• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

6th Gen Order in the league!

Years
    • Seen May 19, 2024
    Interesting. The thing I didn't really like about the new system of having the choice of who to battle, and when, was that it took away the challenge a little bit. With the old system, you're forced to adapt to their roster. You know who's coming up, and you have to be ready for the climb no matter what. With the new system, you can make their order adapt to you. Meaning that you could put the E4 member who has the most advantage over you first, and from there working through less difficult battles. I also liked how levels were raised as you went on.

What I've always wanted to see though, was a random order. That would really challenge you, as well as make the dynamic more interesting. When you lose against the E4, you know what's coming up when you try again. This is why I'd love to see the reincarnation of the old system, but with a twist whereby they change up the order of the E4. Now, that would be a challenge. Though I imagine they'll continue the current dynamic they've had since Gen V.

Years
    I'm probably in the minority here since I like the newer system that Unova and Kalos have a.k.a. choosing the order you fight the Elite Four members in. I always found the older games hard because at times the team member I had that could counter the next member wasn't always fully trained yet.

With the newer system it allowed me to better prepare my team without knowing I'll be at a disadvantage. It's basically what Gavin stated just above me, to make them adapt to your personal order. You could like start with the one you know you'll struggle with and then make the others a breeze from there on.

Years
    • Age 31
    • USA
    • Seen Mar 30, 2024
    While I appreciate and welcome the challenge brought by having the Elite Four in a set order, I'm sure selecting your own order can be incorporated in a way that does have each opponent rise in difficulty as you go on--Game Freak just hasn't done so in order to make the games easier to complete.

As much as I'm for ORAS staying true to the originals, I just have a feeling the Elite Four will be redesigned to follow the new "choose your own order" method. We've been seeing that method for the past 3 sets of games, it seems a little weird to discard that, even for a remake. But if they have a set order, I won't complain. It will feel nostalgic, that's for certain.

OmegaRuby and AlphaSapphire

10000 year Emperor of Hoenn
    Years
    I'm probably in the minority here since I like the newer system that Unova and Kalos have a.k.a. choosing the order you fight the Elite Four members in. I always found the older games hard because at times the team member I had that could counter the next member wasn't always fully trained yet.

With the newer system it allowed me to better prepare my team without knowing I'll be at a disadvantage. It's basically what Gavin stated just above me, to make them adapt to your personal order. You could like start with the one you know you'll struggle with and then make the others a breeze from there on.

Exactly. That's why those of us who want a challenge are hoping they keep the old order as it was hard.

Candy

[img]http://i.imgur.com/snz4bEm.png[/img]
    Years
    With the newer system it allowed me to better prepare my team without knowing I'll be at a disadvantage.

Which is why the Kalos league was an easy challenge. It didn't help that they reveal the names of the rooms upon entering (seriously, Fire chamber? Water chamber?). If they didn't, and then we step into the elevator, we wouldn't be able to guess what type we're facing.

Seriously, I actually stepped into each room before deciding who to face at the Kalos. Now, if only the doors lock themselves upon entering, then I'll be stuck with whoever and whatever type I'll have to face. It'll bascially be the same type of challenge as the in-order system: You can't predict what you're facing.

Imagine:
    *me as a random first-timer in the league*
    "Ooh I want to start with this room first."
    *enters room*
    "Steel Chamber? I'm not ready for that!"
    *door lock*
    "Nuuuuu! ;o;"

Unpredictable at its finest.

But you know, with the majority of us knowing that the order will be Sydney > Phoebe > Glacia > Drake anyway, disregarding the new gameplay mechanics, moves and abilities, we'll still be prepared for the league if it were to be in order. I still think choose-your-own-order level-scaling lock-you-up system will be the best solution. At least, for the ones seeking a challenge.

I mean, being 10 levels under and needing to survive to win is really fun. xDD
    But hey, everybody has their own preferences.

EDIT: Don't you just hate typos?

