• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

Official Feedback Request: PokéCommunity Get-Together 2016 Ideas

Years
    • Age 27
    • OH
    • Seen Feb 26, 2024
    The only problem I really see with that is that a lot of people have already gotten a Skype username, and having to sign up for Discord is just another thing that people have to go out of their way to do. That, plus Skype chats have literally been a community staple for so many years, it wouldn't make sense to randomly change it, especially for those that don't come here often but do poke in the chats.

I would argue that signing up for an account is not really all that much of a problem. It's certainly less of a hassle than signing up for Skype. Not much I can really say about people that just stop by for the Skype chat, other than that if someone really is interested in joining a GT chat I doubt switching platforms will truly stop them from participating.

Reactions: EC

Skip Class

previously zappyspiker, but rainbow keeps trying t
    Years
  • Adding my two cents for GT discord instead of skype.

You technically don't even have to make an account on discord to access the chat/server. You can post a link and people will be able to just type a name in and start chatting. Kinda in the same way of browser skype, but that definitely a hassle for a lot of people with it not working for a fair few.
    UJv7dhR.png

As someone who was active pretty much every day on the last GT (or whatever the December get together was), I would definitely prefer to have discord instead of skype.

There was so much hassle with the daily calls constantly breaking (or people would somehow end up in a lone call by themselves accidentally, or a voice call just screwed some people over). Not to mention people complaining because some people who couldn't talk in calls would type and it would spam everyone and people who weren't in the calls would get annoyed. Thus people having to make a separate call group after the main chat call kept breaking and people were getting annoyed by call-text-spam - and due to that because there was a separate call group not everyone knew there was a call going on. Or there would be two calls going at the same time... it became really messy.

Everyone was complaining to how broken skype was an sounded like they were going to throw their computers out the window.

The discord text and voice channels have become a much better solution to this since everything will be on the same server (with less of the brokeness that skype has). If you wanted different chats for a GT Mafia, Roleplay iSketch, Movie streaming etc, without having to create a separate chat group for everyone to join every single time (as everything is on the same server).

Not against the GT chats staying on skype, but I personally wouldn't cough up the effort to go back to using skype again for the GT. Especially now that quite a number of PC members are using the PC discord server now and all the current skype chats/ supporter chat don't have as much activity as the discord server has since the start of this year.

bobandbill

one more time
    Years
  • I feel we could hold off on the Skype v Discord chat discussion for now. This thread is for figuring out the general theme, length and execution of the GT, rather than the specifics of events.
    6 days is actually a little short, considering how long our get-togethers have been in the past. I like the rest of the idea though, seems like quite a few people are suggesting generation/region-based events.
    I agree as well - 6 is too short. Two weeks seems to be a decent middle ground though.
    Had an idea.

The first six days there can be a region quiz everyday. Whoever answers the questions the fastest (correctly) becomes Champion for that region. These are sent via PM so no cheating. You'll place either first, second or third. First gives you 30 points, second 20 and third 10.

Every other event gives 15 points for 1st, 10 for 2nd and 5 for 3rd.

If you win a quiz you're Unova Champion for example, but unless you do well in the other events you can't become Pokémon Master.

For prizes, Pokémon Master can get a Mega Pokémon sprite in their postbit whereas the Champions get a starter of the region (their choice) in their postbit.

It's a cool way to make people want to get involved in the history of other regions and be involved in as many events as they can.

I'd also be happy to help organise this.
    One issue is that any sort of quiz is time-zone specific - not everyone can be on at the same time. I guess one way around it is for people to send the questions on request individually, but I then find that the questions not being publically viewable is a bit... less attractive. (Also, basing the main event on the quizzes means there's a lot ). Quizzes are a neat idea especially given the 20th anniversary deal; I'm just not quite sold yet on making them the main aspect or extending to being a 'champion' any more than other events (e.g. playing old games, creating art, etc).

Personally, we had a number of competitive GTs of late (regioned teams last year, then also the Survivor GT), so I wouldn't mind keeping the competitive elements to individual events this time around.

Ho-Oh

used Sacred Fire!
    Years
    • Seen Jul 1, 2023
    I feel we could hold off on the Skype v Discord chat discussion for now. This thread is for figuring out the general theme, length and execution of the GT, rather than the specifics of events. I agree as well - 6 is too short. Two weeks seems to be a decent middle ground though.
    One issue is that any sort of quiz is time-zone specific - not everyone can be on at the same time. I guess one way around it is for people to send the questions on request individually, but I then find that the questions not being publically viewable is a bit... less attractive. (Also, basing the main event on the quizzes means there's a lot ). Quizzes are a neat idea especially given the 20th anniversary deal; I'm just not quite sold yet on making them the main aspect or extending to being a 'champion' any more than other events (e.g. playing old games, creating art, etc).

