• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

Plastic Surgery

Tinhead Bruce

the Neighbour
    Years
    I don't see a problem with it. It's their body. If it makes them feel good, that's great for them. For some people, confidence comes naturally. Others need to have fake boobs to feel good. Whatever works for them.

I agree. It's their money, and it's their problem if they don't like the result. It's not my responsibility to care if they feel bad about their looks, and it's not my job to feel sorry for them if something goes awry. If you really care about how someone else looks, someone who you may not be interacting with day to day, or even if you are, someone other than maybe your spouse, you need to get over yourself. Worry about yourself (I would say worry about yourself first, but frankly it's not your job to worry about others' looks period). Maybe I'm just tired of people actually caring about things that they have no right to care about.

Guillermo

i own a rabbit heh
    Years
    Yeah, I really see no problem with plastic surgery. Who are we to judge someone else for doing something to their body? It doesn't affect us in any way at all. If you want it to make yourself look prettier, I really don't see the point in that to begin with, though. I mean, we're all going to grow old and decay at some point, so why delay the inevitable?

Cherrim

PSA: Blossom Shower theme is BACK ♥
    Years
    I'm actually very surprised at the amount of comments saying "it's their money, they can do what they want with it [and I won't judge]". I expected to be in the vast minority with my post. :|

But anyway, I don't have a strong opinion on plastic surgery. I think I used to but now I don't see it as any different than buying a ton of makeup to cover areas that "need improvement". If someone has the money and will to "fix" something permanently, go for it. :/ It's still money being spent on the economy. And honestly? Not everyone who gets plastic surgery does it frivolously.

And to all those saying "people should feel good in their natural bodies because it's wrong to change that". Yeah, well, they don't. If they did feel good, they wouldn't get plastic surgery. :/ I do feel that other options should be explored first buuuut if it's just the one thing, they have the means to do it, and it fixes some huge self-esteem issue, I don't personally have a problem. It's their life, their body, and their money and their decision to make. I wouldn't judge someone for deciding to eat at McDonald's over going to a health food store. :/ May not be physically best for them in the end but it's their decision and it honestly has nothing to do with me.

(Of course, things like breast reduction or facial reconstruction for those who need it for obvious medical reasons goes without saying--that should be fine and without social stigma no matter what. o_O)

Amaruuk

[span="letter-spacing: -2px;"][b]└──[/b]►[/span]TY
    Years
    • Age 35
    • She/Her
    • Seen May 16, 2024
    And to all those saying "people should feel good in their natural bodies because it's wrong to change that". Yeah, well, they don't.

I just want to point out that my earlier statement about people 'being their natural selves' wasn't meant as 'it's wrong to change it and no one should ever do that'. People will do what people will do, but I'm simply of the opinion that all that stuff is kinda silly.

There's a difference between simply disagreeing with something and thinking of it as something that's 'wrong' or 'unacceptable'.

Cherrim

PSA: Blossom Shower theme is BACK ♥
    Years
    I just want to point out that my earlier statement about people 'being their natural selves' wasn't meant as 'it's wrong to change it and no one should ever do that'. People will do what people will do, but I'm simply of the opinion that all that stuff is kinda silly.

There's a difference between simply disagreeing with something and thinking of it as something that's 'wrong' or 'unacceptable'.
    Ah, that part wasn't directed at you (or anyone specifically). D: (Though I can see how it seems it might've been.) I actually liked your post because you stuck by your opinion that altering the body shouldn't be done rather than (imo, hypocritcally) saying that it's okay to temporarily alter your looks with makeup but it's bad to do permanent changes. :|

I'm kind of pointing my reply more toward the people who outright say that others who have plastic surgery are stupid/silly. I'm fine with those who merely disagree but judging/condemning others for their personal choices (relating to THEIR body/money?)... that ticks me off. :/ What they do can be silly (in one's opinion) but that doesn't outright mean that they ARE silly or that their reasons for doing it are entirely superficial, vapid, or stupid. And that's the vibe I get from a lot of people when this sort of thing comes up.

hiphiphippo

hip hip hurray!
    Years
    Sometimes, we feel the strong desire to alter our appearance and that desire manifests into reality, thus becoming an actual desire for surgery to alter our very appearance or a certain aspect of ourselves.

