• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

4th Gen Platinum Sprites....

BeachBoy

S P A R K of madness
Years
  • I'm personally a huge fan of the Platinum sprites, I practically love every one of them. They added some excellent poses such as Weavile, and overall look much more alive. Everyone has their own opinion, though.

@ msdfabio; Actually, you're a bit incorrect about Scyther, they have the same pose, definitely, but look at it closer. They revamped that by lil' bits. (I'm refering to the pose with the blade across the chest)

However, I agree with the previous sentiment that they should have upgraded all the sprites. That would have been a smarter move. :[
    As much as I would've wanted the same thing, think about it, they have to leave room for the next games. *walks off whistling*

The Wave

Something to believe in....
    Years
    • Seen Aug 25, 2016
    am I the only one who loves all sprites if you combine the diamond/pearl sprites with the platinum sprites?

*runs from angry mob*
    *stops*

oh noes didn't readed the second page. -_-'

Last edited:

Lord Yawgmoth

Lord of all Phyrexia
    Years
  • Palkia and Dialga's sprites got a major tune-up. They look more frightening then just...chilling there.
    And Gyarados looks insane, which is always nice. =3

RileyVace

Frogs and Dragons, baby
    Years
    • Seen Nov 21, 2019
    Some are awful, can't think of an example but I saw that some prites are considerably smaller than their Diamond and Pearl counterparts!

But the Rotom formes, are awesome I WANT A FRIDGE

Mitchman

Banned
    Years
  • Really now some are a bit meh and they could have done reworking to all 493 but otherwise i found em to be pure coolness. Especially munchlax. His is my favorite.

Flex-Mon

The Key is in here <3...
    Years
    • Seen Nov 19, 2008
    Oh my good God. Really? Really?

Brb, sneezing because I'm allergic to lameness.
    o
    Lamo!! that was to funny.

I think the sprites are ok I would'nt go as far to say and say that they are terrible but theres always room for improvement in anything.

NeoZX

◊Change the Future◊
    Years
  • Diamond and Pearl's sprites are kinda wrecked in Platinum.
    THE GOOD:
    -Garchomp
    -Infenape
    -Purugly
    -Lucario
    -Croagunk
    -Dialga
    -Palkia
    -Rhyperior
    -Magmortar
    -Weavile

THE BAD:
    -Budew
    -Piplup
    -Hippowodon
    -Skuntank
    -Shellos (Both Sides)

And that's what I think about it.
    So it's 10/15
    Garchomp's sprites are kick-ass!

Years
  • Some of them are definitely improvements. See: Magnezone, Electivire, Magmortar, Togekiss, etc.
    While others... not so much:
    See: Gyarados.

Of course in the end, it's all personal preference, but for the most part I think Platinum made the sprites much more "Pokémon-like". They seem more like creatures now more than figures; if that even makes sense.

Mitchman

Banned
    Years
  • Yes it does. They look like emotioned beast who can now kick your arse and tear it apart insted of dull 2D sprites that look very harmless.

Blue Nocturne

Not THAT one.
    Years
    • Age 28
    • Seen Mar 6, 2013
    I think some of the new sprites really ephasise the characters traits.
    Pearls new animation adds to his stupidity and obnoxiousness.
    like whats already been said, the sprites add to Dialga and Palkias viciousness.
    other sprites have also been drastically improved.

But when you open a door you get a draft. Some have been ruined.

DDD'SSCEPTILE

GekkouKitsune : Shiny Master
    Years
  • I love Roserade's new sprite and a few others, but that's it. Gyarados' sprite was amazing beforehand, now they've stretched it out and it doesn't look right. I don't like the new Platinum sprites as a while and they didn't bother to fix some of the weirder ones like Charizard but instead "tried" to "improve" ones that didn't need improving, I.E. Ninetales, but it doesn't matter to me.

What I REALLY don't like is the battle attack animations, they've been "revamped", "new", whatever you want to call it.
    It's like they're all infused with some sort of black and gold BS and are all smoky-ish. Really, what's going on here? I don't like it.

The more I think about it the more I want to just keep using Diamond as my main game and just use Platinum for the tutors. =\

Candace

Beauty Trainer
    Years
  • I actually agree that most of the Platinum sprites are hideously ugly

It doesn't mean I won't play the game, but... Did they HAVE to update them in such weird and akward angles? I'm especially talking about Vespiquen, Sneasel, Pikachu... but the list goes on. Sometimes the sprites are very disproportioned, too heavily outlined or too faded in the outlines and the coloring is flat. There's really no consistency. It almost looks childlike, at times

I mean... that just makes me sad:
    Platinum Sprites....
    vs.
    Platinum Sprites....

= An improvement !?

Years
    • Seen May 28, 2016
    Oh my good God. Really? Really?

Brb, sneezing because I'm allergic to lameness.

lol be nice lol I actually like the platinum sprites more. I like the new Riolu, vaporeon, and machop if I'm not mistaken.

Pysncrono

Spriter / UU Battler
    Years
  • How in the world can you not like the Infernape, Dialga, Palkia, Darkrai, Flareon, Glaceon, Staraptor, Luxray, Weavile, Garchomp ... ....
    *snore*
    huh? where was I?

But yeah, some like Floatzel Budew and Skuntank ar horrible...

Back