• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

Opposite Gender

Elite Overlord LeSabre™

On that 'Non stop road'
    Years
    I have really good friends of both genders, and I don't see a problem with it. With my female friends, so far it's stayed exactly as that - as friends, and that's perfectly fine with me.

helix

tea-binger.
    Years
    • Age 32
    • Seen Jan 21, 2016
    I enjoy being friends with and am very comfortable with conversing with either gender. As off-whack as it sounds, I don't really distinguish people by gender so much these days- there are so many more traits a person has got going for them beyond that.
    tl;dr I don't have to be in a romantic relationship with every member of the opposite sex I'm close to! D:

Years
    • Seen May 9, 2024
    Hmmmm. A lot of my friends online are male, yet overall my closer friends are usually female, so, I think people are closer with their own gender? idk. :(
    The majority of my friends (all together; offline and off) are female, but I'm closer with my male friends than I am my female friends, but that'd debatable and rather bias. I'm judging closeness by best friend "status" since I've had quite a few best friends in the past. The majority of my best friends have been male. I've had about seven best friends, only two of them have been female.

Does that make any sense?

Porygon-Z

Silph Agent
    Years
    • Seen Aug 17, 2010
    There's more than likely a thread like this *somewhere* but I'm really, really lazy tonight and cannot for the life of me be bothered looking, so if there is, then sue me! :]

Anyway, do you believe it's healthy to have a friendship, no strings attached, with people of the opposite gender? I've seen a lot of people think this false but I truly enjoy having female friends around me, personally. Give your reasons as to why and why not and if you don't, you will be shot. In the face. Multiple times.

And I'm going to throw in this question too; which gender do you feel more comfortable around?

I don't see why anyone should have difficulties having friendships with people of either gender.

People aren't attracted to every guy/girl they meet, so unless you are attracted to every guy/girl in the world then you should be able to have a normal friendship.

Years
    Well, why not? :) Admittedly, the line of thought that "opposite gender friend = bad" just boggles me. If I have things in common with somebody, I'm not going to refuse friendship because "you're not the same gender as me, too bad".

I tend to have a lot of guy friends myself, but I think that's mostly because I feel more in common personality-wise with guys than with girls. Shrug.

(And this is talking as someone with a partner. Both him and I have friends of the opposite gender; and since we both know that it's just friends the other is talking to, there are no problems at all.)

Magik?!

Georgums.
    Years
    I have a complete mix of friends from very girly girls to boy-ish boys, but I tend to lean on my guy friends more for advice and stuff, despite being a girl myself. The last school I went to was an all girls school and I ended up having no guy friends after three years there because I just didn't know how to interact with them and stuff, yet within three weeks of my current mixed school, I was best friends with a guy. I think it would be awkward maybe if I started going out with any of my close guy friends, but none of us think of each other in that way, we're just friends and that's perfect for me.

I think it's very helpful because there's times when they come to me for things that they don't want to go to other guys for because the guys would tease them for being girly or something (I dunno. They're weird.).

I think having a mix of friends is the best thing, because most people have different friends for different purposes, so it's whatever their comfortable with :)

Zebeedoo

Always remember to smile. ~
    Years
    I've only got like one or two male friends irl and a lot of female friends. Online, however, I have more male friends than female friends it seems. ;o; Though I am closer with a few of the females. I prefer to be around females because around guys it just feels awkward. xD;

Binary

え?
    Years
    • Seen Apr 7, 2014
    I'd never heard of something like making friends of the opposite gender being unhealthy. I have a few female friends and they're really close too. I prefer hanging out with my male friends but I also try to keep in touch with my female friends. I think that it's good to have friends of both genders. Friendship cannot be discriminated by gender.

hiphiphippo

hip hip hurray!
    Years
    i don't have a problem with having male friends.. (i'm female!)
    my best friend online is male (loxius, -cough-)
    we've known eachother for over a year and half and it's been perfectly nonawkward.. LOL

also, i think it's useful to have him around to talk about relationship stuff to see a guy's point of view

IRL, i have guys who i talk to a lot, but arent really close friends, which works for me.
    but sometimes i find that i can be myself around guys more often rather than around certain girls, which i dont really understand..
    anyway, i have more female friends

also, i tend to have the "rivalry" feeling with females more often. jus sayin'

Melody

Banned
    Years
    Honestly, if there isn't trust in a relationship, it's never gonna work out. With that being said, there's nothing wrong with having friends of the opposite sex. I have several female friends who I really enjoy being with, and my pair Kimi doesn't mind at all. n.n

That being said, my pair tends to obsess about HITT, and he's a guy, and she's spoken to him online several times. You don't see me getting jealous about that, I totally trust her anyways even though she fangirls about HITT all the time when we're talking. (personally I think it's cute to see her fangirling like that but that's me) xD

Years
    To be completely honest I find the concept stupid.
    Im a guy. Probably 90% of my close friends are female. Including my best friend, a friendship going on about 16 years now, we talk pretty much everyday, whether it be a phone call, text, msn or video call.
    On the other side of the coin, I live with one of my best guy friends, and I still have alot of guy friends that I see fairly regularly to hang out with (beer + sports ftw!)
    I dont feel more comfortable with one gender than the other. Its all the same for me because I exude self confidence. Some of my closest friends are people Ive randomly walked up to and started talking to while out at a pub or something similar.

