• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

Osama Bin Laden, Al-Qaeda mastermind, killed in Pakistan

Guest123_x1

I didn't watch Obama's speech, but I first heard the news on my Facebook feed from some local TV stations' pages that I "like" (CBS affiliate WNEM-TV 5 from Saginaw, MI; NBC affiliate WDIV-TV 4 and ABC affiliate WXYZ-TV 7, the latter two stations Detroit)
    One of the stations' pages posted an update that President Obama was going to make a speech, but the subject was not disclosed. Later, the television stations' pages posted the news (from their affiliated networks) that Osama bin Laden had finally been captured and killed.

As soon as I heard the news I took the time to remember what had happened on 9-11, and what I was doing at that time.

As for the posts about having ANY sympathy for bin Laden, let me say there was no other way to bring him to justice. To borrow a line from Star Wars-Episode III: Revenge of the Sith - "he was too dangerous to be kept alive".

When I was getting ready for bed last night, I was watching the coverage from ABC News-the last major network still providing coverage of this, until about 1AM. I watched the extended coverage from ABC affiliate WJRT-TV 12 in Flint.

So, terrorism is over? No.
    Will there be more like him? Sure.
    Will there be retaliation? Of course.
    I fully expect retaliation. I fully expect the wars to continue for a long time to come. We still have the Iranian nuclear threat to contend to, for one thing.

But, that's not that I can't say, GOOD RIDDANCE!

Last edited:
    Years
    • Seen Jul 3, 2011
    It's surprising how the Pakistani government used to claim that Osama was hiding somewhere in the Pak-Afganistan border, but is found right in their territory. What has Pakistan even done to fight terrorism all this while? The 11/26 Mumbai attack mastermind, Hafiz Saeed still roams free. I don't think that the Pakistani government is even willing to fight terrorism. Glad that US did the job alone. If the Pakistani government knew of this, the operation would have surely failed. u_u

Pakistan being a Muslim state and having a Muslim government, I'm not surprised that they secretly helped Osama. Osama's hideout actually was near a Pakistani military academy! They're attempting only a half-hearted fight against terrorism.

I know many people are cheering Osama's death. I'd be doing the same if I lost someone dear in 9-11.

Years
  • Pakistan being a Muslim state and having a Muslim government, I'm not surprised that they secretly helped Osama. Osama's hideout actually was near a Pakistani military academy! They're attempting only a half-hearted fight against terrorism.

I know many people are cheering Osama's death. I'd be doing the same if I lost someone dear in 9-11.

From the looks of this latest press conference, our relationship with Pakistan is going to get very tense, as they now have to prove that they didn't know Osama was hiding out in Pakistani territory.

Years
  • Something tells me that Achmed, the Dead Terrorist may be gaining some more popularity.

Achmed2.gif

Was doing my Kingdom of Loathing thing last night, then came the announcements.
    Several minutes later? Zombie bin Laden, a new KoL user, joins the /newbie chat channel.

Go figure or go home.

Years
  • I'm glad that he died, but I don't think it's a reason to celebrate or anything like that. People should just feel a little safer, I sure do. Now we just need to find Waldo =/

kaiser32

Rhymin' and Stealin' ~
    Years
    • Seen Mar 29, 2013
    I can always count on you for intelligent posts, can't I.
    I can completely understand that everyone is celebrating and happy, because he, apparently, was the mastermind of 'the enemy'. Having him dead does certainly make the road to fighting against terrorism easier, doesn't it? Sadly, I don't think so.​

That... that just isn't right. That sounds like the phrase has been bent to accommodate revenge.​

You see, I disagree. You say 'we had to kill him to end that nightmare' but do you really think it will end?
    Does anyone on here honestly thing that attacks will end? I honestly feel that this death of 'their leader' will just spark more anger, more hate and provoke more attacks.

