• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

Platinum OU RMT: Threw the burning sands.

J-Dubb

Scizor Master
    Years
    • Seen Dec 15, 2009
    Ok this is my first platinum RMT so I figured i'd get some sugestions here before I try to actually breed them because it will make things easier if I need to switch a pokemon etc.

Team at first glance:

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    So lets begin

Tyranitar (M) @ Lum Berry
    Ability: Sand Stream
    EVs: 252 HP/38 Atk/36 Def/184 SDef
    Careful nature (+SDef, -SAtk)
    - Taunt
    - Stealth Rock
    - Fire Punch
    - Crunch

Tyranitar in my opinion makes for a great lead because it can mess up alot of common leads and set up it's own Stealth Rock's. The idea is to sub on a pokemon if it's slow or is going to try somthing such as put Tyranitar to sleep and lum berry helps if it outspeeds me. Then I have the option to set up SR if I expect a switch or attack with fire punch or crunch. Crunch deals with Azelf and Fire punch deals with metagross or bronzong or Earthquake can get infernape and weavile. leaning towards fire punch due to all the scizors about
    ---

Scizor (M) @ Choice Band
    Ability: Technician
    EVs: 40 HP/252 Atk/40 Def/178 Spd
    Adamant nature (+Atk, -SAtk)
    - U-turn
    - Bullet Punch
    - Superpower
    - Pursuit

Speaking of Scizor I had to put one on my team seeing as he has been a favorite of mine sing Gold/Silver. Scizor really got a beef up in platinum and have used that to my advantage for my team. I tampered with his Ev's a bit seeing as maxing his speed didn't really help the big red bug. With the new Ev's he still gets his a smaller speed boosts but allows me to beef up defences more. Using ths standered choice baned set because it is just that good. U-turn to scout, bullet punch for priority and STAB, Superpower for T-tar and puts as big of a dent in magnazone as possible, and pursuit for pokemon switching out.
    ---

Vaporeon (M) @ Leftovers
    Ability: Water Absorb
    EVs: 188 HP/252 Def/70 Spd
    Bold nature (+SDef, -Atk)
    - Protect
    - Ice Beam
    - Surf
    - Wish

Who else agrees the platinums Vaporeon sprite>>>>>>>>D/P Vaporeon sprite? I love the little aqua dog wish support for my team and bulky water to boot. Might use AA seeing as it raies my defense making him even harder to kill and seeing as there are less dragons to worry about (i.e Garchomp) but then again might be good to keep on if my Gliscor was to fall before him.
    ---

Infernape (M) @ Life Orb
    Ability: Blaze
    EVs: 172 Atk/192 Spd/144 SAtk
    Naive nature (+Spd, -SDef)
    - Stone Edge
    - Flamethrower
    - Close Combat
    - Grass Knot

Fire Monkeys FTW. this is the burning part of my teams name, Infernape can sweep alot of pokemon unprepaired for him and with a very small modification to the standered mixape I think he even better off. I put Thunderpunch on Infernape because with I can throw Infernape in KO'ing it. only problem is the bulky set that will KO Infernape if I tried using T-pnch so I have...
    ---

Gengar (M) @ Choice Scarf
    Ability: Levitate
    EVs: 6 Def/252 Spd/252 SAtk
    Modest nature (+Spd, -Atk)
    - Trick
    - Shadow Ball
    - Thunderbolt
    - Focus Blast

Gengar!!! with a choice scaf on Gengar he will outspeed every pokemon he faces in OU. Trick can be used to mess with blisseys who seem to like switching in on Gengar and I can t-bolt Gyarodos if Infernapes fails to do so.
    ---

Gliscor (M) @ Leftovers
    Ability: Sand Veil
    EVs: 42 HP/252 Atk/216 Spd
    Impish nature (+Def, -SAtk)
    - Swords Dance
    - Roost
    - Stone Edge
    - Earthquake

Last but not least I have gliscor. with T-tar starting off the game with a sandstorm sand vail helps with his evasion making him a pain to take on. With a Sword dance he even more deadly. Stone edge can take out Salamence if need be and Gyarodos (ya i'm ready for the water snake). The Ev's allow Gliscor to outspeed lucario unless it scarfed and throw in a SD before he can ice punch me then EQ him to death.

