• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

Emerald hack: Pokémon CosmicEmerald Version [Updated! 12/24/2019]

Years
    • Seen Jul 28, 2021
    Hi !
    I just have a single question, i'm essentially new in this forum so please excuse me if i'm just a little lost.
    I was hyped up when i got this ROM for my birthday actually, mostly because emerald is my all time favorite and by seeing all the features you implemented, i knew this was going to be great. Anyway, i got to say, incredible work on this one !
    The physical special split for me personally is a must have, and unfortunately i don't find the patch you mentionned. "Δ Phys/Spec Split are each now included as optional patches you can toggle on/off".
    So am I completely lost and is this patch only accessible on emulator, or can I activate the split patch in my cartridge game anywhere ?

Last edited:
    Years
  • Hi !
    I just have a single question, i'm essentially new in this forum so please excuse me if i'm just a little lost.
    I was hyped up when i got this ROM for my birthday actually, mostly because emerald is my all time favorite and by seeing all the features you implemented, i knew this was going to be great. Anyway, i got to say, incredible work on this one !
    The physical special split for me personally is a must have, and unfortunately i don't find the patch you mentionned. "Δ Phys/Spec Split are each now included as optional patches you can toggle on/off".
    So am I completely lost and is this patch only accessible on emulator, or can I activate the split patch in my cartridge game anywhere ?

After you extract the zip file, you'll patch the game like normal and then there is another folder labeled "Additional patches" one of which being the Physical/Special split. This patch works on actual hardware, if you want to use your original Emerald save file what you need to do is put your cart into the GBA slot of a DS, then load up a DS flash cart with the "GBA Backup Tool" ROM to backup your original save file. Then you can just rename it to the same thing as the Cosmic Emerald name and dump both into your GBA flash cart and play with real hardware.

Years
    • Seen Jul 28, 2021
    Ok so i don't fully undestrand what you are saying, mainly due to the fact that i have never used any hack roms or emulators. All i am familiar with is regular pokémon with the regular pokémon cartridges in my GBA/DS, sorry about that.
    So now what I have in my hands is :
    _ a cosmic emerald GBA cartridge,
    _the zip file from the download section in the first page, and yes i saw the "Additionnal patches" folder like you mentionned with the physpecsplit.
    And now, what do i do to get this patch into my hardware, my cosmic emerald GBA version ?

Last edited:
    Years
  • Ok so i don't fully undestrand what you are saying, mainly due to the fact that i have never used any hack roms or emulators. All i am familiar with is regular pokémon with the regular pokémon cartridges in my GBA/DS, sorry about that.
    So now what I have in my hands is :
    _ a cosmic emerald GBA cartridge,
    _the zip file from the download section in the first page, and yes i saw the "Additionnal patches" folder like you mentionned with the physpecsplit.
    And now, what do i do to get this patch into my hardware, my cosmic emerald GBA version ?

It depends on how you got the game on the cartridge. There are 2 ways I know of, one of which is moving the patched .GBA file onto a special cart (like an Everdrive for example), and the other of which is buying the game somewhere as a cartridge, which I really wouldn't recommend. The reason for that is because if you have no tools or adapter to get the game and/or save file off of the cartridge, you won't be able to apply any patches to it.

There's one device I got for only about $35 and used it to extract the old saves from my real cartridges (as well as dump the ROMs to check their integrity). I can't remember what it is called right now but there are several out there. I don't know how well they'd work with ROM hacks though.

Last edited:
    Years
    • Seen Jul 28, 2021
    It depends on how you got the game on the cartridge. There are 2 ways I know of, one of which is moving the patched .GBA file onto a special cart (like an Everdrive for example), and the other of which is buying the game somewhere as a cartridge, which I really wouldn't recommend. The reason for that is because if you have no tools or adapter to get the game and/or save file off of the cartridge, you won't be able to apply any patches to it.
    There's one device I got for only about $35 and used it to extract the old saves from my real cartridges (as well as dump the ROMs to check their integrity). I can't remember what it is called right now but there are several out there. I don't know how well they'd work with ROM hacks though.

