• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

Help Thread: Patching & Emulation

Years
  • Age 44
  • Seen Nov 22, 2021
Nothing? Aaaah, damn it. Please? :)

Nothing? Aaaah, damn it. Please? :)

Last edited by a moderator:
Years
  • Age 44
  • Seen Nov 22, 2021
SOLUTION FOUND! IPS patching works fine, the only problem is if your in the area you changed when you boot up the game, exit and re-enter that area. Woo!

machomuu

Stuck in Hot Girl Summer
Years
Well, it depends. Depending on how much is changed between versions, it can either be safe or dangerous. Generally it's not a good idea unless the hacker says otherwise, as scripts may have moved around, areas might be changed or removed, or the game might be completely overhauled (leaving you locked out of finishing it).

So it's best to just follow whatever the creator says about upgrading.

Years

On the second page of that thread, you'll notice Rudolph's tool is linked. :D You can use that in your R4 card and that program to write the SAV to the real cartridge. It's pretty self explanatory. You just need to get the program open and look for the save restore option (I'd recommend making a backup of whatever is on the cartridge first though)... also try to get the latest version of the program if you can.

Are you looking to just move Pokemon up to Gen 6 rather than the whole save? I might be able to help with that if you just have a few Pokemon you're attached to that you'd like to play in more current games.

Years
  • Age 34
  • Seen May 11, 2015
On the second page of that thread, you'll notice Rudolph's tool is linked. :D You can use that in your R4 card and that program to write the SAV to the real cartridge. It's pretty self explanatory. You just need to get the program open and look for the save restore option (I'd recommend making a backup of whatever is on the cartridge first though)... also try to get the latest version of the program if you can.

Are you looking to just move Pokemon up to Gen 6 rather than the whole save? I might be able to help with that if you just have a few Pokemon you're attached to that you'd like to play in more current games.

Thanks :) Please may I PM you? I have posted on several different forums and am finding it difficult to explain what I want to do and understanding how I need to do it.

Years
  • Age 28
  • Seen Mar 22, 2015
Well, i figured it out. First up, on Bluetooth battles. Make sure you two are linked and have BOTH files on BOTH phones. Then, simply connect and then talk to the lady at the PokeCenter. Now, on the subject of WiFi battles. Unlike popular belief. You CAN hace a battle online with friends all over the world. First, you most port forward a server (search that in google, its faster than it looks). Keep in mind the port must be the same displayed on your device when you tap on WiFi Server. Then, after opening the port, you must connect to your WiFi and give your friend your EXTERNAL ip adress. Once again, google will tell you how to find this. Then, when your friend has the external ip adress of the WiFi you are connected to, the emulator displays a message saying "Waiting for incoming connection" and the port is forwarded, your friend has to input the external adress and the port. Then voila!! You Just madre a pokemon battling server!!! Oh, and keep in mind that 1. The server must have a original copy of MyBoy, 2. You must go Link remote and then WiFi server or bluetooth server on each case (only for the server, your friend picks client), and 3. If your game goes slow while in WiFi, it's internet lag, not your phone.
Always happy to help :D

Years
  • Age 44
  • Seen Nov 22, 2021
Well, it depends. Depending on how much is changed between versions, it can either be safe or dangerous. Generally it's not a good idea unless the hacker says otherwise, as scripts may have moved around, areas might be changed or removed, or the game might be completely overhauled (leaving you locked out of finishing it).

So it's best to just follow whatever the creator says about upgrading.

I said I was making a ROM hack. Not using someone Else's. Also I already figured it out, so whatever.

machomuu

Stuck in Hot Girl Summer
Years
I said I was making a ROM hack. Not using someone Else's. Also I already figured it out, so whatever.
Huh, a lot of unexpected sass recently for just trying to help out...

Regardless, I think you should keep what I said in mind, even if you are making the hack. If you go forward with only the solution you found in mind, you'll get stuck and possibly have to deal with a lot of bugs. As a hacker, it's important to keep various saves and backups and go through your game several times- otherwise the end result could be less than desirable.

Well, whatever you plan to do, good luck.

Last edited:
Years
  • Age 44
  • Seen Nov 22, 2021
Huh, a lot of unexpected sass recently for just trying to help out...

Regardless, I think you should keep what I said in mind, even if you are making the hack. If you go forward with only the solution you found in mind, you'll get stuck and possibly have to deal with a lot of bugs. As a hacker, it's important to keep various saves and backups and go through your game several times- otherwise the end result could be less than desirable.