Overall I think it a good rounded team 3-6 are imnune to sand storm and I belive that they cover each other's weaknesses well. I can see bulky waters maybe being a problem so any suggestions on on countering them better are helpful as well as any suggestion.

Thanks in advance

Last edited:

Pokedra

Retired
    Years
    • Seen Aug 21, 2016
    Use Smogon's EV spread for Scizor. 252 HP / 252 Atk / 4 Spe. Still gives you quite a bit of defence =/

Yucky Mixape EV spread well, 64 Atk/252 SpAtk/192 Spe is the way to go and use HP Ice over Thunderpunch to take out Dragons.

I'll drop by later if I find anything else :)

Dark Azelf

☽𖤐☾𓃶𐕣
    Years
    • Seen Jun 11, 2024
    Vappy wants Bold, calm really doesnt help it.

Infernape@Life Orb
    172 ATT / 144 SP.ATT / 192 SPEED
    Naive Nature
    - Overheat / Fire Blast
    - Stone Edge
    - Grass Knot
    - Close Combat

Try this set. T-Punch doesnt do much. Stone Edge however will OHKO both Gyarados AND Mence after switching in on SR and Overheat, Tentacruel is also 2hko'd by SE with SR up. This particular Ape set is harder to wall than standard mixape and it 2hko's standard vappy with CC.

Like the Tar set, but needs more Taunt >> sub imo, counter is pretty neat too. Taunt lols at slow walls trying to set up and counter can smack around hippowdon and swampert etc.

As for Gliscor im against giving it such a defensive spread, ive had much more success with this.

Gliscor@Life Orb
    42 HP / 252 ATT / 216 SPEED
    Adamant Nature
    Trait : Hyper Cutter
    - Stone Edge
    - Eathquake
    - Roost
    - Swords Dance

This set OHKO's MAX HP / MAX DEF vappy after a swords dance with SR up which alone is one hack of a good reason to use it and the power increase is VERY noticable. Still outruns adamant Lucario (Jolly can be revenged with gengar anyway).

Biggest problems, no Rock resist which means Tyranitar will be a problem you could put something >> your own tar (the most replaceable member imo) to deal with it, Swampert or something might work and you can predict to let scizor take crunches and pert stone edges.

However the bigger problem is Scizor, SD Scizor is a royal pain to you, Infernape takes like ~80% from a SD LO BP and the rest of your team doesnt stand much of a chance. >.< A version of Zapdos could work or some some sort of Rotom >> either gar or vappy imo.

Yeah, just some things to consider here.

J-Dubb

Scizor Master
    Years
    • Seen Dec 15, 2009
    Vappy wants Bold, calm really doesnt help it.

Infernape@Life Orb
    172 ATT / 144 SP.ATT / 192 SPEED
    Naive Nature
    - Overheat / Fire Blast
    - Stone Edge
    - Grass Knot
    - Close Combat

Try this set. T-Punch doesnt do much. Stone Edge however will OHKO both Gyarados AND Mence after switching in on SR and Overheat, Tentacruel is also 2hko'd by SE with SR up. This particular Ape set is harder to wall than standard mixape and it 2hko's standard vappy with CC.

Like the Tar set, but needs more Taunt >> sub imo, counter is pretty neat too. Taunt lols at slow walls trying to set up and counter can smack around hippowdon and swampert etc.

As for Gliscor im against giving it such a defensive spread, ive had much more success with this.

Gliscor@Life Orb
    42 HP / 252 ATT / 216 SPEED
    Adamant Nature
    Trait : Hyper Cutter
    - Stone Edge
    - Eathquake
    - Roost
    - Swords Dance

This set OHKO's MAX HP / MAX DEF vappy after a swords dance with SR up which alone is one hack of a good reason to use it and the power increase is VERY noticable. Still outruns adamant Lucario (Jolly can be revenged with gengar anyway).

Biggest problems, no Rock resist which means Tyranitar will be a problem you could put something >> your own tar (the most replaceable member imo) to deal with it, Swampert or something might work and you can predict to let scizor take crunches and pert stone edges.

However the bigger problem is Scizor, SD Scizor is a royal pain to you, Infernape takes like ~80% from a SD LO BP and the rest of your team doesnt stand much of a chance. >.< A version of Zapdos could work or some some sort of Rotom >> either gar or vappy imo.

Yeah, just some things to consider here.

