldnt leave NU tier. If done right with time and effort they can really make a rom back have its own life and feel.

Bisharp

Whoa.. up close and personal..!
    Years
  • I personally like seeing FakeMon in games if they have actual effort put into them. It's always interesting to see new ideas and types in games, and Fake Pokemon are great ways to do this.
    I tend to judge fake Pokemon by the sprite work and dex entries put into them rather than their movesets or stats -- I can ignore those. If a Fake Pokemon doesn't have a good design, backstory/data, or sprites, I just won't like it as much. I know it's not right to do so but it's just me.
    The best fanmade Pokemon I've seen are in Pokemon Clover. Most of them don't resemble existing Pokemon - and if they do, it's a good parody of one - and they have a good variety of different body types, concepts, etc. The art is good and the movesets/stats are very nice as well. Plus, Clover isn't afraid to not be 'aesthetically pleasing' which is fitting considering its origins. I can admire creative freedom like that. All the effort put into it is outstanding.

I think one of the worst examples of fakemon I've seen is Pokemon Quartz. You can tell there was an attempt, but it's not a good one.

Back