OK thanks a lot for clearing the situtation. I actually got offered the cosmic emerald cart so yeah that's not the most adequate way to patch it apparently.
    Considering the 2 options i'll go with the unpatched version and stick to the good old gengar physical shadow ball lmao

Beside of that i have a quick question : Is the "Thick club" lootable on the Route 111 Cubone ?

Years
  • OK thanks a lot for clearing the situtation. I actually got offered the cosmic emerald cart so yeah that's not the most adequate way to patch it apparently.
    Considering the 2 options i'll go with the unpatched version and stick to the good old gengar physical shadow ball lmao

Beside of that i have a quick question : Is the "Thick club" lootable on the Route 111 Cubone ?

I checked Cubone's game data just now to be sure, and yes it still has the Thick Club but as a rare drop, which is the default. The only issue I see however is that considering how rare Cubone itself is in this game, it may be a real pain to find one with the Thick Club. The chance of finding Cubone here is 2%, while chances of it holding a TC is 5%, which leaves you a mere tenth of a percent chance of finding a Cubone with a TC. This is something that's going to need fixing before the next update because that's just ridiculous. It would probably be less hassle to find one in FR/LG and trade it over for now.

As for the game cartridge, I'd consider also playing the game on an emulator if you want to see all the optional features. You also get the ability to fast-forward which is helpful too, but then again having it on a physical cart just has a more authentic feel to it.

Last edited:
    Years
    • Seen Jul 28, 2021
    Hey it's me again, i encountered a wild Lv19 Paras in the Meteor Falls while i was farming EVs, in the first zone with normally only Zubat Solrock and Lunatone
    I checked in the original game locations and your location guide and i can confirm there is no place for a Paras here
    Also i found it between my 90-100 encounter so it must be pretty damn rare, maybe a 1%, if not just a random bug
    So yeah i'm just reporting a bug or a thing you forgot to mention in your location guide.

Oh and Also, the machine that is supposed to toggle of the calls on the PokéNav in prof Birch lab is an add on patch ?
    Because i don't find anything in the lab. I was thinking about this big purple-ish dome-like machine in the right side but it doesn't seem to do anyhting.

Last edited:
    Years
  • Hey it's me again, i encountered a wild Lv19 Paras in the Meteor Falls while i was farming EVs, in the first zone with normally only Zubat Solrock and Lunatone
    I checked in the original game locations and your location guide and i can confirm there is no place for a Paras here
    Also i found it between my 90-100 encounter so it must be pretty damn rare, maybe a 1%, if not just a random bug
    So yeah i'm just reporting a bug or a thing you forgot to mention in your location guide.

Oh and Also, the machine that is supposed to toggle of the calls on the PokéNav in prof Birch lab is an add on patch ?
    Because i don't find anything in the lab. I was thinking about this big purple-ish dome-like machine in the right side but it doesn't seem to do anyhting.

Paras being there was actually intentional, though I did in fact forget to add that location for it in the guide. The good thing is that it's a lot more common in its other location. Thank you for pointing it out, I'll be fixing the guide.

The call disabler is built into the game, I have no toggling patch for it since you can turn it on/off without a patch. The purple-domed machine in the lab is indeed the right one, it should reference the ability to disable the calls when you interact with it. Though the call disabling only works if you have the PokéNav already. It won't disable important story-related calls, just the random ones from typical Trainers about how their day is going.

Years
    • Seen Jul 28, 2021
    [[[[Also if you'd like to RNG-abuse for Shinies, high IVs, etc., you are way better off doing it on regular R/S/E since CE's PRNG and encounter slots are too different. Finding random/stationary Shiny encounters is apparently still 1/8192, though I can't guarantee they'd have 'legal' PIDs (if this matters at all to you of course).

Δ Emerald's PRNG ("pseudo-random number generator") glitch has been fixed by re-enabling its unused PRNG system, as well as adding another structure that gives it more randomness]]]]

So if I understand it well, it means that there is no longer the "frame system" from the original emerald version. And that hypothetically i could safely SoftReset Steven's Beldum, without risking to be stuck in non shiny frames ?

Years
  • [[[[Also if you'd like to RNG-abuse for Shinies, high IVs, etc., you are way better off doing it on regular R/S/E since CE's PRNG and encounter slots are too different. Finding random/stationary Shiny encounters is apparently still 1/8192, though I can't guarantee they'd have 'legal' PIDs (if this matters at all to you of course).