Ok i'll note those changes on Gliscor as well as Infernape. and u said my weaknesses are scizor and t-tar well what if i changed my t-tar to

T-tat @ focus sash
    same ev's

Taunt
    Counter
    Fire Punch
    Crunch

counter takes out t-tar and fire punch for scizor plus focus sash saves me from SD scizor superpower?

Dark Azelf

☽𖤐☾𓃶𐕣
    Years
    • Seen Jun 11, 2024
    Ok i'll note those changes on Gliscor as well as Infernape. and u said my weaknesses are scizor and t-tar well what if i changed my t-tar to

T-tat @ focus sash
    same ev's

Taunt
    Counter
    Fire Punch
    Crunch

counter takes out t-tar and fire punch for scizor plus focus sash saves me from SD scizor superpower?

No because that isnt a scizor counter. ._.

Years
    On Scizor, go AT LEAST 32 HP/252 Atk/224 Spe to outspeed Adamant Tyranitar.
    Um, Speed's good for outrunning Cress, etc on the SD Set. You can BP TTar with this, anyway. I prefer the extra bulk. Trust me, it makes a difference.

Lol, it'll just cop a BP anyway.

maybe u should replace scizor with an electric type like Vire to have a bulky water killer
    Vire is pretty sad. Besides, D_A's Gliscor can OHKO Vappy. If you really need something, Zapdos provides a Surefire Scizor counter, among other things.

J-Dubb - Vappy doesn't have much use for Acid Armour. It's a waste. Just run Protect.

J-Dubb

Scizor Master
    Years
    • Seen Dec 15, 2009

:( ok any opinions on a better lead pokemon that can counter Scizor. I was thinknig of maybe using a weavile over T-tar however I know he can't counter Scizor

If you really need something, Zapdos provides a Surefire Scizor counter, among other things.

J-Dubb - Vappy doesn't have much use for Acid Armour. It's a waste. Just run Protect.

Ok i'll go with Ice beam over Acid Armour and i'll look into a possible Zapdos set

Edit: after taking some time and looking at some options I was thinknig this might be a good Idea for a lead

Alakazam @ leftovers
    Timid
    24 HP / 252 SpA / 16 SpD / 216 Spe

Substiute
    Encore
    HP Fire
    Signal Beam

this way he outspeeds scizor and can sub to take pursuit damage they would try and can survive a Bullet punch (If i'm incorrect please let me know) and HP fire to take it out. Also signale beam Ko's Azelf leads. Encore messes with pokemon who try to boost stats and messes up things such as breloom or BP teams.Also iwth inner focus ability all the fake out users are usless.

Last edited:

StrickeN

The mighty force will Strike
    Years
    • Seen Oct 7, 2010
    On ScarfGengar it goes without saying, you won't revenge a Mence unless you have HPIce. I'd replace focus blast or Trick with it tbh. Focus Blast is really only for blissey and some steels anyway. Though with steels these days running bullet punch, Focus Blast can easily be replaced.

Dark Azelf

☽𖤐☾𓃶𐕣
    Years
    • Seen Jun 11, 2024
    On ScarfGengar it goes without saying, you won't revenge a Mence unless you have HPIce. I'd replace focus blast or Trick with it tbh. Focus Blast is really only for blissey and some steels anyway. Though with steels these days running bullet punch, Focus Blast can easily be replaced.

And tar and tran and Lucario. >_< Honestly Gengar 100% NEEDS a fighting move. It also provides unresisted coverage with STAB Shadow Ball.

Mence isnt really a problem, Gar can still nail it with STAB Shadow Ball and Scizor can also nail it with BP, both should be more than fine to remove it with both SR and SS up.

Also what ever you do, for the love of god dont use Zam to counter scizor. Every single move scizor packs annihilates it. It also outspeeds you with Bullet Punch. In addition its also a bad lead because it loses to most of them and without Psychic its even more lol. =/

Check my previous post i gave you some Scizor counters, you dont need to replace tar since it actually does something productive.

ME said:

Last edited:

Samson

no, i don't know milk drink
    Years
    i don't really get taunt on a leading tar. the minute it comes into battle, it's going to be forced to attack until they bring in a counter like scizor or gliscor where you will either attack, set rocks or switch out anyway. it comes in handy end game against skarm, bliss and snorlax but that's about it.

Back