Last edited:
    Years
    I'm kind of torn. On one hand, having an option and making them all the same difficulty in terms of level allows for defeating the elite four to be more strategy-oriented, while the previous system involved stocking up on items to outlast the elite four as they grew stronger every time. The latter definitely made for a harder challenge. I can see them going either way, but just for consistency, they might make the order optional again.

Altairis

take me ☆ take you
    Years
    Preset order! With that in place, they're able to increase the levels between each member, and that gives it a little bit more of a challenge. Think about it - if you could pick the order and all of the E4's levels are the same and you started off at the same level as their Pokemon, by the time you get to the 4th, you would have gained a ton of EXP and will most likely be levels above them! Then it just gets easy. But if the E4 gain levels with you? Keeps the difficulty more even.

Bobbylicious

Banned
    Years
    i prefer challenging them in order, but even if they let you chose your own order, i just do the default order, so its basically in order anyway.

so if they let you chose i'll just go with the RSE order

Elaitenstile

I am legend
    Years
    • Seen Feb 27, 2015
    Preset order! With that in place, they're able to increase the levels between each member, and that gives it a little bit more of a challenge. Think about it - if you could pick the order and all of the E4's levels are the same and you started off at the same level as their Pokemon, by the time you get to the 4th, you would have gained a ton of EXP and will most likely be levels above them! Then it just gets easy. But if the E4 gain levels with you? Keeps the difficulty more even.

I have to agree to this. When I challenge Sidney it gets too easy and Blaziken/Breloom would just cruise through with no damage except PP loss. Phoebe has Dusclops who would stall with Protect and waste more PP, but a few well-placed Shadow Balls takes care of business. Glacia usually beats half my team, and I barely scrape through Drake. Wallace is totally based on luck, so I like the way the order makes it more challenging, and also allows you to get more experience by rebattling them again and again.

Salzorrah

[font=Montserrat][b][color=#66CC66]g[/color][color
    Years
    I want the old system back! It kinda gives us a little challenge on who to face, and tbh I kinda like the stairs to the top motif in the Hoenn League :)

Years
    For me, the reason why the Unova and Kalos League are an easy challenge, was because of the new system introduced in Black and White, and I hated it, easy is not my type.
    What really made Pokemon Leagues challenging, was when you defeat a member, it gets tougher on the road.

Years
    As much as I love being able to choose which Elite Four member to battle first, I have a feeling that, because ORAS are remakes, they will go back to making Trainers challenge the E4 in a specific order. That being said, I would much prefer being able to choose who to challenge first, and I can see that working if they modify the building so that the rooms aren't linear, much like how it is in Unova and Kalos.

Years
    I hope we have to fight the Elite Four in a specific order like we had to in the original games. I prefer that way tbh. Since these are remakes, I think that they'll make us fight the league in order.

Years
    • Seen today
    I like the completely free Elite Four of Unova and Kalos, but the fact that the levels didn't increase really bothered me.

They could always have a system, where each Elite Four Member has four possible teams (with differently levels and moves), and they use one based on what order you fight them in. Then, you'd be guaranteed that you'd fight the easiest first and hardest last, but could still do them in any order.

Or something else that might be interesting is have a preset order, but randomize it. Like, have your Trainer ID determine the order. Then, you have to fight them in that order, with each stronger than the last, but you have no control over the order and won't know it ahead of time.

Elaitenstile

I am legend
    Years
    • Seen Feb 27, 2015
    They could always have a system, where each Elite Four Member has four possible teams (with differently levels and moves), and they use one based on what order you fight them in. Then, you'd be guaranteed that you'd fight the easiest first and hardest last, but could still do them in any order.

You might be getting at something here. It would be quite easy to implement, and challenging as well. People would break the order and still find that the last one is the strongest. Perhaps each Elite Four member's Pokémon are +2 or +3 levels higher every time someone else gets challenged? Pretty interesting imo.

Years
    • Age 31
    • Seen Jul 11, 2022
    Beat the Hell out of me. I want to walk away with a limp, four fainted Pokemon, and a sense of victory, not a sense of completely sweeping the E4 like I have been the past two generations because of that "Pick your order" crap.

