• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

Help Thread: Plot, Planning & Review Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.
Years
    • they/them
    • Seen Apr 19, 2024
    You guys are so cute :)

Hm, true, some kind of roleplay sample perhaps. And I should probably do more than just mention the pokemorph part. It's hard when you don't want to give away too much beforehand, but if pokemorphing is what could lure players in, I should explain it better.

... Actually, can you call it pokemorphing when you mean that humans conpletelt transform into pokemon? And back. At will, usually. Or should it just be called transformation instead?

Thanks, I really appreciate your thoughts!

Years
  • Damnit Doctor!

I'll be trying to join that but I don't know if I'll be able to handle it :/

My main concern is that we don't really know the mechanics of pokemorphing or what we can do when morphed. I'm also curious about how abilitites, moves, evolution and mega-evolution are handled by the RP if at all.

Nidoking76

Not splitting the party
    Years
  • Okay, so I'm thinking of an RP to make. When I'm done explaining it, can you please help me:
    Get a good title
    Make a map
    Help me with anything else that ya think needs fixing.

Anyway...

The plot is that a team of pokemon thieves decide to make a new group of Pokemon to do their bidding. For this gang to create these Pokemon, they make a new type of Pokemon called "Super Minds". These Super Minds have an incredible intelligence, or an IQ of 346. These Pokemon, however, use their intelligence to escape. Of the 594 Super Minds that were made, 163 escaped, and the rest stayed. 20 of these Pokemon decided to sneak into the labs where they give people Pokemon. These 20 were the 20 starters, or Bulbasaur, Squirtle, Charmander, Chikorita, Cyndaquil, Totodile, Treecko, Torchic, Mudkip, Turtwig, Chimchar, Piplup, Snivy, Tepig, Oshawott, Chespin, Fennekin, Froakie, Pikachu, and Eevee. Meanwhile, 20 new trainers awaited there new Pokemon...

Years
    • they/them
    • Seen Apr 19, 2024
    Okay, so I'm thinking of an RP to make. When I'm done explaining it, can you please help me:
    Get a good title
    Make a map
    Help me with anything else that ya think needs fixing.

Anyway...

The plot is that a team of pokemon thieves decide to make a new group of Pokemon to do their bidding. For this gang to create these Pokemon, they make a new type of Pokemon called "Super Minds". These Super Minds have an incredible intelligence, or an IQ of 346. These Pokemon, however, use their intelligence to escape. Of the 594 Super Minds that were made, 163 escaped, and the rest stayed. 20 of these Pokemon decided to sneak into the labs where they give people Pokemon. These 20 were the 20 starters, or Bulbasaur, Squirtle, Charmander, Chikorita, Cyndaquil, Totodile, Treecko, Torchic, Mudkip, Turtwig, Chimchar, Piplup, Snivy, Tepig, Oshawott, Chespin, Fennekin, Froakie, Pikachu, and Eevee. Meanwhile, 20 new trainers awaited there new Pokemon...
    Just moving this to the planning thread for you!

Also, what you are describing is the background of the RP, the history behind it. But you haven't said yet what will actually happen in the RP: the plot. Will it be a journey-like RP where trainers travel with extra intelligent starters and meet the thieves behind it all eventually?

Nidoking76

Not splitting the party
    Years
  • Just moving this to the planning thread for you!

Also, what you are describing is the background of the RP, the history behind it. But you haven't said yet what will actually happen in the RP: the plot. Will it be a journey-like RP where trainers travel with extra intelligent starters and meet the thieves behind it all eventually?

It will probably be like this:

The RP will start with the players going to get there starters. The players will, obviously, be the 20 lucky/unlucky people who start off with a Super Mind. However, the players will not start off knowing about there intelligence.
    And to make things more interesting, all Pokemon will be able to talk in this.
    ALL Pokemon.

Anywho, the players will start off just doing what the player wants to do: but a short time in, the players will realize that their Pokemon are Super Minds. Then, the plot will unfold. The players will have to find out why they need these Super Minds, and what they are planning to do with them. And most importantly, who is the man/woman/whatever behind this?