I'm neutral on this. If someone's not happy with the way that they look, what right do we have to stop them from achieving plastic surgery? Put it this way, if we wanted to look better with facial care products and hair care products, is it not right and/or moral for us to achieve those things as it would if someone were to get plastic surgery?

Sure, plastic surgery is different. With natural care products, you're just altering your appearance, but you're still keeping that same appearance; you're just making a certain aspect of you stand out more. With plastic surgery, these changes become just about permanent, and dare I say, the changes are "fake" because essentially those are not the features that one was born with.

But I guess, if they feel happy that way, then they should.

i agree with this.

i suppose it's fine as long as it's something minor that actually makes the person look better, and the person doesnt go over-the-top
    still, the person should really think it through - see if it'll look good, if it's necessary, and if they'll regret it or not

ANARCHit3cht

Call me Archie!
    Years
    • Seen Sep 25, 2020
    I used to think plastic surgery was wrong... but now... I am okay with it. People could have varied reasons to get plastic surgery. I won't judge them because they didn't like something about their body. There is, however, being excessive about it, and using it for every minor flaw/imperfection. I might actually get it, to make my belly button an innie, if at all possible without making it look really bad. So... yeah. Live and let live.

Aureol

Kanto/Electric-Type Enthusiast
    Years
    I'm kind of pointing my reply more toward the people who outright say that others who have plastic surgery are stupid/silly. I'm fine with those who merely disagree but judging/condemning others for their personal choices (relating to THEIR body/money?)... that ticks me off. :/ What they do can be silly (in one's opinion) but that doesn't outright mean that they ARE silly or that their reasons for doing it are entirely superficial, vapid, or stupid. And that's the vibe I get from a lot of people when this sort of thing comes up.

What are the reasons, then? Plastic surgery says that your body isn't good enough, and I think it's silly to try and "fix" it. What kind of people have surgery? Not those that are confident in the fact that they can live as who they are. Heck, I have an older brother that has almost a third of his face in melted skin because of a house fire, but instead of changing his body he accepted it as a part of who he was.

Now, he's a bit extreme. I hardly expect others in similar situations to accept their melted face and move on, but I do think that those that don't have such abnormalities are really silly. Are they stupid, vain, superficial, etc? No.

I don't think any less of a person that has gone through surgery as far as intelligence and other irrelevant factors. But I do question their confidence and ability to cope with things that might be unfair (such as the way they look). It is their personal decision, but it is also my personal decision in how I view the person and understand their choices (so long as I don't attack them or anything). It's not condemning any more than anyone would condemn others for their decisions: if I decided to work as a janitor for the rest of my life instead of going to college, it's my decision, but others have the right to develop an idea of what kind of person I am, so long as they weren't malicious in any way towards me, and there would be things they would not like to do with me (I probably wouldn't get married easily because I might have trouble making a living, etc.).

Am I gonna go protest against surgery? No. Am I going to harp on people after they have done it? No. Am I going to discourage it before it's too late? Yes.

Amaruuk

[span="letter-spacing: -2px;"][b]└──[/b]►[/span]TY
    Years
    • Age 35
    • She/Her
    • Seen May 16, 2024
    Ah, that part wasn't directed at you (or anyone specifically). D: (Though I can see how it seems it might've been.) I actually liked your post because you stuck by your opinion that altering the body shouldn't be done rather than (imo, hypocritcally) saying that it's okay to temporarily alter your looks with makeup but it's bad to do permanent changes. :|

Ah, I had a feeling it was more of just a general thing (you don't seem the type to single people out), but I had to make sure X3

Yeah, I happen to be fine with who I am, and though there are some things about my appearance I'm not terribly fond of, I can't be bothered to do anything about it (mostly 'cause I find it tedious and not worth the time/money).

