• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

Osama Bin Laden, Al-Qaeda mastermind, killed in Pakistan

Years
  • You know, I wonder how the Pakistani Government is going to weasel out of this one. For years they kept on saying that Bin Laden was in a cave in the mountains near the border with Afghanistan. It makes me wonder if they actually knew that he was 30 miles north of Islamabad and they were hiding him. I never really had any faith in the Pakistani Government due to the heavy influence of the Taliban.

fenyx4

HOENN CONFIRMED!
    Years
  • Still, like that CIA guy in the Simpsons Movie says: "We actually found someone we're looking for!" - good on you America, you're now equal to a yellow fictional cartoon character :P

LOL. USA! USA!

I guess so. :(

A U.S. official tells CNN that #Osama bin Laden has been buried at sea http://on.cnn.com/k6b6tS

Well that's it folks.

Wait, what? Already? This seems a bit too early. I'd really prefer to have visual confirmation for the world; simply "taking someone's word for it" isn't necessarily going to cut it in an event of this magnitude. :\

I also read that he apparently got a "traditional" handling and burial of sorts, which disturbs me. I don't see why a mass murderer like Osama bin Laden should receive a proper and "dignified" burial, when he pioneered offensives against thousands of innocent victims whose bodies were desecrated by brutal gunfire, combustion, and explosions, etc. If they're going to dispose of a body by casting it off into the sea, it should be in a manner that doesn't grant the man an iota of respect or dignity.

The death of a human is typically a grave event to pay respects at, but in this case, I do not see at all why we should be forced to "be solemn about" a man (could be more equated to a monster) who was bent on destroying others. Just as bin Laden rejoiced at the passing away of innocents, the world is uniting to celebrate his fall fervently. bin Laden is getting exactly what he himself exacted on others. He brought it on himself - as U.S. President John F. Kennedy once said, clarifying a harsh reality of the world: Those who make peaceful revolution impossible will make violent revolution inevitable.

After this article spreads on the internet:

http://www.stansberryresearch.com/pr...VD/PPSIM373/PR

After Obama's approval rate in congress is down to nine percent.

After his overall ratings are dropping to near low.

After a scratchy birth certificate is released out of the blue.

And we're also nearing election aren't we?

He comes out and declares Osama is dead and that they've made a huge dint on the War on Terror with another propaganda speech that is identical to Bush's.

Am I the only one?

One thing is certain, the conspiracy theorists have another one to go over.

No. NO. Conspiracy theories and hoaxes annoy me enough as it is. The only major "hoax" I can recall being dispelled of is the recent "Balloon Boy" incident. At its core, either the news is true or it is not, and goshdarnit, I need some good, positive news in this trying world of ours that unfortunately runs rampant with evil. I don't need some jerks trying to question the veracity of these tidings of justice now; the dawn of such justice feels like it has been long overdue.

Of the multitude of responses that this caused on my Facebook and Twitter pages, these two were my favourites:

Proverbs 24:17-18 Do not rejoice when your enemy falls; when he stumbles, do not let your heart rejoice, #osama

AND

One vital step for U.S. intelligence, political morale, and survivors of bin Laden's violence. But also one giant leap into who knows what.

It's with these that I agree 100% with. Although Obama did make a kick-ass speech.

Geez, there's a Proverb for everything, it seems. XD Sigh...but can we not at least rejoice the eradication of sin that has stained this world for too long..? I mean, I have inherently sinned too, but I'm not to go around perpetuating mass murder. Let the judgment be accorded by God, then. The second quote seems to encapsulate most viewpoints of bin Laden's death with surprisingly clarity, it seems. A major victory for justice, yet we still venture into an unknown future.

But yeah, the speech was quite awesome. ^^

tumblr_lkjsa0vvlq1qzu2tdo1_400.gif

in27yg.gif

Thank God!

And he died under Obama's rule =3 I hear that his people will want revenge. They won't prosper in Jesus' name. I'm traveling to America in June, they best not attempt anything then xD

This - may those terrorists never prosper:

A Prince got married and a bad guy died...I think Disney's gonna sue.
    Seriously though, he deserved this, it's one less piece of s*** walking on this planet. Good riddance.

In regards to the wedding... ;)

http://www.facebook.com/pages/And-Th...83567638361529

(And That's how the USA outdoes a Royal Wedding)
    It's a bit strange that many people were annoyed by a celebration of happiness, yet we're ecstatic at what is normally a solemn occurrence. Still, the U.S.'s "event" of justice has been 10 years in the making. IMO, it's good to have events of jubilee and events of upheld justice. ^^

Also, the Wikipedia article regarding got updated very quickly. It actually looks professionally made in such short a time period, compared to several articles in existence long before that one. D:

Last edited:
    Years
    • Seen Jan 3, 2015
    There are still ongoing threats from Al-Qaeda terrorists, vowing revenge. Here is one of the Al-Qaeda thinkers who promised revenge.

