• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Please note that this section is for questions regarding the forum itself - it is not for fan game-related questions. If you have a question about a fan game, ask in the appropriate thread.

• Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

Suggestion: PokéCommunity wiki

Do you think a PokéCommunity wiki is a good idea?

• Yes! I'll definitely use it!

Votes: 21 47.7%
  • I can see how it would be useful, even if I may not use it myself.

Votes: 10 22.7%
  • I don't mind either way/I don't care.

Votes: 7 15.9%
  • It's a bad idea./I don't see it catching on./It's not worth it.

Votes: 5 11.4%
  • Absolutely not! Forums and wikis should never be mixed!

Votes: 1 2.3%

• Total voters

Maruno

Lead Dev of Pokémon Essentials
    Years
    • Seen May 3, 2024
    Some wikis have limits on the size/type of files you can upload, and often zip/rar files aren't allowed. Somehow I doubt our wiki will be able to be used as a file storage space.

I'm sure the wiki will be accessible to everyone. However, only certain people will be allowed to edit it (e.g. only registered members).

Salvation

To be saved.
    Years
    Tbh, this wouldn't hurt the strategies and movesets either as I can see but I don't represent any of them soo~ just me

.Gamer

»»───knee─►
    Years
    I guess, for like ROMs and Art and such. There is already Bulbapedia for every pokemon question. And (most) movesets can be looked up on Smogon, so it kinda feels redundant imo.

I solely use the ROMHacking forum on PokeCommunity, and rarely post anywhere else. If implemented right, I think the wiki would be one of the best things to happen to the ROMHacking sub-community here. My only concern would be that it morphs into the Scrapbox's revenge. And I've made my opinion known how much I hated that spam filled death trap :P. There'd have to be a restriction on what hacks can be given a hack page and what can't. I'm not sure what atrocities the Game Development forum has seen, but back in ROMHacking, there've been quite a lot of spamming noobs who think that turning a sign into a talking tree automatically makes them hacking gods. That's my main fear regarding the wiki from a ROMHacking prospective.

However, I think the potential for this project far outweighs the risks. It's impossible for a hacker (or a game developer I'd imagine) to remember all the techniques they need to use all the time. I often find myself pouring over the Tutorials section so I can find that one simple little thing I forgot how to do, which wastes a lot of time. With the wiki, any additional ways to make a change could be documented on its page, and a convenient and easy to read list could be made of all the tutorial articles. There wouldn't be as much clutter either, seeing as I sometimes find myself going through several pages to find an addition to a tutorial or something.

It'd be the same for hacks. All updates would be in an easy to find place on their hack page. Instead of going through six pages of "GG don't quit" and other words of encouragement that you're not interested in reading just to find all the updates and screenshots, everything could be found on the hack's wiki page. Discussion would still be done on the forum, but the wiki would put everything into an easy to find and easy to update format. Little changes not worth a post could also be documented on the wiki. The same would apply to tools.

A wiki would seem to be a natural step in the growth process of the ROMHacking community here at PC, and would benefit ROMHackers and newbies immensely.

Corvus of the Black Night

Wild Duck Pokémon
    Years
    I wouldn't be interested in a Pokecommunity Wiki - couldn't we collaborate with Bulbapedia and just have a section there (instead of a page)? To be honest, it would mainly be about Pokecommunity's features and members... which isn't really all that wikia-like.

A rom-hacking Wiki? I could see that. Pokecommunity? No.

Angela

Aristocracy
    Years
    So I like this idea so far and I hope it gets done, tho I do have some questions about one thing. If you do this would this mean that PC would get like a website or a front pages (Not sure what it's called), and if so what would be on it? I mean would members be allowed to submit Pokemon related news and such?

Also in the wiki, would we be allowed to add graphics tutorials to it and also explanations of basic concepts, such as depth, flow and light source and more? Also could all the tuts in this thread be added into the wiki?

Maruno

Years
    • Seen May 3, 2024
    So I like this idea so far and I hope it gets done, tho I do have some questions about one thing. If you do this would this mean that PC would get like a website or a front pages (Not sure what it's called), and if so what would be on it? I mean would members be allowed to submit Pokemon related news and such?
    I'm pretty sure the forum will remain the main part of PokéCommunity. The wiki would be like a resource area that supplements it. PokéCommunity will remain at least mostly a forum.

Also in the wiki, would we be allowed to add graphics tutorials to it and also explanations of basic concepts, such as depth, flow and light source and more? Also could all the tuts in this thread be added into the wiki?
    They're part of PokéCommunity. I don't see why not.

Permission should be obtained from the authors to copy them to the wiki, though. And that permission may forbid anyone but the author from editing it, if they want to keep it strictly theirs (this is particularly true for tutorials/etc. involving personal taste/style, since everyone would be trying to edit their own tastes into it otherwise).

Users that don't want other people editing their tutorial should probably put their tutorial into a sub-page of their user page. It's common courtesy that only the user can edit their own pages.

theonexd

Good bye :(
    Years
    • Age 27
    • Seen Aug 14, 2013
    This will take some time though. The PC Staff might need help and ask members to post good info.

Maruno

Years
    • Seen May 3, 2024
    I think you've got that the wrong way round. The wiki isn't for the staff to create and the rest of us to look at; it's for everyone to contribute to and use how they want.

I hope the people building the wiki don't go overboard with what they think is needed at the start. Yes, it'd be nice to have a framework in place for people to add to, but the wiki doesn't need to be fully "completed" before anyone else is allowed to see it. Let the users copy across the Essentials kit notes and the Advance Map description and what have you.

I hope the wiki gets opened soon.

Pikachu Trainer~

PokéDex Project
    Years
    I think you have come up with a great idea, Maruno. I'm sure plenty of people on the forums will use it and it could be worth while making. But I do believe that staff should moderate the wiki articles, so when an article is posted it will not go straight on to the wiki, a staff member must first look at it and then accept it. Hopefully your idea will happen Maruno :D

Back