• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

Persona 5 - Trailer here!

Dragon

lover of milotics
    Years
    Persona 5's official first trailer has been released!

Based on this trailer, what do you think of the game so far?

Hm, it does resemble artwork from a game called Catherine, and it looks like we'll be able to do some sneakin' around! (Solid Snake style?! Hmmmm).

Last edited:
    Years
    Looks like they brought back characters carrying guns in addition to their usual weapons and also demons as enemies in addition to Shadows. That'll be fun.

I remember they mentioned a long time ago that they would be using the Catherine engine for P5, so that's probably why they look so similar.

Bounsweet

Fruit Pokémon
    Years
    • Seen Sep 17, 2018
    My need for this game is off the charts out of this world strong ohhh my god.

The black cat is the coolest thing since sliced bread, too.

but lol looks like we're not getting a playable female character again. k.

Satoshi Ookami

Memento Mori
    Years
    P5 hype even here!
    YES!

I remember they mentioned a long time ago that they would be using the Catherine engine for P5, so that's probably why they look so similar.
    On the contrary. They wanted to avoid using Catherine engine.
    Yet, I'm pretty sure they did use it because that is clearly Catherine base =)

Junko seems plausible for main girl and the MC is hell of a protag. Didn't expect that after the first pictures =D

Dragon

lover of milotics
    Years
    Junko seems plausible for main girl and the MC is hell of a protag. Didn't expect that after the first pictures =D

Funny you've mentioned that:

Persona 5 - Trailer here!

thedestinedblade

Radiant Cool Boy
    Years
    Is the MC Kaitou Kid? That's the first thing that came to mind at the beginning of the trailer. Looks like things are gonna get even more ridiculous (in a good way) We also go from rural Inaba to a lively looking metropolis, much to my liking.

Can't wait. :)

Candy

[img]http://i.imgur.com/snz4bEm.png[/img]
    Years
    The trailer looks awesome! MC reminds me of Lupin and Kaitou Kid. Liking it so far.

This might be the perfect time for me to actually finish the previous Persona games haha imalazybastard

Dragon

lover of milotics
    Years
    New Persona 5 details:

The protagonist is a second-year high school student, who transfers to the city during the spring (around the time of the start of a new school year in Japan.) He'll move into a coffee shop owned by acquaintances of his parents.

The game starts out in Shibuya, but the stage is set in various parts of Tokyo.
    This is a vague hint, but for what it's worth, the protagonist is in a situation where, if he doesn't fight, something bad will happen to him in the future. The part of the recent trailer that showed him imprisoned was a symbol for a "prison of mind".

The dungeon that was shown in the trailer was not automatically-generated, and the story will have various main places that are suitable for a challenge to a phantom thief with all kinds of stages and gimmicks. However, this doesn't mean there won't be any auto-generated elements in game.
    There will be some sort of Social Link-like feature in Persona 5.
    The protagonist's first exclusively usable Persona is named "Arsène". This is likely derived from the famous phantom thief, Arsène Lupin.

In previous titles, the Persona summoning scene had the Japanese onomatopoeia of "カッ" (kka) which is something often used to depict a flash or clicking sound. In Persona 5, it's "ブチッ" (buchi) which is a snapping sound (either physically or mentally).

Looks promising!

Yukari

There companies go again, making me sad that I don't have a PS4. ;~;

It's looks promising though.

Years
    • Seen May 28, 2019
    You should be fine if you have a PS3. Development started on the PS3 and the port to PS4 was only a recent addition, so I really doubt you'd miss much for not going PS4 instead. (Like, probably just a difference in resolution and framerate? Hell maybe not even the latter.)

Yukari

Yeah, don't have one of those either. ;~;

I'm behind the times, I know.