I'm sure I heard that the operation involved US intelligence plus Pakistan's help, so skepticism still clouds the issue that the Pakistani government did prevaricate the whereabouts of Bin Laden.

The elimination of Bin Laden may have ignited a war that may perpetuate for a long time. The ideology behind Al-Qaeda's doings lives on, the man representing that legacy died. Al-Qaeda supporters have been motivated by Bin Laden's doctrine and "cause", so I'm not hoping for something refreshing anytime soon.

He did deserve it, he knew it was coming, but his death may alter the situation of terrorism into something far worse and more atrocious. Lets hope the US knows that and is ready to contain that problem as soon as possible.

Years
  • Just dont get overjoyed now, Osama has been living a very dangerous life for at least the last decade, he could have died any time. They probably were already prepared for this case a long time ago, so I'm sure this is not an as hard hit against Al-Qaeda as it might seem. It's a hydra we are dealing with here.

Years
    • Seen May 2, 2011
    He died twice?
    Of course he died... It's not like the images were photoshopped or anything. There's so much evidence supporting this is fake.

Oryx

CoquettishCat
    Years
    • Age 31
    • Seen Jan 30, 2015
    LOL. USA! USA!

Wait, what? Already? This seems a bit too early. I'd really prefer to have visual confirmation for the world; simply "taking someone's word for it" isn't necessarily going to cut it in an event of this magnitude. :\

I also read that he apparently got a "traditional" handling and burial of sorts, which disturbs me. I don't see why a mass murderer like Osama bin Laden should receive a proper and "dignified" burial, when he pioneered offensives against thousands of innocent victims whose bodies were desecrated by brutal gunfire, combustion, and explosions, etc. If they're going to dispose of a body by casting it off into the sea, it should be in a manner that doesn't grant the man an iota of respect or dignity.

The death of a human is typically a grave event to pay respects at, but in this case, I do not see at all why we should be forced to "be solemn about" a man (could be more equated to a monster) who was bent on destroying others. Just as bin Laden rejoiced at the passing away of innocents, the world is uniting to celebrate his fall fervently. bin Laden getting exactly what he himself exacted on others. He brought it on himself - as U.S. President John F. Kennedy once said, clarifying a harsh reality of the world: Those who make peaceful revolution impossible will make violent revolution inevitable.

I can't help but think that we've become more like them than we think. :/ The "good guys" who also happen to be bloodthirsty and wish death on other people, and celebrate when they have died, just like they did after 9/11. I hold us to a higher standard than that I guess. I expect us to understand that the loss of a life is a solemn occasion, not one for celebration, but for reflection. The solemnity comes from remembering what brought us here, and what comes next, because this isn't over.

Geez, there's a Proverb for everything, it seems. XD Sigh...but can we not at least rejoice the eradication of sin that has stained this world for too long..? I mean, I have inherently sinned too, but I'm not to go around perpetuating mass murder. Let the judgment be accorded by God, then. The second quote seems to encapsulate most viewpoints of bin Laden's death with surprisingly clarity, it seems. A major victory for justice, yet we still venture into an unknown future.

But yeah, the speech was quite awesome. ^^

If you're going to go for religion, saying "I didn't sin as bad as that guy so it doesn't matter than I'm sinning at all" isn't how it works, lol. I just don't see the logic in acting exactly as the terrorists do. Just because they celebrate the killing of people doesn't mean we should celebrate their killing. Think of it this way: Osama bin Laden was born to parents that divorced soon after, had lifelong friends that he met in school, went to college to study, got married. When you look at it from that point of view, how different was his life that made him who he is? Unless you hold the belief that humans are inherently evil or good when they're born, it's a solemn thought to think that a human life was wasted in that way. Especially considering he rose to the top in Al-Qaeda, what would he have been with that talent for leadership if he hadn't turned down that path?

I feel like the death of Osama should be acknowledged as a step forward in the war, but not celebrated. It's hard to argue with those who believe it should be celebrated though, because it's really a difference of beliefs. I inherently believe that every human life starts out blank, with the ability to do evil or good, and every life is sacred no matter what. I can acknowledge that this was the best course of action given the options, it was the options themselves that were limited.

I'm going to stop because I'm kind of rambling now, lol. >>

Years
    • Seen Jul 3, 2011

I can just imagine him sitting and staring at a wall all day.
    ._.

Life without a phone and Internet must've very inconvenient for Osama. No Youtube, no online shopping, etc. He had to use human couriers to send and receive messages because he couldn't call/email without getting traced.