I personally dont have alot of online friendships, I find it somewhat empty. Especially when theres a very miniscule chance you'll ever meet them. It seems ridiculous to me to have a friend that you've never even met but whatever.

Yusshin

♪ Yggdrasil ♪
    Years
    I personally dont have alot of online friendships, I find it somewhat empty. Especially when theres a very miniscule chance you'll ever meet them. It seems ridiculous to me to have a friend that you've never even met but whatever.

You remind me of those people who would always tell me that online friends "aren't real".

90% of real-life friends aren't real friends after all lol what's the difference. Of sixty real-life friends, what? Two or three might be actual friends who'll support you and back you up. The rest are just "there."

Zameric

The One and Only
    Years
    Well, I have no qualms about someone having friends of the opposite gender. But I do think it's healthier to have friends of both genders rather than just one gender.

I myself have several female friends, though I have more female friends online than I do offline. Now that's either because I'm not as good at interacting with girls in person as I am online, or just because I seem to spend most of my time online now because I do online schooling and live in the boondocks. xD

Melody

Banned
    Years

You remind me of those people who would always tell me that online friends "aren't real".

90% of real-life friends aren't real friends after all lol what's the difference. Of sixty real-life friends, what? Two or three might be actual friends who'll support you and back you up. The rest are just "there."

It's sad that you've lost trust in a lot of people Yusshin. I was in the same boat for a while, and I'm just now getting over it. Honestly, you shouldn't close yourself off. While I do agree that true friends will indeed respect what you believe in, understand that not everyone will believe the same things you do.

Years

Online friends by very definition CANT be there to "back you up". They ARE "just there".
    Therefore by logical reasoning, arent actual friends.

I have a VERY large friend base.
    And Im very fussy about who I choose as friends.
    Which leads me to make my point that, probably 95% of my friends, are actual friends, that support me, and back me up. Whether they think Im wrong or not.
    To give you numbers, I talk to probably 200 people a day, that Im friends with (rough estimate), of that 200 I would consider 190 of them as actual friends.

Yusshin

♪ Yggdrasil ♪
    Years
    It's sad that you've lost trust in a lot of people Yusshin. I was in the same boat for a while, and I'm just now getting over it. Honestly, you shouldn't close yourself off. While I do agree that true friends will indeed respect what you believe in, understand that not everyone will believe the same things you do.

Oh, no, that's not just me XD A lot of people know this. There aren't really a lot of "true friends" anymore. They're rare.

What I'm saying is, online friends can be just as true as real-life friends. There are morons online and there are morons in real-life, and there are really nice people online and really nice people in real life, too. The majority of your "friends" though are fake when it comes to tough situations.

S'all I'm saying. There's not really a difference if you can't see an online friend. I have great online friends and I see them as real, regardless the inability to physically see them. I don't see what makes online friends not real :< Online friends can support your decisions and whatnaught. Some r/l friends don't even do that.

EmeraldSerenade

babyboy
    Years
    Friendships with the opposite gender are quite fine with me. I have an even amount of friends in both genders, but talking to females can be fun ^^.

Which gender do you feel more comfortable around?
    I feel more comfortable around my female friends. They're kind and well, it just feels more stable around them. When I'm around girls it feels so.. calm.
    It makes the other boys envy me xD

Limey-chan

Batzu
    Years
    My friends are pretty evenly split between boys and girls, and I feel equally comfortable with either gender really.

Why is having friends that are exclusively girls/boys unhealthy?? =/

Years
    I have friends of both genders. I'm not a sexist, like some people. I'm friends with people for who they are, not something as trivial as what gender they are. Not being friends with someone just because they're a girl is ridiculous. :\

SonicThrust

Ice Cream <3
    Years
    • Seen Nov 15, 2013
    I have more female friends than male friends and have since high school, perhaps earlier. And despite what's been mentioned previously, I've been good friends with these girls for about 5 or 6 years now and have no desire to be in a sexual relationship with them. I see absolutely nothing wrong with being friends with the opposite gender. There are somethings I talk about more with my male friends (most of which are mainly online), but the same thing goes for my female friends.

Oh I am male btw @_@ that probably bears mentioning.

Back