Years
    • they/them
    • Seen Apr 19, 2024
    Okay I must say that I like that plot because:

(don't click this if you are in Crossroads!!!)
    Spoiler:

So yeah, as long as you try to keep some mystery for your players I'd say go ahead with your plan! Not sure what you should title your RP. A good name will surely come to you if you think for a while :)

Zero Percent

Loading... Please wait
    Years
  • Here a simple name I came up with.
    Spoiler:

It doesn't roll off the tongue that well, so I don't know how good it would actually be

Years
    • they/them
    • Seen Apr 19, 2024
    Maybe rather just call it "Mind over Matter" or something ^^

aceattorneyweirdgirl

oh heck oh frig im girl now
    Years
    • she/her
    • Seen Jan 28, 2024
    So I come back after a two year or so hiatus to find this handy-dandy thread after I already pitched my concept in the normal discussion thread. Oops.

Anyway, so it can get more detailed critique I'm reposting my pitch here.
    One day, you arrive home to find a parcel with a Mega Stone that matches one of your pokemon and a keystone (embedded within an accessory of the player's choice), plus a letter telling you to keep them safe.

The next morning, you wake up in a small room in the middle of a deep, thick forest with only a couple of your pokemon and a backpack stocked with supplies (and another letter).

Then you leave the room and work with other players to survive, explore and, ultimately, figure out how you got there. The Mega Stones will figure into the plot, but I'm thinking only after a certain point. 

The letters are going to be pretty important, and part of a slightly more unique mechanic - all players receive the first two, but from that point on they are given out via PM at certain points to players at the GM's discretion, and will build towards the plot in an interesting way.

Years
    • UK
    • Seen Oct 17, 2023
    So I come back after a two year or so hiatus to find this handy-dandy thread after I already pitched my concept in the normal discussion thread. Oops.

Anyway, so it can get more detailed critique I'm reposting my pitch here.

Welcome back :)

One day, you arrive home to find a parcel with a Mega Stone that matches one of your pokemon and a keystone (embedded within an accessory of the player's choice), plus a letter telling you to keep them safe.
    Must all players therefore have a Pokemon ready to mega-evolve? They're all established trainers?

The next morning, you wake up in a small room in the middle of a deep, thick forest with only a couple of your pokemon and a backpack stocked with supplies (and another letter).
    A room in a forest? As in a shed/shack or something? Do these first two letters explain any of this? It may be a good idea to let us know any reasoning behind these early events, assuming it won't really spoil much.

Then you leave the room and work with other players to survive, explore and, ultimately, figure out how you got there. The Mega Stones will figure into the plot, but I'm thinking only after a certain point.
    Survive/explore? Is anything stopping them climbing on a Pokemon and flying/teleporting/surfing home? Are they given a reason to stick around? If the Mega stones don't have a purpose until later maybe it would be better to skip the characters receiving them right at the beginning and tie it in with a later event.

The letters are going to be pretty important, and part of a slightly more unique mechanic - all players receive the first two, but from that point on they are given out via PM at certain points to players at the GM's discretion, and will build towards the plot in an interesting way.
    I love this idea and quirk - adding an air of secrecy and giving players additional information. I don't know how they'll actually be able to use these PM letters to help them, though.

aceattorneyweirdgirl

oh heck oh frig im girl now
    Years
    • she/her
    • Seen Jan 28, 2024
    Must all players therefore have a Pokemon ready to mega-evolve? They're all established trainers?

They'll need a Pokemon able to mega-evolve, yeah. But they won't necessarily have to be established trainers - though it would make little sense for a rookie to wield, say, a Garchomp or Tyranitar, you could choose to play as a character less experienced as a trainer if they had something like Manectric or Mawile - stuff that's likely not as threatening without its Mega.

A room in a forest? As in a shed/shack or something? Do these first two letters explain any of this? It may be a good idea to let us know any reasoning behind these early events, assuming it won't really spoil much.

Exactly - a shack or shed would be something about right. I figure how you wind up there is going to be a significant element of the plot, though that particular detail has yet to be hammered out. The letters definitely won't explain it - they exist mainly for basic, cryptic advice so far.

Survive/explore? Is anything stopping them climbing on a Pokemon and flying/teleporting/surfing home? Are they given a reason to stick around? If the Mega stones don't have a purpose until later maybe it would be better to skip the characters receiving them right at the beginning and tie it in with a later event.

Here we go, now we've got the stuff I was hoping to tease out of my half-written concept - plot holes! Nice to be able to have those addressed before I end up submitting anything. I figure the forest and surrounding areas be ridiculously expansive, if there's even any civilization at all to find. Teleporters, on the other hand, are tricky - that'll need some thought, thanks to the way they work in the games (bringing you back to the last Pokemon Centre visited implies you can teleport anywhere you've been to prior). As for motivation? I'd completely forgotten about that point, thanks for bringing it up.