If he was careful enough though, he probably could use either. ._.

Maybe. But he would've to be really careful each time he made a call or used the Internet! Talk about not being able to use the Internet without fear.

Timbjerr

[color=Indigo][i][b]T-o-X-i-C[/b][/i][/color]
    Years
  • @people saying that we shouldn't be celebrating the death of a human being:
    We're not. We're celebrating the death of a monster. Bin Laden abdicated the right to be called human when he actively endorsed an ideology that states that killing innocent women and children is perfectly okay. He lost them again when he masterminded an attack that cowardly killed nearly 3,000 innocent civilians because of his misguided ideals and seething hatred of anyone that doesn't see the world as he does.

Osama bin Laden was not fit to be called human.

Years
    • they/them
    • Seen Dec 11, 2023
    It's Islamic Tradition to bury a body 24 hours after it died. While it may be Osama Bin Laden, I'm glad that USA already buried it. This means that even for a terrorist we'll respect their traditions. This way, we can kind of show that we're not complete savages out for complete revenge. We buried out in the sea because having another country accept the dead body would have been difficult.

I really have mixed feelings about all this. I'm not one for killing people even for revenge, but sometimes there isn't a way around it. It's just like people have said: if we kept him alive for trial, he probably would have gotten the death penalty regardless. Imprisoning him for life would have been a bad move, because there are those who would probably attack us for him back. At least those who were burdened by what was done on 9/11 can finally say that they got justice, and those killed in the 9/11 attack can finally rest in peace.

It'll be naive to say that it's all over. We now have Pakistan to deal with concerning where he was located, as well as the fact that we're still in the depths of war. I'm going to go with Toujours and say that it's a step towards the end of the war. However, I'm not going to voice an opinion on whether one should be celebrating, because to be honest, there are those who deserve to celebrate (those who have been burdened by what happened for ten years). Even if it's just for a little bit, we can say 'good job USA'.

Years
  • I have mixed feelings. I mean now he won't be a threat to use anymore, but I'm not going to say "I'm glad he's dead". It's not in my morals to say that or even celebrate death. I'd never know when God might plan his revenge on me for saying that.

So yeah, I won't say much on this one, and also I'm against killing people. But I'm also against killing people for killing people. Two wrongs don't make a right.

fenyx4

HOENN CONFIRMED!
    Years
  • I can't help but think that we've become more like them than we think. :/ The "good guys" who also happen to be bloodthirsty and wish death on other people, and celebrate when they have died, just like they did after 9/11. I hold us to a higher standard than that I guess. I expect us to understand that the loss of a life is a solemn occasion, not one for celebration, but for reflection. The solemnity comes from remembering what brought us here, and what comes next, because this isn't over.

If you're going to go for religion, saying "I didn't sin as bad as that guy so it doesn't matter than I'm sinning at all" isn't how it works, lol. I just don't see the logic in acting exactly as the terrorists do. Just because they celebrate the killing of people doesn't mean we should celebrate their killing. Think of it this way: Osama bin Laden was born to parents that divorced soon after, had lifelong friends that he met in school, went to college to study, got married. When you look at it from that point of view, how different was his life that made him who he is? Unless you hold the belief that humans are inherently evil or good when they're born, it's a solemn thought to think that a human life was wasted in that way. Especially considering he rose to the top in Al-Qaeda, what would he have been with that talent for leadership if he hadn't turned down that path?

I feel like the death of Osama should be acknowledged as a step forward in the war, but not celebrated. It's hard to argue with those who believe it should be celebrated though, because it's really a difference of beliefs. I inherently believe that every human life starts out blank, with the ability to do evil or good, and every life is sacred no matter what. I can acknowledge that this was the best course of action given the options, it was the options themselves that were limited.

I'm going to stop because I'm kind of rambling now, lol. >>

Hmm...I think I'm comprehending a little of your perspective. I don't know...I want to say that we're celebrating the fact that future lives have been saved (indirectly) more than the fact that a man has been killed.
    Furthermore, the solemnity of death can also be dependent on difference of beliefs, for some people... In my experience, there are a few individuals who do mourn internally for a loved one passing away with sadness, but they rejoice for and focus more on the fact that their loved one has finally escaped this Earth of pain, ascending to God's haven where they will be eternally liberated from brutality. bin Laden's death seems to have wrought a peculiar mixture of rejoicing and solemnity, with people highlighting different aspects of the death... I do tend to regard death (particularly of innocents) as a solemn event of reflection, though...that's one major reason I dislike abusing the term "kills" or "died" in videogames such as Pokemon; I never want to immerse myself that much, and I want to ensure that I regard the concept of death with reflection and solemnity, not as some throwaway term.