This is just my opinion of course, but how can killing one person, leader or not, really stop EVERY attack?
    Maybe I am just too sceptical for my own good...​
    Well, with the Christmas Day Bombing being a total bust, and other attacks fully failing. It's safe to say that we can honestly defend against more attacks. 9/11 was a sucker punch. Osama also took full credit for 9/11 and The Christmas Day Bombing. 9/11 was a low blow, which I dare to say had we caught it first, we could have prevented some damage. Christmas Day Bombing was poorly planned, and basically targeted our already stronger airport security system. Osama was a gangster mastermind, he evaded us for 10 years, releasing videos and soundtapes, and we still couldn't find him. I think that, sure, Al-Quaeda will fight back, but with our updated tactics we will fight them off. As for being happy for his death? I admit it, I was kinda excited, not because a man died, but because, This is HISTORY. I liked Obama, and I started doubting his choices, then when he did this I was proud. However, let's give credit to Bush, Daddy Bush, Clinton, and I think Regan, for paving the way. As for theories that this ISN'T Osama? Full of crap, DNA testing has evolved so much that a mistake is near impossible. All in all, good job USA, Obama, and the Pakistan Goverment.

Also, this song is totally fit for this situation; http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iw5EnAOOZ7s

Who shot ya, Osama?

Guy

just a guy
    Years
  • I also read that he apparently got a "traditional" handling and burial of sorts, which disturbs me. I don't see why a mass murderer like Osama bin Laden should receive a proper and "dignified" burial, when he pioneered offensives against thousands of innocent victims whose bodies were desecrated by brutal gunfire, combustion, and explosions, etc. If they're going to dispose of a body by casting it off into the sea, it should be in a manner that doesn't grant the man an iota of respect or dignity.
    We killed the man, we took his body away from his followers, and despite everything he's done, we gave him a decent castaway of his body so to speak. Why? Because, unlike this man, we're not monsters. We're human beings who have heart in what we do. So, the proper and humane thing to do would be to give this man a proper funeral, perhaps not in respects of him, but for the very least his religion.

Not to mention, don't you think it would just anger his people even more if we disposed of his body disrespectfully? Why feed the fire when it's already been fueled? To say that, I don't see anything wrong with giving him the funeral he already received. At least it shows we have a heart in comparison to him and his life actions.

For me, death is never something to celebrate; no matter who it may be. However, Osama Bin Laden was not just someone. He was a forceful leader to his followers who did a lot of inhumane and monstrous things. His actions were inexcusable and for all of that I disgust this man. That isn't to say I blame some people --- specifically those who lost loved ones because of this man --- who are celebrating his death.

But rather than celebrate his death, I celebrate the fact that people can feel just a little bit safer with this man gone. I celebrate that someone who did so much wrong has been relieved of such a life. I celebrate that after all this time, after all of those who died because of this man, can finally be claimed as a closed chapter.

Unfortunately, I look down a dusty path in front of us all, as many have already said, the war is not over yet.

Years

• We killed the man, we took his body away from his followers, and despite everything he's done, we gave him a decent castaway of his body so to speak. Why? Because, unlike this man, we're not monsters. We're human beings who have heart in what we do. So, the proper and humane thing to do would be to give this man a proper funeral, perhaps not in respects of him, but for the very least his religion.

Plus, he's got a family. Like you and I. Forgot to add that.

Years

• We killed the man, we took his body away from his followers, and despite everything he's done, we gave him a decent castaway of his body so to speak. Why? Because, unlike this man, we're not monsters. We're human beings who have heart in what we do. So, the proper and humane thing to do would be to give this man a proper funeral, perhaps not in respects of him, but for the very least his religion.

Not to mention, don't you think it would just anger his people even more if we disposed of his body disrespectfully? Why feed the fire when it's already been fueled? To say that, I don't see anything wrong with giving him the funeral he already received. At least it shows we have a heart in comparison to him and his life actions.

