• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

Parents?

Penutz

Breeder & Collector
Years
  • Just wondering on what all of our parents are like with us & pokemon?

Do they play also or know breifly about it?

With me, my mum knows i play it (and watched the show occasionly as a kid). And she knows how to birefly play it, when i was building a shelf for my sisters room i had the game going and was searching for a certain pokemon with a 2% of appearing. My Mum knows how the steps are 1- Move in grass 2- Tell me the pokemon 3- Press run and repeat step 1. Or if she finds it i take a quick break and catch it, my mum knows how shinies work and she said once "Oh i found a shiny!!" "i walked over and she didnt find one, grr.

.light

Airplanes in the night sky...
    Years
  • lol, nice way of catching shinies, cheat nah just kidding :)
    Soo... wait, I forget the actual question :)... ummm
    Oh!
    A question appeaed!
    Mum & dad know I do but the bag me about :( So I just lock myself in my room and play :P :)

Shiny Gardevoir

I huntz shiniez
    Years
  • My parents know a little about pokemon... My father only knows pikachu and dragonite XD
    They kinda think I'm too old for pokemon (16 going 17), but they let me play anyway.

Danikamakaze

★ D a n d a n
    Years
  • My mum thinks I'm way too old to like pokemon.
    She doesn't really like anything I'm into other than T.V. shows. Haha.
    Then again some of the T.V. shows I like she doesn't so... meh :c

blaze_the_cat

Entire team is babies!
    Years
  • You spelt Poison wrong in your signature by the way.

My parents dont know, or they dont care, that i play it. I generally tell my brother about whats going on with it.

bobandbill

one more time
    Years
  • This isn't HGSS-specific so I'm going to move this to a more fitting section.

Also please don't have a conversaion in the thread about mistakes in one's signature - VMs or PMs are for that. =P Keep on topic please.

Safetyfirst

Chloe Moretz Fan
    Years
  • My parents know I play it, and help me buy games/new DS etc. But they don't know the actual game. And they always forget the names. I go to mum "Please buy me Soul Silver" "Ok, got it!" and she comes back with a Diamond

Zenith95s

El Psy Congroo
    Years
  • My dad knows none about Pokémon
    My mom watches Pokémon on TV sometimes and tells "Isn't that Pikachu?"

By the way my dad doesn't allow me to buy any console until I am an 8th or 9th Grader! >.<

Ryden

Friendly Lurker
    Years
  • Hmm, my parents are aware I still play I believe, though it rarely comes up anymore. When I was a Kid though I had to deal with my mother mispronunciation of "Pokemon". She had a favorite Pokemon though, Jigglypuff. I ended up letting her have a figure I had of Jigglypuff as a good luck charm for when she went to play bingo.
    My Dad had no interest, however he was the one too supply me with most the games of Pokemon I own lol

Rich Boy Rob

"Fezzes are cool." The Doctor
    Years
    • Seen Mar 15, 2016
    My dad thinks I'm too old to play Pokémon (so does my sister saying that), but it doesn't really affect me. My mum on the other hand is pretty much oblivious to it, she just doesn't seem to have an opinion either way.

Sydian

fake your death.
    Years
  • My step dad probably thinks I'm an irresponsible little nub because I play it. Oh wait, he already thinks that. He thinks I should be spending more time doing boring classwork and cleaning the house. Want me to put on a skirt and make you a sandwich too? My mom doesn't really care that I play. I think she gave up on me ever stopping soon. My dad likes that I have an interest, no matter how silly it may seem to some people. He says I've been into it so long that it's just a quality that makes me...me. Ya know. A walking Pokedex.

560cool.

An old timer?
    Years
  • Well, mom was the one who got me HeartGold. I told her 100 times : "It's called : Po-kay-mon (for spelling) HeartGold ! It has a pheonix on it (Ho-oh) and it's gold.
    And there is my game !
    Or when I tell her : "Look mom, I caught a _____ !" "Yeah, cool ! *Yawn*"
    Dad always jokes ! ;) He started a Ruby (I told him 100 times not to save) and he jjust kept telling : " There's too much text ... when do I shoot ??"
    My parents aren't that Pokemon, as you can see ! ;)

Kipher

The author riding the raptor.
    Years
  • I may not be a parent yet, but my sweetheart is always flamboyent about it.

