• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

6th Gen OR/AS or X/Y

Years
    • Seen Nov 1, 2015
    Hi everybody :) I'm here to ask if I should get OR/AS or X/Y. I just got my 3DS in August and for some reason have not purchased one of the new Pokemon games. I guess I have been wrapped up with Smash Bros. and Majoras Mask, but I have decided that since there was no new Pokemon game being released this year that I would have to choose. Alright so out of the Pokemon games for the 3DS what do you think is the best and most fun? Anyway thanks for reading this really longish post{XD}
    (Also if this is the wrong place to post this please tell me, I'm still new to this fourm:))

Years
  • Hi everybody :) I'm here to ask if I should get OR/AS or X/Y. I just got my 3DS in August and for some reason have not purchased one of the new Pokemon games. I guess I have been wrapped up with Smash Bros. and Majoras Mask, but I have decided that since there was no new Pokemon game being released this year that I would have to choose. Alright so out of the Pokemon games for the 3DS what do you think is the best and most fun? Anyway thanks for reading this really longish post{XD}
    (Also if this is the wrong place to post this please tell me, I'm still new to this fourm:))

honestly it's been asked many many times and I'd advise you google it as the pros and cons are not only all over the net, but already on this site lol...

That said.. long story short, i'd say get both starting with X/Y

X/Y
    -They have roller skates! easily the most convenient mode of transportation in the game
    - Character customization. It's not Skyrim or anything to write home about.. but several different outfits and a few haircuts for your character is a nice touch.
    - Gen 6 make their debut. I'd say this is one of the better gens on pkm design. A couple are wtf? but for the most part an interesting looking rosters.
    -Introduction of mega-evolution
    - Kalos is a lovely region. The towns are quite small aside from the capital but still a nice map to explore.
    - Perhaps the biggest reason: Available pokemon in the wild is well above average this game. For the first time my first playthrough i had about 5 full boxes of different pkm without hardly any trading or porting which is critical when the motto is "gotta catch em' all" right?
    ~ to add even further still to that point, there is "friend safari" which kinda sucks all n' all if im honest but it is one way to slightly more effectively farm for shinies, reduce time spent IV breeding, and find pkm you otherwise couldn't catch in the while. So this is definitely the best game yet to completely fill your Dex if you're going for that.

OR/AS
    I don't have a ton to say about OR/AS yet because i just got it yesterday! lol.. But graphically it got a minor boost.
    - I hear tell the available pkm is a lot lower than XY particularly pre-elite 4.
    - The "story" is much better. Granted as far as RPGs go, Pkm has notoriously "Meh" stories anyway, but X/Y was noticeably weaker than the others.
    - It's most current. meaning there are most likely more people to trade with and battle
    - Several more features i have yet to explore such as Post game additional "story," whatever "hideouts" are, riding on a Latios/latias instead of needing HM fly, etc etc.

Hoenn i remember being my least favorite pkm game but i figured i'd give it a shot because OR/AS is generally regarded pretty highly. But for the sake of Catching them all and porting, I'd say That's good enough reason alone to invest in X/Y first.

Years
    • Seen Nov 1, 2015
    Wow thanks for the very detailed response :) Yeah you're right I probably should of just googled it but I really wanted to see what other people on the forums think. Acctualy I just order OR because I thought no one was going to respond. It's arriving in the next hour or so! If you ever want to play message me and I'll sauce you my friend code! :) Have a great day and I really appreciate the response, I have decided I may as we'll go for the current game and I heard it has quite a better post game then X/Y Thanks again cheers! :)

bobandbill

one more time
    Years
  • Seems I'm too late but that's okay, I agree with your choice. If you didn't get any game yet, I would personally advise getting one of ORAS.

There's some opinion behind my reasoning, but ORAS did feel a more polished game (probably helped by it being a remake). It does have more side content than XY - even without a battle frontier (not like XY has one either though!) there's contests, messing around with the dexnav, the Delta episode, secret bases, etc. The story is way better than XY's rushed mess as well imo. They polished and improved upon RSE's plot, and the additional sidequest offered in the Abandoned Ship was great. XY's highlight frankly is the Looker missions.