For me, death is never something to celebrate; no matter who it may be. However, Osama Bin Laden was not just someone. He was a forceful leader to his followers who did a lot of inhumane and monstrous things. His actions were inexcusable and for all of that I disgust this man. That isn't to say I blame some people --- specifically those who lost loved ones because of this man --- who are celebrating his death.

But rather than celebrate his death, I celebrate the fact that people can feel just a little bit safer with this man gone. I celebrate that someone who did so much wrong has been relieved of such a life. I celebrate that after all this time, after all of those who died because of this man, can finally be claimed as a closed chapter.

Unfortunately, I look down a dusty path in front of us all, as many have already said, the war is not over yet.

^ That.

It's funny how many times I have to use this quote in this day and age-

"Compassion is a weakness your enemies will not share"

"Exactly, that's why it's so important. It separates us from them."

"But I tell you: Love your enemies and pray for those who persecute you, that you may be sons of your Father in heaven. He causes his sun to rise on the evil and the good, and sends rain on the righteous and the unrighteous. "

Matthew 5:44-45

Last edited:

Echidna

i don't care what's in your hair
    Years
  • That's the best news I've heard all month. He brought this upon himself, and definitely deserved it. And you don't belong here if you think otherwise. Even though i respect the freedom of speech, but in this case, there is no opinion other than this. Its nice to know we've gotten rid of a crazy murderer and got on with our lives. Even though this isn't the end of terrorism, because his followers and Al-Qaida in general will keep on doing its work, but as someone stated earlier today, 'this is the beginning of the end of 70% of terrorism worldwide'. YAYZ !!!

You see, reactions like this really annoy me. I know what he did was wrong, but who are you to say that about his death? Would you like it if we all 'jumped for joy' at the death of you or a loved one? Just because he has done wrong doesn't mean we should stoop to the level of him.

Also, if people think that because he has gone that people will feel safer, then I think they need to re-listen to what Obama said. Even he says that this won't stop the attacks.​

I agree with you saying that this won't end the attacks, but when you say we have no right to be happy about his death, i must stop you there. Think about it, he's killed millions of people.

I live in the Arab world now, in Lebanon, and we know what he does to all those who defy him. It was all over the news once when a body of some guy who attacked him publicly on TV was found on the shore. His body was all cut up, and thrown into the ocean, and you know the pain of salt on a wound.

He was a murderer and does not deserve our pity. Besides, vengeance is in human nature, and so is being happy when a threat is gone, and when someone who's done so many bad things, is gone !!

Don't tell me you've never seen a movie and just wished you would see one of the characters suffer because of something very bad he did. Well multiply that by a million for all the bad things he's done, and then by another thousand because this guy actually got what he had coming, and it wasn't only a dream in people's minds. That's what most people on earth feel now, and that's how i feel.

Last edited:
    Years
    • Seen Dec 30, 2023
    They didn't have to kill him, but the reasoning for doing so is purely down to the fact that the world is due another war. The American government make money from wars, believe it or not, it also gives justification to have defense forces and an excuse for scientists to develop new weapons. The CIA are going to use this to their benefit, they same way they did when they trained Hussain to rule Iraq, as a decoy to start war to get oil.

Bottom line is, they could have easily done the just thing, but instead they killed him in cold blood. There was a reason for it.

Years
  • "10 years, 2 wars, 919,967 deaths, and $1,188,263,000,000 later, we managed to kill one person. (Next time START w/ the Seals 1st)"

Everytime I hear that we should not celebrate a person's death, I just think, We should mourn for the victims his actions have caused.

Essentially his actions (If we believe official history) caused much of the turmoil and deaths due to war for the past decade.

If the attacks of 9-11 did not occur, we would not be in the middle of 2 wars and tens of thousands dead due to such reactions by the American government.

So yes, western history was at the precipice of a so called "end of history" 9-11 started a new bloody chapter.

