• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

[PCL] PCL Hunger Games - Won by Majestic Milotics

Sirfetch’d

Welcome to the PCL Hunger Games! This event pits the 4 PCL clans against each other in a series of competitions that their individual members will compete in. Is your clan tough enough to endure the first team tournament since the PCL Championship?

Here's how it works: there will be 6 competitions, and a single person from each clan will compete in each of them. No one may compete in 2 different competitions, so every PCL member will participate—it's a team tournament, after all. Each clan gets to decide who competes in the various competitions, and once everyone has been assigned, the gloves come off! Each competition is not just for first place, but also for second and third place, as the winner of the event will be the clan which has the best average placing in the 6 competitions. In the event of a tie, each clan will nominate a member to play a single ORAS OU game to determine the winner. The winning clan will receive 200 EXP! The runner-up will earn 100 EXP, while the bronze medalist will get 50 EXP.

Guidelines

• Complete your battles on either our battle server or Smogon's. Preferably post the replay in this thread, or do so after the event has ended if you're worried about counterteaming.
    • Poor sportsmanship can you get disqualified. These tournaments are for fun, and luck is a part of the game.
    • Use the Clan Directory thread for identifying Pokemon Showdown usernames and time zones.

Competitions

So what, then, are the competitions that make up the PCL Hunger Games? Feast your eyes:

ORAS OU Showdown: The classic format. The 4 participants will play best of 3 ORAS OU matches in a miniature tournament format.
    ORAS Lower Tier Showdown: This competitions explores the lower depths of ORAS. The 4 participants will play matches in a miniature tournament, with the 3 individual games consisting of ORAS UU, ORAS RU, and ORAS NU.
    Old Generation OU Showdown: Past generations had some pretty snazzy metagames. The 4 participants will play best of 3 matches in a miniature tournament, with the 3 individual games consisting of ADV OU, DPP OU, and BW2 OU.
    ORAS Little Cup Showdown: Cute Paws! The 4 participants will play best of 3 ORAS Little Cup matches in a miniature tournament format.
    ORAS Battle Factory Showdown: For those averse to team-building. The 4 participants will play best of 3 ORAS Battle Factory matches in a miniature tournament. Battle Factory is a format on the server that gives players random competitive Pokemon, all from the same tier—will you be able to execute a strong battle plan on the fly?
    ORAS OU Team-Building Showdown: Finally, this is the lone competition that does not feature battling. The 4 participants will each build on ORAS OU team and send it to Castform, who will then send the 4 entries to Anti to be anonymously judged and ranked from 1-4 based on both effectiveness and creativity.

Clan heads are responsible for messaging their rosters (who is competing in each of the events) to Castform by Friday, January 8th at 11:59 EST. After all 4 clans have sent their rosters, the PCL Hunger Games will commence!

Participants & Brackets

Listed below are the participants and results for each of the competitions. This information will be updated as needed.

Spoiler:

Last edited:

Nah

Years
    • Age 31
    • she/her, they/them
    • Seen today
    Is this event mandatory for all the clans to do?

Anti

return of the king
    Years
  • The event's functionality relies on all four clans doing it, so while I wouldn't say mandatory, I suppose I would be curious why a clan would opt not to do it?

KorpiklaaniVodka

KID BUU PAWAA
    Years
  • No Ubers/AG??????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????

nooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooo

whyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyy

Nah

Years
    • Age 31
    • she/her, they/them
    • Seen today
    The event's functionality relies on all four clans doing it, so while I wouldn't say mandatory, I suppose I would be curious why a clan would opt not to do it?
    Yeah that's sorta what I was getting at. It's not explicitly stated that we have to participate in this, but the way it's set up makes it seem like it doesn't work if everyone's not in it. I just wanted to make sure that that was really the case: that it doesn't work as well without everyone. So I got it now, thanks.

Years
    • Seen Nov 4, 2017
    No Ubers/AG??????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????

You can still use Exploud and Iron tail Mence, don't be sad

Sirfetch’d

Just a reminder that these are due in 3 days!

Anti

return of the king
    Years
  • No Ubers/AG??????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????

Well, Ubers wasn't even included in SPL this year, presumably because it's a bland tier. It was taken out of this because I wanted tiers that let people make/steal teams with more variety than Ubers provides. I made the executive decision to not include a tier that even I don't want to watch, and I watch LC/DOU replays sometimes...

Anything Goes is terrible and I didn't want to subject anyone to it.

(Don't know if you wanted an explanation, but here it is.)

Anti

return of the king
    Years
  • This isn't a discussion topic about what events were chosen (so this will be the end of this topic), but the fact that Anything Goes has a substantially larger playerbase on Showdown than actual tiers that aren't intentionally cancerous is reflective of how little Showdown popularity matters in making an event like this.

These are just the launch events, which were chosen to blend fun and competitiveness. There will be more Offseason events over the course of the next few months, and one of them will probably be Ubers, assuming more people than just you want to play it.

Sirfetch’d

Okay guys! Rosters are in and the first round of the PCL Hunger Games is underway! Here are the randomized matchups for the first round:

ORAS OU Showdown:

Castform vs Noa-Tan
    Archy vs Wiicked

ORAS Lower Tier Showdown:

Spartacus vs Cheshire Cat
    Nolafus vs THE Sandwich

Old Generation OU Showdown:

KorpiklaaniVodka vs wolf
    Emboar vs Punkysaur

ORAS Little Cup Showdown:

Nah vs Christos
    Dragon vs Omicron

ORAS Battle Factory Showdown:

Golgari vs aeternum
    Hopeless Masquerade vs Nakuzami

ORAS Teambuilding-Showdown:

Black Magic: R.F.
    Ghosts of Perdition: acatfrommars
    Majestic Milotic: Syndrome (mercenary)
    Team Orb: srinator

The deadline for these matches and the team-building exercises is on Tuesday, January 19th. The next round will be posted then and the judging for the team-building competition will also take place during that week. Make sure to schedule your matches promptly and post all replays in this thread. Good luck guys and have fun!

Years
    • he/him
    • Seen today
    To those in the Old Generation OU Showdown, don't forget that KG has a Q&A thread that could be very useful for you. He will most likely be unavailable in a little over a week from now, so be sure to take advantage of it. This is pretty relevant to everyone as PCL will be having more events related to old generations in the future.

Years
    • She/Her, It/Its
    • Seen today
    A question regarding the team-building competition: as soon as the deadline is reached, does a new one start where we have to build a new team?

It doesn't say so, which is why I'd rather ask beforehand.

Sirfetch’d

A question regarding the team-building competition: as soon as the deadline is reached, does a new one start where we have to build a new team?

It doesn't say so, which is why I'd rather ask beforehand.

No the Team-Building competition is a one round event. Judging will take place during the rest of the tournament.

Years
    • he/him
    • Seen today
    To those in ORAS Lower Tier Showdown or Old Genernation OU Showdown: you must complete three battles in each of the specified formats, instead of picking one format for all three battles. Lots of people are getting confused about that so I wanted to clarify it.

This requires a lot of team building, so contact Castform before the deadline if you need more time to make your teams and complete your match. We'd like to avoid delays if possible, though.

Nah

Years
    • Age 31
    • she/her, they/them
    • Seen today
    Lost to Christos 0-2 in Little Cup

Replays were being a little weird so this is the only one I got:
    http://replay.pokemonshowdown.com/pokecommunity-lc-203535

Spoiler:

edit: ok apparently Christos was able to get both of the replays

Back