• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.
Years
  • Hello Pokécommunity!
    I wasn't sure were to post this or anyone discuss about this topic. I'm pretty sure most of you know about Pokémon bootleg games, right? Some popular ROM hacks get ported to a Game Boy Advance cartridge. For example: Pokémon ShinyGold, Pokémon Naranja and Pokémon Quartz.

Anyways, I made this thread just to ask anyone do they have a high quality image of the original bootleg box art of the games? The box art even on the back of the box with screen shots from other games like Pokémon Diamond and Pearl. If anyone somehow have these box art, please share them here.

Here is what I'm talking about:
    Pokémon Bootleg Box Art
    Pokémon Bootleg Box Art
    Pokémon Bootleg Box Art
    Pokémon Bootleg Box Art
    Pokémon Bootleg Box Art
    Pokémon Bootleg Box Art
    Pokémon Bootleg Box Art
    Pokémon Bootleg Box Art

Game List

Pokémon Arcoiris Version
    Original ROM Maker: SPRIHACK NET

Aquiles

Numus, Ra, and Serg!o
    Box Art: Shadow Lugia from Pokémon XD: Gale of Darkness
    Back: Gardenia, and Shadow Lugia in the background
    Screenshots: One from Diamond and Pearl and two from Quartz
    Spoiler: Blurb

Pokémon BlueSea Edition
    Original ROM Maker:

*Neos*

Box Art: Blastoise from the Pokémon Trading Card Game
    Back: Brendan and May from Pokémon Emerald
    Screenshots:

Pokémon Chaos Black Version
    Original ROM Maker:

Enix-Zae

Mewthree //Samson
    Box Art: Chaos 0 from Sonic Battle
    Back: Brendan and May from Pokémon Emerald
    Screenshots: Custom from Pokémon Emerald

Pokémon Crystal Version
    Original ROM Maker:???
    Box Art: Suicune
    Back: Brendan, May, and Treecko from Pokémon Emerald
    Top: Torchic
    Left: Mudkip

Pokémon DarkCry Version
    Original ROM Maker:

mitchel1

Box Art: Mew
    Back: Mewtwo, and Lucas from Pokémon Diamond and Pearl

Pokémon Frigo Returns
    Original ROM Maker: Poké4Yu Inc
    Box Art: Michael from Pokémon XD: Gale of Darkness; and Lucario
    Back: Misty (Fan art?), Togepi, and Pikachu
    Screenshots: From Pokemon Diamond and Pearl

Pokémon Lugias Ocean Version
    Original ROM Maker: ???
    Box Art: Lugia fan art made by "Articuno" on DeviantArt (The Game Boy Advance branding now says "GAME FOR ADVANCE")
    Back: Red, Leaf, and Blue from Pokémon FireRed and LeafGreen
    Screenshots: From Pokemon Emerald

Pokémon Naranja Version
    Original ROM Maker:

Sergio--

Box Art: Celebi
    Back: Ash from Pokémon Advance, and Suicune
    Screenshots: One from Diamond and Pearl, and three from Naranja

Pokémon Perla Version
    Original ROM Maker: EMU LG
    Box Art: Lucario
    Back: Lucario, Ash, Pikachu, Mew, and part of Sir Aaron from Lucario and the Mystery of Mew; and Weavile
    Screenshots: From Pokémon Diamond and Pearl
    Top: Munchlax
    Left: Buizel

Pokémon Quartz Version
    Original ROM Maker:

Teh Baro

Box Art: Gyarados from Pokémon Trading Card Game expansion "EX Holon Phantoms"
    Back: Game screenshots

Pokémon ShinyGold Version
    Original ROM Maker:

zel 2.0

Box Art: Light spirit Aska from Tales of Symphonia, but with one of his heads removed
    Back: Lucas and Dawn from Pokémon Diamond and Pearl
    Screenshots: Five from an early version of ShinyGold, and a banner for the hack?

Thank you.

Last edited:
    Years
    • she / they
    • Seen Jan 12, 2024
    Aw man, I don't have any of the game boxes but I LOVE coming across bootleg/counterfeit Pokemon cards so I understand your search lol. I hope you're able to find the pics you're looking for!

Years
  • Aw man, I don't have any of the game boxes but I LOVE coming across bootleg/counterfeit Pokemon cards so I understand your search lol. I hope you're able to find the pics you're looking for!

Thanks, I did find some online but there not an exact replica of the box.