Δ Emerald's PRNG ("pseudo-random number generator") glitch has been fixed by re-enabling its unused PRNG system, as well as adding another structure that gives it more randomness]]]]

So if I understand it well, it means that there is no longer the "frame system" from the original emerald version. And that hypothetically i could safely SoftReset Steven's Beldum, without risking to be stuck in non shiny frames ?

I'm 99% sure it now works as intended, but will only be completely sure once it can be confirmed with debugging. Although I have some experience with RNG manipulation, I don't know how to consistently check what is on a particular frame in this case. In the meantime someone with more debugging knowledge than me can better help with this one.

----

Also I wanted to mention that development on the game is still active. For now I'm fixing stuff, here's some successful changes for an upcoming release:

- Fixed the problem where the customized clothing colors do not show in water reflections
    - Allowed running in Pacifidlog and Fortree, but not on the bridges and logs by default (causes loss of tile animation)
    --- Created add-on patches ("Lightweight_ON, OFF") to toggle running on the bridges and logs as well as up Fortree ladders
    - Made it so that Cubone and Marowak always hold the Thick Club item instead of it being a rare drop
    - New link for Secret Word Generator: https://www.pokewiki.de/Spezial:Geheimcode-Generator?uselang=en
    - Updated Paras' entry in the Locations Guide and changed its encounter rate
    - Fixed some non-blending gray colors in Victory Road

Several more fixes and updates are in progress right now, thank you to everyone in this thread for the feedback and ideas. You guys are the real reason this keeps getting better.

Last edited:
    Years
    • Seen Mar 10, 2023
    Is there a way to see which moves are physical/special or just the general stats of all the moves? Also how does speed up (with m-gba specifically) have an effect on the time system?

Years
  • Is there a way to see which moves are physical/special or just the general stats of all the moves? Also how does speed up (with m-gba specifically) have an effect on the time system?

To see which moves are physical or special, look at the moveset as normal in the menu for that Pokémon and you should see an icon image that tells you. Without the phys/spec split patch, it just depends on what type/element the move is, as in the normal version of the game.

As for speeding up emulation, from my experience it doesn't affect the clock in the game. This is at least true if the in-game clock is linked to system time for what device you're playing on, which mGBA is set to do by default if I remember right.

Years
    • Seen Oct 13, 2023
    Having a weird bug with the game where the New Mauville event isn't starting. Did you change the trigger for it, or is there a glitch? Playing on a Everdrive GBA x5 Mini running on a GBA SP.

Years
  • Having a weird bug with the game where the New Mauville event isn't starting. Did you change the trigger for it, or is there a glitch? Playing on a Everdrive GBA x5 Mini running on a GBA SP.

It's a post-game event now, supposed to activate when the National Dex has at least 150 Pokémon captured. The Thunderbolt TM is found on Route 123 instead, and is accessible once you've gotten that far in the game.

Years
    • Seen Nov 11, 2022
    It would be cool if you added an IV perfecter and Nature changer to the battle frontier. Nice hack btw

Years
    • Seen Dec 28, 2022
    Are new features still being added to this game? Or is it just bug fixes/updates?

If new features are being added, id like to see legendary pokemon available for multiple catches. Along with ways to modify IV's, and mass increase EVs like in gen 7. Battle frontier is based on competitive pokemon after all.

Years
    • Seen Dec 25, 2020
    Hello! Forgive me if there are typo in this post of mine, I'm typing using mobile.

I do have a question, not sure if you'll reply but I noticed something odd, start of my playthrough I seem to run into National Dex pokemons, so I decided to catch all available ones that I could before I battled the E4, and in the Hoenn Dex, no. 131 & 132 were blank, even though I already caught them and they're in my PC (If I'm not mistaken, its Baltoy & Claydol.) Is that normal? Or did I bug the game by catching them National Dex mons early in game?

Also, just a tiny thought - I forgot how the fishing in game was really annoying since I'm using mobile emulator and I often miss bites (screen sometimes doesn't respond to the button) Maybe have it set like FR/LG style?