Well, whatever you plan to do, good luck.
Not sass, just being direct. But it works fine, all I have to do is leave and re-enter, and it reloads with whatever I changed. It was just locations and dialogue, not any nasty weird scripts, and there isn't any real other solution anyhow. Although you are right about the backups, that can be quite useful.

Regardless, have a good day.

Years
  • Age 34
  • Seen Aug 15, 2016
Nitro ColorResource Alternate Different Magic Stamps?

Hi,

I'm building the foundations of what I hope to be quite the tool for 4th Generation Pokémon games and at the moment I'm working on the file stystem. While doing so I noticed something curious, one of the *.nclr files (Color Resource) has an alternate header stamp; RPCN (Which I guess when read backwards stands for "Nitro Color Palette Resource") as opposed to the usual RLCN header stamp. The file header BOM at 04h is also zeroed out for this file.

I couldn't find any information on this around the internet, all known (to me) sources spoke only of RLCN. So I was wondering if anyone here had come across this before (probably) and could offer an explanation and/or whether or not this is a common theme amongst Nitro Files.

Cheers!

Years
  • Age 27
  • OH
  • Seen Feb 26, 2024
Which file did you find this in? I took a quick search with a hex editor and found it only once in Pokemon Diamond.

Based on what I saw, it looks like a basic NCLR file, but it doesn't have a PCMP section (which isn't in every NCLR file anyway). I'm not sure why the BOM is zero'd out, but it probably behaves like any other little endian one you'll encounter, because that seems to be the only odd thing about it.

So really, if you load like any other NCLR (just ignore the BOM for now), it looks like it should work.

EDIT:

The file is root/data/dp_areawindow.NCLR, right?
Based on the file name alone, it is an NCLR file.

I also took a closer look and I can pretty much guarantee that it is the same as an NCLR file, just with a different magic stamp.

Last edited:
Years
  • Age 34
  • Seen Aug 15, 2016
Ah yes, sorry, the file as you said is at /data/dp_areawindow.NCLR in Pokémon Platinum (I'm guessing rather similar to Diamond). I came to the same conclusion you did based on the presence of the TTLP and the fact that it "seems legit" when opened. The file size seems to have changed also, but none of the offsets are off so this is just a bad header (?).
normal - 228h (552)
other - 220h (544)

Last edited:

Zehn

[color=red][font=Foto Serif]Sacred[/font][/color][
Years
Not sass, just being direct. But it works fine, all I have to do is leave and re-enter, and it reloads with whatever I changed. It was just locations and dialogue, not any nasty weird scripts, and there isn't any real other solution anyhow. Although you are right about the backups, that can be quite useful.

Regardless, have a good day.
your best just having a "safe" room like a Pokemon centre which you will not edit at all and just save in there and leave when you have the new file. This way you wont get stuck inside of something or break an event while trying to move around :)

Years
  • Age 44
  • Seen Nov 22, 2021
your best just having a "safe" room like a Pokemon centre which you will not edit at all and just save in there and leave when you have the new file. This way you wont get stuck inside of something or break an event while trying to move around :)
Yup, that's a good idea. I was just using the players house but as I progress it'll have to change. Center is a good idea.

BlackStorm20x

Content Creator
Years
SOLUTION FOUND! IPS patching works fine, the only problem is if your in the area you changed when you boot up the game, exit and re-enter that area. Woo!

Well, I guess that works. The way most people do it is to save your game, (in-game, not save state,) and then export the battery file. Then, get a clean ROM for the hack, patch the new version, start the hack, then import the battery file. Real simple process, and you don't have to leave the area. This method is probably safer, but which ever seems easier to you. :)

Years
  • Age 27
  • OH
  • Seen Feb 26, 2024
It may be. It may just lack a bit of padding at the end.

I can pretty much guarantee that this exact file appears in all Gen. 4 games, including HG and SS. In all cases, this type of file appears once, and it is only this file. Whatever the case, it works. :/

sonic65101

Johto Champion
Years
  • Age 26
  • USA
  • Seen Mar 12, 2023
Well, I found out with Pokemon Discovery Version, when I tried to patch Version 2.0 to Version 1.8 that patching didn't work, but patching the Version 2.0 UPS file to a clean Pokemon Emerald Version ROM worked. All I needed to do was delete the old patched ROM file and rename the new patched ROM file the same name as the old one, and the save file worked fine with it. But this was with UPS files. I'm not sure if it's the same deal with IPS files.

Back