Yeah, I see your point...I keep on thinking that a "big" sin such as mass murder/terrorism is a higher degree worse than a "little" sin such as stealing a slice of bread or something - when in reality, sin isn't exactly quantifiable, as strange as it seems. >.< A sin is a sin, no matter the enormity of it. Despite that, there is still promotion of the absolution of sin in its entirety... Aagh, it's messing with my head now; I can't explain it properly.
    But perspective does play a key role in this - briefly, I wonder what bin Laden's father thinks of the events. From a strictly paternal/fatherly viewpoint, it must be crushing to think that the world is celebrating your son's death... The same could be applied to the thoughts of his mother as well - providing one/both of them are alive, of course.

In the end, it's as you said, Toujours - a difference of beliefs. Though I'm markedly satisfied with this major step and development in "the war on terror", I personally would rather see a soul repent of past actions than to see that soul eliminated in something like a war-torn conflict. It is true that every life could be considered as sacred, because regardless of the path one treads in life, each individual has the potential to strive to exonerate himself/herself/itself of malicious deeds of the past, thus disburdening oneself overall from the condition of having done wrong.

Geez, this news really is notable. I mean, it used to be that typing the letter "O" into Google Instant yielded other results, among them "Obama", and now... >_> Updated itself in less than a day.

Last edited:
    Years
  • It's surprising how the Pakistani government used to claim that Osama was hiding somewhere in the Pak-Afganistan border, but is found right in their territory. What has Pakistan even done to fight terrorism all this while? The 11/26 Mumbai attack mastermind, Hafiz Saeed still roams free. I don't think that the Pakistani government is even willing to fight terrorism. Glad that US did the job alone. If the Pakistani government knew of this, the operation would have surely failed. u_u

Osama being killed ends nothing. There must be hundreds of his followers across the globe waiting to seek revenge for his death. I wonder when terrorism as a whole would be eradicated.

pokewalker

If it ain't Dutch,it ain'tmuch
    Years
  • YESSSSSSSSSS HES FINALLY DEAD!!!!!!!!!!

I saw the speech on Utube of Obama, and I must say, I am happy he died. I think most Americans are now alot less worried about him attacking their flat, etc. Good work U.S.!

Chiar

Years
    • Seen May 5, 2014
    THe might be a crime, but seriously, jumping from joy after someone's death and saying "God Bless America" just isn't right...
    I think that no one deserves death.

Years

I saw the speech on Utube of Obama, and I must say, I am happy he died. I think most Americans are now alot less worried about him attacking their flat, etc. Good work U.S.!

I can understand people celebrating that the threat he possessed has been removed but flat out ' Woo he is dead, get in there son' is just wrong.

Also, as I think more and more about it, I grow more sceptical that he is really dead or that he has only just died.

Years

You see, reactions like this really annoy me. I know what he did was wrong, but who are you to say that about his death? Would you like it if we all 'jumped for joy' at the death of you or a loved one? Just because he has done wrong doesn't mean we should stoop to the level of him.

Also, if people think that because he has gone that people will feel safer, then I think they need to re-listen to what Obama said. Even he says that this won't stop the attacks.​

Oryx

CoquettishCat
    Years
    • Age 31
    • Seen Jan 30, 2015
    I can understand people celebrating that the threat he possessed has been removed but flat out ' Woo he is dead, get in there son' is just wrong.

Also, as I think more and more about it, I grow more sceptical that he is really dead or that he has only just died.

I was a little disappointed in some of my friends...my best friend said that she was celebrating, but I didn't make a big deal out of it. One of my other friends made a facebook status though...

Major Hart: "Don't get too discouraged, there are still plenty of those f****rs out there to kill." What would the world be without a Marine Corps perspective?

Really? Also, The Onion has already commented on it, even if just in a picture and funny headline.

Last edited:

Azure Revolver

HONK HONK
    Years
  • Okay, am I the only one who doesn't feel we should be rejoicing over his death? It seems a lot of people are making this out to be a big event, which it isn't. It isn't ending any war.

Years
  • Although this doesn't solve the war or fix anything in the long run I think its a good sign. Thousands or more innocent people are dead because of this monster and he needed to be put down.

Years
  • You see, reactions like this really annoy me. I know what he did was wrong, but who are you to say that about his death? Would you like it if we all 'jumped for joy' at the death of you or a loved one? Just because he has done wrong doesn't mean we should stoop to the level of him.

Also, if people think that because he has gone that people will feel safer, then I think they need to re-listen to what Obama said. Even he says that this won't stop the attacks.​

Eggsactly. It just makes everything worse. I for one would never wish death upon a person or celebrate it.

I wasn't even thrilled with Saddam died (except the way they killed him made me sick :P ) Even then, my condolences went out to the family because I feel bad for them.

Back