Dawn

[span="font-size:180%;font-weight:900;color:#a568f
    Years
    I think there are plenty of valid reasons for it. Perhaps there should be a point where someone asking for plastic surgery can be said no to, such as if they're going overboard.

Billy Mays Barbeque Sauce

Hey Zeltallica!
    Years
    I'm against plastic surgery.

In my religion, we are all created in God's image, and we are all beautiful in his eyes. I've seen women get breast implants, and they just....they are just nauseating. To think a woman actually takes her breast size seriously. Not to mention the other gooey, plastic-y things you can put into yourself.

Sorry, a bit of a Christian moment.

Yuukihime

I'm allergic to people.
    Years
    Reconstructive surgery is good, or something that's otherwise necessary for one's health, but if all one wants is per example a bigger pair of breasts then I'm not really seeing the point.

This.

If you feel the need to enlarge your breasts then it just means your not probably very happy with yourself in the first place :/

Her

Years
    • Seen today
    I simply see it as if it's used to make them feel better about themselves or for health reasons, go ahead. No one is stopping you, provided everything goes right, it's for a better you.

Guillermo

i own a rabbit heh
    Years
    I'm against plastic surgery.

In my religion, we are all created in God's image, and we are all beautiful in his eyes. I've seen women get breast implants, and they just....they are just nauseating. To think a woman actually takes her breast size seriously. Not to mention the other gooey, plastic-y things you can put into yourself.

Sorry, a bit of a Christian moment.
    Believing someone that may or may not exist doesn't help you in real life, really. It doesn't. You might believe God thinks everyone is beautiful, and that's great, I have nothing against that, but the fact of the matter is that whether he does or not, it's not going to get you a job, supply a family and overall make a better life for the individual.

Billy Mays Barbeque Sauce

Hey Zeltallica!
    Years
    Believing someone that may or may not exist doesn't help you in real life, really. It doesn't. You might believe God thinks everyone is beautiful, and that's great, I have nothing against that, but the fact of the matter is that whether he does or not, it's not going to get you a job, supply a family and overall make a better life for the individual.

If you need a better looking body part to get a job or marry, you need a different job or boyfriend.

Reconstructive surgery is fine. And liposuction, if you really need it.

Guillermo

i own a rabbit heh
    Years
    If you need a better looking body part to get a job or marry, you need a different job or boyfriend.

Reconstructive surgery is fine. And liposuction, if you really need it.
    Okay, your face was severely burnt in a fire. You apply for a job where you're going to be around and civilising with people. Are you going to get it? God no. Humans are too cruel to allow that.

No one should *need* Liposuction. People shouldn't allow themselves to get that big in the first place. Besides, if you got Lipo, then you would have stretchy skin afterward and then you would need to get that cut and stapled.

I HEART MEGA HITT

ruuuki ♥
    Years
    I think Plastic surgery should be available to people who have birth defects. It can benefit them because they may have something that is affecting their life so plastic surgery would help the fix it. D:

But to get plastic surgery just to make your nose smaller or increase your breast size... to me, is a way of trying to get unneeded attention. There really isn't any reason for it.

Ayselipera

If you have the money and you want it then sure, knock yourself out. I mean yes I have seen people who have gotten plastic surgery who didn't really need it, but in the end they came out happy and I think that's the most important part of all of this. While I know it's not the best idea to build confidence through strictly looks I realize that that's how most people think and I don't think that will change anytime soon.

Also their are times when plastic surgery is essentially needed. They're people who have disfigurements who truly need it. Which I hope no one is against. Probably one of the more controversial uses of plastic surgery would be for sex changes, but I don't have a problem with that either. I would imagine there is a lot of pain involved with feeling as though you are living within the wrong body and like I've said before if the turn out is happiness then so be it.

Years
    • Seen May 24, 2010
    I'm strongly against plastic surgery, but if someone has the money to do it, it's not like it's goiung to affect me personally, I just wouldn't have it for myself. It does make me cringe though when you get little girls saving pocket money up for boob jobs or whatever. Todays world is too image obsessed and it's amazing how much better you can look just by changing your hair and clothes without having to take drastic measures.

Back