Years
    • Seen Jun 28, 2021
    Here in Belgium it was quite hard to get a copy of Platinum and Black 2 last year. I managed to get both but without box. This irks me.. Love the bootleg designs by the way! Especially the Mew and Gyarados ones.

Years
  • Here in Belgium it was quite hard to get a copy of Platinum and Black 2 last year. I managed to get both but without box. This irks me.. Love the bootleg designs by the way! Especially the Mew and Gyarados ones.

Yeah it can be annoying to get a game without the original box or case. I would buy a empty case of the game online.
    I agree the designs look really cool. The picture of Gyarados was taken from the Pokémon TCG expansion EX Holon Phantoms and the Chaos Black box is a picture of Chaos from the Sonic series. I really hope someone have renders of the covers for printing, it would be somewhat interesting to have for a collection.

Last edited:
    Years
  • I know this thread hasn't had any interactions in a long while, but I want to expand on this topic. I was thinking about listing sources, videos, and more here.

In the past, people on YouTube have done unboxing videos of them opening and playing a bootleg game. If it's alright, I was thinking if anyone finds an old video, they can post links here and tell us what game(s) they've unboxed and played. Even a video of someone showing their official Pokémon collection, and they show that they own a bootleg copy of a game. Hopefully, anyone would be interested.

I originally created this thread to ask anyone if they have any high-quality scans or copies of bootleg box art. This is still the case. A lot of the covers obviously stole official art. For example, the cover for Pokémon Quartz used a picture of Gyarados from the Pokémon Trading Card Game expansion "EX Holon Phantoms". I was wondering if anyone knew the original source of the cover art. Like who made the box art and the booklets for the bootleg games. If anyone is great at making custom box art, it would be nice if you could make a recreation of the original box art. Make it as it was made for an original Game Boy Advance, not for a Nintendo DS cover, and post it here. It would be nice if you could make the box all glittery and shiny like the original box. I'm not trying to encourage piracy. I'll update this post later, when I have time.

Years
  • I'll have to go digging at my parents' house.

Years ago, my friends went on holiday to Turkey, where they brought me and my brother back Pokémon Arcoiris and Chaos Black. I'm 90% sure I could get the box for Arcoiris and scan it, but it'll be a while before I'm back there…

At any rate, as you've said yourself, all of these box arts use official artwork cobbled together to form their box art (although some have some actual holographic qualities, which is surprising). But with enough time and effort you could recreate them in Photoshop pretty handily, if you're looking to print your own boxes.

Years
  • I'll have to go digging at my parents' house.

Years ago, my friends went on holiday to Turkey, where they brought me and my brother back Pokémon Arcoiris and Chaos Black. I'm 90% sure I could get the box for Arcoiris and scan it, but it'll be a while before I'm back there…

At any rate, as you've said yourself, all of these box arts use official artwork cobbled together to form their box art (although some have some actual holographic qualities, which is surprising). But with enough time and effort you could recreate them in Photoshop pretty handily, if you're looking to print your own boxes.
    That's cool that you had some of the games. Good luck on your search.

I would print my own boxes if I could find the perfect holographic paper material and a working printer.
    But if we're lucky, we could find high-quality pictures of the art online. I remember seeing digital pictures of Naranja's front art, but they're pretty low quality, and one for Frigo Returns, which seems like a recreation.

Years
  • I updated the thread to include details on the bootleg games, such as blurbs. It's pretty difficult to find pictures of the backs of the boxes. I had saved some before, but unfortunately, they got lost and deleted. Some may even be lost online for good. I'm sort of treating this as a lost media.

Edit 1: I'm almost finished listing the blurbs for the games. Some were pretty bizarre. I just took a deep search through Google Images and surprisingly found some, especially Crystal. The last one is Lugia's Ocean, and I can't find pictures of the back of the box at the moment.

Edit 2: Alright, I found a picture of the back of Lugia's Ocean's box, so now I have all the blurbs for all of the current games listed. It seems like the bootleggers also used fan art for some of those boxes. The picture of Misty on the back of Frigo Returns looks like fan art, and the picture of Lugia for Lugia's Ocean is also fan art. I wonder if the pictures of Celebi for Naranja and Blastoise for BlueSea are fan art also. I can't find the original images for them. Any help would be nice. I will try to add more stuff to this thread. I may even add some links to some old unboxing videos from YouTube here.

Edit 3: I think I've found the original image of the Celebi for the Naranja box art! It looks like an official wallpaper from Game Freak. The one I found seems pretty low quality, and I don't know if there's a higher-quality image.
    Pokémon Bootleg Box Art

Last edited:
    Back