Last edited:

Echidna

i don't care what's in your hair
    Years
  • They didn't have to kill him, but the reasoning for doing so is purely down to the fact that the world is due another war. The American government make money from wars, believe it or not, it also gives justification to have defense forces and an excuse for scientists to develop new weapons. The CIA are going to use this to their benefit, they same way they did when they trained Hussain to rule Iraq, as a decoy to start war to get oil.

Bottom line is, they could have easily done the just thing, but instead they killed him in cold blood. There was a reason for it.

You're my new best friend.

You're so right. They gave Saddam Hussein money and weapons to rule Iraq, then killed him and took over Iraq for oil and fuel. I can't even believe they're still sticking to the whole 'We want to change this country to the better' excuse.

This might be a bit off-topic, but in regard to this matter, I just have one question for whoever still believes the lie the US government is passing around: "Where the hell are these WMD's eh ?? How much better has Iraq become during the past 8 years ?". Its actually become worse. There's now a civil war, and people dying daily.

I mean even the US army dispatched in Iraq is killing more people than terrorists and revenge killings. You seen Green Zone ? Although its not a completely true story, but the idea and 'reasoning' it tried to convey is completely true.

You're right, this might be a move to start a war to benefit themselves. Lolz.

Pekin

Wigglytuff is and has always been on acid.
    Years
  • This is indeed a sad day. The greatest master of Hide and Seek ever has been found. Now, who am I supposed to put my faith in? I truly believed him to be the greatest.

Furthermore, I agree with Abnegation. And it's despicable.

kaiser32

Rhymin' and Stealin' ~
    Years
    • Seen Mar 29, 2013
    Had we left him alive, then he escaped, Obama and the US Army would have gotten crap for letting him escape, we kill him and people think we're trying to start another war?

Lolwut. He would have died in cold blood either way, honestly, I'm sure the death sentence was in order. Oh, and with Sadam, wasn't he killing his own people? I though Oil was a secondary cause to screwing him up.

Years
  • I'm gonna put this out there.

For our foreign friends here, had 9/11 happened to your country, would your government have acted any differently than the US did?

Years
    • Seen Dec 30, 2023
    I'm gonna put this out there.

For our foreign friends here, had 9/11 happened to your country, would your government have acted any differently than the US did?

Assuming a situation like 9.11 was also a product of our own mistakes? Probably not, really, because we don't not have the power to rebel in such a way, I don't think many countries other than the US do. But the US brought it upon themselves in many ways, especially by letting the CIA betray it's own citizens by training Hussein, and putting him in charge in the middle east, as a distraction to actually go and obtain oil.

Years

• Assuming a situation like 9.11 was also a product of our own mistakes? Probably not, really, because we don't not have the power to rebel in such a way, I don't think many countries other than the US do. But the US brought it upon themselves in many ways, especially by letting the CIA betray it's own citizens by training Hussein, and putting him in charge in the middle east, as a distraction to actually go and obtain oil.

I would assume that If 9/11 happened to England/The UK/anywhere else, and the UK had the ability to take him out, They'd have done the exact same thing. Any other country would have done just that to a terrorist who murdered 3,000 of their nationals.

But you're right. The USA did bring create this monster by outfitting the Mujaheddin in Afghanistan in the 1980's, then later backing and propping up Saddam Hussein against Iran. Blame that on Ronald Regan and the Military Industrial Complex.

Last edited:
    Years
  • They didn't have to kill him, but the reasoning for doing so is purely down to the fact that the world is due another war. The American government make money from wars, believe it or not, it also gives justification to have defense forces and an excuse for scientists to develop new weapons. The CIA are going to use this to their benefit, they same way they did when they trained Hussain to rule Iraq, as a decoy to start war to get oil.

Bolded a false assumption. The American government doesn't actually gain any money internally, just re-allocates money from everything else to the military budget in times of war. American weapons companies do profit, but the government itself does not. At least, not with how American taxpayers are about taking on new taxes at the moment and have been for at least the last decade.

His killing probably makes things worse, though. :x

Back