Overall though, I just want to say I love this hack, esp the Night/Day cycles and replaced the annoying trade to evolve feature with the stone. Thank you very much for this :D IMO, its more improved and enjoyable than the regular Emerald

Years
  • It would be cool if you added an IV perfecter and Nature changer to the battle frontier. Nice hack btw

Sounds interesting, though unfortunately I have no plans to add those right now. That may change in the future, and thank you for the compliment!

Are new features still being added to this game? Or is it just bug fixes/updates?

If new features are being added, id like to see legendary pokemon available for multiple catches. Along with ways to modify IV's, and mass increase EVs like in gen 7. Battle frontier is based on competitive pokemon after all.

Most of what I'm doing now is fixing the problems people have mentioned, but the possibility of new features is still on the table.

I did have the idea of making it so that most (if not all) Legendaries return again after maybe a couple of months, I'll have to figure out how to implement it properly first.

As for IVs and EVs, at the moment I don't know of a way to modify those in-game other than what is normally available. Though I imagine allowing direct changing of IVs would take away the fun of searching/breeding for Pokémon with competitive stats. A big problem that bugs me though is how the Battle Frontier has way too many maxed IV/EV Pokémon, it should be a little more random. Unfortunately that's another one I don't know how to fix, and another reason why I'll have to practice on using the Emerald disassembly.

Hello! Forgive me if there are typo in this post of mine, I'm typing using mobile.

I do have a question, not sure if you'll reply but I noticed something odd, start of my playthrough I seem to run into National Dex pokemons, so I decided to catch all available ones that I could before I battled the E4, and in the Hoenn Dex, no. 131 & 132 were blank, even though I already caught them and they're in my PC (If I'm not mistaken, its Baltoy & Claydol.) Is that normal? Or did I bug the game by catching them National Dex mons early in game?

Also, just a tiny thought - I forgot how the fishing in game was really annoying since I'm using mobile emulator and I often miss bites (screen sometimes doesn't respond to the button) Maybe have it set like FR/LG style?

Overall though, I just want to say I love this hack, esp the Night/Day cycles and replaced the annoying trade to evolve feature with the stone. Thank you very much for this :D IMO, its more improved and enjoyable than the regular Emerald

The PokéDex thing is weird, I've not had that problem when I tested it. I left the PokéDex data structure exactly the same as the normal game, from what I understand the it might have switched PokéDex modes automatically and what you are seeing are the National Dex numbers for Lapras and Ditto. You can switch it back in the menu, I think you have to press either Select or Start while viewing the Dex to see the options for it.

About the fishing system, yeah one of the things I've wanted to do was change it to the simpler one from the other games. I tried this a long time ago but ended up running into the problem described in this thread here: https://www.pokecommunity.com/showthread.php?t=410590
    I have no idea if it's been fixed now. EDIT: Actually, I did a little more reading into the thread and Struedelmuffin says it works if implemented properly, maybe something else I was testing at the time was causing problems. I'll definitely be trying again, this would be a very nice feature.

Also thank you for the kind words! I went into making this with the intention of turning it more into the game I really wanted it to be, and shared it because I knew others out there would have wanted it.

Last edited:
    Years
    • Seen Dec 28, 2022
    Most of what I'm doing now is fixing the problems people have mentioned, but the possibility of new features is still on the table.

I did have the idea of making it so that most (if not all) Legendaries return again after maybe a couple of months, I'll have to figure out how to implement it properly first.

As for IVs and EVs, at the moment I don't know of a way to modify those in-game other than what is normally available. Though I imagine allowing direct changing of IVs would take away the fun of searching/breeding for Pokémon with competitive stats. A big problem that bugs me though is how the Battle Frontier has way too many maxed IV/EV Pokémon, it should be a little more random. Unfortunately that's another one I don't know how to fix, and another reason why I'll have to practice on using the Emerald disassembly.

Ah I see.

I'm a huge fan of this rom, and it's nearly perfect to me. That's why I was curious if it was being worked on still. Its a near perfect version of my first pokemon game, but i have admittedly been spoiled by new gens.

Either way, thanks for the reply.

Years
    • Seen Dec 28, 2022
    Stupid question, but where is Lapras? I looked at a guide that said it was at M.Falls on monday (Today at the time of this post) and i got a call saying its in the main room. But i'm not getting it. Is it a random encounter? Is it a visible pokemon on the map like Snorlax? Any help would be great.

Back