Personally, we had a number of competitive GTs of late (regioned teams last year, then also the Survivor GT), so I wouldn't mind keeping the competitive elements to individual events this time around.
    Oh just wanting to clarify all questions would be public for 24 hours, but they pm the answers rather than post in the thread. I don't mind I just think for a 20 years event quizzes should defs be involved somehow.

Lumina

Lucid Melody
    Years
  • I feel we could hold off on the Skype v Discord chat discussion for now. This thread is for figuring out the general theme, length and execution of the GT, rather than the specifics of events.

I'm fairly certain that what platform the GT itself is hosted on is pretty important to the execution of the GT.

bobandbill

one more time
    Years
  • I'm fairly certain that what platform the GT itself is hosted on is pretty important to the execution of the GT.
    I disagree - that is for a single event (the chatting one) from my understanding. What other individual events may use (if it's needed to have a separate chat off the forums) would be up the organisers of said event, but that's really an issue of only one event that doesn't really affect how the theme of the whole GT is decided imo. The theme is what we're considering right now rather than the execution or specific events not central to the GT, and I don't follow how using skype or discord for the off-forum chatting event affects that.

Fannie

Don't let my milk go lumpy
    Years
    • Age 32
    • UK
    • Seen Dec 31, 2016
    I've never used Discord but Skype is a massive pain for me to use if I'm in a chat with more than about 4 other people. I use it because there are few people who don't have a Skype account. As someone who's never been to a GT I'd rather try out Discord than end up wanting to punch a wall lol.

Etherion

maybe this Nuzlocke event? I'm willing to host~
    scratch that BB idea

Each participant of this Nuzlocke event will be classified as a BENDER, each BENDER must sign up and choose which nation they represent in their run, note that choosing a nation will not only decide what kind of BENDER you are, but also effect what type of Pokemon you are allowed to use in your own respective runs. In order to make sure there won't be too many benders of a certain nation, i'll be adding a 2 Bender Maximum in each one.

Nations
    Spoiler:

Event Rules
    Spoiler:

Scoring System
    Spoiler:

Last edited:
    Years
  • If people wanted maybe there could be an 18-day GT, one day for each Pokemon type? That's like 2 ½ weeks though.

Candy

[img]http://i.imgur.com/snz4bEm.png[/img]
    Years
  • 18 days is too long.

If you're gonna host a GT, the maximum is probably around 10-14 days before everyone starts dying of boredom.

Flowerchild

fleeting assembly
    Years
  • Hmm... I like your idea Esper, but I agree with Candy that that's a little too long. We could go with that plan but group some types together like Rock/Ground? It's a little awkward but it could shorten it by a couple of days.

LegendChu

❤ CAREFREE, BUT CARING ❤
    Years
  • when i read the title i thought you were talking about meeting each other in person, a real get together haha...
    That would of been cool​
    That's actually a great idea, but given the number of users on this Forum, we'll either have to do that in a big Arena or book a small island for it {XD}.

Okay getting back to the subject, I'm not sure how these get-togethers are held & how many days they go on for, coz I've never been part of one. But I do have a suggestion.

See its 20 years since the inception of Pokemon, so maybe that could be the overall Theme, as some others have suggested. And as Candy suggested, maybe we can have this Event for about a fortnight (14 days). Two days each could be dedicated for each Generation (Gen VII included).

Days 1-2 - Kanto
    Days 3-4 - Johto
    Days 5-6 - Hoenn
    Days 7-8 - Sinnoh
    Days 9-10 - Unova
    Days 11-12 - Kalos
    Days 13-14 - Alola

Maybe new Elements introduced in each Gen could be used as a theme, for e.g. Pokemon Contests for Hoenn, Mega Evos for Kalos etc. or I mean something based on that (hopefully something will be out for Alola also by then).

Pika Pika :chu:

Years
    • they/them
    • Seen Apr 19, 2024
    I for one really liked the idea of a 20 day GT for the anniversary. During the summer, some (hello) can be really busy and I've often missed most of GT's activity for one reason or another. Make it a month (well, 20 days) filled with events and chatting! More than usual, I mean (: At least more than a week.

History of pokemon is in focus every anniversary. How about we make the GT about looking forward instead? Make use of the Community Region Dragon is reviving, emphazise fakedex projects and innovative and creative ways to look at the old regions. Have more Make A Mega contests and prevos and extra evos etc. Put Sun & Moon up front and maybe have a Discord channel dedicated to a speculation topic a day or something.

Future rather than nostalgia.

Last edited:
    Back