I know my very own child will have to deal with Pokemon, and I'll be a parent that'll know what the heck he's talking about with games in general really.

shookie

Often scatters things.
    Years
  • My parents don't play, thankfully, but my mom knows that I named our dog after a Pokémon (Chansey). That's about as much as she knows about the game(s) and I'm perfectly fine keeping it that way.

Two good friends of mine are really big Pokémon fans (one of them regularly hosts Pokémon panels at conventions) and they just had a baby girl a few months ago named Evelyn. They already said they're going to call her Eevee no matter what, and they got a picture of Eevee as a gift at the baby shower, so I can only imagine what it'll be like when she's older.

Kipher

The author riding the raptor.
    Years
  • My parents don't play, thankfully, but my mom knows that I named our dog after a Pokémon (Chansey). That's about as much as she knows about the game(s) and I'm perfectly fine keeping it that way.

Two good friends of mine are really big Pokémon fans (one of them regularly hosts Pokémon panels at conventions) and they just had a baby girl a few months ago named Evelyn. They already said they're going to call her Eevee no matter what, and they got a picture of Eevee as a gift at the baby shower, so I can only imagine what it'll be like when she's older.

Ok son, that's a tad bit much don't you think? I mean, realying back to your child hood is great and I did name my Shepard after one of my Pokemon's nicknames but naming your child, after an Eevee? Fine I admint Evelyn sounds like a beautiful name but I can only see what would happen later in life for her.

Decodedd

Number One Rookie !
    Years
  • I'm far from being a parent , but my girlfriend kinda loooks like a Charmander .
    In the cutest way possible of course....
    As for my parents , neither of them really care .
    So that's good for me :D

Years
  • My parents think that while my body might be maturing, my mind is becoming immature.

Basically because I've got more into pokemon as I've got older, after starting aged 10, and I beg mum to let me to go into town when I want a game. (I had one day to get Ss before we went a trip of otherwise epic boredom, so I begged so much I got it).

And so I have to hide the fact I'm watching the anime online, by pausing it when people go past my room.

My mum isn't too bothered. I think, while he doesn't let on, my dad may be wondering whether I'm gay (mainly because I like Cyndaquil coz it's cute, rather than because it's on fire).

Timbjerr

[color=Indigo][i][b]T-o-X-i-C[/b][/i][/color]
    Years
  • I don't live with my parents anymore, so eh...

Back in the day though, my mom was pretty oblivious to my interests. As long as I kept my room clean and kept up with schoolwork, she couldn't care less what I did for leisure. XD

My dad was the cool one though. When my brother and I first got into Pokemon via Red/Blue, my dad would always wanna play. He was actually quite good too, beating Giovanni gym battle for me after I failed miserably twice.

To this day, he still has a passing interest in Pokemon games, I remember one road trip the two of us had a couple years back. When I wasn't driving, I was playing my Pearl version or from one of my many pokemon ROMS on my laptop. When it was my turn to drive, he would occupy himself the same way out of sheer boredom. XD

Cherrim

PSA: Blossom Shower theme is BACK ♥
    Years
  • My parents know and have never had any desire to play the games. I probably had them try it once--I'm sure I must have--but it obviously didn't click for them. :/ I'm not even sure they know the names of the Pokémon I collect. *sigh*

My dad likes to joke around about it though. He calls my Pokémon collection my "yellows" because for the longest time it was mostly just Pichu. XD; He actually has a favourite (Psyduck :D) and remembers a bunch of random gen 1 Pokémon for some reason. (He brought up Charizard, Mewtwo, and Raichu for some reason on our last roadtrip and my brother and I were amazed. XD)

But when it comes to the games... no go. u_u; My mom just shook her head at me when I told her new games came out.

Back