Years
    • Seen Oct 24, 2018
    Getting started with MegaTen Series

Hi there! I've been wanting to get started with the MegaTen VG series (Shin Megami Tensei) for some time now, but I don't really know where to begin... every time I look for some reviews, most of the games seem pretty high rated and praised, but I know they can have some challenging difficulty, so the real question is: wich one is a good place to start getting into the series?
    Maybe some of you could point me in the right direction, it doesn't have to be the ultimate MegaTen experience, I'm looking to get comfortable with the basic mechanics of the franchise without being overwhelmed with the more complex stuff... and if possible, it would be nice if I don't have to grind a lot (at least at the beggining of the game)
    I've read that the Persona games are pretty approachable, should I start over there?

Satoshi Ookami

Memento Mori
    Years
    Persona games are approachable but... you would start with spin-off...
    That's not really the best possible start since you want to start MegaTen specially...
    Maybe starting with Devil Survivor could be better to get a better feel of real MegaTen.

As for grinding... hm... you won't be freed from that in any MegaTen xD

Years
    • Seen Oct 24, 2018
    Persona games are approachable but... you would start with spin-off...
    That's not really the best possible start since you want to start MegaTen specially...
    Maybe starting with Devil Survivor could be better to get a better feel of real MegaTen.

As for grinding... hm... you won't be freed from that in any MegaTen xD

I can live with some grinding, if the combat is entertaining enough xD that's what kept me from the Persona series, I wanted to start with something closer to the 'main' series before getting into those. Devil Survivor looks interesting

machomuu

Stuck in Hot Girl Summer
    Years
    that's what kept me from the Persona series
    So you don't like the gameplay of Persona? Which ones?

Because there's a good chance that if you don't like the core gameplay of Persona, a good deal of MegaTen isn't for you. That said, though Devil Survivor can be grindy, it's different enough that you could get into it if you aren't a fan of core MegaTen (being a strategy as it is). I wouldn't really use them to get into the series, as they are quite difficult and rather different, but they're great games Devil Summoner: Raidou Kuzunoha as well, as it's an ARPG.

But other than that, if you haven't actually played a Megami Tensei, you can pretty much start anywhere. Heck, even Persona's fine, there's really no reason to hold off (and if you're worried about them being too far from the main series, don't be. In terms of exploration, Personas 1 and 2 are quite similar to the main games, while 3 and 4 are similar to the later main games in terms of battle). That said, SMT 1 is also a great start, as it has a lot of core staples and generally sets the tone. It's pretty ahead of its time. Though if you do find it archaic, there's SMT3 and 4, the former of which is unforgiving but supposedly fantastic and the latter is the most accessible, cheap currently, and rather forgiving (and grinding thankfully isn't too much of an issue. That said, there is the chance you might not want to go back afterwards, but it all depends on what you like about the series.

Alternative series starters are the Demikids/Devil Children series and the original Devil Summoner game. The link below covers all of these titles rather well, including the Japanese-only, non-translated one. It's good to check out.

https://www.hardcoregaming101.net/megaten/megaten.htm

Years
    • Seen Oct 24, 2018
    So you don't like the gameplay of Persona? Which ones?
    I've never played any of them, I just said that I was afraid that the Persona games were too far from the main series' gameplay (maybe I should have put a comma or something there to make myself clearer xD)
    Thanks for taking the time to write all that, it's quite helpful. I've been wandering several forums with this topic and no one explained the difference in the games that clearly. I've seen many people reccommend SMTIV but I don't own a 3DS, so maybe I'll go for emulated SMT (1) or one of the Personas (since I do own a PSP)

Satoshi Ookami

Memento Mori
    Years
    Heh, why was MegaTen thread connected with Persona 5 thread? o.O

I've never played any of them, I just said that I was afraid that the Persona games were too far from the main series' gameplay (maybe I should have put a comma or something there to make myself clearer xD)
    Thanks for taking the time to write all that, it's quite helpful. I've been wandering several forums with this topic and no one explained the difference in the games that clearly. I've seen many people reccommend SMTIV but I don't own a 3DS, so maybe I'll go for emulated SMT (1) or one of the Personas (since I do own a PSP)
    Well, if you don't mind emulation, then P1 or P2 are good choices =)

Back