Even setting aside opinion though, it still makes more sense to get ORAS imo, because of the heightened chance of seeing a Pokemon Z (a 'third version', or maybe some sequel, who knows, to Pokemon XY). We're more likely to see this than an 'Emerald' or some counterpart to ORAS, because a) Rayquaza got its moment in the sun in the Delta episode anyway, b) the other remakes didn't both getting a third version, and c) the marketing of the 'XY & Z' anime along with Zygarde's forms, data exisitng of it having access to other moves, etc really points to marketting material for the next Pokemon game literally being 'Pokemon Z'. If it turns out to be a third version game (ala Platinum to Diamond/Pearl, Crystal to Gold/Silver, Emerald to Ruby/Sapphire), then if you enjoy OR and want to play more Pokemon you'll be likely better off waiting and getting Pokemon Z rather than XY.

Years
    • Seen Apr 14, 2022
    I actually preferred XY to ORAS though I may well be in the minority here. It is true that XY is weaker on the actual story but come on people, it's pokemon, how much plot do we expect? I just felt like there was more to do in XY and being able to customise my character was a plus. It also has that lingering feel of not being quite finished either. So many unanswered questions and hints at things later to be revealed.

ORAS has too much water for my liking and IDK, I just didn't take to it like I did XY. I liked it but I'm actually still playing it. Only just got my last badge whereas in X I had played through within a couple weeks and was working on my dex. ORAS is also the only game in which I have had to trade to get a solid ingame team. Usually for ingame use, I have at least 2 thirds of my team decided by the 3rd gym. I only just settled on two of them last night (got them in wondertrade) and am now frantically trying to level them up quickly.

Years
  • Usually what I'd do when someone has a question like this is to play both, starting with X/Y so they can get used to the new 6th Gen mechanics, plus it has trainer customization and a huge Pokedex that they can do a lot of teambuilding from.

After X/Y, then it's best you play OR/AS so you can adjust to the further new additions here, along with also getting to see the changes to the story and the Hoenn region itself. OR/AS does have a strong selling point with a decently huge postgame, which may not exactly be HG/SS or B2/W2 level but it's still enough to keep you going.

Oblox

Pokemon Breeder
    Years
    • UK
    • Seen Jul 9, 2021
    OR/AS are much more polished, X/Y has some nice features but id say definitely feels like a step back after playing OR/AS. Plus as has been mentioned the next game may revisit X/Y's story and location so you can wait till then to see that part of the world.

Sopheria

響け〜 響け!
    Years
  • OR/AS is definitely an upgrade from X/Y in a lot of ways, and while X/Y has its advantages over OR/AS, I'd say going with OR/AS was the best choice considering that Z (or insert the name of the next Kalos game here) is likely coming out soon. Z will probably be more "polished" than X & Y much to the same effect OR & AS were, so you might just want to save your Kalos experience for when it comes out :) (That's of course depending on how soon the release date is, which we're still not certain of)

jessluvstolaugh

Video game maniac
    Years
  • OR/AS is definitely an upgrade from X/Y in a lot of ways, and while X/Y has its advantages over OR/AS, I'd say going with OR/AS was the best choice considering that Z (or insert the name of the next Kalos game here) is likely coming out soon. Z will probably be more "polished" than X & Y much to the same effect OR & AS were, so you might just want to save your Kalos experience for when it comes out :) (That's of course depending on how soon the release date is, which we're still not certain of)

Both are great in different ways. ORAS was pretty great and I feel that because it's a remake, people don't want to think that it is as good of a game as X or Y. I personally love them both.

Drayton

Chilled Dude of The Elite Four
    Years
    • He/They/Them
    • Seen Feb 21, 2024
    To catch up first, Play XY it gives you fundamental about mega evolution and interesting aspect are player customization and trainer video, then play ORAS where more new additions and post-game content, but the lack of trainer video and player customized

Back