Abnegation had a pretty neat idea where they would be in a random order each time you would challenge them, though. It'd be neat if they even went so far as to change the movepools and held items of each Pokemon depending on the order of members. Like, EACH order have a random set of attacks and whatnot. Like, even if Glacia came first five times in a row, depending on where the others were placed, her POkemon would have different moves each time.

Last edited:

fenyx4

HOENN CONFIRMED!
    Years
    A poll would be really nice here.. XD

What I've always wanted to see though, was a random order. That would really challenge you, as well as make the dynamic more interesting. When you lose against the E4, you know what's coming up when you try again. This is why I'd love to see the reincarnation of the old system, but with a twist whereby they change up the order of the E4. Now, that would be a challenge. Though I imagine they'll continue the current dynamic they've had since Gen V.

Excellent idea; randomization would be amazing.. I'm kind of torn now.. Originally, I wanted "any-order" (a group known as the "Elite 4" should be equal in strength in my opinion, not "4th member can easily pwn 1st, 2nd, and 3rd members in one fell swoop"; otherwise, you might as well make them Gym Leaders, too), but a "Ladder" arrangement helps to counteract the issue that your Pokemon will be gaining Experience Points/leveling up as you advance further in the League... although we wouldn't have this problem if we and the Elite Four were capped..

Which is why the Kalos league was an easy challenge. It didn't help that they reveal the names of the rooms upon entering (seriously, Fire chamber? Water chamber?). If they didn't, and then we step into the elevator, we wouldn't be able to guess what type we're facing.

Seriously, I actually stepped into each room before deciding who to face at the Kalos. Now, if only the doors lock themselves upon entering, then I'll be stuck with whoever and whatever type I'll have to face. It'll bascially be the same type of challenge as the in-order system: You can't predict what you're facing.

Imagine:
    *me as a random first-timer in the league*
    "Ooh I want to start with this room first."
    *enters room*
    "Steel Chamber? I'm not ready for that!"
    *door lock*
    "Nuuuuu! ;o;"

Unpredictable at its finest.

But you know, with the majority of us knowing that the order will be Sydney > Phoebe > Glacia > Drake anyway, disregarding the new gameplay mechanics, moves and abilities, we'll still be prepared for the league if it were to be in order. I still think choose-your-own-order level-scaling lock-you-up system will be the best solution. At least, for the ones seeking a challenge.

I mean, being 10 levels under and needing to survive to win is really fun. xDD
    But hey, everybody has their own preferences.

EDIT: Don't you just hate typos?

Sorry, I haven't played Pokemon X and Y yet, but are you saying that Kalos chambers don't lock you up after displaying the room's name and you wish that they would lock up prior to displaying the room name? ~_~

I like the completely free Elite Four of Unova and Kalos, but the fact that the levels didn't increase really bothered me.

Or something else that might be interesting is have a preset order, but randomize it. Like, have your Trainer ID determine the order. Then, you have to fight them in that order, with each stronger than the last, but you have no control over the order and won't know it ahead of time.

These systems might work well... Hmm, what about if the game "flat-scales" the Elite Four Pokemon to the same level as your highest-leveled Pokemon if you happen to out-level their original teams (like what the Trainer Hill in Emerald does, in addition to the Hoenn Battle Frontier at Level 60 and beyond) in addition to randomizing the Elite Four order? This way, you can't really prepare properly (providing more of a challenge) and you can't curbstomp the Elite Four either merely by being higher level than them, because they'll constantly be matching you?

Last edited:

Candy

[img]http://i.imgur.com/snz4bEm.png[/img]
    Years
    A poll would be really nice here.. XD

Sorry, I haven't played Pokemon X and Y yet, but are you saying that Kalos chambers don't lock you up after displaying the room's name and you wish that they would lock up prior to displaying the room name? ~_~?

Pfft... Didn't think of that. Will edit as soon as I get to a computer. xDD

And basically, yeah. It adds to the challenge. We had to step into the elevator before you're locked up with the person you chose, but the room names before the elevator made it too easy.

Plus, BW and B2W2 didn't show the chamber's name by the time we enter. All we had was intuition on what the type will be based on the decor.

Back