In regards to the mega stones, perhaps it would be best to set them up like X and Y did - getting the mega stone at the beginning and obtaining the keystone necessary to trigger the evolution further down the line. I do want to draw at least some attention to them from the beginning, as otherwise it would feel slightly pointless requiring a mega-evolvable Pokemon in SUs.

I love this idea and quirk - adding an air of secrecy and giving players additional information. I don't know how they'll actually be able to use these PM letters to help them, though.

Thanks for the compliment! The letters are going to take a little effort to stop them falling flat as a concept. Hopefully I can make them work to the point that one player knowing something others don't (or at least their characters) actually makes a significant impact on the RP.

This whole 'mystery' concept is going to need a lot of forethought and planning - I don't want it to go in the direction of Lost and end up making half of my resolutions on the spot.

Last edited:
    Years
    • they/them
    • Seen Apr 19, 2024
    One thing is a fact - I've always had too many RP ideas spinning around. Can't do them all auugh. Anyways, on top of the thing I posted here a while back, I came up with this in ten minutes the other day. When I think up RPs, I tend to write an opening post for it as I go because it helps me flesh out the idea and mechanics rather than just scribble things down unorganizedly somewhere. (is that I word, I think not but)

Is this thing clear enough to you guys? I feel like there could be so much more explained about the setting but it's tedious to write paragraphs and paragraphs about details in how the world works when we could iron those things out as we go... or not?

Also I'm not sure if the actual plot for the RP is natural enough. Would these affected pokémon (the players) really come up with the idea of going to search for the terrorist themselves or would I have to nudge them somehow with an NPC giving them a mission or something?

Spoiler:

Years
    • Seen Jan 31, 2023
    So I have had this idea for an RP for quite a while, called Wolf Story. It's sort of Disney inspired (the closest I can say is probably Lion King-esque). Pretty much it takes place in the Alaskan wilderness, and you play as a Grey Wolf pup. It would be sandbox I guess, where your wolf gets into mischief, hunt, adventures, etc. Then as the RP progresses, your wolf slowly becomes grown, and the plot sort of thickens. Poachers may come into play, maybe.

It's obviously just an idea as of yet. There's no motivation for me to actually do anything with it as of yet :/

Years
    • Age 31
    • AU
    • Seen Feb 18, 2023
    Sandbox roleplays are always fun, but remember motive and relevance is key! Sandbox roleplays usually rely on the player to motivate themselves to get to the next step or to interact or such.

Maybe -- like Lion King -- a alpha has died and a new one must take their place? At least as one of the arcs if you're planning for the long term. Or if you want to start where they are pups, perhaps they are leaders of certain families that all want the 'throne', but the pups have no quarrels with their cousins. Throw some game of thrones in here d:

Years
    • Seen Jan 31, 2023
    Sandbox roleplays are always fun, but remember motive and relevance is key! Sandbox roleplays usually rely on the player to motivate themselves to get to the next step or to interact or such.

Maybe -- like Lion King -- a alpha has died and a new one must take their place? At least as one of the arcs if you're planning for the long term. Or if you want to start where they are pups, perhaps they are leaders of certain families that all want the 'throne', but the pups have no quarrels with their cousins. Throw some game of thrones in here d:

Well, if people take interest, then that's my motivation :)

When I meant Lion King, I meant that Wolf Story would be similar to that universe, where animals can talk and have human emotions, and stuff like that :)

The RP though would start off as characters playing as the pups, however they are all from different packs (if players want to be part of the same pack that is fine). Each pack has their own territory in the forests, so occasionally there would be some disputes among packs. However, since cubs are curious beings, naturally, they would go out and venture when the parents aren't paying attention.

Nidoking76

Not splitting the party
    Years
  • However, since cubs are curious beings, naturally, they would go out and venture when the parents aren't paying attention.

That sounds dangerous xD

Anywho, I guess that sounds fun. Though I can't see much being able to go on in that. Maybe there could be events such as droughts? Also, you may want to make a map or something so the players can know where the hell they are.

Sephear

Believe in the you that believes in cheese
    Years
  • Reminds me vaguely of Warriors...god if someone would make a Warriors RP here I would be so happy. But I like the idea of wolf story too, go for it if you get enough material! :D

Last edited:
    Status
    Not open for further replies.
    Back